The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Can't blame you at all for taking this step, Pete. No point in ruining your sanity over people who don't appreciate your effort.

Waterfowl in the park:

Goody! A "Spot the duck competition"!

Did that fearsome-looking beastie on the water's edge gobble up the rest?    :D

post-7286-0-43641600-1406388279.jpg 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well F1 quali was a right shag-up for some, with fire and water both playing their part, as well as team incompetence. Pity this track doesn't encourage overtaking to allow talented people to re-assert themselves to morrow.

A cooler evening here. I don't mind that.

• RMweb Gold

Wildlife...not the Bachmann thread variety.This morning at a small family gathering on the awning - covered back patio at about 12:30 a bat zoomed in and squeezed itself home behind the top roof joist of the awning which abuts snugly to the outer wall of the building...right over our heads..Looks like we have a residency.

We have also been host to a sizeable colony of tree creepers for most of the day.Quaint,chattering and endearing little things.

Thinking of opening a nature reserve

Move over,David Attenborough......not!

Latest reports from Gotham City indicate the bat was late on stand following a night out on the (roof) tiles.

• Like 2

Wildlife...not the Bachmann thread variety.This morning at a small family gathering on the awning - covered back patio at about 12:30 a bat zoomed in and squeezed itself home behind the top roof joist of the awning which abuts snugly to the outer wall of the building...right over our heads..Looks like we have a residency.

You sure it's not in your loft building a model railway? Maybe it just popped out for some track pins...

Am I right in thinking that if bats do take up home in your home, you're stuck with them? I've always thought they're quite cute but daughter still thinks all bats are vampires.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

Pete, I'm staggered at what your ex LB colleagues had to say. Their loss. Hope to hear some good news of your wife soon.

Hope to meet in the SW one day!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 1

That's kind of you Sherry. I do recall offering to buy you lunch at some point in the future after your help earlier this year but if Ian's with you, the deal's off unless he'll settle for a sandwich. I can't stretch to the kind of high class French cuisine he's probably used to! Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's kind of you Sherry. I do recall offering to buy you lunch at some point in the future after your help earlier this year but if Ian's with you, the deal's off unless he'll settle for a sandwich. I can't stretch to the kind of high class French cuisine he's probably used to! Pete.

Ha bloomin' ha! I'm no gourmet, almost never eat out here. But I don't mind paying my way - so let's go Dutch, eh? Neither Sherry nor I is a big eater. Anyway, I think most ERs would be pleased to see you shaking the sand from your Sheringham shoes, and if the SW is the beneficiary, great news.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wow, lots going on.  Firstly, ex LBM, yes I really would wtite to RNLI, politely, and fully quote the sentence about where you should go back to.  The comments regarding volunteers are correct, the loss of young blood is awful, it is a real issue for many charities to bring in new young people. As an ex MN officer I am a great supporter of the RNLI.

iD, thank you.  It now appears the individual concerned is like that with all his victims, having discussed the matter elsewhere.  There is nothing worse in my mind than poor bedside manner - in Mrs H's case she does not have anything horrid, but some folk do, possibly life changing/ending matters, he really should think what these poor people are feeling like. When I was an outpatients service manager matters like this when reported would be addressed as a matter of importance.  The NHS is in crisis, but that's no excuse for poor individual people skills.

Sherry & Ian - you don't need our advice, but you certainly have our support!

We had a great day today, at the Southern Agricultural Show, met a lot of friends, it was warm but thankfully not too hot.  Rain has finally arrived here now and things feel a lot fresher, which will also make a less worrying day tomorrow driving a very chuffy steam engine - I haven't ever seen her throw fire, but the risk is there. when working hard it is very lod at the chimney top, which on a vertical boiler is about a foot from your ears!

• Like 5

Good evening all. The Wi-Fi still works here in our holiday accommodation so it is great to spend the quiet hours after Amber has gone to bed catching up on RMWeb. Firstly thanks to Jock, I did read back through some of the ER pages I had missed and did spot your comments about my absence. Thanks for your concern. To the artist formerly known as Lifeboat Man I am appalled at your treatment, maybe I should pop into the lifeboat station when we visit Sheringham later in the week and have words! I do hope you write that letter as the RNLI do need to know why they are losing valuable volunteers!

Here in Hunstanton we have had a pretty enjoyable day. The sun has been out, and it has been pleasantly warm, without being over hot as it has been in Derby recently. After a tour around the shops we took Amber on the beach. She had been desperate to go in the sea since we arrived yesterday, and had been a typical impatient and stroppy 2 and a half year old whilst in the shops. Sadly she did decide to begin moaning when I was in the model shop! At least it saved me spending my money too early. I did take note of the display of Noch figures though and intend to return for some later in the week if finances allow.

A visit to the tourist information for the usual collection of leaflets has given us plenty of ideas for the rest of the week. We will definitely take in Cromer (and its zoo) and a couple of farm parks for the ladies in the family. My treats will come from a visit to Sheringham and a ride on the North Norfolk Railway and also a trip to Wroxham via the Bure Valley line from Aylsham. The new model railway exhibition is now open opposite Wroxham station so that is on the list as well.

No steam yet this holiday but I will add some photos when I can.

Catch you all soon!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

You sure it's not in your loft building a model railway? Maybe it just popped out for some track pins...

Am I right in thinking that if bats do take up home in your home, you're stuck with them? I've always thought they're quite cute but daughter still thinks all bats are vampires.

That thought had occurred...no it's not up in the loft.....yet.To actually have a close up as it entered its domain by folding itself up and squeezing itself in was somehow surreal...all in the glare and heat of midday,when they are supposed to be nocturnal creatures..Bizarre or what? Had I not seen it I would not have believed it.No ,I drank only water.

As I write this ,I am sitting beneath Chateau Bat....this time fortified by a glass or three of Pinot Noir.No show yet....dusk draws on.The nation holds its breath....

• Like 2

There's a model railway exhibition opposite Wroxham station? How did I miss that??? I was only there last week! Top tip. If you're visiting Sheringham, Tesco car park is free but only for a couple of hours. Might be easier just to park in the station car park. That's always half empty now Tesco is open. Pete.

• RMweb Gold

There's a model railway exhibition opposite Wroxham station? How did I miss that??? I was only there last week! Top tip. If you're visiting Sheringham, Tesco car park is free but only for a couple of hours. Might be easier just to park in the station car park. That's always half empty now Tesco is open. Pete.

of course you missed it you incomer! You need to live here 60 years before we tell you about our model railway :)

• RMweb Gold

Finally read today's posts. Waffles were avaielable for breakfast but we didn't partake. We have waffle thingy at home. Breakfast here is the hot and cold buffet type that I think will last all day but as those of you who have Facebook will know I had quiche for lunch. Don't think I have had beer for breakfast though. In the past I have noticed Aditi enjoying prosecco At breakfast in Italy and Austria.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Recovering from the game today - it was very hot and went on for ages due to numerous drink stops.....

Pete 75C - I have lived in Leeds for 28 years and sometimes remind the locals that Durham is a far better county than Yorkshire...Having said that there are fewer locals as Headingley has been turned into student city ...

Off umpiring again tomorrow, monday, tuesday and Wednesday so lets hope the weather holds!

Baz

PS Jock I  may well be joining you in a tincture tonight.... possibly Laphroaig or Old Pultney....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not one for extensive breakfasts, I need to admit. That's mainly because I don't enjoy any typical breakfast foods so much that I'd eat a lot of them. I generally much prefer lunch and dinner!

Evening all,

Haven't had the best of days today - won't bore you with the gory details but my treatment plays havoc with the workings of the gastric system and sometimes I don't get the 'stop/go' balance right. Still managed to help with the shopping though, so although I didn't earn any points, I think I've retained the ones I've got.

Ian (Hargrave), you are indeed lucky to catch such a moment, according to the wildlife guides! We often have bats fly through our garden late in the evening - they skim over the 7ft perimeter fence and often swish by close to our heads when we're having a late dram on the patio. (Well they will again when I finish painting the chairs!). We have absolutely no idea where they roost as the cul-de-sac development we live on is only just over 30 years old and so offers few obvious sites. Perhaps the factory building on the other side of the railway line is most likely. Incredible aviators and well worth waiting for this evening and it would be a shame to let the Pinot Noir spoil!

Tony_S, great to hear that you and Aditi seem to be thoroughly enjoying your break - very well deserved after all the recent stress. Hope the rest of it goes well.

Good luck with the regulator tomorrow Neil, jealous is not the word! Just as you agreed to Pete 75C, perhaps a carefully worded letter to the CEO of the hospital trust, explaining how shabby Debs' treatment was, would be useful (If you haven't already done so of course!)

Have a good Sunday one and all and those who smoke can thank Sir Walter Raleigh for introducing the dredged weed, 27/7/1586!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Barry, raising a thumbful of Laphroaig to you as this posts!!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

Honest, I was just having a last glance at ER before bed, and Barry and Jock mentioned the malts. I just had to get the Talisker out, didn't I? Oh, and I hadn't saluted Neil Fachie and Craig Maclean's tremendous victory in the Para tandem sprint, so it's a large one ... 

Never mind "Floo'er o' Scotland", its "Scots Wha Hae" !

Morning All

I was just thinking to myself that since we have more than one Pete on here, we should ensure disambiguation! But, how?

What about...

The Pete formally known as L?

PeteNFN (Not From Norfolk)?

Only Ten Toes Pete? (for the cognoscenti of obscure inherited human variations)

Piotr definitely NOT from here 75?

Peter The Quite Great?

I rehearsed more fight choreography yesterday. Although I did a year of fencing at University (not that I remember much, and what I do recall I am too old and creaky to put into use), stage fighting is very different. With no protective gear for the actors; cut, thrust, parry and footwork must be the same every time. So yesterday, having completed my thrusting (fnarr, fnarr), me and my sparring partners worked on coordinating our footwork. By the time we open, the fights should be fast, seamless and (hopefully) exciting...

Stayed up late last night watching Star Wars Episode II (one of the "prequels"), heaven knows why. Whilst it was fun in parts, the dialogue was appalling, the plot had holes big enough to drive a locomotive (GWR, LNER, LMS, SR or BR - your choice) through and as for the liberties they took with physics, aerodynamics, military science, strategy and tactics..... Yes I do know it's just entertainment, but, please, don't insult my intelligence.

Well off to finish the coffee pot and get ready for more rehearsals.

Stay Cool Dudes (and Dudettes)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 5