The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Jock, I enjoy Classical music as much as Popular (in fact in one of my many lives I was Director of Production at Angel Records in Manhattan - till I found out it was more bitchy than Rock!

Nowadays Classical is all about interpretation - unless you are someone like John Taverner (RIP).

What I like about Rock is making a lot of noise with the electric guitar! Er, actually being creative with an electric guitar and playing something that no one, not ever, has heard before. Make sense?

I agree with ‘Ric Clapton who said famously: "I want to to a thousand different women and make an entire audience cry with just one note on my guitar” (paraphrased). My answer is: “Why stop there?"

Just kidding....

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

I found a video with Gerry singing “Oh, What a night! 1963” with the rest of the guys and by the sound of the "wah wah" it is almost contemporary with the actual release:

Good song from a long time ago......

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

Good Morning all and welcome to another week! 

managed to get some modelling (and work ) done yesterday, and amazingly managed to listen to most of the BB from Japan! 

Now lets see what today is going to chuck at us?

Try and enjoy your day,

Trev.

• Like 1

Morning All,

It is a nice sunny morning here - but I must confess to being slightly tired having stayed up to watch the World Cup final last night.  I am not a football fan, but I make an exception with big games like that one.

I thought both teams played well.  It is just a shame that Argentina seemed to get desperate near the end and started playing dirtier.  However, it was the right result at the end.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Back after a busy weekend of retirement party for my best friend and an early birthday for my youngest.

The retirement party went so well that the retiree awoke in a deck chair in his garden late the next morning, having sat down around 03:30. 

I was somewhat jaded too, having stayed up well past my bed time. I've decided that "going to bed late" should now be classified as a "rock star" type activity, along with driving cars into swimming pools.  :O

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, bright and sunny again, couple of important meetings today so my brain will ache at hometime but that pays the rent. Kittens are growing fast and still mad but sleeps are getting a bit longer as growing tires them out as well as hurling themselves round so fast. Happy Moanday!  

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky & sunshine and looks like staying that way for most of the day.

I have a sore head this morning and it wasn't caused by over indulgence of alcoholic refreshment! We went to Gemma's school fair yesterday and after spending about 4 hours walking around in the sun I've ended up with a burnt bonce. Her cake didn't win a prize in the competition however I can testify that it looked good, was delicious and should have done! It didn't seem to bother her and she was more pleased that we all liked it.

post-5890-0-39145500-1405322629_thumb.jpg

The competition judge lives at the end of my road and will be receiving a visit from "The Boys" later! :butcher: :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13

Good morning.

Clear blue sky, no clouds and Sunny but still cool. 19C max today.

I have been a resident here for 23 months now. Up until the end of May the Menus were on a 4 week cycle so that I knew in advance what each meal would be, but since the beginning of June, now 6 weeks past, there does not appear to be a pattern. It makes life interesting and less institutional.

I  hope your weeks turns out fine!

• Like 4

Jock, I enjoy Classical music as much as Popular (in fact in one of my many lives I was Director of Production at Angel Records in Manhattan - till I found out it was more bitchy than Rock!

Nowadays Classical is all about interpretation - unless you are someone like John Taverner (RIP).

What I like about Rock is making a lot of noise with the electric guitar! Er, actually being creative with an electric guitar and playing something that no one, not ever, has heard before. Make sense?

I agree with ‘Ric Clapton who said famously: "I want to ###### to a thousand different women and make an entire audience cry with just one note on my guitar” (paraphrased). My answer is: “Why stop there?"

Just kidding....

Best, Pete.

Morning All,

I agree about the interpretation of classical music.  Personally, I dont like Nigel Kennedy's version of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, as he plays it so fast, you think he is just rushing to get it finished and destroys the elegance of the music.  But I do know that some people love his version.

Listening to the 26 minute live version of Led Zeppelin's 'Dazed and Confused' on the way to work - wonderful!  I like both classical & rock!  Cant stand rap - there is a letter missing off the front of 'rap' in my book.

Pre-Retirement course today, which will hopefully prove informative.

• RMweb Premium

Morning..snuck on before her indoors realises!

I like all types of music .being married to a musician means that I occasionally get to hear her play. Flute, recorder,as well as early instruments like the crumhorn and,my favourite the schawm!

I did draw the line with percussion as our house isn't big enough for timpani!

Have a mega week and hope all is well in your world.

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

Much brighter here this morning.

I need to book Robbie in to kennels as Aditi has done all the booking for a long weekend in Brussels soon. She spent some time researching hotels in Bath too as her cousin will be arriving in September for a few days. The cousin's daughter is going to study at the university there. I think Aditi was then thinking about a short break in Somerset as well but hopefully more successful than our last attempt at a break in the west (cancelled due to work).

Tony

Good morning all,

Blue sky & sunshine and looks like staying that way for most of the day.

I have a sore head this morning and it wasn't caused by over indulgence of alcoholic refreshment! We went to Gemma's school fair yesterday and after spending about 4 hours walking around in the sun I've ended up with a burnt bonce. Her cake didn't win a prize in the competition however I can testify that it looked good, was delicious and should have done! It didn't seem to bother her and she was more pleased that we all liked it.

attachicon.gifIMG_0906=1.jpg

Bob, that is one Hell of a breakfast. I couldn't manage two though.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning. Well it would be I fit wasn't peeing down!  Today is my first proper day as a retired person I suppose, as we went on holiday the next day after my last day actually in work.

I have a long list....bah.

Bath Uni, Tony - Jayne is a Bath graduate, MSc Metallurgy, she loved it there, and was very complimentary about it and Bath, but to be fair it was a while ago....  :angel:

• RMweb Gold

The depth of field problem really causes difficulties with close ups. In the film days the answer was one of those large format cameras where you could tilt the film relative to the lens. Mind you the cost of the camera and film woul make you wince.

There is no doubt the Canon lenses in my DSLR are better than in my pocket sized camera but the Olympus SH50 has a 24x optical zoom which is better than the cannons two lenses 18-55 and 50-250 zoom it is much litter than the canon boy without the lenses. The only problem is there is no view finder on the SH50 and without my reading glasses I cannot see what is on the display. So if taken in a hurry it is a point andd shoot in hope affair! Inciently one of the advantages of SLRs was the fact that the view shows what will be on the film i.e. no parrallax error from the viewfinder. With modern digital camera the display should be what will be capturedd on the shot.

I could of course but the price is high and waving a long lens around on a han held camera doesn't assist image quality even with IS.

As Mike says light is one of the key factors with additional lighting the lens can be closed down a little which increases depth of field so try ading an aditional spotlight on your models.

Don

Morning all,

Thanks for the illumination Pete - I recall winding the record player with Caruso or Gigli on it for my great grandfather (ex miner in his 90s in Hurlford) when I was 5 or 6 : he always said 'you'll know good music when you feel it in your guts'! I've always been shaken by classical music in a way that 'pop' doesn't, even becoming a Wagner fan at a fairly early age! My father had a large collection of classical music and mum was a pianist who loved Chopin and Liszt - he became a member of Coventry Garden when we moved south so I've always been steeped in it I suppose. Such a subjective matter - one mans meat etc.

Good luck Neil, I've no doubt Debs will have plenty of indoor chores lined up to keep you amused! Master of metallurgy? Jayne sounds like an interesting lass - is she coping now?

John, tardy but heartfelt thanks for the link on the SMP points - hopefully my 'ten thumbs' will be able to cope. My biggest concern is how to heat sink the plastic sleeper base to stop it melting! (sorry Debs if you're looking in!)

Busy day ahead, shopping (haven't picked up BRM yet so didn't need much persuading!) followed by great grandson to school, his mum to a medical appointment and then pick him up again. No doubt a few chores in between so I better head for the shower!

Hope you all survive the day without disasters,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited to include late thanks to John CB - I should read the thread more thoroughly before posting!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete.  I spent all day yesterday with the Beach Boys and today will be the Four Seasons going round my head…:-)

Apparently Grease is the word - have you heard ?

• RMweb Premium

I didn't get on much yesterday as Martyn has realised that having paid for his games on SteamStore he can download them onto this laptop as well. However it's a smaller, slower machine so much teenage strop ensued as some won't run well. or at all, after hours downloading. It seems to be my fault for having a carp laptop. As it's the free HP one I got from AOL for signing up years ago I don't accept the blame! Until the main PC went belly up it was only used for web access when Martyn was using the PC for homework and for maintaining my model stock database as it can be carried up to the loft. Now it's my main machine until I get a new PC.

So I went to Totton on my own. By bus on my pass (together we'd have gone by train on family card). Unfortunately Totton was cut off from the outside world for the afternoon due to their carnival. There were no notices on the bus and no announcement by the driver so I missed the one stop that would have given a shortish walk into the centre, ending up with a 2 mile walk to the venue. Normally a doddle apart from the time factor but these days I have painful feet (a different cause for each), which held up for the walk but suffered later. However the hall, behind the Con Club, had a bar, with a real ale, so I was suitably refreshed. Nice little local show but the hall lighting was best described as gloomy. I bought a couple of books but otherwise was only tempted by an Emhar 1/24 Bedford O series British Railways lorry, which I resisted. So far. I keep having second thoughts and looked it up on the web.

I watched the match last night. Although close, I thought the better team on the field won, with a goal worthy of the occasion.

It's shaping up for a warm day here, hope everyone'sr day goes well.

Pete

….and 50 years later, old Brian Wilson can still hack it.  Loved the early film, but they looked totally lost when the instrumental break kicked in…:-)

21.40 in from the start.  That's the rest of the morning gone!

http://youtu.be/xHcEjoElYZ4

Thanks, Gordon - and Pete for the early BB link. Amazing that you can find a whole concert online - but in fan days hunting out good vinyl bootlegs of live shows took so long. The early Virgin shop in a small room up a flight in Oxford Street sold great stuff - and a little shack on Carnaby Street, too.

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Neil - to welcome you to the "retirement" take a look at http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5867&p=140364#p140364 Page 6 - I think you'll appreciate it!

I only get a month of retirement - then go to work again - selling large scale..... :sungum:

We have a meet here on my railway in the next couple of weeks, some friends from across that come every year and a couple of locals to top things up.

• Like 7