The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Funny old day yesterday with most of the day spent playing with my Nikon and Fuji camera taking shots for eBay.  Try as hard as I may, I couldn't get pin sharp shots with adequate depth of field.  Tried various lenses on my D5100 without success.  Maybe it's a lighting issue, but eventually gave up and got my pocket camera, a Fuji X10 out and snapped away.

First thing that surprised me was just how close I could get and still get a reasonable DoF.  Still not pin sharp, but more than adequate for eBay.  Made me think about parting with the Nikon but then the Fuji would be hopeless on distant stuff.  

Photography is definitely a black art and I'm still in the dark...

Sorry I'm a bit late chiming in on this, chaps, but Gordon's point is certainly interesting. For those of us on the nursery slopes of model photography - certainly where I am - the tiny sensors on the compact camera offer a real advantage with Depth of Field. And Fuji have a formidable reputation for their sensor design, particularly where colour is concerned.

But different folks really do manage different strokes, too. Andy Y, ISTR, has had a lot of success - and his pics surely are a success! - with a compact Canon, probably a G12 or similar. Chris Nevard - in the pre-Warners days when he was wont to post more on RMweb - then used a Nikon D200, with smaller, APS-C sensor, like Gordon's Nikon. Tony Wright, OTOH, uses a full-frame Nikon D3, and few would dismiss his results, either. Settling on a technique and repeating it to perfection is probably the key. "It'll be alright on the night" as many of us practice it, probably isn't.

Sorry I'm a bit late chiming in on this, chaps, but Gordon's point is certainly interesting. For those of us on the nursery slopes of model photography - certainly where I am - the tiny sensors on the compact camera offer a real advantage with Depth of Field. And Fuji have a formidable reputation for their sensor design, particularly where colour is concerned.

But different folks really do manage different strokes, too. Andy Y, ISTR, has had a lot of success - and his pics surely are a success! - with a compact Canon, probably a G12 or similar. Chris Nevard - in the pre-Warners days when he was wont to post more on RMweb - then used a Nikon D200, with smaller, APS-C sensor, like Gordon's Nikon. Tony Wright, OTOH, uses a full-frame Nikon D3, and few would dismiss his results, either. Settling on a technique and repeating it to perfection is probably the key. "It'll be alright on the night" as many of us practice it, probably isn't.P

Practice makes perfect

Laurence

• RMweb Gold

I haven't done anything model railway related today. The sit and ride convertible to trike toy for my niece arrived and I assembled it. Maya is 2 but very small compared to other 2 year olds so I've had a guess at the dimensions. Maya's mother (Emma) likes assembling things but I think she may be busy at the party on Saturday (not sure if we are going to the adults party or the children's one).  Emma or her father can do the final adjusting. Maya's Daddy (Aditi's brother Rajan) will be supervising the food!

Aditi has started writing her letter applying for the new post and the new version of her present post. For the latter all that is needed is a brief letter but for the new post a comprehensive CV is required. Aditi went through the job description and can "tick" most of the requirements. Some of her colleagues are rather upset to find that they are having to apply for their own posts even though there will be no redundancy due to other peoples resignation r or retirement. All the new contracts/posts include a teaching element. Aditi likes teaching so  isn't worried about that though it does seem to upset some who haven't taught for some years.

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

But different folks really do manage different strokes, too. Andy Y, ISTR, has had a lot of success - and his pics surely are a success! - with a compact Canon, probably a G12 or similar. Chris Nevard - in the pre-Warners days when he was wont to post more on RMweb - then used a Nikon D200, with smaller, APS-C sensor, like Gordon's Nikon. Tony Wright, OTOH, uses a full-frame Nikon D3, and few would dismiss his results, either. Settling on a technique and repeating it to perfection is probably the key. "It'll be alright on the night" as many of us practice it, probably isn't.

Watching Chris Nevard at work at shows taking pics of 'the latest releases' etc for the magazine is a revelation - enough illumination to deal with a decent size corner of Wembley Stadium.  The trick seems to be loadsa light but all the more so when using a DSLR or film.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

I'm beginning to feel the heat, 24.5C indoors. Problem is I can't open too many doors and windows due to the high pollen count. Hoping that the thunderstorms that are predicted for later in the week are sooner than expected.

When Chris was here to photograph an earlier version of ET, he used a Canon G12 for the basic shots and those in hard to access areas and then a full frame Nikon for the serious stuff.  Plus some smart work on Helicon Focus and Photoshop and this is what turned out..

Can't believe it was the pile of plywood and plastic upstairs…(sadly long gone)

With credit to the wonderful work of Chris Nevard.

post-6950-0-44692600-1405448497_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-60970200-1405448496_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-47495900-1405448498_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

All-time temperature records were set in four places in BC last weekend, plus at least 20 'records for the date'. All four record temperatures were between 40 and 41 degrees Centigrade. Being near the ocean, we didn't get that high, but we're forecast to reach 29 this afternoon. We're supposed to have a few more days of this before it breaks.

When Chris was here to photograph an earlier version of ET, he used a Canon G12 for the basic shots and those in hard to access areas and then a full frame Nikon for the serious stuff.  Plus some smart work on Helicon Focus and Photoshop and this is what turned out..

Can't believe it was the pile of plywood and plastic upstairs…(sadly long gone)

With credit to the wonderful work of Chris Nevard.

attachicon.gifnevard_100223_eastwood_IMG_6389.jpg

attachicon.gifnevard_100223_eastwood_DSC_6749.jpg

attachicon.gifnevard_100223_eastwood_DSC_6741.jpg

I do like Chris' work but I wish he would go easy on the photoshopped smoke sometimes. 

• RMweb Premium

Evening.. worn to a frazzle as the game today consisted of three off two hour sessions making up 96 overs...  Second day starts at 10:30 in the morning... some very quick bowling from the Yorkshire openers - one of whom has played first team cricket .. Moin Ashraf.. one for the future!

Hope everyone is safe and sound...

Baz

• RMweb Premium

I find my brain (such as it is) puts smoke in for me automatically to complete the picture...or at least I don't feel a need to have it photoshopped in, it never looks right.  I don't mind a bit of cloning or manipulation, but I don't like rather false looking smoke and steam.

it doesn't even look right when it's real...you can't scale physics.

post-10195-0-34042000-1405455720.jpg

• Like 17

Evening all,

Lovely images Neil, you can almost smell the steam!

Ian, I wager that August now seems a long way off! I'm glad that everyone appears to be acting like adults. Luckily the same happened to us in the main.

Gordon, have I missed the demise of ET? (Going by the comment in your recent post). If so, that would be a real shame as those pictures show - I love the big red locos!

It is really 'close' here tonight - lots of the satellite channels are breaking up and the gulls roosting on the other side of the railway are really noisy. Wonder if they can sense an impending storm?

Dom, nothing is worth getting that stressed over - I should take a leaf out of Frida's book : that is truly chilling out!

Good luck with the trip Dick. You appear to have very good advice - you can't have too much paperwork when it comes to satisfying the beaurocrats : particularly when you return to Britain!

Hump tomorrow if I'm allowed to say that! Why does my life seem to be accelerating away the older I get?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

I

it doesn't even look right when it's real...you can't scale physics.

Agree but what about the smell?

I swear that when they were cleaning up Liverpool St. Station I smelled the ghosts of B12’s...

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

All-time temperature records were set in four places in BC last weekend, plus at least 20 'records for the date'. All four record temperatures were between 40 and 41 degrees Centigrade. Being near the ocean, we didn't get that high, but we're forecast to reach 29 this afternoon. We're supposed to have a few more days of this before it breaks.

A lot of the USA will be experiencing record lows for July over the coming 7 days....

Best, Pete.

Morning All,

Nice pictures!  I am still waiting for the day that they produce a diesel model that can clag properly.  Having said that, I was watching some rail films the other day of heritage traction on preserved lines - and it makes me wonder if some of the locomotives are set up to over fuel and therefore clag more.  A prime example was one of the Hymeks - I don't remember them clagging quite like that "back in the day". On the other hand, maybe it is just because they never really get a chance to stretch their legs on the light railways.

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kfmtbk4Sg

Weather wise, it is rather grey and cloudy - I wouldn't rule out rain!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 6

Good morning all,  well thats another month half over!  Soon be August  folks.   My experience with  model steam out doors was limited to Bowman & BL pot -boilers  at the clubs outdoor railway  back in the '60's ( clubs still going with it's large out door layout too). So really do love those ones of Neil's.  The 3 1/2" gauge Tich dont count as I only steamed it a couple of times. 

Still it's hump day, so best get on, 

Trev.

• Like 5

Agree but what about the smell?

I swear that when they were cleaning up Liverpool St. Station I smelled the ghosts of B12’s...

Best, Pete.

Great turn of phrase, Pete.  Fond memories as a KX lad emerging from the Circle Line to find another great cathedral with Brits and that beautiful station pilot in showroom condition.  Take a trip down memory lane..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/sets/72157629207022935/

You're OK Jock, ET isn't dead, it's just resting.  I went into a hibernation phase when golf took over and there's not a lot of good signs whilst the weather is fine.  However, I have been through a load of stuff I wanted to sell on eBay that were luxuries and nor really needed.  A Grange and a Hall on a LNER layout?…..Guilty as charged.

The upside is that getting loco's out of their boxes and checking them through prior to sale, has given me a lift and the interest is returning, so once the weather drops off, I will hopefully get started again.

Jack is away in Scotland for a few days, so quite lonely here on my own,  Thankfully my two boys (dogs in case you're wondering…:-) ) are good company and keep me on my toes for most of the day.

• Like 4