The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

No thunder or lightning, just rain and more rain, yesterday, today and tomorrow. Somebody said that we need the rain, but we don't. The storage dams are all at 100% or over or approaching.

I don'[t really mind. It's warm inside with the heater on, day and night.

I read your posts about the weather BoD but don't complain. Bad weather can be put to good use in the RAILWAY ROOM!

Enjoy Friday and the weekend all (and your holiday BoD (I will check out your layout topics regularly over the next six weeks, more in hope than expectation).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was correct about the good weather ending with the start of the school holidays too.

And there's only 159 days till Christmas.

Bah, humbug.

Have you done your "back to school" shopping yet?

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

We had a bit of weather in the night but the main storm seemed to be a few miles away. It would seem we will "cop it" later on today.

After last night's purchase I then bid on another loco (Prairie this time) but lost out. It is a bit worrying that someone (ie me) who started out fully intending to model the Eastern/Midland region is buying more & more Western stuff. I seem to have caught something on here - even my avatar has become infected. It must have been the visits to Devon & Didcot last year that did it. Mind you I have got Cornish blood in me so perhaps it's been there all the time,

Have a good one,

Grandad Whose Railway is gwrowing. :locomotive: 

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5

Saw a neighbour this morn who said, "Wasn't the thunder & lightening terrible last night!"   I mumbled a suitable reply, but in fact I slept through it all and didn't hear a thing.

Can't have been anything to do with the bottle of Cote du Rhone I diminished last night can it...................... :no2:

• Like 6

Have you done your "back to school" shopping yet?

I saw the first “Back to School!” advert this past week.......Kohls, kind of flashy (Puma, Levis, Seersucker jackets - eh?) discount store.

I think I would be so cool in a seersucker suit...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

BoD. ..it never gets too hot on the Durham coast..if it did get warm I would go for a swim in the sea in my youth...that cooled you down.

Strangely enough we had a coolish night,no thunder and its a grey morning. Shopping first then some weathering me thinks.

I was told yesterday that someone suggested (for a bit of a joke) that cricket balls should come with the words "warning this ball is hard and could hurt if it hits you"... Hopefully that won't happen..

Have a great Friday...and try to stay calm!

Baz

Careful . . . .  Feel another flashback coming on . .. spending the night on Crimdon beach and skinny-dipping at sunrise . . . .

• Like 1

Morning all, blue skies and grey/white clouds over Borough Market Junction - with the promise/threat over 32 today in Central London. Lords could be an oven - but at least it's not the Oval which always seems far hotter to me.

We had the thunder storm between 2.30 and 3 this morning - it came right overhead as there as a simultaneous flash/crash. It's cleared the air a little but the sqwifts were already high on the wing on the way to the station.

The eldest finishes school today (they've saved up 3 training days) and the youngest finishes on Wednesday (the primary school used theirs earlier in the year).

And the forecast for Cambridge tomorrow has chanegd again. I think the conclusion I've come to is that it is inevitable that we're going to get wet. Pity really as the Mrs has acquired a couple of rather nice looking scotch eggs....!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Thunderstorms coming at us from two sides last night although the one in the west seemed to get no closer than about 3 miles away, the one from the south-east arrived, well and truly but at least it meant we got some much needed rain on the garden.  More forecast for tonight/tomorrow and hoping it's not too bad as I'm supposed to be off to High Wycombe having been invited to the club open day.  Seems to be all invites this week as one for an event at Shildon, on the 29th, arrived yesterday.

And today - assuming the roads are open and not gridlocked and it's safe to venture out in the sunshine (if we get any) I might at last get down to Alton after the regular Friday morning task has been carried out.  Not entirely sure if it's safe to go outdoors after the warnings yesterday but presumably it's ok as long as I wear the right clothes and drink plenty of nice cool wine before driving the car - they do give out such mixed messages don't they?

Have a  good day one & all.t kea

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all (again)

Facebook friends do have interesting lives : "Slaved over changing the fuel tank on the lorry, emptying it twice because of leaks, only to find after hours of work, its STILL leaking, and I have a jumping lesson tomorrow." This is my late mate's widow, in her late '50s! Mind you, ISTR she built the body on the lorry (horsebox) herself.

The farmers here have been very busy the last few days, getting the harvest in. Dirty great combines, sometimes in pairs, rolling down the hill and causing a bit of a hold up in both directions - the road is just about wide enough for two cars to pass at normal speeds, but anything wider and you're tippy-toeing past each other. Then there are the tractor-trailer combos with the grain en route to the elevators. Busy, busy, busy!

Pete - ISTR a joke many years ago about a guy who was advised to get a seersucker suit from Cox's but ended up with a cocksucker suit from Sears....

Hope you all survive the weather wherever you are, and the weekend gos as well as it might.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been woken up by one enormous thunderstorm, at least its cooled things down a bit.

Apparently, we had one, too, around 6am though the rumbling wasn't directly over us but up in the mountains - woke up after it was all over.  Rather windy this morning with garden waste bin (thankfully still tied up) and watering can blown up the path.  All the other refuse still intact in the usual collecting spot.  Recent supply of various bin types scuttle any ideas critters may have in ransacking the place for food.

Well, since it's not the best of conditions to try and cut down the rest of the raspberry canes, I have some grass to attend to on Camel Quay since the weedkiller seems to have missed the bit along the edge of the wall.

Have a good day and Be Cool, man.

Polly

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I was watching the thunderstorms over the New Forest/Bournemouth area from here; quite spectacular and almost continuous lightning for a while, but it didn't get close enough to be very noisy. One thunderclap was loud enough to provoke a response from next door's dog but he is of the "it's a noise, BARK!" variety. I found I was nodding off so went back to bed. Apparently it's going to be much worse tonight.

Pete

I was told yesterday that someone suggested (for a bit of a joke) that cricket balls should come with the words "warning this ball is hard and could hurt if it hits you"... Hopefully that won't happen..

A grim reminder of a potentially tragic experience from schooldays.

I'd whacked a ball for a four and it hit a spectating fellow pupil in the temple after first bounce.

Blood everywhere and one very shocked batsman.

When he returned to school after about a month he never seemed quite the same lad although I was assured he'd made a full recovery.

The unofficial ambition of breaking the pavilion windows was never quite the same either.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

A long time since I checked in before dinner, but was up early thanks to dog, as she decided to get up just before 6 this morning.  30747 decided to follow suit and open up the house and sort out tea/coffee etc - then it was "are you up yet?" at 20 minute intervals.  Also I got totally p*ssed off with Chris Evans' incessant prattling on - Radio 2 breakfast time was much better while he was ill (NOT wishing him any harm at all, I hasten to add) and for a week he was covered by a proper radio broadcaster in the person of Richard Allanson.  (Does this sound familiar from me?).

Anyhows, once I was up, I decided to start retirement as I mean to go on - and got some bacon, sliced sausage, potato scone, mushroom, egg, and beans into the pans, and hey-ho up goes the cholesterol - I doubt that 30747 and my GP, Simon, will agree to this as a long term retirement policy....

It's great that Morrisons' are now doing "baked in store" potato scones, which actually taste approximately like something that was made in a Scottish baker's.  Anybody with a Scottish background (Jock 67B comes to mind) will know what I mean - it's a shame that I have to settle for frozen sliced sausage, as it's not at all as good as you get from even the less good Scottish butchers.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I was correct about the good weather ending with the start of the school holidays too.

And there's only 159 days till Christmas.

Bah, humbug.

Yes, I forgot it was the end of term when I booked Wednesday for going to Kew.

I soon realised when I saw a row of coaches parked alongside a stream of school kids students lined up outside our entrance and many more groups turning up from all directions while waiting for Mum to arrive. 

Normally, I doubt it would have made much difference but, on a gorgeous summer's day even with a cooling breeze, seats in the shade especially near the cafes were like gold dust - until they all left (to get back to school for hometime - you can't have kids and not know that trick!).  At least we managed to find somewhere to sit inside to have lunch and teas even if we couldn't here ourselves speak over the noise of so many people in there.

And it's getting the same at home - I was walking around Caernarfon during the week and it was so busy it was like a ride on the dogems, music and all.  There's always someone blasting it out, isn't there?  Good for local businesses and the residents do benefit from all some of the improvements - it's a shame residents come second (or lower) to visitors.  We've waited years for these improvements.  I just wish they wouldn't fill the place with cobbled areas where people have to walk because it makes an otherwise great improvement so unfriendly I avoid it.

Oh dear, is Polly having a rant?   :girldevil:

http://cadw.wales.gov.uk/about/news/CaernarfonWaterfront/?lang=en

• RMweb Gold

A grim reminder of a potentially tragic experience from schooldays.

I'd whacked a ball for a four and it hit a spectating fellow pupil in the temple after first bounce.

Blood everywhere and one very shocked batsman.

When he returned to school after about a month he never seemed quite the same lad although I was assured he'd made a full recovery.

The unofficial ambition of breaking the pavilion windows was never quite the same either.

I got hit on the head by a cricket bat when I was about 14. The games master had put me at (very) short leg. I don't think he liked me.

Tony

One of my table mates 93rd birthday today. He is physically very able but both blind and 90% deaf. He arranged a tea party for us table companions with a cake baked by a daughter. Since we share a table three times a day, seven days a week and due to his deafness conversation was difficult, but the cake was good!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Crikey two sugars, Crimdon Dene.....blast from the past.

Polly, I'm with you about cobbles, after my hip surgery I avoid uneven surfaces like the plague.  Those dotty bits they put next to zebra crossings for blind people are hell, and walking around Sark on the unmade roads had a two day repercussion!  Enjoyed it though.  Sark that is, not the pain......before everyone chips in SM jokes.

• RMweb Premium

I got hit on the head by a cricket bat when I was about 14. The games master had put me at (very) short leg. I don't think he liked me.

Tony

Not a bat, but a very near miss with a ball - our PE teacher decided to "teach" us cricket as a change from making us play football, or as he sometimes did, lecturing us about the finer points of golf, and one of the batsmen put the ball high into the air, and it was descending at a h*ll of a rate 45156wards, and some of the team were screaming that I should catch it - but I'd been told how hard the ball was, and decided that not trying a catch was safer than a cricket ball in the head which is what I would have collected.

• RMweb Premium

Polly, I'm with you about cobbles, after my hip surgery I avoid uneven surfaces like the plague.  Those dotty bits they put next to zebra crossings for blind people are hell, and walking around Sark on the unmade roads had a two day repercussion!  Enjoyed it though.  Sark that is, not the pain......before everyone chips in SM jokes.

Indeed, I agree having had the same type if surgery - the strain on my uneven legs, and the hip joint on anything less than solid pavement or road results in a course of ibuprofen within minutes!

• RMweb Premium

Gavin the cat has been at it again.  I came downstarirs and picked up what I thought was a piece of string.  It turned out to be a mouse tail with some parts missing.  No sign of the rest of the creature so now we have to wait and see if there  are any other parts around or inside the stair lift.  Oh the joys of having two furry killers in the house.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Crikey two sugars, Crimdon Dene.....blast from the past.

Sationmaster jokes - what is this 'Stationmaster jokes' please? :jester: (which might indicate why I refer to herself as Mrs Stationmaster rather than using any sort of abbreviation ;) )

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Crimdon Dene.... ooh err

used to work there in the summer holidays . If you were unlucky you looked after the trampolines, Best choice jobs... working on the bin motor...working in the Lido making chips and unfreezing fish... other not brilliant jobs.. cleaning toilets and unblocking drains...

BUT you got paid for it! - First time I ever had £100 in a pay packet ..... August Bank Holiday week 1976....

Baz

(I also became a night time housey checker at the Caravan Club.... those were the days...)

• Like 7