The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

you'll have to buy a 'love' seat with sun-shade attached!!

Steady, there's already enough fun going on in the parks around there. Allegedly.

• RMweb Premium

As those of you who have been communicating with ERs for a while will know, I too had a tree problem but I can now see the sea again! To be honest, that is a slight exaggeration, I can see the other side of the Thames Estuary and ships sailing on the water if not the actual water.

Aditi rang. She had her interviews. They will contact her tomorrow as they have other candidates to interview. She felt she had done well, though she thought she had performed better on the new job interview rather than the old job interview. 

Tony

If she doesn't get either of them given the prior shenanigans I would be expecting my union to support a claim for unfair dismissal....

• RMweb Gold

Good price for that I reckon - does he climb to cut or is it all done at low level?

Long ladder seems to have got them half way up - and one of the two trunks is already down! The trunks are so thick I'd struggle to log them, so agreed he should take the thick stuff, leaving the limbs for me to massacre as best I can.

• Like 4

We had a big (30m) fir tree taken down for only €800 last year.

Part of the good value was because, unknown to me, Julie told the tree surgeon to leave the sections of trunk, as I would chop them up for firewood...

I spoke to him later and he told me that at 34, having done tree surgery all his working life, he wouldn't even consider thinking about it!

We've made an arrangement with our neighbour and he'll use his big petrol splitter and we'll go 50/50 on the wood.

• RMweb Gold

We had a big (30m) fir tree taken down for only €800 last year.

Part of the good value was because, unknown to me, Julie told the tree surgeon to leave the sections of trunk, as I would chop them up for firewood...

I spoke to him later and he told me that at 34, having done tree surgery all his working life, he wouldn't even consider thinking about it!

We've made an arrangement with our neighbour and he'll use his big petrol splitter and we'll go 50/50 on the wood.

Don't blame you - manual splitting is hard work, very hard work and not necessarily very good for the back (definitely not any good for my back).  But split them as early after cutting as possible although fir can be horrible messy stuff.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Splitting smaller logs here is conducted either with a hefty splitting axe - or something called a grenade. This is a lump of metal something like the head of a Philips screwdriver, but rather bigger. You simply hammer it into the centre of the log and it splits. Works well most of the time - even on old railway sleepers, of which we had several holding up the terrace roof before it was all renewed. Implausibly, I never measured the distance between chair-holes to see if they were standard or metre gauge.......

• Like 4

And that's why his price seemed good. And, unlike a cheap building job or kitchen, if the tree is down and the big stuff is gone - the result is as required! The maize is 6' high in the adjoining field, but he expects to take it down onto the lawn - which will recover, albeit maybe not this year. But the proximity to electricity wires - less than 10' away now - means I am going to sleep more easily. I hope the adjacent birch can be saved - so Sherry and I will still have somewhere shady to sit in that part of the garden. And the photinias, some of which are a bit dwarfy due to the tree taking all the water, will also benefit if they aren't crushed. This pic was taken in April, so the foliage is a lot thicker now, and being a willow, it drops branches at the slightest hint of breeze. Chainsaws are whirring as I type!

Just as well to get it all taken away.  Willow is pretty rubbish as fuel for a wood burner or open fire  - http://www.flamingfires.co.uk/which-wood-burns-best.htm

I split logs with a combination of a couple of hefty axes and a couple of splitting wedges.  Can be very hard work, so I might investiogate the 'grenade' approach.  Even though it is hard work, there is something very therapeutic about cutting and splitting logs.

Edited by Simon G
  • Like 1

Just as well to get it all taken away.  Willow is pretty rubbish as fuel for a wood burner or open fire  - http://www.flamingfires.co.uk/which-wood-burns-best.htm

The M-i-L told me that her rule of thumb (and I've been under it for about 10 years now) was that wood at the beginning of the alphabet was a "good burner" and those at the end less so. 

Based on your link I believe she was sort of half right. 

I'll make sure to ask her which language she was referring to next time she brings this old saying up; cor I do like to live dangerously!  :no:

Ian, don't forget to get the stump ground or it may start to grow back.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian, don't forget to get the stump ground or it may start to grow back.  

I have seen how effective stump-grinding can be, but think the point is that, like the stumps of the others that were taken out years ago, I can "manage" them for the duration of my time here. We have now agreed a price for further work on other trees currently fronting the garden, which are at risk of breaking the telephone line. Again, work done now will leave me with very little to worry about in future years. Even when we had contract gardeners paid for by Deb's insurance claim they weren't keen on doing that work.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I split logs with a combination of a couple of hefty axes and a couple of splitting wedges.  Can be very hard work, so I might investiogate the 'grenade' approach.  Even though it is hard work, there is something very therapeutic about cutting and splitting logs.

The grenade is an excellent device - I have found it will easily split awkward logs (e.g. those with lots of knots) that an axe has hardly any effect on, very worthwhile little investment I reckon.

The grenade is an excellent device - I have found it will easily split awkward logs (e.g. those with lots of knots) that an axe has hardly any effect on, very worthwhile little investment I reckon.

Yup. Even works with my incompetent hammering. Doesn't half hurt when it pings out and hits you on the shin though.

It's funny you should say that. I knocked this up in Paint Shop Pro during a quiet moment yesterday and was going to post it "you know where" but as my "Disagree" count is approaching 60 (sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut), I chickened out. One thing that can be said about the Bachmann thread... there's not a lot of humour evident.

attachicon.giftoy.jpg

Yikes!! That sign in the context of the Bachmann thread surely has to be in the category "you've got to be kidding me"!!!! You'd be taking your life in your hands!

With the froth and anguish already evident I'd expect you'll be lynched for suggesting that our pursuit is categorized as "TOYS" - better get in the bomb-shelter :) there's way too many folks that take their life, especially hobbies, far too seriously.

To add context, I'm also quite involved in flight simulation, and am on the board of a very prominent and respected "Virtual Airline". I always post with humor when I can, especially to diffuse any heated "discussions", and when folks get "excited" about things, I remind them it's only a "GAME"... that's another hard-hat, head for the bomb-shelter remark. :jester:

Showing I have no common sense AT ALL, I dutifully ignored the best suggestions of ER members and instead bumbled my way through the Bachmann thread - that's what happens when you're away for a weekend and have Sunday evening to relax and browse, you ignore sensible advice. :scared:

I have to say this, I'm totally disappointed and outraged at the announcement, what were Bachmann thinking, "I" was expecting my own personal collection of late 50's BR/SR locos, rakes and rakes of appropriate coaches, and a 4-COR and 4-RES set, all incredibly detailed and every item selling for a tenner apiece. Delivery dates of next week or sooner! Oh and b**ugg**er everyone else, I'm only interested in me,me,me... I wish to register a complaint...

There... do I now fit in with the "frothers"??? :jester:  :O

Seems to me folks should be grateful that Bachmman and any manufacturer are producing something, even if it doesn't match your special need, blimey what a bunch of whiners...

• Like 5

So, as evident from a prior post, I'm back from our weekend at the cabin :jester:

Was an excellent weekend, 25+ folks from the choir came to the party and we had a great time, including making new friends of choir memebrs we'd only previously had passing connections with.

Weather was excellent, food was brilliant - everyone contributed the perfect collection of pot-luck dishes, I managed two grills and in spite of internal panic-mode it all turned out well, according to the consumer poll :)

Today the weather will be "different".

Already 22 when I got up, it's now 24 and rushing to a midday high expecting to be 33 and remain there most of the afternoon/early evening, the humidity is soaring and the heat index (opposite of wind-chill) expected to reach 40C/105F.

There is an "excessive heat warning" in effect from 11AM until 9PM today, suggestions are to seek air-conditioning and stay well hydrated. There is a fast moving front crossing the middle of the country and by midnight we're expected to have high winds and severe thunderstorms, including the potential for heavy downpours, large hail and possibly tornado activity. Welcome to mid-summer in Minnesota!

So, with that, back to working, and staying in the comfort of my air-conditioned house/office.

Have a safe and enjoyable start to the week, and avoid the Bachmann thread :jester: unless you have a death-wish!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Lifeboatman - good work!  And it seems we have at least one person on that frothy topic who has had a major sense of humour failure....

Cripes  when I were a lad we had nowt but Dublo 3 rail, Triang made to fit their red boxes, Peco wonderful wagons, some Airfix/Kitmaster kits and some of them new fangled white metal kits from Wills, Gem and Kayser's...   luxury!!  tell that to the youth of today and they wouldn't believe you!!

Baz

• Like 2

Lifeboatman - good work!  And it seems we have at least one person on that frothy topic who has had a major sense of humour failure....

Cripes  when I were a lad we had nowt but Dublo 3 rail, Triang made to fit their red boxes, Peco wonderful wagons, some Airfix/Kitmaster kits and some of them new fangled white metal kits from Wills, Gem and Kayser's...   luxury!!  tell that to the youth of today and they wouldn't believe you!!

Baz

...you were lucky...we had to fashion trains out of lumps of coal and logs wi our bare hands...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful day here for the first day of my 'hols'.

Went for a good walk which is something I haven't been abe to do for a while

It was nice to reconnect with my legs.

Trouble is I'm pink. According to the song that makes me a mad dog or an Englishman.

Your call.

• Like 3

AAARRRRGH!!!

Why, oh why, did I do it?

I watched the Beebs programme on the joys of guitar riffs which I had recorded last Friday and whilst I knew most of them, I had not heard the riff from 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes.

I can't the get the bloody riff out of my brain (so simple, so Neanderthal, so unforgettable), I've been listening to the song on a loop all day today

HELP!

iD

Thank you for your attention, I now return you to your regular programming "Fear and Loathing In Barwell" :jester: (Or is that "Apocalypse Bachmann"?)

• Like 4

Just Googled grenades and found one at Screwfix for £14.99 which looks good.  However, the specification quotes the weight of the grenade at 1710kg!!  A typo methinks?  Possibly 1.71 kg?

• RMweb Gold

Don, try this one:

Gives a flavour of the Glen in summer! Didn't see myself in this one, but many of the regulars are featured. I'm piloting the coffeepot next weekend.

Have just spent a most enjoyable 15 minutes or so.

What a smashing little railway.

Another one for the bucket list.

Edited by BoD

Ian, I wasn't daft enough to post the "Toy" one - I'd end up with more enemies than Putin. Baz, yes, I noticed, and in all honesty I'm surprised it's only generated a single "Disagree". Maybe there is humour outside of ERs... whatever next? Wife-swapping in the "Finescale" section...?

Edited by Pete 75C