The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

My reading of ERs this morning was interrupted by my Service Provider ceasing to provide, so I have only read up to Jock's post at midday. Mike (long time friend and fellow table companion) went for our monthly Breakfast Special to the Local Spur's this morning and thoroughly enjoyed their FEB.

The Sun was/is shining in an only slightly cloud flecked blue sky with a temp of 20C. I omitted one of my usual three jerseys for the day but may well don it as the Sun sets this evening.

I hope your Monday was happy and successful.

• Like 1

AndyB I called up your FlightRadar link and it took me immediately to a Cape Town to Jo'burg flight half way on it's flight heading NE laterally between Kimberley and Bloemfontein. Fantatstic,

I have just been back to put it in my Bookmarks and there was the original pane, now further on it's rour with another small plane approaching Kimberley.

Unbelievable 

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 3

AndyB I called up your FlightRadar link and it took me immediately to a Cape Town to Jo'burg flight half way on it's flight heading NE laterally between Kimberley and Bloemfontein. Fantatstic,

I have just been back to put it in my Bookmarks and there was the original pane, now further on it's rour with another small plane approaching Kimberley.

Unbelievable 

Good show, Don. Glad it's providing some fun.

It doesn't seem too busy down in your neck of the woods, but if you zoom out and move up to Europe or north America it's like an ant heap of activity!

Afternoon all

A bit late because it was an early start this morning for Gabe and one son to go to Hampden for the morning's CG athletics session. Train across to Queen Street - all six coaches - was rammed by Haymarket (the first stop about a mile west of Waverley for those who don't know Edinburgh) and by Falkirk was what the Daily Mail would probably call dangerously overcrowded.

Whatever, the day was great. I like the way that Commonwealth and para-Commonwealth sports play alongside each other. So we had women's 1500m heats alongside men's para-Discus (the bronze medal winner was a Nigerian with one leg who threw hanging onto a support with the other hand). There was men's High Jump alongside heats for the women's para 100m, which included blind runners with a guide (one of them managed 11 seconds), and others with various disabilities, such as cerebral palsy. It brought tears to one's eyes when the last runner in one of the heats finished in 24 seconds - a highlight because it was a personal best. I wonder if the Olympics should do the same.

The day was hot after the haar burned off.

Everyone left at the same time for the free buses, of course, so there was a 600m queue for those but it moved quite quickly - the downside was that Glasgow hadn't laid on special games bus lanes back into the city and a 10 minute ride took half an hour. Other than that the games organisation has been exemplary.

Hope your day has been as good

Mal

• Like 9

Morning all - bright & sunny so far today, which is just as well as we have builders coming (hopefully) to replace a rusty lintel above the front door.  I trust that their building is better than their spelling, as in the quote, lintel was spelled as 'lentil' which rather amused me.

We had a builder in France who quoted us for some half-timbering. He referred to Column Barge...

I know it's not models but it is trains, so apologies.

When we came through Clapham Junction this afternoon there was a BR Blue EMU with small yellow panels parked up in what used to be the carriage sidings.

Anyone got any ideas/knowledge?

I know it's not models but it is trains, so apologies.

When we came through Clapham Junction this afternoon there was a BR Blue EMU with small yellow panels parked up in what used to be the carriage sidings.

Anyone got any ideas/knowledge?

That sounds like me. I mean my avatar. 4VEP 3417? Probably not actually... It was in Clapham yard almost exactly a year ago but was then meant to have been towed down to Swanage...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

station cat - first time I've ever seen a train with a roll cage... and on the outside... truly bizarre! Great shots.

I think that the passenger “pods” tilt within the frame depending on the inclination (but you probably already know that).

Glad to see that the Tyrol area has not changed a lot (apart from the roads) since I was there in 1964 (or was it 1963).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure Pete must be right. I think it lives there these days. ISTR there was some ownership tie-up with the Bluebell, it got named after Gordon Pettit, SR's last real GM (John Ellis followed him but times had changed and the role was less effective), but where can you berth an EMU in safety from the vandals?

Tax Man was easy, and I filled in the forms. After a bit of shopping I came home to find Sheena taking Deb's bike away as we had agreed, so that's another eyesore gone!

Thunderstorm for about the last hour, but easing off now, I have finally got round to making real use of the UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) that came with Deb's stairlift, so if we get an outage I can carry on playing RMweb in the gloom. And yes, I have remembered to plug the modem into it, as well!

• Like 2

Dog was treated with anti- sick injection and antibiotics for gastroenteritis. To moor we start on the pills to continue the treatment. And the syringe of gut bacteria. She's OK with pills but the syringe is a no-no! That's my job.

And I've just learned how expensive caravan loo replacements are. Collect it on Wednesday.

And now to start the barbecue.

• RMweb Premium

Busy day.. longish game as the temperature slowed the players down..

Hope Mike gets to Darlo OK.... it should be Ok there in the summer it used to be Freezing every time I travelled through it in the winter, 

I would have liked to journey North tomorrow myself but due to other commitments I can't... look forward to the frothing coming to a sensible end (but no doubt there will be more teddies out of the cot..)

Have a nice evening

Baz

• Like 1

Glad to see that the Tyrol area has not changed a lot (apart from the roads) since I was there in 1964 (or was it 1963).

Best, Pete.

If you stood anywhere in Innsbruck and looked around, you could see the Inntal pretty much as it was at the end of the last Ice Age -

If it wasn't for the 'ouses in between ...

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

I'm caught up - it took about 30 minutes from my last post - this area sure is getting busy. 

Hope that all is continuing to improve for Sherry (and Ian, of course), and also that Debs manages to get over her migraine soon.

Not a lot to report here except that the top of the garden still seems to be smelling of Jeyes - I swear that I'll not be using that substance again.

Regards to All

Stewart

If you stood anywhere in Innsbruck and looked around, you could see the Inntal pretty much as it was at the end of the last Ice Age -

If it wasn't for the 'ouses in between ...

I remember a classic view in Innsbruck in 1981 - the view down from the top of the big ski jump.  I just could not imagine how anyone with any sanity would slide down it on a couple of wooden planks and leap into space.  I have found a picture that I took then from the bottom looking back up:

post-9029-0-40527800-1406579589_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all! Now in our London hideout after about 1,102 kilometres of mainline trains across Europe, and cream crackered. Anyone know some good places to eat in Westminster?

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but given the platform gates I saw at St Pancras, do you know whether the staff can be persuaded to let me take a few photos? I'd appreciate any suggestions for good photo locations, too!

• Like 3