The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

...you were lucky...we had to fashion trains out of lumps of coal and logs wi our bare hands...

Lumps o' coal? We had to make EM track with nowt but spit and used matchsticks and we had to use us tongues as a setting gauge. 

• RMweb Gold

If she doesn't get either of them given the prior shenanigans I would be expecting my union to support a claim for unfair dismissal....

I think for the new job either Aditi gets appointed or they re-advertise it with its "ringfence"  removed. The other candidates who have applied haven't got as good a match of the criteria in the job description as Aditi has. The old job is now fairly safe as more people have resigned than the college wanted to go! Aditi was concerned that if someone felt she was needed in the old job they might try to keep her. One of the interviewers on the panel was the HR person who seemed to be leading Aditi's health related redundancy farce recently. She only asked one question today.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Well my parcel arrived just before lunch and it contained a lovely boxed Bachmann St.Edmund Hall  (thank you Gordon). Guess what - I opened the box and I played with it - shock - horror! I accept the fact that that is not actually modelling but it looks really good & runs beautifully and apart from changing the address & tweaking a couple of CVs I'm not altering a thing. So there! :jester:

Gwrinning  Gwrandad.

PS Mike I can't eke out the pills any longer as I've only a couple left but also I now need to make have now made a miraculous recovery for the Didcot visit on Sunday! :yes: 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Well my parcel arrived just before lunch and it contained a lovely boxed Bachmann St.Edmund Hall  (thank you Gordon). Guess what - I opened the box and I played with it - shock - horror! I accept the fact that that is not actually modelling but it looks really good & runs beautifully and apart from changing the address & tweaking a couple of CVs I'm not altering a thing. So there! :jester:

Gwrinning  Gwrandad.

I understand it's now illegal to actually be satisfied with Barwell offerings. Hence: 

Please hand your goods back and complain vigorously, get hot under the collar, threaten a trip to Dignitas due to your disappointment....

Please desist from so-called "playing" as this may imply satisfaction with your lot in life.

Please refrain from using words like "lovely" as these imply positive emotions and will tend to moderate the opinions of others around you.

Please note that the decoder address had to be changed which was, surely, a major inconvenience to you and will give others sufficient grist to moan about their lot in life.  

Please report to other threads for additional guidance on how to have a downer on those who dare to help you.

;)   ;)   ;)    

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 2

Sorry AndyB, I don't accept returns…. :P  :D

(Only because I know when I sell something I try to ensure it will be exactly as described.  I put myself in the place of the buyer and ask myself 'how would I feel if I opened this box after a few days of waiting for it to arrive?  There's nothing worse than the feeling of something not meeting your expectations.  I don't accept returns to stop the daft b*ggers from wrecking a loco and then trying to convince you, it was like that when they got it….)

Of course none of the above applies to Grandad Bob... :no:

Glad to hear you've had an enjoyable day, Bob...

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

PS Mike I can't eke out the pills any longer as I've only a couple left but also I now need to make have now made a miraculous recovery for the Didcot visit on Sunday! :yes: 

Tell herself that's all about fresh air and that I'll keep an eye on you as I know a good place for a really lavish fried breakfast which is bound to help your recovery (or lie fib).

In the meanwhile I have booked a place to stay in York on Monday night - a converted convent but it looks quite nice.  Far better than staying in Darlington as the York one is much nearer to the station than the Darlington options and I actually know where it is.  I wonder what the weather will be like up that end - probably need to polish my galoshes or get the snow boots out  :jester:

• Like 4

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  That's the best bit of YouTube film I have seen.  Turned the volume up and it made the hairs on my arms stand up…..

I was a little concerned about the loop at the end.  It looked awfully close the ground….

Wonderful!

• RMweb Gold

Tell herself that's all about fresh air and that I'll keep an eye on you as I know a good place for a really lavish fried breakfast which is bound to help your recovery (or lie fib).

In the meanwhile I have booked a place to stay in York on Monday night - a converted convent but it looks quite nice.  Far better than staying in Darlington as the York one is much nearer to the station than the Darlington options and I actually know where it is.  I wonder what the weather will be like up that end - probably need to polish my galoshes or get the snow boots out  :jester:

Haway the lads.....bonny lad,dursn't thee appreciate the wilds of County Durham?

Best hostelry up North...and close...The Rose&Crown at Romaldkirk.

Me....I'm actually coming South,past The Angel & a short distance down the A1 .Our son & family live in Low Fell & we're spending a couple of nights there.God's own country....A1 excepted.

On good authority ( mine) the sun does actually shine there.....might actually get up the coast towards Alnmouth & Dunstanburgh...magically unspoiled.

• Like 2

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  That's the best bit of YouTube film I have seen.  Turned the volume up and it made the hairs on my arms stand up…..

I was a little concerned about the loop at the end.  It looked awfully close the ground….

Wonderful!

Really, really, amazing flying. As a(n armchair) pilot, I am reminded of the old saying "there are bold pilots, and there are old pilots. But are seldom any old, bold, pilots" Those pilots must be pretty young to have such reflexes (... I am sure the informed will correct me if I am wrong).

Have a great evening

iD

p.s. a Crossair pilot I know reminded me that "take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In my continuing series of:

"Last person on the planet to be aware of stuff", I offer you this 3-year old video of 16 Spitfires flying together

[i shall leave it to others to point out where else it no doubt resides on RMweb. :)  ]

Enjoy! 

Thanks, Andy.  It's time like this when I should really get my laptop connected up to some decent speakers. :mosking:

Anyway, growing up, the spitfire was a familiar site in the guise of the full size model, Spitfire Gate guardian at RAF Uxbridge which I passed on shopping and cinema trips in the town.  So impressive, the first balsa model I made was a spitfire from a pattern in one of my Dad's old magazines - pre/early '50s at a rough guess.

This year, we were lucky enough to have booked our holiday in time to enjoy War on the Line on the Mid Hants Railway and took advantage of our position on the platform to photograph the fly past.

post-14049-0-65773100-1405973730.jpg

Thanks again, Andy

Polly

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Andy.  It's time like this when I should really get my laptop connected up to some decent speakers. :mosking:

Anyway, growing up, the spitfire was a familiar site in the guise of the full size model, Spitfire Gate guardian at RAF Uxbridge which I passed on shopping and cinema trips in the town.  So impressive, the first balsa model I made was a spitfire from a pattern in one of my Dad's old magazines - pre/early '50s at a rough guess.

This year, we were lucky enough to have booked our holiday in time to enjoy War on the Line on the Mid Hants Railway and took advantage of our position on the platform to photograph the fly past.

attachicon.gifIMG_1842 Fly Past.JPG

Thanks again, Andy

Polly

I'm trying to remember where I was that weekend - but seem to remember hearing one fly over the house recently.

Balsa models: we tried those when I was a youngster too. My brother made a Hurricane and dad and I tried a twin prop Herald? We used to try and fly them on Leigh marhses, not so far from where Tony lives. Of course it was always too windy and they didn't fly that well. The twin prop model suffered from having different power in each of the rubber bands that drove the props; you can imagine the result.....back to the workshop each flight! I had more success with stunt kites!

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Right Neil, I have travelled the Groudle Glen train from end to end twice in one day. Thanks for the free ride.

Is that a tea room at the the  other end?

Those sprung point blades are a clever idea.

Glad you enjoyed it, Don. GG is a magical little place, the view as you come out of the glen and see the cliffs is magnificent.

Yes, we have a tea room, and it also has a few artifacts from the past.  Probably from whem SM Mike last visited!  The whole railway is a charity, totally volunteer run, by a core of about 12-15 folk, although there are as usual, several who turn up in summer to run trains but don't appear in the depths of winter to repair trains and track!

Should anyone find themselves on Fraggle Rock, please come along on a Sunday all day or Wednesday evening in high season, ask for Neil or John!  John will sell you some trains while you're there.....actually so may I!  Shed tours free.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

For a short season, balsa packs @ 1/- a pack bought from a local shop that I remember sold push bikes and tennis racquets - so more of a sports shop than model shop - were all the rage with us school kids(12-13 year olds) before we moved onto the next 'project' - keeping pet mice was one of them, though throwing darts at the dartboard on the shed door was popular in the summer and proved an excellent training ground for youth club darts in later years.  Don't think we did any risk assessments, though. :pardon:

Polly

• Like 5

When I were a lad and Airfix was a novelty item you could buy 'kits' of sailing ships that consisted of a lump of balsa and some sandpaper and a badly drawn picture. You sanded the hull to shape, whacked in some dowel for masts and stuck coloured paper on for decoration. Handsome.

Eeeh, we were tough in them days, none of this r-t-r nonsense...

Well, it hit 33 and holding.

Overcast now and looking threatening, but not sure the severe weather is close yet. Quite oppresive outside and definately worthy of remaining in the comfort of the air conditioning... <phew>

Off to get some dinner, hope everyone is tucked in for the night :)

It’s got much more hot and humid here since lunchtime - but it’ll only last until Wednesday.

I think we here have had a mild Summer - when I got married it was 106f - and in a suit it was no fun.......

I did say, Ian, that after the rotten cold Winter we had I’d never complain about the heat again - it does make the old joints feel better.

BTW I saw a new hairdressers the other day called “Curl up and Dye!”   I really should get out more, I know.......

Best, Pete.

• Like 2