The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Update on Chiropracter. Unimpressed. 14 hours later and the pain is as bad, if not worse than it ever was - and i’m $200.00 lighter in my wallet - ugly vision of being broke before that idiot cures me.

I can really understand why chronic pain get make people top themselves.

Next time anyone says “Total Body and Spirit Wellness” I’m reaching for my sidearm. Assclown and his fancy tricks trying to impress me. What was worse is that I could tell that I was falling for them. I wish I had read this before my appointment: http://www.skepdic.com/chiro.html

Sorry for rant everyone.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Good morning all,   for some stupid reason I agreed to go to a site meeting at 8:30 this morning - before I remembered that today was Saturday!  Though sometimes that is the only time all the right people can be in the same place. Never mind though it takes me near the supermarket where I can get some pretty decent pork. 

What ever you're up to today do your best to enjoy something!

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Woke up at stupid o clock this morning, as did SWMBO so downstairs watching what got taped yesterday over a leisurely breakfast.  However a good day beckons.

a)  Of to Wakefield to a club members annual 'Steam and Strawberries' event when he throws his railway equipped garden open to raise money for his church.  I've never been but am looking forward to seeing the garden railway and meeting some friends.

b) An evening out with some friends from our church.   A modicum of wine will be taken no doubt.

The weather looks good so it should be a good day.

Jamie

• Like 7

Up early, needs of the bladder...

So far have washed up, loaded dishwasher and tidied kitchen, had coffee in the garden. Now setting about ham and cheese croissants for Julie and GD. One's off to gymnastics, one to a craft fair. Have a guess...

Maybe some political photowork today, definitely a visit to the pharmacy and Smiths for lizard injections and a couple of GBLs.

Have a nice day, all, may your weekend be soft and gentle as an old blanket. Or not, as the case may be.

Update on Chiropracter. Unimpressed. 14 hours later and the pain is as bad, if not worse than it ever was - and i’m $200.00 lighter in my wallet - ugly vision of being broke before that idiot cures me.

I can really understand why chronic pain get make people top themselves.

Next time anyone says “Total Body and Spirit Wellness” I’m reaching for my sidearm. Assclown and his fancy tricks trying to impress me. What was worse is that I could tell that I was falling for them. I wish I had read this before my appointment: http://www.skepdic.com/chiro.html

Sorry for rant everyone.

Best, Pete.

You have my sympathy, Pete. Chronic pain is a right bu99er and incredibly difficult to treat. One thing that is popular in Germany and Switzerland is the Kur. Which basically means going to a Spa town, immersing yourself in sulpherous waters (and drinking same if you are unlucky), getting mud baths and massages and eating healthily. Amazingly, you do get benefit from immersing yourself in such warm waters, I find that it does give some relief to my aches and pains. BUT the scientific skeptic in me says that that's due to being de-stressed, relaxed and fed healthy food - something you could do at home with a hot bath (although a DIY job would mean that you'd miss out on the frison of a mixed sauna after your invigorating dip).

"Total Body and Spirit Wellness" is a very old concept (mens sana, corpora sana) and not without merit. Unfortunately, the concept for the most part has been hi-jacked by charlatans, quacks and con-men, aided by supposedly intelligent people, who swallow the nonsense lock, stock and barrel (I blame the lack of understanding of proper science and what "science" actually is). I am not against traditional medicine per se, but the claims have to be backed up by rigorous scientific testing. Necking a bottle of Roederer Crystal, eating a medium rare Porterhouse steak whilst my afflicted shoulder is massaged by a supermodel of my choice, may have worked for me. But this is only anecdotal. I certainly wouldn't claim it is a cure for chronic pain (unless I had a vested interest in shifting Roederer Crystal, Porterhouse Steaks and hiring out supermodels....)

One practitioner that has provided me with true pain relief is my physical therapist. Unfortunately, it's not a permanent cure and you do have to experience quite a lot of discomfort when muscles are de-knotted or joints go through range of motion exercises. I'd much rather go to PT than a chiropracter or any other practitioner "alternative" medicine (and don't get me started on homeopathy....)

Gute Besserung, mate

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Nice day so far today.

If I remember I will upload a photo from our New Zealand part of our hold as the mainline railway through Hastings goes straight through the city. They even included a water featured pretending to be a turntable for it to cross.

Have a great Saturday

Baz

• Like 4

It's Saturday!

Actually that makes no difference here, excepting the Saturday menu is more casual.  Hamburger and chips today. The hamburger comes with sauteed onions, lettuce and tomato.

Mostly clear skies with some high cloud, lots of Sunshine but NO warmth. Max predicted; 15C

I hope your weekend includes lots of railway, model or full size.

• Like 1

Morning all. Grey. Actually very grey. With added drizzle. And fog. Nice.

Drove into Norwich last night and dropped my daughter (11) at a residential activity centre for a Girl Guide weekend. Apparently the climbing wall is "broken" so they have an alternative

fun filled weekend ahead of them including litter picking* and a visit to a residential care home. My daughter's such a kind-hearted soul, she's actually delighted! You can imagine most kids being a bit miffed!

* I'm not sure about the litter picking though. I thought muggers got to do that kind of thing during community service... If I find she's spent the entire weekend weeding a roundabout or removing graffiti I'll want my money back!

Have a great weekend. Pete.

• Like 1

Beautiful morning here on the Costa . . . . Just seen the "colliery" band off for what could be the last Durham Big Meeting . . (no cuddies about, though Baz) . .

so I think I'll give Durham a miss today...

But . . . .Exhibition on at British West Hartlepool this weekend

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another dull grey start but some sunshine possible early this afternoon followed by the risk of the occasional thundery shower.

Looks like being hectic here as I have to go and collect youngest granddaughter Gemma who is coming for the day. Among other things she wants to bake a cake  (for a school fair competition tomorrow). Apparently it is most important that grandparents attend this function.

We've also got friends coming for a meal tonight so although my culinary talents are once again not required I will be needed for umpteen domestic tasks.

Son is visiting to collect a parcel he's had delivered here and also something stored in the loft (one day there'll be room for a railway up there)

Apart from that can the collective wisdom of ERs answer a question that has puzzled me for ages. Why is that on various antiques shows (No I don't know why I watch them) do people bang on about wanting more money for the "sentimental value" of the item?  If it meant that much to them why try to flog it on national television.

Now being asked if I'm going to sit here typing all day so I better "get a move on" as suggested.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 5

Beautiful morning here on the Costa . . . . Just seen the "colliery" band off for what could be the last Durham Big Meeting . . (no cuddies about, though Baz) . .

so I think I'll give Durham a miss today...

Why is it likely to be the last Gala?

You have my sympathy, Pete. Chronic pain is a right bu99er and incredibly difficult to treat. One thing that is popular in Germany and Switzerland is the Kur. Which basically means going to a Spa town, immersing yourself in sulpherous waters (and drinking same if you are unlucky), getting mud baths and massages and eating healthily. Amazingly, you do get benefit from immersing yourself in such warm waters, I find that it does give some relief to my aches and pains. BUT the scientific skeptic in me says that that's due to being de-stressed, relaxed and fed healthy food - something you could do at home with a hot bath (although a DIY job would mean that you'd miss out on the frison of a mixed sauna after your invigorating dip).

"Total Body and Spirit Wellness" is a very old concept (mens sana, corpora sana) and not without merit. Unfortunately, the concept for the most part has been hi-jacked by charlatans, quacks and con-men, aided by supposedly intelligent people, who swallow the nonsense lock, stock and barrel (I blame the lack of understanding of proper science and what "science" actually is). I am not against traditional medicine per se, but the claims have to be backed up by rigorous scientific testing. Necking a bottle of Roederer Crystal, eating a medium rare Porterhouse steak whilst my afflicted shoulder is massaged by a supermodel of my choice, may have worked for me. But this is only anecdotal. I certainly wouldn't claim it is a cure for chronic pain (unless I had a vested interest in shifting Roederer Crystal, Porterhouse Steaks and hiring out supermodels....)

One practitioner that has provided me with true pain relief is my physical therapist. Unfortunately, it's not a permanent cure and you do have to experience quite a lot of discomfort when muscles are de-knotted or joints go through range of motion exercises. I'd much rather go to PT than a chiropracter or any other practitioner "alternative" medicine (and don't get me started on homeopathy....)

Gute Besserung, mate

Thanks, Flavio. I was in considerable pain when I wrote my last post.

However I am still very angry that I let myself be put into a position  where the possibility of some kind of paralysis could have been the outcome of “manipulation” in order to save myself from further pain - which happened anyway, the pain that is.

After all “manipulation” is the raison d’etre of their entire philosophy.

What made me really feel uneasy and which I ignored at the time, was that this practitioner was promoting Chiropracty in his office as the first line of practice for pediatrics instead of conventional medicine.

Don’t grasp at straws! - that should be my new philosophy....

Sorry my mind is still racing, tea could be the answer.

Thanks, again. Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that while acute pain probably comes from an injury cronic pain which persists is likely to be either excessive wear and tear or over straining of something. At one time Marion was suffering from pain in her wrists and hands. She need to strap them up at night. Moving from a large garden cured the problem.  Sometimes there is little you can do my Granfather was suffering with severe pain in his shouler the Doctor advised rest. However this was during the depression there was no sick pay so Grandad had to carry on working. He said I don't know whether it slowly eased or I just got used to it. Overweight, energetic sports, bad posture are all causes of straining the body curing the cause is the best answer. Oddly too little exercise (of a gentle sort) can also be a problem as when you do need to do something your body is not in good shape.

I write this in some discomfort unable to bend properly at the waist. I have oviously overdone something. I suspect trying to saw at a funny angle having climbed up a small tree to cut the top off. I may try to walk on less steep slopes this morning our 800ft climb in less than a mile from the house may be a bit much  today.

Don

Good morning all,

Another dull grey start but some sunshine possible early this afternoon followed by the risk of the occasional thundery shower.

Looks like being hectic here as I have to go and collect youngest granddaughter Gemma who is coming for the day. Among other things she wants to bake a cake  (for a school fair competition tomorrow). Apparently it is most important that grandparents attend this function.

We've also got friends coming for a meal tonight so although my culinary talents are once again not required I will be needed for umpteen domestic tasks.

Son is visiting to collect a parcel he's had delivered here and also something stored in the loft (one day there'll be room for a railway up there)

Apart from that can the collective wisdom of ERs answer a question that has puzzled me for ages. Why is that on various antiques shows (No I don't know why I watch them) do people bang on about wanting more money for the "sentimental value" of the item?  If it meant that much to them why try to flog it on national television.

Now being asked if I'm going to sit here typing all day so I better "get a move on" as suggested.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Bob, My (late) best friend in the USA was one of the “experts” on the American version of “Antiques Roadshow”. Barry Webber, specializing in antique jewelry. He never got paid by the show - and even had to pay his own airfare to the various locations over here (the distance between them was often considerable), neither was he allowed to cash in on his position by quoting “As seen on Antiques Roadshow” etc.

I ask him why he did it? The answer that remains in my mind is that at one time they were able to break up an international team of criminals that were cashing in Nazi loot, after all these years, by infiltrating them onto the program as if the program was one long free advert.... Astonishing!

I’m sure it has been used as that by other unscrupulous individuals and groups.

RIP, Barry.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

I could fill a large and very boring book on the subject of "My Back".

Everything from tall stories about miracle cures to being set alight by a revolutionary TENS machine.

My favourite is the one about Mrs Bloggs who managed to walk 25 yards the first day, 50 yards the second and is now Chair Person of the Ramblers Association.

Or maybe Joe Dunkin who was able to carry an empty box at first and then graduated to work at a Removal Company.

My only benefit so far is to consider the opposite of what is recommended.

Use Ice Packs = Have a hot bath etc.,.

My Top Tip = If it hurts stop doing it.

I'm told there are 10 million people in the UK with 'bad' backs.

Edit to say I've had good (temporary) results from an Aromatherapist and it smells nice too.

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Off to New Cross after breakfast. Weather forecast suggests rain so I think a waterproof jacket may help even though I intend to be inside looking at trains rather than outside watching the Morris dancing once I get there.

I'm fortunate that my chronic pains are rarely acute and if they do become so I respond very well to paracetamol.

My father had a bad back almost certainly from the effects of rapid acceleration vertically in a Churchill tank courtesy of an anti tank mine. His back pain in later years seemed to be very poorly treated and he started self medicating with alcohol which didn't turn out well.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

What made me really feel uneasy and which I ignored at the time, was that this practitioner was promoting Chiropracty in his office as the first line of practice for pediatrics instead of conventional medicine.

Don’t grasp at straws! - that should be my new philosophy....

Sorry my mind is still racing, tea could be the answer.

Thanks, again. Pete.

Tea often helps me!

Pete, I tried to send you a PM but you seem to either be "full" or not accepting them.

This started with a criticism of chiropractic practice but turned into libel law reform here.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

My goodness we've moved on apace.  I blink and three new pages go up!  My apologies if I miss anything of consequence but I simply don't have time to go back and read everything.

Excellent night out last night.  An organised whisky tasting led by a "Master of Whisky" and five single-barrel malts to enjoy along with suitable nibbles.  So little is made of these whiskies that they don't have names - only the number of the cask they came from.  One cask and made once only.  Magnificent stuff and around 56% alcohol.  If you did happen to find a bottle of them, each individually numbered, it would set you back over £300.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

so I think I'll give Durham a miss today..

Ditto

Ditto

Thought: Is the plural of Ditto, Ditti?

In which case I've just sung you a little Ditti.