The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

One thing is for sure, it'll be a better view than the one I posted of myself last week! :sarcastichand:

:unsure: Ooh, I don`t know about that!

.......remember, It was the 70`s: overly-flared jeans and perms were 'in' (evidently). :blush:

• RMweb Premium

Another long phone call to Manila to try and sort out my phone bill.  Virgin Mobile owe me over £500 but don't seem able to communicate between the call centres in manila and Swansea.   I've now been waiting 6 weeks and am getting annoyed.   This morning I told them that I would post a record of every conversation that I have with them on facebook and Twitter so have just done that.    The two call centres claim not to be able to talk to each other which makes a joke of it being a communicatiosn company.  Isn't life wonderful. 

Rant over.

Meanwhile the weathers great, it's warm and I may well get to work on wiring a control panel having fixed the lid on last night.

Jamie

The weather was so good I even resurrected my trusty Ellis Briggs Bike from the garage and went out on it for the first time in over 2 years. (It's in my avatar but then I was 11,500' up at the top of Boreas Pass).  I surprised myself by doing 6.5 miles in 31 minutes, including a bit of climbing so will now gradually build up the mielage so that I can get to see the Tour De France in July.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

.......remember, It was the 70`s: overly-flared jeans and perms were 'in' (evidently). :blush:

I think you need to prove that, Debs. 

The public has spoken - we need the link! :)

• RMweb Gold

Nothing much of interest to report at present.

The weather is really good, and looks set to continue over the weekend.

I have been quiet for the last few days as i have been suffering with some back pain.

This was not caused by an over indulgence in cycle riding and weight lifting but something far more mundane.

In fact, to watch it must have been hilarious!

I was cleaning out the shower cubicle.  I was on my hands and knees rubbing the lower surfaces of the windows, as we have terrible limescale in these parts.

So in a slurry of mould and mildew remover, general surface cleaning materiel and limescale remover, I was being industrious!

I was also naked, as this seemed to be the sensible solution at the time.

However, your knees and elbows tend to skate on such a combination, and this I did all around the cubicle, in a welter of cleaning materiel bubbles and foam.

I finally ended up on my back,  boy, was I clean (and slippery) after that excursion.

When I said I put my back out because I was naked and on my hands and knees in the shower, it caused  much raucous laughter around the house accompanied by the shout:

'Dad dropped the soap again!' 

This Daniels chap has a lot to answer-for! :laugh:

Brian Daniel`s photograph is dated 3/3/79:

That`s me, having a quick safely-check on the blind-side, reversing back up from the fuel-road release headshunt at Birkenhead Mollington St. MPD.

......In defence of my half-uniform and brunette-perm; well. it was the 70`s (the decade that taste forgot!) :beee:

Mollington St. was unofficially open to enthusiasts/photographers at that time: as well as them roaming the depot {after asking permission of the duty-TCI} we (the shed-turn traincrews) would also often allow them to ride on the footplate when we were positioning locos before/after fueling......I bet many a railway-career was founded on such 'unofficial experience rides'. :locomotive:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

:unsure: Ooh, I don`t know about that!

I have a similar photo of myself (Without the perm) standing near IIRC a Ffestiniog locomotive wreathed in steam (both myself and the loco) the flared jeans were also a bright red colour. :O

I had several “crushed velvet” pants (trousers doesn’t sound right), one pair was Emerald Green (and multi-coloured boots too)......From late Sixties to early Seventies - in fact I went back to Levi’s 501 straight legs in 1972. I did have an office in Wardour Street, Soho at the time (and knew Jean Shrimpton’s sister Chrissie for a time).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

I had several “crushed velvet” pants (trousers doesn’t sound right), one pair was Emerald Green (and multi-coloured boots too)......From late Sixties to early Seventies - in fact I went back to Levi’s 501 straight legs in 1972. I did have an office in Wardour Street, Soho at the time.

Best, Pete.

"Mmmmmm! Nice! - I'm Julian and this is my friend, Sandy, Mr Horne! Just Bona!"

Needs a bit of polari , yes?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_and_Sandy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZL4rTEWU5c

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Yes, I wondered at the time why ER ticket collectors were always trying to pick me up...another nine bob note one was on the Southern end of the drain.

Good job I had some beautiful girlfriends at the time, not Chrissie however, unfortunately, I didn’t “know” her.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I wondered at the time why ER ticket collectors were always trying to pick me up...another nine bob note one was on the Southern end of the drain.

Good job I had some beautiful girlfriends at the time, not Chrissie however, unfortunately, I didn’t “know” her.

Best, Pete.

The nearest I ever got to crushed velvet was a definite crush on Sonia Kristina of Curved Air who appeared in a poster wearing a pair of them, and looking very attractive.  I did have the flared jeans though and even a brown pinstripe flared suit.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Afternoon all,  

Just had a busy day train riding in the careful of FGW....trains on time,  and remarkably clean (on the inside), though the outside weathering needs some improvement, just so inconsistent!  I mean  who weathers (with powders & stains)  the below solebar area and doesnt bother with the bogies?

Also saw a new "toy" for the Orange Army to play with passing through Swindon this afternoon. 

As Debs has posted her 'photo from the past,  I'll find some of me footplating ... for now though  one of me an awful lot earlier. (well the back of my head in 1958!)

Trev.

post-4282-0-34276600-1400173837.jpg

post-4282-0-96659800-1400174074.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

This Daniels chap has a lot to answer-for! :blush:

attachicon.gifBrian Daniels Flikr 25Mollingon St.jpg

Brian Daniel`s photograph is dated 3/3/79:

That`s me, having a quick safely-check on the blind-side, reversing back up from the fuel-road release headshunt at Birkenhead Mollington St. MPD. :O

......In defence of my half-uniform and brunette-perm; well. it was the 70`s (the decade that taste forgot!) :beee:

Mollington St. was unofficially open to enthusiasts/photographers at that time: as well as them roaming the depot {after asking permission of the duty-TCI} we (the shed-turn traincrews) would also often allow them to ride on the footplate when we were positioning locos before/after fueling......I bet many a railway-career was founded on such 'unofficial experience rides'. :locomotive:

Those Class 25 doorways are really short, aren't they?

Those Class 25 doorways are really short, aren't they?

That`s the 5' 14" issue again! :mosking: ........As a Miss too-tall; I had a permanent-wave hairdo and also semi-permanent noggin bruising! :yes:

Edited by Debs.

• RMweb Premium

Wow, the 70's..... I was there too unfortunately.  Brown pinstripe suit with flares - check.  Green crushed velvet jacket - check.  Beetlecrushers and loons - check!  oh dear, we thought we were so cool.

I get the feeling an autobiography of Debs would be one of the better books to read, a remarkable lady indeed.

... we thought we were so cool...

We weren't???? I can't even begin to believe the 60s-70s weren't the absolute coolest period of the last century!! Says the prat who had the pointiest winkle-pickers avalable :O We spent Saturday nights at the coffee shop listening to the STEREO juke box, which was definately the coolest music system ever made <doh>

That and all the garb I got either on the Kings Road or Carnaby street, I was definately cool :sungum: Then again my kids have seen the pictures and fall about the floor in fits of laughter at the sight of it, "you really did look a bit of a prat, Dad" is one of the glowing comments... especially since I also had hair down to my shoulders, now nonexistant :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

Oh dear/sod me/b*u**gg**e**r - help me out here, is this an "old" thing or what?? Truly a case of "of all the things I miss, I miss my mind the most??" :jester:

There is an exhibit at the Minneapolis Institue of Art of Matisse masterworks. We'd been informed of it's existance/arrival/presence as members, and as ALWAYS vowed to go see it - AT OUR EARLIEST CONVENIENCE. Usually we manage to wait until the last minute before scheduling it, but we were determined, NOT THIS TIME...

Mrs JUST realized/informed me it's DONE this weekend (been on since Feb. 23rd.) so in a mad panic we're headed there after work this evening (in TWO HOURS!!) otherwise we'd likely miss it <phew>.

Is it just US, or are all the "collective old farts of the world" also this screwed up? Mrs even had noted it several places on calendars/ToDo lists etc., but we kept skipping it and putting it off as we were always busy with other stuff, and we "still had plenty of time"  :O

I went to a Turner exhibition several days ago: somewhat disappointed to find the gallery was seriously underlit, evidently a condition of the Turner trustees: "to protect the works" {or so a sign announced}........."underlit" is my way of saying, so-gloomy as not to be able to see much of anything in the room (or even walk about): we`re talking blackout blinds and a single low-energy lamp pendant (for the whole gallery room!).  :umbrage:

Surely not beyond the wit of man, to be able to safely illuminate an art gallery exhibition so as to make it useable? :scratchhead:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 1

What a beautiful day with wall to wall sunshine. The SATs tests have now been completed and I just have to mark them all. The student's tutor visit went well too so all good. We even gave the kids an extended morning break today so they could see the Rolls Royce Spitfire fly past on its way to the Derby factory to wish the new Trent engine well.

Things not so good by the end of the day as I got moaned at for being late to a meeting after school. I would have been on time but the person running the meeting neglected to tell me that it was being held in her classroom and not the staffroom, hence my being at the opposite end of the school eating cake when they had already started.

With the head teacher retiring in July the meeting was to discuss plans for her leaving party etc. I have landed the job of compiling the "This is Your Life" book. Lucky me!

Sarah finally manage to speak to the relevant people at the building site. Our neighbours are moving in a week tomorrow which is the date we were originally given. Our new date is June 20th almost a month later! Just great!

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I comiserate.  Oour house was 5 months late when we moved here, we were effectively homeless after short term lets ran out as summer arrived, the BnB where we were was booked ahead fully and we were going to be in a tent!  The foreman took pity on us and pushed our house ahead.  It cost a lot of sweeties!  we were first in though!

• Like 7