The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just wondering if anyone else had spotted this magazine and 00 loco offer in Sainsburys?

It's basically £8.99 for a magazine with a 00, un-motorised locomotive attached. 

I'm no expert but was wondering if anyone had thought of putting a motor in and adding any missing details. 

I believe this month's loco is a 9F (?) in BR green? 

Uh-oh, think I may be up for a sequel award for not being aware of another "Most often posted thread on RMweb" award. :)

Anyway I opted instead to get a carpenter friend in Brittany that I'm having lunch with tomorrow a boxed set of British beer.... 

Ah, Andy, I think you must mean 'Great British Locomotives' under 'other magazines'.  It's only had 59,954 views and 804 replies though............................... :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold
ready for "Go!, Go!, Go!".

I'm still ready, and still no update, I reckon it's sneaked down to Brandon loop and is awaiting a forward path - if I put the kettle on that should force it to show it's hand - but it's looking like it's now going to be on time passing me.

• RMweb Gold

It's wet, it's grey, I've exercised today.

After weights and the ride, the house is warm inside.

I'd best give up with any more rhyming.........

However it interesting to note that water on the road does mean you expend a lot more energy trying to get a mountain bike moving.  A change of tyres may help in the short term but since my off road antics on a bicycle ceased some time back, I think I might have to invest in a machine more suitable for road work.

Another thing I've noticed is how user unfriendly cycle tracks are:  Whoever designs them has probably never ridden a bike, let alone used one of their designed routes.

As I crept into the house this morning via the side door, I noticed that the trackbed of the outdoor railway is now home to a growing family of weeds: Embarassing because the track hasn't been laid yet.  Perhaps I should model the abandoned line, and just scatter a couple of sleepers and random bits of rail along the edge of what should be the cess?  It would save a terrific amount of work!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Just to say thanks for the thought of not disturbing us - appreciated! We did manage to get out and visit friends to introduce VIP and that seemed to be very convivial. I know how to show a girl a good time, so in the afternoon we went to the recyc centre! While there I bumped into the horsey dentist, so he'll be rasping the dobbins' teeth next week.

Weather is crap here - hope Andy B's wedding event in the Loire, about an hour from here, is luckier this weekend.

Oh, and it's a holiday here. As I always point out, when you've been occupied for 4 years, peace means a bit more than when you've fought the bounders off successfully.......

• Like 1

Another thing I've noticed is how user unfriendly cycle tracks are:  Whoever designs them has probably never ridden a bike, let alone used one of their designed routes.

They've spent umpteen £millions on putting cycle tracks in the most silly places in this area.

I remember one with a telegraph pole in the centre of it.

The latest is a 50m stretch just before a narrow bridge at a cost of £3.5M.

The cyclists, of course, use the road.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I knew I would forget a memorable 1,2,3 today but courtesy of the BBC and some black cat supporters....

1. Beat the magpies....oh yes twice this season

2. Get to a cup final...achieved but we lost

3. Perform a miracle for Gus Poyet... Oh yes!

Well done to SAFC

And happy VE Day!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Seems like the rain is here for the day so there will definitely be no gardening. However I do have to collect The Boss from work and assist with shopping  (push trolley and "don't you dare put in anything that's not on the list") 

As if........snigger!

Had a good meal and a couple of pints last night with Steve and he spent some time sorting out a couple of (self inflicted) issues on my computer and everything seems fine. (for now) He did say to me "Dad - there are times it's better to ask me before you try to sort it out yourself" I suppose what he was politely saying was "Don't meddle with things you don't understand!"

Time to put the bins out and then make some more coffee so until later........

have a good one,

Bob.

Heavy rain here for the past couple of hours.

Got the return to work partially sorted - they're wanting me to do less than I want, so it's a sign they want me back fighting fit. Fortunately most of my work is dictated at my own pace - just have to have stuff ready for the next meeting. It will mainly concern the move to the new site in the centre of town, to be completed in July 2015. Anyone else want to count furniture with me?

Jock

Thanks for your good wishes - fortunately mine was caught early three years ago and the University's medical insurance caught the funding - so no waiting for me. It was decided this time last year what the course of treatment would be - hormones, then radiotherapy, then a TURP procedure (DO NOT Google this unless you want to make your eyes water!) and a good histology result. And now six weeks after the op three monthly checkups.

• RMweb Gold

66172 on the stone and 47805 on the engine move from Norwich to Crewe both photographed in heavy rain.

I use large food bags to keep the video cameras dry until the train approaches so they are fine, my still camera was in the car until the last minute - in fact there's only me that got waterlogged !

• RMweb Gold

In response to popular concerns that my avatar was a misrepresentation of a man my age, it has been updated. An approved pic, taken by my VIP, who had last night butchered cut my hair (ouch!) has now replaced it. [There are, I'm suddenly informed, urges to further use the scissors elsewhere. A role as a soprano beckons.] 66 this year, I shouldn't complain.

Tech details : Nikon Df, with 85mm f1.8 lens.

• Like 11

Now Ian's new avatar's a shock - nearly fell off me chair!  :jester:

Uh-oh. Seen this before.... 

Girl 1; "How's the new chap working out?"

Girl 2: "Haven't finished yet." 

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, missed a couple of days this week but back in time to see Ian's new avatar!

Unlike Ian Ive not had a VIP visiting just 1.5 tons of hardwood logs tipped on the drive. These were offered to me at a very good price however I didn't realise just how many logs made up 1.5 tons!

My back can now inform my brain next time I consider such a purchase. So it was  out with the wheelbarrow taking them round the back and stacking.

If a Siberian winter happens then I will be warm as toast with no danger of running out of logs!

Talking of the weather its seems a 72 hour period of heavy rain and gales are due, hmm driving to Thornham in Norfolk on Saturday or sailing down maybe? Spending some time visiting friends hopefully I will get to the visit the North Norfolk Railway, if I manage this and get a decent couple of pics I will post them next week.

Enjoy whats left of this grey day.

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to say

I never fully understood how to tell the difference between male and female birds. I always thought it had to be determined biologically or by medical examination by experts.

Until now.

Below are two birds. Study them closely. See if you can determine which of the two is the female.

It CAN be done! Even by one with limited bird watching skills!

post-1781-0-27249400-1399557412.gif

Morning all

Just to say thanks for the thought of not disturbing us - appreciated! We did manage to get out and visit friends to introduce VIP and that seemed to be very convivial. I know how to show a girl a good time, so in the afternoon we went to the recyc centre! While there I bumped into the horsey dentist, so he'll be rasping the dobbins' teeth next week.

Weather is crap here - hope Andy B's wedding event in the Loire, about an hour from here, is luckier this weekend.

Oh, and it's a holiday here. As I always point out, when you've been occupied for 4 years, peace means a bit more than when you've fought the bounders off successfully.......

Was one of the visits a case of “Don’t cry for me ardent cleaner....”?

Should I say: grabs hat, coat and leaves by stage door?

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Unlike Ian Ive not had a VIP visiting just 1.5 tons of hardwood logs tipped on the drive. These were offered to me at a very good price however I didn't realise just how many logs made up 1.5 tons!

Most of my logs for the woodburner come off the beach.  Seeing me strolling down the beach one day with three foot felling axe in hand, a friend remarked how no-one came near me!  He then commented that wood off the beach was good value as I was pretty warm collecting it, then would get warm again cutting and chopping it, and would finally get warm a thired time when I burned it!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your good wishes - fortunately mine was caught early three years ago and the University's medical insurance caught the funding - so no waiting for me. It was decided this time last year what the course of treatment would be - hormones, then radiotherapy, then a TURP procedure (DO NOT Google this unless you want to make your eyes water!) and a good histology result. And now six weeks after the op three monthly checkups.

Despite your warnings I just had to Google it! :O