The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Baked to a crisp! Second days cricket was good with one of the quickest overseas (speed wise) I have ever umpired. Mo ashraf destroyed the stumps 3 times in 5 balls!

Tonight spent some time in a Q&A with Jason Gillespie and the..free beer tasting with the chief brewer at Blach Sheep.

CLAG.. When Challenger 1 was in service it didn't turn a track for months on end..when you fired it up..generous amounts of clag not helped by being a 27 litre twin turbocharged diesel kicking out 1200hp nominal.

Once used regularly..no clag...

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

Evening all,

Ian, what you experienced was a switch within the PSA group (the company which runs both Citroen and Peugeot which, while remaining independent, are forced to share lots of common parts like chassis and engines.) from turbos which simply produced more power and boost to a type designed for efficiency. The latest variable boost type tempted Ford into joining the sharing arrangement and so if you strip a New Citroen diesel you will see Fomoco on the block as well as PSA! We don't see any smoke from Joanna's diesel Citroen C3 Picasso complete with particulate filter and the boost is now continuous so you don't get a kick at certain revs. The real plus is the superb consumption figure we achieved on our recent West Country trip.

Agreed completely Gordon, what fantastic engineering, made the more fascinating by involving railways. The difference in available technology from 50 years ago shows a tremendous advance!

Bill, your medical skills might need to take a different direction on Saturday if the forecast violent thunder storms occur as mentioned on TV today! Hope you stay safe.

Neil, perhaps the first 'suggestion' in the box should be - 'wouldn't it be a great idea to have a test track on which we can film the stock as a sales aid for potential customers'!

Alan, that is a shocking tale, I'm sure that I am not alone in hoping that the situation reaches a favourable conclusion for Mrs Shedman5 and yourself. Sounds like the car park situation certainly put the icing on the cake. Best of luck mate.

Stewart, I hope that something turns up for you very soon. Had a similar drama years ago when the garage I ran as G.M. was taken over by a group, which after a while overreached itself and the receivers walked in! I thought it was the end of the world but within three weeks I was invited to be MD of my old site with the help of Renault UK. Try to stay positive, you'll certainly get plenty of support from your friends on RMweb!

Don't appear to have heard from 'Andyram' for some time - hope all is well with him following his move?

Very muggy here tonight so windows open and fan on while sipping the nightcap,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well we duly, eventually, saw the swan uppers (if that's what they are called?) - 6 pair oar skiffs with the crew is different outfits plus a supporting launch (one of the very nice HRR Umpires' launches) plus a number of smaller motor cruisers but all flying offical flags, presumably the 'support fleet?  Trouble was there weren't any cygnets about at all - just a single swan we'd seen about 40 minutes earlier upstream of Marsh Lock.

But at least we had a reasonably entertaining time watching boats going through the lock although for once they were only a couple of mildly idiotic skippers, no really daft ones.  And a narrow boat which was so beautifully handled it made all the rest look like amateurs despite a number of them being professionals - steering a narrow boat is not a simple task but unlike some of the motor cruisers he came out of the lock absolutely perfectly with no fuss whatsoever once the bow was fended off.  Several others - as is often the case - clearly don't understand how to handle a boat away from a lock wall.

Only problem was we had to walk all the way to the River & Rowing Museum to get a cuppa - no refreshments at the lock nowadays, strange thing progress.

• Like 4

Having, during ODA training, seen a number of such cases, and heard the surgeons' wistful remarks on them, I wholeheartedly agree.

I was intrigued, some time ago, by a service offered by a photographer's salon in Whitby; providing glamour portraits of, largely, ordinary local ladies. The window display showed the process starting with an initial mugshot of a pleasant enough female whose expression hinted at low self-esteem. She would be treated to expertly chosen clothes and makeup and instructed in deportment, with the photographer delivering the final image of a confident, attractive woman at her best. I'd like to think that at least a few of these were saved from painful and unnecessary surgery -and even the possibly dispiriting advice to seek conventional psychological help - by these means.

(Apologies if any of my opinions tread on your toes, iD.)

you are hardly "treading on my toes", you have very nicely described a much better way of dealing with low self-esteem than reaching for a scalpel. And, I believe, this is the right way: if you don't resolve the underlying psychological problem, surgery alone will not provide the solution. It is sobering to consider that our health service problems (wherever you may live) are partly self inflicted. The baby boomer generation has a lot to answer for, instant gratification may not be a problem for society when it concerns food, entertainment, clothes and "toys" (debatable), but instant gratification is certainly problematic for our health - leading to situations where a pill or a procedure (a "quick fix" so to speak) is expected, when other - slower and dare say "harder" - therapies are likely to be more effective (think "slimming pill" vs lifestyle change).

Anyway, sunny day ahead, followed by rehearsals (and, from now on, most of my spare time will be spent treading the boards instead of modelling)

Enjoy Thursday!

• Like 5

Morning All,

It is a nice sunny morning here in this part of the world. 

But at least we had a reasonably entertaining time watching boats going through the lock although for once they were only a couple of mildly idiotic skippers, no really daft ones.  And a narrow boat which was so beautifully handled it made all the rest look like amateurs despite a number of them being professionals - steering a narrow boat is not a simple task but unlike some of the motor cruisers he came out of the lock absolutely perfectly with no fuss whatsoever once the bow was fended off.  Several others - as is often the case - clearly don't understand how to handle a boat away from a lock wall.

I have done a reasonable amount of narrow boating over the years.  Saturday afternoons is always fun - when the hire boats go out with their "new" skippers :sarcastichand:

The best advice I ever got, was given to me by the lock keeper at Stourport Basin the first time I ever took a narrow boat out.  He said "Whatever you do, do it slowly.  That way, no one knows when you've got it wrong".  Good advice it was too.  Handling 25 tons of steel, that's 20 meters long, and 2 meters wide isn't always easy!

One of the skippers of a working boat told me the story of cutting a cabin cruiser in half.  The "expert" in control thought it might be a good idea to nip across in front of a fully loaded coal barge.  He learnt that it wasn't!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 9

Good Morning all,   

Now diesels & "clag", I could give you full "chapter & verse" on this, but I wont (to much like work!). But in a nutshell (with smaller hi-speed lumps say 20 - 3000hp  - 2100rpm Max) most of is down to not only getting fuel / air mix right, but also getting cylinder temperatures hot enough. I did a lot of field work  on this problem with one of the major engine manufactures during the 80's & 90's.  BTW the engine in Challenger we did screw up to over 2000hp on the test beds..(and didnt break it).

Not much more from me this morning - another day of trying not to beat wheel re-inventors up, 

try to enjoy something today,

Trev.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Trev
We used cv12 at 1200hp but did try it at 1500hp. It did have a reputation for clag but that was probably due to other factors.

Any way Good Morning all!

Have a great day and I hope you enjoy today!
Me, I will be catching up with chores and nor umpiring until tonight as we have some T20 style games on a Thursday evening.
Hope Lords manages to produce a decent pitch..but.....

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a very pleasant sunny morning already. 

Aditi will be at home today. She had booked tomorrow off as leave to attend Matthew's graduation but as he went to Australia to avoid the ceremony she was happy to swap to today as there are things she now needs to do at work on Friday.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing today. I suspect I may find myself assisting in the garden.

Tony

Morning. Luvverly here in the North (Norfolk).

I need something to do now that I've (finally) finished plasterboarding.

Modelling? Fat chance.

Plumbing and soil pipes? Possibly.

Painting? Not quite ready yet.

Gardening? Not having any TNT, I would need to borrow some goats and a petrol brushcutter at least...

Door hanging? Yeah - I'll do that.

Have a great day. Pete.

Hang on, is The Sun likely to re-issue it’s “Phewottascorcha!” headline today? Great Scott!

Can we expect photos of scantily clad young women with complexions of “cottage cheese” posing in the sun on dodgy large gravel beaches?

We should be told...

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

By the way.

Perhaps like “The Archers” we should have a compendium  “weekend”  edition of “ER” at the weekend - in order to allow catch up.

Though sometimes “Mrs. Dale’s Diary” is a more adequate comparison (and I’m just as guilty at times)..............

Can I urge everyone to remember that it is very easy for “strangers” with not so nice intentions to read everything on here. So, be careful of personal information given away. Some of our closest acquaintances can be our worst enemies too.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,
Sunshine with a bit of cloud here and already very warm.
I'm not firing on all cylinders at the moment as I'm waiting for the antibiotics to kick in. (better not mention the clag!)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Never a day goes by but an ER person suffers something ghastly, it seems. Shedman Alan gets my full sympathy, but the underlying problem is health-funding, with Trusts having to make money where they can, no doubt. And breast enhancement is a most unattractive prospect for this male. Rather a modestly-bosomed lady than something grand but false, thankyou.

Have just watched a short but entertaining video on YouTube. Brian Redman being interviewed about the Porsche 917 he drove in the very wet BOAC 1000 km race at Brandy Hatch in 1970. All good stuff (I was there, so know how wet it was) but he then went on to recount a tale of driving a pretty young woman around a racetrack in a new road-going Porsche, about a decade ago. At every corner she screamed loudly, and he was so impressed that after they'd stopped he asked her what she does during orgasm!

Another scorcher in prospect here, too. Hope you all survive if it's that way Chez Toi.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 3

Good morning all - may I offer an antidote to nasty?

Yesterday we had a wonderful day. We went to see my cousin in Sandwich. In January he started to suffer what seemed like the onset of Alzheimer's (he's 74) with night terrors and memory loss. He was taken into hospital where he got worse, quite serious dementia and violent at times. 

To cut a long story short, in May he was about to be taken into a nursing home - he was too bad for a care home. On the day he was due to go in - his wife had packed his things and they were in the car - some test results showed up (he had been tested for CJD because the onset of his dementia was so rapid) and other tests had been done as a matter of course. They showed that he had autoimmune encephalitis, which is treatable with antibiotics and steroids. He was improving from day 1, and home in a few weeks. He is now almost back to his old self, funny and comfortable. He's even started cooking again - he was a chef - although still a bit absent-minded. He made a superb paté for our lunch. This from a man who was completely demented five weeks ago.

So miracles do happen, and really good things are possible.

One day I'll tell you about my grandson...

This afternoon we're picking GD up from school and we're going to look at the lavender fields at Banstead. Should be pretty picturesque.

Oh - and Gove's still gone. Frabjous day.

Have as good a day as you possibly can.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That's why the call her Lassie.....

OOooooooOOOoooooo!!!!  (Sorry, this is in relpy to ian's post).

Morning world!

It was sunny, but has just coulded over, i think we're in for fog today by the look of it, water is getting all confused!

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hang on, is The Sun likely to re-issue it’s “Phewottascorcha!” headline today? Great Scott!

Can we expect photos of scantily clad young women with complexions of “cottage cheese” posing in the sun on dodgy large gravel beaches?

We should be told...

Best, Pete.

We should be told...

Best, Pete.

I wont even use the 'Sun' as toilet paper. The girls seem to shed more clothes as the temperature rises, none are naked yet but some are almost so. :crazy:

• Like 1

Morning all, another hot one  in propsect but some of the clouds over Borough Market Junction already have grey in them; hopefully it won't affect the cricket at Lords. I can't go but I can keep an eye on it at my desk.

Got my specs on today - when I put my right contact lens in this morning it felt liked I'd shoved glass in my eye - took me several minutes to get the thing out and the eye is still a little sore now. Not a major drama (and far from the worse that has ever happened - and very minor compared to some of the things that people on here are going through) but it did mean I shaved "blind" ....!

We've got a family picnic in Cambridge in Saturday - so it's all eyes on the forecast. It seems to be a little better than yesterday; but it's too soon to say. It's the only chance everyone can make  it so it won't get cancelled.

Just touching on the post by our resident Doc, many folk feel that they have paid for any help received from the NHS.

If the powers that be have spent the contributions on cycle tracks and opera then that is a matter for them.

There is a very big problem, however - one of sheer numbers.

I mentioned the opinion of my 'Health Professional' that there are 10M people with bad backs in the UK.

Imagine the logistics of putting them all through an MRI scanner! 

When the multitude of possible health issues are considered, the task of care/cure seems overwhelming.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright & sunny, some rain tonight (all being well - the new hose is getting a right pasting on the veg patch).

Talking of bikinis there was a rather nice young red headed lady in a bikini on one of the boats passing through the lock yesterday - and of course stationary while in the lock, at which point I think her mum was the one who suggested she pick up the towel off the cabin roof and wrap it around her lower half.  (mum's bikini top was smaller than the daughter's but she had a skirt on).

Oh the joys of summertime boating on the Thames!

Have a good day.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Oh the joys of summertime boating on the Thames!

Have a good day.

I believe today the official advice is not to go out between 11 and 3, wear loose clothes and a hat and don't leave the elderly or dogs unattended in cars. Forecast high here, 24C !