The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The exact opposite. SWMBO kept touching my head while we were touring Köln Cathedral to make sure I wasn't about to burst into flames. :jester:  

I have been known to walk on water at times. Winter time to be exact.

I've been know to change wine into water on many occasions - "piece of p*i*ss" :jester:

Late on parade again today and would like to start by sending my condolences and sympathies to Neil - there are no other words I can say on such a tragic event but my thoughts are with you.

Neil's news certainly put things into perspective - suddenly a broken fridge freezer and its spoiled contents do not seem so bad. Yes the fridge freezer has given up the ghost and its entire contents have had to be thrown away. After work we raced off to Currys to invest in a replacement before partaking in a "healthy" McDonalds tea much to my daughter's delight.

Work has been ok today - I managed to make progress on the photo book and things are progressing well. I have been given some food for thought. The new head teacher is wondering whether any of the staff would consider training to be the school's SENCO (Special Education Needs Co-ordinator). This involves a University course with credits towards a masters degree and would result in more in the pay packet. One member of staff has told me I should go for it, but at present I am not sure I want the extra work. Decisions, decisions.

Sarah is off to her mum's tomorrow so I am home alone for a night or two at least, and with no fridge or freezer until Thursday. It's a good job my parents are only round the corner - I have been invited for tea tomorrow night.

Evening all,

Andy, I should think long and hard about the prospect of such a career advancement - when you get as old as I now am, you'll know what I mean when I talk of regret at opportunities missed. I'm sure you'll ultimately decide on what is best for you and your family.

TonyS, what a coincidence, I have got one of the same locos which, if anything is slightly older, and it hasn't been out of the box yet! Careful running in following a service will be called for I suspect!

Neil, I'm really pleased to hear that your management are being understanding and supportive. I regret, speaking from bitter experience, that Jayne is going to need all the help that you and your lovely lady can offer. Just when you are at your lowest ebb, you are required to complete all manner of formalities - very often dealing with unsympathetic characters. Nobody prepares for such an event. I wish you both the best of luck in the coming weeks and as a mark of respect, I propose to withdraw my thread within a thread on the TT.

Absolutely delighted with the response of the 'Early Risers', you know that you both have lots of shoulders to lean on!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Neil, I can only add my heartfelt sympathy to all that everyone else has said. Like many of us I suspect I know only too well what it's like to lose a dear friend particularly when it's so sudden and unexpected.

A very wet start here and once again rain, heavy at times, is forecast all day.

Somewhere in England (hopefully) there are parcels destined for the GB household but as yet they're not here so another day of waiting...........

Painter & decorator came to look at the outside of the house and there was much pursing of lips and head shaking and telling me what I already knew - most of which revolves around getting above our conservatory to reach the kitchen chimney stack at the rear of the house. I await his quote with interest (and some trepidation).

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Gentle rain, no breeze, didn't feel cold when I let Robbie have a run round the garden. 

No plans for today yet but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Tony

Morning All,

It is a nice sunny morning here, and set to get pretty hot by the afternoon.

It looks like it is going to be a busy day.  Testing this morning, and meetings this afternoon.

I hope that Debs Great Uncle is doing well, and that NHN is bearing up.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 3

Good morning all, 

Neil, I cant add anything to what has already been said.    

I did manage to get a bit more of the steam dummies roof done last night these are the last bits of the compound roof curves.  Now  as it's hump day I best get to work. 

Try to make the best of what life throws at you today.

Trev.

• Like 2

Morning folks. Having been woken up by the torrential rain and kept awake by the cat puking I thought I might as well get up. The good news is that I have only been up half an hour and already I have solved my major outstanding problem from yesterday. Which was actually pretty minor but yay for me anyway. Now I just hope it stops raining altogether before I spend the afternoon outside.

Hope your Great Uncle is doing better today Debs

• RMweb Gold

Morning, mixture of grey and blue clouds outside , haven't decided what I'm doing today will think about it over breakfast.

I notice Don Bradley hasn't posted since 6th May, have I missed something or are we still unsure as to why?

Enjoy the day folks

I notice Don Bradley hasn't posted since 6th May, have I missed something or are we still unsure as to why?

It was mentioned that he had computer problems a few days ago on 3-Word Game. I tried to PM Don but he doesn't accept mail. Hope he's all right and returns soon

Mal

Morning all, cloudy here at Borough Market junction, though the light drizzle Sidcup greeted me with this morning has cleared here.

Condolences to Neil - there's nothing I can add but my sympathy

Andy - speaking as a father whose youngest son benefits from a statement for 23 hours a week support and who goes to a school that provides him with fantastic support, I would say a strong SENCO in a school can set the tone and enhance the school, but a weak SENCO can do the opposite. My wife trawled the primary schools of Andrew's Boring Borough looking for a school for the youngest - we live more than 1/2 a mile from our nearest primary (which my eldest went to) and with the increase in birth rates, that's now too far away for him to be guaranteed a place. There was a great difference in the tones set by the SENCO (and that may be driven by the heads themselves) and the key difference to us was how flexible the SENCO was prepared to be in meeting out son's needs; as an example, the school which our eldest went to would not contemplate the youngest being at school full time until he was at least 5 and a term, and would not give him support at lunchtime - whereas actually he is quite capable of going to school and coping academically with reception work - but his needs include being prompted to do tasks (like eat his lunch) and having play modelled (ie social schools). And the flexibilty shown by his current school extends into other areas for other children too - ie they don't feel they have to always follow the proscribed method of teaching a child to do something of that way does not work; they've embraced his ability to read and allowed him to be a free reader rather than having to work his way through the reading levels (like other schools I know of) and extend this to other children too.

My overall impression is that being a SENCO is, even more than teaching generally, best done by someone with a calling and an interest in it.

I perhaps should add for balance that the school also has a unit for children with ASD and although my son is not in that unit, he benefits from the experience that gives to the school staff

I'm not a teacher and sorry if this sounds like a typical parent (after all, we all went to school, so we know!) but what's ER for if it's not for expressing opinions, and support!

• RMweb Premium

Condolences Neil on the loss of your colleague. When I retired I had a colleague who was due to retire at the same time, he was taken seriously ill only weeks before the retirement date and died the day before he was due to retire. Make the most of life you only get one chance.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Andyram - while I was never cut out to do your job, I also recognise that while the whole world has changed since I entered employment in 1966, certain things remain true, perhaps even more so in a changing culture. Then and now, the more strings to your bow, the more doors may open for you. If you feel you have an aptitude, go for the deal and see what happens. If it leads to greater job satisfaction and a few extra pennies, it's a no-brainer, while a masters degree must be a good objective for anyone in your calling, or indeed most others.

After a few dry days, with enough sun to be pleasant, the heavens opened last night, and it's still drizzling now. Friday is still forecast to be sunny and 26 degrees, so the lawns will love it all.

Enjoy midweek.

• Like 3

................. Work has been ok today - I managed to make progress on the photo book and things are progressing well. I have been given some food for thought. The new head teacher is wondering whether any of the staff would consider training to be the school's SENCO (Special Education Needs Co-ordinator). This involves a University course with credits towards a masters degree and would result in more in the pay packet. One member of staff has told me I should go for it, but at present I am not sure I want the extra work. Decisions, decisions..............................

If you can manage the extra time required for studying alongside your current teaching and family commitments (presumably your long awaited house move will have happened before then!) and feel you have empathy for children with special needs, then I would recommend that you put yourself forward for the role. Gaining a Master's can only enhance your CV and, if you intend to move up the promotion ladder, having SENCO experience will be an asset. I don't want to sound patronising, but, if you have to be interviewed for the post and/or the course, do consider mentioning the children at the other end of the scale - your gifted and talented pupils have special needs too! No doubt you would have thought of that!

Good luck!

• Like 4

Morning all. 

50 not out. 

The last couple of days of Ryvita (other forms of desicated nutritional dust are available), starting a 30 day Abs challenge and running alongside my daughter as she cycles I've shed a couple of lbs. Hoping to shed the beer belly by the time I hit the pool when we head off to the Highlands in a few weeks time. 

Last night my daughter finally conquered a dive (some form of backwards somersault) she'd been struggling with for months. The look of triumph on her face as she surfaced was a real treat. I believe part of the splash may have hit me in the eye. I think it also made her coach's day, too.

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 9