The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Judging by AndrewC's comments about his neighbours, the quality of civilisation in his part of the Boring Borough must be a bit patchy, to say the least....not like that in the sunl;it uplands of Sidcup, of course :P

Edited by The Lurker

• RMweb Gold

Single item in our post today - copy of the letter from the Consultant Neurologist to my GP say 'no emergence of Parkinsonian symptoms' (since I saw him 6 months ago), can't totally discount it for the future but thinks it is very likely just essential tremor, i.e. written confirmation of what he said to me.  Possible drug treatment also mentioned but as that's a beta blocker I don't really fancy it and will just carry on tremoring I think.

Somewhat hot outside but some garden hacking done and we actually got into the car park locally today so no need to tramp off to the other Waitrose - thus far not a bad day and quiche for dinner.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Evening, what a lovely day. Glad to see the weather stayed kind for the D-Day anniversary commemorations in France, sad to think it's likely to be one of the last.

We can only imagine what it must have been like to step off one of those craft onto those beaches, not knowing if each step was going to be the last...brave men, one and all.

My 90 year old mum is in hospital waiting for an op, visited her today. Now, she has quite advanced dementia, so conversations tend to be a loop of whatever thought has crept into her mind at that time - basically, she has no memory of even a minute ago. However we had a very interesting conversation after I reminded her that it was the 70th anniversary of D-Day. Not dreaming that this would mean much to her you can imagine my surprise when she launched into a very lucid and vivid account of her D-Day.

Basically, she worked as some sort of clerk at Eastleigh engine shed booking engines for upcoming troop movements etc. She vividly recalls the flurry of activity prior to D-Day leading everybody to surmise that something big was in the air. She then went on to describe in some detail what was needed, how many they had to keep spare, engines from other sheds etc. At one point in transcribing an important telephone call about these movements there was an air raid warning, but mum decided to finish the call. However she was also responsible for flicking some sort of breaker switch to turn the shed lights off, because of the call she was late or forgot to do so thus leaving all the lights blazing away. Apparently she got a huge rollicking for this, it made her chuckle when she told me today.

Sadly, immediately after this conversation we went back to the usual 'where am I' and 'what am I in for' conversation loop, but it was good while it lasted.

Well, weekend should be good, off to Northallerton tomorrow then onto Wensleydale Railway to make A4 No.4464 ready for a return to Southall on Monday...just a shame it's engine and coach only, but heyho should be fun.

Take care....

• RMweb Premium

An odd day today - a Bank Holiday here for Senior race Day, and Jayne wanted things to go 'as normal', which means a load of friends at hers and a BBQ etc. We did our best, but......it's very hard.  Exhausted.

Trev's photos of the MER brought a smile - I know where each was taken so things haven't changed much!  Laxey station has however, it was re-vamped last winter and is tidy but not very good IMHO.  The surface is now gravel which is murder for those of us with arthritic hips to walk on, never mind what wheelchair users must think.  They dug up a fine palm tree to add in a new siding, thus destroying one of the best features fo the station, not impressed.  Also the pointwork was moved out of the station for the shuttle train to run around, not that there has ever been any accidents, but it means the activity now takes place by a major (for us) road and folk stand IN the road to photograph it...#sigh#  However the first train to use the new points derailed, as the trailer car was too light to move the sprung points!  Presumably they were sprung for a class 56 or whatever you folks use now. Oops, rant.

Evening all,

In a somewhat perverse way, it is almost reassuring to read of everyone's age related problems (bits dropping off, bits not working, bits having to be removed, etc.) as it is a reminder of how lucky the post war "baby boomer" generation has been. Thanks to better and more widely available paediatric health care, better infant nutrition and better sanitation, we have - pretty much en masse - had a healthier and longer life than our forebears. I read somewhere that the average life expectancy in the East End at the time of Jack the Ripper was 28 years! Not because of any biological difference, but due to appalling infant and childhood mortality and early death due to a combination of overwork and malnutrition (if you made past infancy and childhood, had a position in life that provided good food, shelter and an absence of body destroying physical labour, chances were pretty good about getting to one's "four score years and ten")

So quite frankly, despite bemoaning my lot and commiserating with fellow ERs on their maladies, I should be bloody thankful. Being born even only 50 years earlier than I was, would have meant an infants grave. Yet here I am, creaky and decrepit, being a real grumpy old PITA!

One interesting comment was made on this subject my Genetics prof at University. He claimed we have not evolved to get old, because once we have passed on our genes (I.e. "had kids") we are biologically redundant. Additional food for thought is provided by Larry Niven with his Pak hominids. In this scenario our adulthood is equivelant to the Pak breeder stage, but in the absence of the "tree of life" symbiotic virus we cannot develop into the mature "protector" stage. And all our ills are due to the body preparing to be transformed but being unable to do so.

Furthermore, today is also a a sad reminder of a major reason for low average life expectancies in the past: war. It is sobering to think that so many on the D-Day beaches were barely out of adolescence and would never even see their 30s.

Edited by iL Dottore

Evening everyone I hope you all have had a good Friday. Today has been a day of tears here, starting with Sarah this morning. She was not happy to be back in the bungalow and admitted to me that she did not want to come home last night. At least by this evening she has cheered up after an enjoyable morning at the local play group and an afternoon catch up with one of her friends. Some letters from the solicitors today are a sign of progress which has helped her mood, as has my news that all the carpets and flooring have now been fitted in the new house.

At work the student called in sick so I was on my own today. It was nice to have the class back and we had an enjoyable day. The top class departed at lunch time for their PGL weekend trip. This led to more tears, from parents and also from the younger siblings who claimed they were going to "miss" their older brothers and sisters. A bit of surrogate parenting needed this afternoon!

This evening it was my turn for the eyes to turn moist as I watched the news coverage of the D Day celebrations. The sight of the brave veterans with all of their medals remembering the fallen did bring a lump to my throat. I have no shame in admitting that. What they had to experience is beyond most of our comprehension and we should be thankful for their bravery.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Just getting into evening here, need to find/make something for dinner...

Mrs has taken off for the weekend for a mother-daughter visit to Grand Forks, ND, so I'm on my own - well, it's me and Bob, but he's OK so long as I feed him at the prescribed times :)

<phew> It sure can be dangerous venturing/posting/venting out into the non-ER/Wheeltappers area of RMWeb! Apparently I need to stop whining (about Hornby!) and better not speak out-of-turn otherwise some of the native sure do get restless! :)

I guess one should only post "happy thoughts", "positive experiences", "be a cheerleader", "don't raise your voice" or in other words either lie or shut up !! And certainly DON"T provide a blow-by-blow as you experience anything even if it's on topic in a thread IF IT'S NEGATIVE and especially if it concerns our red box "buddies" - that's taught ME my place for sure (ya RIGHT!!)  :jester:

I managed a whopping TWELVE (count em) "disagrees" in the space of about a couple of hours today - beat THAT :sungum:  :triniti:  :mail:

Thunderstorms building outside too (as in as well as on RMWeb)   ;)  but I may well manage some serious modelling this weekend which will be nice.

You know it makes sense, Luvly jubly everyone...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

A very late good evening all, been really moved by those to whom we owe so much, turning out in France today for the big occasion! What a sight - Putin, Obama Merkel, et al, waiting for and then heartily applauding the Queen and entourage. The only drag for old atheist me was the religious input : brought to mind Bob Dylan's 'With God on Their Side' because the protagonists all believed in 'His' support. Sadly, not many of those present today will make it again but, as I've said before, I feel it is our duty to ensure that they are not forgotten.

Back to the mundane and Joanna's wish that the rest of our garden fencing should look as good as the new section - got the pressure washer out and stripped all the verdigris from the older panels. They can now be stained when dry and if the weather permits. Should be worth some brownie points?

Neil, pleased to hear that Jane sought some semblance of normality today - whilst it must have been a wrench for you two, it is a promising step. Until the funeral and other formalities are out of the way, it will be hanging over her like a cloud. Good luck with your task!

Ian, I hope you enjoy scrutineering weekend, all part of the lead up to the madness that will descend on your area next week!

Sky box in action this weekend with F1 in Canada and World Superbikes at Sepang.

Hope you all enjoy,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Evening all,

In a somewhat perverse way, it is almost reassuring to read of everyone's age related problems (bits dropping off, bits not working, bits having to be removed, etc.) as it is a reminder of how lucky the post war "baby boomer" generation has been.

Certainly agree, even given it definately is somewhat perverse... besides all my stuff works as well as it ever has, so long as I take it slower, get more rest, squint some , listen up, take the prescribed tablets (and have the regular checkups), eat a more balanced diet, exercise more and frequently...see, just as good as I was at 25 :)

It truly is amazing that we have come a long way in what seems a fairly short time - I'm only a couple of years shy of the age my dad was when he died and I KNOW I'm in better overall shape and condition than he was at 50!

Good reminder that we are very, very fortunate, thanks for that - a nice way to brighten the evening, truly  :good: I really enjoy ER

A very late good evening all, been really moved by those to whom we owe so much, turning out in France today for the big occasion! What a sight - Putin, Obama Merkel, et al, waiting for and then heartily applauding the Queen and entourage. The only drag for old atheist me was the religious input : brought to mind Bob Dylan's 'With God on Their Side' because the protagonists all believed in 'His' support. Sadly, not many of those present today will make it again but, as I've said before, I feel it is our duty to ensure that they are not forgotten.

Back to the mundane and Joanna's wish that the rest of our garden fencing should look as good as the new section - got the pressure washer out and stripped all the verdigris from the older panels. They can now be stained when dry and if the weather permits. Should be worth some brownie points?

Neil, pleased to hear that Jane sought some semblance of normality today - whilst it must have been a wrench for you two, it is a promising step. Until the funeral and other formalities are out of the way, it will be hanging over her like a cloud. Good luck with your task!

Ian, I hope you enjoy scrutineering weekend, all part of the lead up to the madness that will descend on your area next week!

Sky box in action this weekend with F1 in Canada and World Superbikes at Sepang.

Hope you all enjoy,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock - if I were handling them out, it'd be worth a BUCKET LOAD of brownie points. :)

• RMweb Gold

Good old 'whining Ian' - the thread he refers to has made interesting reading and the appearance of moaners has struck me as rather odd in that somewhat perverse way which only seems to happen on the internet or with tv programmes; if people don't want to read something or are fed up with reading it why do they still carry on and read it (or in the case of tv - watch it)?

Is it that these glowing screens in front of us lure us into some sort of visual masochism where we find true delight in looking at something we don't like.  Or is it that folk can't find the mouse or off switch; or is it some sort of weird satisfaction that they gain from a rush of adrenaline as their anger surges and hackles rise.  Or is it that it gives them the opportunity of pounding their keyboard in a way that makes 'disgusted of Tonbridge Wells' sound as if they are serving cucumber sarnies at the vicarage tea party?

To be honest I'm b*gg*r*d if I know but it can get highly amusing - albeit not as interesting or informative as Ian's series of posts.

• Like 2

Good old 'whining Ian' - the thread he refers to has made interesting reading and the appearance of moaners has struck me as rather odd in that somewhat perverse way which only seems to happen on the internet or with tv programmes; if people don't want to read something or are fed up with reading it why do they still carry on and read it (or in the case of tv - watch it)?

Is it that these glowing screens in front of us lure us into some sort of visual masochism where we find true delight in looking at something we don't like.  Or is it that folk can't find the mouse or off switch; or is it some sort of weird satisfaction that they gain from a rush of adrenaline as their anger surges and hackles rise.  Or is it that it gives them the opportunity of pounding their keyboard in a way that makes 'disgusted of Tonbridge Wells' sound as if they are serving cucumber sarnies at the vicarage tea party?

To be honest I'm b*gg*r*d if I know but it can get highly amusing - albeit not as interesting or informative as Ian's series of posts.

Mike, I needed a "funny", "like", "agree", and "thanks" for this one - you're priceless :)

I am with you 100% - if folks don't like it why read/follow a thread, even MORE, why, rather than offer an opposing viewpoint which may sway the other contributors (VERY unlikely in this particular case!!) do they simply post, whining themselves in the process, about "whining"?? :banghead:

I know most of my post there are complaints, if they care to read/see them that way, but it's the critique of the object in question that is the point of the thread. That I seem to be having more issues than most belies the discourse  posting of factual activity describing of events, no wait, let me get it right, "whining", in the first place <sigh> :)

I'm so glad ER folks are thicker skinned and more relaxed, what a refreshing bunch you all are in here. The only sad part is I honestly wish we could all meet up the pub for lunch tomorrow, I think it'd be a wonderful experience... :friends:

Signed yours, "really ticked off (am I allowed to say that or is that too harsh language!!) of Edina" - psst, they never say rude things like that up the palace you know! The Queen Mum would turn in her grave! :jester:

• Like 5

Couldn't head to bed tonight without posting this;

Bob decided to "guard" the engine shed area tonight whilst I was working on the layout! Shoo, you silly cat!!  :jester: Like THAT made a difference!!!

post-20244-0-75757600-1402110743_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Warmish and rather overcast here. It looks cloudier over the other side of the river though. I'm not sure if we will get the forecast thunderstorms, we are definitely east but perhaps not east enough for the predicted storm route.

We have no plans at present to go anywhere or do anything this weekend. 

Tony

• Like 3

you can imagine my surprise when she launched into a very lucid and vivid account of her D-Day.

My MiL has short term memory loss.

However, she can launch into her days at Bletchley Park in great detail - but will freeze with a look if anyone should happen to ask what she did there.

That generation took their oaths of secrecy very seriously.

For example: She once had to tell a colleague her father had been run over in the blackout by a steam roller.

Hysteria took over and she hid behind a desk with a handkerchief stuffed into her mouth.

Morning all.
Overcast and raining, complete contrast to yesterday. Huuuuge thunderstorms overnight, cleared the air beautifully, but no cutting grass today!
Excellent dinner at a resto in St Hilaire last evening, where they had used Bing to tranlate the menu for us English, with hilarious results. Still wondering over the 'foie gras (cod) in apples'. I'll put some pictures up later, but at moment I'm laying in bed with the iPad, coffee and croissants. Mustn't overdo it...

>edit<

IMG_0257-Version2_zps25dfd0fa.jpg

IMG_0258-Version2_zps64b3726b.jpg

Edited by Smiffy2
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

No rain..yet..but the deluge is apparently on its way. This is due to my umpiring appointment at Westwood with Yorkshire Academy...again!

If it doesn't rain I am off down the pub to drown my sorrows.

Late back from a T20in Hull last night. Took over two and a half hours to get there due to an accident on the M1/M621 junction...which was designed by an idiot..

Lots of police looking at two badly bent cars. Air ambulance used to get someone off to hospital..not nice..all cleared by the time I got back.

Nice tea with eldest son who has decided his PhD thesis will be in by Christmas...then we will all know if "Britain is still great"..

Have as calm and enjoyable a Saturday as you can everyone

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

The weather went rapidly downhill from mid-afternoon, but we've not really had much more than a light drizzle so far, and no thunder. It does seem unusually warm outdoors, although only about 16 degrees, really. And there is a bit of brightness here and there in the sky.

Must look out for the model warfare thread that Ian Abel has endured. Just like football fans, myopic rhetoric is a way of life for a minority on here. My team is better than your team - and that's that. Some do need to get a life, as they say.

A call to MiL - a Wren at Portscatho, radar-detecting E-boats in the big conflict - and some shopping are the agenda items today.

Hope your weekend goes well and you stay dry and safe.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Excellent dinner at a resto in St Hilaire last evening, where they had used Bing to tranlate the menu for us English, with hilarious results. Still wondering over the 'foie gras (cod) in apples'. I'll put some pictures up later, .....

Aditi would have either smiled sweetly and asked for a menu in French or instructed me to take one off another table. 

• Like 1