The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all,  late on parade (for) me,  seem to be needing a lot of sleep at the moment?  - Three hours yesterday afternoon!  

But I did get some more bits done on my de-Winton alike.  Temperature only hovering around the high 20's but with the "real feel" around 38c  - dont think I'll be  venturing far today.

try and make the most of what the days  throws at us, 

Trev.

• Like 5

Good morning all,  late on parade (for) me,  seem to be needing a lot of sleep at the moment?  - Three hours yesterday afternoon!  

I announced to the kids that I would be going for a short nap yesterday afternoon and awoke to find they hadn't prepared dinner. That came as no surprise at all. Slightly worrying though. I'm unsure if it's the heat or an age thing!

• Like 3

Morning all from a hazy but dry Clacton,

Sad to read your post Ian. It must be very worrying when someone you obviously love is being so poorly treated whilst you are so far away. Sounds like this nasty creature needs to start by avoiding the bottle and then visiting a shrink! At least Sherry can look forward to soon spending some time where she obviously would rather be! Hope you can stay calm till then Sherry. Aren't there any decent B&Bs nearby?

Andyram, pleased to hear that you and the girls are enjoying your holiday. I know what you mean about the demands of kids - our 3 year old great grandson wants to do things now! Often when told that it isn't possible, even after a rational explanation as to why, he will whine 'but I really wanted to do that today' more than once! Hope to see some steam pics eventually.

Dave(TG), thanks for the pictures of my homeland, I was born in Dumfries. Would you believe that I had my first motorcycle race, at age eight, aboard a 50cc Itom on the sands of the Solway Firth. Magic memories, rushing to finish before the 'galloping' tide swallowed the circuit!

What a shame to see such an iconic landmark as the Didcot towers disappear - used to pass them twice daily when I lived in Kingston Bagpuize (on the Oxford - Swindon road) and worked in Reading. Thanks for the link Pete 75C.

Had a lovely Saturday evening watching trains on Sky - first 'Railroad Alaska' showing the battle with snow to allow the vital supplies to get to outlying communities. Five feet of snow in a night is common! Followed this with a couple of Michael Portillo's Programmes, following his journey with my recently acquired Bradshaw's guide. This series, starting in Telford, takes in Snowdonia, Porthmadog, and other interesting places en route to Anglesey. Even Joanna likes the programme, describing it as 'gentle and interesting because it isn't just about trains'!

Dom, hope you have a nice stress free tour - enjoy.

Don, if it's any consolation, I shall also be on chicken today but mine wile be in the form of Thai green curry served on noodles.

Hope everyone has the best Sunday they can,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, Ian, that situation sounds more convoluted than ever now... :unsure: Not sure if there's anything I can add on top of what the others said thus far, but I would certainly echo the suggestion of geographically trying to get Sherry out of that situation as soon as sensibly possible.

Perhaps to again re-focus on more agreeable things:

dsc08875dekyp.jpg

Look here for the relevant loco profile: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/599/entry-14275-the-eurosprinter-is-bright-the-eurosprinter-is-orange-class-189-electric-of-locon/

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 5

Bit of a late riser this morning after a long day at the Rugby 7s in Glasgow - but a really good day.  Enjoyed all the rugby (except for both England & Wales losing games), great atmosphere, Park and Ride was great  (matches finished at 22.30, on bus by 22.45, back at Hamilton Car park by 23.15, and home by 2am.  Tiring but good.  Some of the biggest cheers of the day came for Uganda, who were 10-0 down to Sri Lanka, had a man sin-binned and then came back to win to the chants of U-GAN-DA.  Their players loved it and came up to our end after their win to thank the crowd, which just prompted more chants.  That is what the Commonwealth Rugby should be!

Only drawback was that the weather broke, and I was sat there in shorts, tee shirt and sandals, so was a bit cool by the close.

Now for another trip to Penrith & back to take Son & girlfriend back to the station to go back to Leeds.  I will be glad to get back to work tomorrow for a rest!

• Like 5

Fortune does pitch us some curved balls from time to time - we must either hit them out of the Park or lift our bats high and let the catcher take them. Either way you are still in.

To continue the Baseball analogy, just for a change, as Yogi Berra (the inspiration for Yogi Bear - and still alive in New Jersey) would say: “It ain’t over till it’s over” together with “It’s like deja vu all over again”.

And on that thought, 2 hours shut eye until Grands Prix.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, late out of bed this am watching the the GP if it starts on time.... Already done the days shopping and after the race of to FIL for his birthday 77 this year. Still getting some pain from the sciatica but mainly transitions sat to stood etc if the weather holds a little gentle hedge triming and mowing maybe required.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Oh dear - three days away and far too many pages to catch up - so sorry all.

There do seem to be a lot of angst-ridden posts here at the mo, and I do commiserate with those posting/affected and my cyber-support goes without saying.

Seem to have spent a lot of time rearranging furniture around the house, which has then resulted in almost all the pictures on the walls needing to be moved, with attendant filling of holes, and touching up of paintwork.  Also back garden - 30747 asked for "a little help" which extended to a lot of pruning and cutting back with three wheelie bins of green waste.  She then decided that she wanted a raised bed to be demolished, and the space returned to patio - so that was another kn*ackering day done.

Anyhows, I promise to try to keep up a bit more.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

We are perhaps fortunate in having no kids but did suffer from needy and rather selfish in-laws. However these days it is the dog police. It seems I am unable to answer the doorbell without a lot of barking and rushing to the door. The same if the telephone goes and I am hunting for where I left it. The other night whilst busy in the kitchen Sister Sledge Lost in Music came on a favourite track. So I gave the volume a bit of welly and my feet started tapping which drives Monty mad. I am not sure whether he wants to go in or me to stop. Either way it is better if I dont tap my feet. Hence my comment Dog Police.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Very good day at Didcot although it was rather on the hot side and I trust GDB's leg problem had subsided by the time he got home as it seemed not be mixing well with the heat.  Castle really does us proud on these tours and it was good to see 2999 standing in the engine shed - albeit far from complete.   And Root One did a smashing breakfast as they usually do, I managed all day without subsequent 'refuelling' (apart from liquids)!.

The Didcot skyline is most disconcerting but no doubt I'll get used to it without those 3 cooling towers in the same way as I gradually got used to it with them - but it does look rather bare at the moment.

I'm sorry to hear of Sherry's family problems, really nasty when things seemed to have settled - alas we can't chose our families and times of stress such as this can bring out the worst in people, sometimes for less than immediately obvious or voiced reasons.  I hope things will gradually improve and give Sherry and Ian the smooth start to their life together which they deserve.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Very good day at Didcot although it was rather on the hot side and I trust GDB's leg problem had subsided by the time he got home as it seemed not be mixing well with the heat.  .

Thanks Mike and apart from "the knee" it was a great day with great company. Good journey home with no delays from FGW & Tfl and am now getting outside of some Pride and feeling better already!

Cheers :drinks: 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A lot of Asperger's, Dick? Yes, our hobby is riddled with it, and it may arguably be the driving force for many.

In 1974 I can recall bumping into a colleague who I knew was a bus-crank. Recall we both worked for BR, and were among the most privileged of young railway employees. I had seen a broken down bus outside the building, and told him about it. "Oh, that's one of the Gardner-engine ones, I'm not interested in them." So he was only interested in a sub-class of that type of bus. Went on to be de-facto controller of HSTs for Western Region, while being something senior on Paddington Station. Last time I saw him, he told me he'd had to apply for a derogation from ORR for a class of rolling stock sans disabled loos or some such. "I've got a Statutory Instrument on my desk." Yeah, right.

• Like 5

I don't get it. I do this for fun...

Though I am a bit that way inclined 'on the spectrum' as my equally Asperger's doctor said, but I try not to inflict my obsessions on other people.

Edited by Smiffy2