The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Happy Bank Holiday all! Don't be too hard on yourself Andyram regarding your ATM incident, you're not the only one as I've done it myself although it was £20, hopefully the bank will give it back!

My birthday today and with the extra cash donated by friends and family in my cards, Mrs CC are heading out for a nice lunch today, probably to a fab Japanese place we know! First time eating out this year because of the work situation so really looking forward to it! On the work front though, I have an interview tomorrow! Short term contract as a Project Co-ordinator for the Commonwealth games but it's a start!

Onwards and Upwards

G

Morning all from a sunny but mostly boring borough. Spend yesterday helping SWMBO perform a deep clean/disinfect of the greenhouse. Also used the opportunity of having it empty to get the roller shade blinds installed. Finally. The BBQ is getting a workout with all this nice weather as well.

I've hidden the honey do list, and hope I can get a few hours in the shed finishing off some rewiring before she finds it and assigns me something to do.

Have a good one.

addendum: missed this the first time. Happy Birthday CC!

Edited by AndrewC

Today's plan was to help No 1 son to install loft insulation in his new house in St Neots, but woke up with a stiff back (not unusual, unfortunately) so I may have to just supervise him instead!

Don't know what has gone wrong here in Clacton - sunshine on a Bank Holiday? We get inundated with day trippers on such a day and so the intention is to leave the car on the drive! The lawn (?) really is looking a mess and so that and a doggie walk will probably be enough to tire me out. I have to add my congratulations to 'grandadbob's post : I'm sure that many of us wish you a happy birthday and a happier year ahead George. Good luck tomorrow, we'll be thinking of you! Ian (Olddudders) - is D-day getting closer? Have a great day all. I shall report back later if the arm still works!!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

nice sunny start and the rain is not promised until middle of the night so fingers are crossed for the May Fair (the posters say 'fair' but it might be a 'fayre' - we'll no doubt find out at some stage later today - if we know the difference between such terms that is??).  Anyway the promised weather should help, if anything can, with yesterday's other garden effort which was to plant some twigs of lilac in the hope that they will grow; the last one I did is going quite well and flowering nicely so fingers are crossed for these and it will be interesting to compare the results of the two different planting methods we have used.

Interesting too is what a simple illustrated post on here can do to add to one's impression of the organisation of a small railway - not only a very neatly turned out Guard but running with a Responsible Officer in place, would that some others would adopt such a culture for an identified person in charge.

Anyway back to more social things and fingers crossed for CC's interview as well as birthday greetings.

Have an enjoyable day one & all and commiserations to those returning to daily toil tomorrow.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about Andy's unfortunate ATM experience. I did that once myself. Normally didn't ask for a receipt and when I did picked it up, got the card back and walked off having done the requisite "two actions" I associated with the process.  

On a lighter note, perhaps, in my student days I had a room mate from Yorkshire. 

He got a £5 note out of the ATM one day and for some reason couldn't find it when he came to spend it later.

Concluding that he must have left it in the machine he hot-footed it back to the bank.

Yorkshire lad: "Miss, MISS! Has anyone handed in a £5 note?"

Bank clerk: "Could you describe it?"

Yorkshire lad: "It were rather blue and crispy."

Anyway I applaud your honesty and as an American colleague of mine once said..."What goes around comes around". I'm sure you'll win the lottery some day. :)

• Like 1

Morning all (late morning). Apologies for not commenting on or "liking", "agreeing" etc with the last few days worth of posts (several pages, if I'm beginning to know ER)...

We have an appointment with an estate agent in a couple of months and I'm currently surrounded by over 100 sheets of plasterboard, a pallet of 25kg plaster sacks, sand, cement, 8 door frames and doors, 500 ceramic tiles and 2 complete bathroom suites and that's not the half of it... Like an Airfix kit, they're all in their component parts and need assembling by an entire army of just me. I may be some time...

I had an idea last night that torching the place and filling out an insurance claim form would be easier... Joking of course... :nono:

I hope the tail end of the bank holiday weekend finds you all well. The weather here in Norf Norfolk right now is glorious and warm. I might sneak out for a pint later. Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all (late morning). Apologies for not commenting on or "liking", "agreeing" etc with the last few days worth of posts (several pages, if I'm beginning to know ER)...

We have an appointment with an estate agent in a couple of months and I'm currently surrounded by over 100 sheets of plasterboard, a pallet of 25kg plaster sacks, sand, cement, 8 door frames and doors, 500 ceramic tiles and 2 complete bathroom suites and that's not the half of it... Like an Airfix kit, they're all in their component parts and need assembling by an entire army of just me. I may be some time...

I had an idea last night that torching the place and filling out an insurance claim form would be easier... Joking of course... :nono:

I hope the tail end of the bank holiday weekend finds you all well. The weather here in Norf Norfolk right now is glorious and warm. I might sneak out for a pint later. Pete.

I dunno about torching the place - teaching the wife and children how to lay on plaster might be a useful starting point .

PS shame you're a way away from here or I could send round the good Doctor, she's ace with a concrete mixer ;) 

• Like 5

Happy Bank Holiday to everyone!

I am back in the office, as we had our day off on the 1st May - I didn't make it on first thing though, because I took the little guy to have his dressing changed, and the stitches out.  The good news is that the finger is healing nicely.

We managed to get quite a lot done over the weekend.  Both in the garden, and tidying the cellar.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 5

I dunno about torching the place - teaching the wife and children how to lay on plaster might be a useful starting point .

Tried that, gave it up as a lost cause... in fairness, they're pretty good with emulsion and a roller!

PS shame you're a way away from here or I could send round the good Doctor, she's ace with a concrete mixer ;)

I'm on reasonably good terms with my own mixer thankfully... below is the back of the house as bought with rotten windows and big clumps of render falling off, render removed and finally re-rendered and painted with new windows. Inside on the top floor is pretty much all that's left to do but as you can see, no plaster on the walls and no ceilings either...

If anyone's in Sheringham in the very near future, bring old clothes and a trowel... :whistle:

post-17811-0-64681500-1399285809.jpg

post-17811-0-85978200-1399285817.jpg

• Like 13

Hi 'LifeboatMan', wish I was young enough to start such a project! Did one in Cornwall in my thirties but sadly couldn't cope now. What you have done so far looks very classy and it would be nice if you shared a full set of pics. when near completion. It is after all a 12inch to the foot model!! Keep up the good work and above all, be safe - dangerous places these sites!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Morning all...

Toddled down to SiL's in Selsey yesterday, but was amazed at the number of Ferrari's and other exotica on the A3 yesterday mid morning.  Seems their owners had all been enjoying a full English breakfast.  

Wish I'd known as I would have gone to see some of the auto world's finest.

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/breakfast-club/breakfast-club.aspx

Thanks for the heads-up Gordon. I've registered and should be taking the Midget to "soft-top Sunday" on the 1st of June.

Ed

• Like 1

Morning all. Too little sleep, so only physically present, it seems. Only part of a lesson to teach today due to an exam the class has to write, which is just as well...

Dom, when you say a "lesson", do you mean a whole day's teaching? I'm not sure what age/subjects you teach.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Dom, when you say a "lesson", do you mean a whole day's teaching? I'm not sure what age/subjects you teach.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm working at a secondary school - grammar school, to use the equivalent UK term. Traditionally, one lesson at German schools had 45 minutes, but for the past several years, secondary schools across Germany have begun switching to 90-minute lessons as the new standard. As education matters are within the responsibility of the individual German states, this changeover but is all but uniform. And even within the same state, there currently is a coexistence of schools having yet retained the traditional 45-minute interval, and those having changed to 90-minute intervals.

The idea behind switching to 90 minutes is that students need to pack fewer materials for each day and that more time per day is available for the scheduled subjects, reducing thematic breaks. However, I personally am not really decided as to which format is better as I keep having the impression of younger students (till about 5th or 6th grade) often being strained by having to work for 90 minutes.

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon.

Thanks for the supportive comments Stationmaster, we do take our railway very seriously.  We always have a responsible officer, we have a full and descriptive rule book written by a professional railwayman, and run the railway on staff and ticket. Train crews are dressed appropriately, even when they're not being graded that day! 

I'm shattered today, after lawn mowing and going to the tip with the cuttings my hips are screaming, so it's an afternoon sitting down.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Last one from yesterday - just completing the shunt first thing, pushing empty stock into the station with the battery-electric. 

Please note clean coaches, tidy platform, NHN scrubbed up, all ready for the day. 

We do take great pride in our little line, it may only be 2/3 of a mile long, but is run properly, safely and is a quite stunning ride up the glen to the sea.  We have to be on the ball as a good third of the line is on a gradient of 1 in 33, uphill to the sea, so trains need to be driven and braked with great care.

post-10195-0-25721400-1399297140.jpg

• Like 11

Hello, hello, hello, AGAIN. at last, after ten days down time.

The withdrawel symptoms were really very severe. WOT NO RMWEB?

Daytime TV is really abysmal!

I have not had time to read back 12 days worth of news, wit, humour, intelligent comment, insightful views and general deep thinking. Also missed any celebrations, tragic events or just plain ramblings so please forvive absence of comment, congratulations or comiserations from me.

The SUN is shining, but I am wearing FIVE layers of clothing as the temperature is only 18C at 3:40 in the afternoon. Can it be that Winter has crept in?

• Like 12

Hello, hello and hello again after ten days of down time.

The withdrawek symptoms were very severe after that stretch of "WOT NO RMWEB?"

No spontaneous wit, no clever humor, no deep insightful views, no drivel, no companionship from the Early Riser crew.

I have not had time to read all I have missed of celebrations, comiserations, news and views of you my Early Rising (and late r non-rising) friends.

Can Winter have crept in?

The Sun is shining in a clear blue sky, but I am wearing FIVE layers of clothes as the temperature has not risen beyong 18C at going on for four inthe afternoon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

18c - winter..... :jester:   Ah Don, you have much to be thankful for with the climate down there!  Glad to see you back, we have drivelled continuously in your absence!

15c here today and that counts as 'not bad' !!