The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

:mosking: It looks like "Flasher-Bob" (the incorrigible exhibitionist guard) managed to keep his job after the {latest} arrest! :laugh:

For the benefit of any newcomers to ERs there is absolutely no connection between me and that particular gentleman! :no:

• RMweb Gold

For the benefit of any newcomers to ERs there is absolutely no connection between me and that particular gentleman! :no:

I have travelled on a train with Grandadbob and I can provide character references if required.

My neighbour has just returned from a trip and brought me back a genuine Bakewell tart in return for feeding his fish.

The tart has a very rich, sweet and gooey centre but tending to a fatty exterior. 

I suspect having the whole of the tart may mean I have to loosen my trouser belt soon! 

attachicon.gifbakewell tart 001.JPG

:nono:  Oh, come on I know what you lot were thinking.   :angel:

Go to BAkewell and ask for a Bakewell Tart you get a certain sort of reply.

That looks like  a Bakewell Pudding - very, very different. And much tastier

The usual teaching load for a primary teacher is teaching 90% of the working week, with 10% (usual one afternoon per week) non contact time each week, although that seems to get eroded away at times!

In terms of hours worked I dread to think. I am usually in the classroom by 8am for setting up. The children are in at 9am - 3.30pm with an hour for lunch. Then I don't leave school until 5 - 5.30pm and will probably do another 2 - 3 hours per night.

Interesting - sounds rather similar to my son who is now in his third year teaching. Add a couple of hours at the weekend when he often goes in to prep for the coming week and it matches up... he's dedicated and loves the job, but what amazes me is that we as a world community value teachers/teaching so little that for all the hours you folks put in you still do it whilst getting paid crap into the bargain! <sigh> that's just not right!

...Can't help wondering if 'Ian Abel' managed to trap himself in a corner with the varnish? - sort of thing I'd probably do - we'll find out in tonight's episode...

Jock (wasn't a "tonights episode" as we were too b*u*gg*e*red to do much but fall into bed!) - been there DONE THAT, so we avoided it this time. We DID however manage to leave the lid to the gallon of finish on the counter in the middle of the kitchen, AND what we'd planned for dinner in the frig. (far side of kitchen!!) Oh well, another trip to the store for something to eat :)

Welcome Andy - you think some of the UK folks post "late"... being in the US mid-west (-6 GMT) my ER postings come around early tea your time, so take heart, I usually post between 8-9AM my time ;)

Boring weather report - still bloody raining 6 and cloudy, light rain now at least, we go about 2 inches yesterday and expected to rain all week!

Kitchen floor needs a final coat of finish, probably late afternoon after work, or tomorrow if we decide to take a day off. Bob (local feline family member for those new to ER) is definately NOT happy with the smell and feel of the new floor finish, and has taken to leaping onto the island counter-top and refuses to budge without a HUGE push which he complains bitterly about! The smell will dissipate in another 12 hours, so hopefully he'll "get over it".

Work, work, work, enjoy the day everyone...

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Morning Polly, I thought this was supposed to be for Early Risers, well your post shows 10.10 which in real terms is 11.10 so what do you call early, (Now looking for crash helmet for next time we meet up).

As I said its certainly different, almost a page and a half since I posted on here this morning and I'm still wadeing through.

Glad you had a good show, I went to Sutton Coldfield on Sunday for a couple of hours, (it was my Birthday so couldn't stay out to long, things planned). I have posted some pics on Nickwoods, Much Murkle which was way beyond expectations.

Catch up again soon. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

Yes, Andy, for Early Risers - there's usually someone not long up and about.  :lazy: :bye:

So hello to those starting their day.  :D   Have a good one.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Andy, for Early Risers - there's usually someone not long up and about.  :lazy: :bye:

So hello to those starting their day.  :D   Have a good one.

Polly

I think  the very first incarnation of ER was for anyone up while Gordon was building a couple of sheds/stables before flying off from Heathrow or Dd  was up early to see if the local authorities were creating an overflow cemetery (for ramblers?) next to his house.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

I think  the very first incarnation of ER was for anyone up while Gordon was building a couple of sheds/stables before flying off from Heathrow or Dd  was up early to see if the local authorities were creating an overflow cemetery (for ramblers?) next to his house.

Those were the days, Tony.

I've had to fill in the bear traps and deactivate the other measures since then.

Been to Conway today so was able to put my riddle in some sort of perspective.

The Goods Crane is just off the path.

Two possibilities:

i) The Goods Yard has been absorbed and all that is left is the Crane.

ii) The Crane has been relocated.

If you can see the fence on the right, it is about 20 metres from the regular through track.

post-7041-0-71988100-1398697432.jpg

PS: I've included a Jackdaw on top of the crane for your added enjoyment.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 7

Two possibilities:

If you can see the fence on the right, it is about 20 metres from the regular through track.

attachicon.gifCraneC.jpg

How did you know his name was Jack?

I see Andy P has turned up! The self-styled "King of Bodgeit" should feel at home here..............

Nice to have another guitarist, if only of the four string variety. Just kidding, Andy.

I stumbled over Tab Benoit yesterday - a most excellent  guitar player in the blues idiom....

And, yes, one day I’ll make the SWAG slug fest too before I kick anything (could be a bit smelly if it was after).

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

I see Andy P has turned up! The self-styled "King of Bodgeit" should feel at home here..............

Nice to have another guitarist, if only of the four string variety. Just kidding, Andy.

I stumbled over Tab Benoit yesterday - a most excellent  guitar player in the blues idiom....

And, yes, one day I’ll make the SWAG slug fest too before I kick anything (could be a bit smelly if it was after).

Best, Pete.

Cheers Pete, I did play 6 as well when I was doing my Hank M impersonations in Stratagy, (playing Strats, and a bit on the agy side).

I will have to look up Tab Benoit, lately I been listening to The Temperance Movement (good rocky blues) as they've been on Planet Rock a lot, and of course Joe Bonamassa.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all...

Late on duty as I have been rubbing down and glossing the woodwork in the dining room, followed by grass cutting, washing and ironing..... through in a bit of hoovering and her indoors wonders why i am aggrieved by her saying .. what have you been up to today(!)

Her last school today ( of 4) is a RC primary school in Leeds - the pupils and teachers were shocked by other events at one of the RC High Schools today. She managed to keep them busy in music to take their mind off things.

Tomorrow includes dentist visit and a return bout  to see Sister Drac.... I have a list of questions to which I need answers....

Have a good day for those of you just getting up and a nice evening/night for everyone else.

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Two possibilities:

If that wall in the background is an underpass/walkway then it looks like it is in the original position according to that link I posted earlier.

Edit: I only had a brief visit and don't really remember but checking google satellite view, it looks like the same walkway so suggests that the crane is in its original position.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

Rabbit stew now simmering, but I suspect I'll wait until tomorrow to partake. Label on the rabbit packaging said "Recipe on reverse" and so it was. It suggested I needed all sorts of things - like crème fraiche - that no-one would have in the cupboard, so that was that. I do resent the idea that meals need to be planned to that extent, and obviously you wouldn't unwrap the meat until ready to cook it! So a more basic stew will have to do - garlic, onions, mushrooms, spuds, peeled tomatoes and red wine.

I have mentally booked next year at RMweb Taunton. I also texted next week's VIP, who seems to think it a very good idea if she came along. The fact that she then admitted to having had a couple of Pernods is irrelevant, of course....

• Like 2

Evening all.  Been over Mike's way today with a summer league match against Badgemore Park in Henley.  I had a vague recollection George Harrison lived there, but was surprised to find his place just down the road.  Whilst surfing this evening to find out a bit more about Friar Park, I stumbled across this on Youtube with the three remaining Beatles jamming in George's studio.  Having grown up with the Beatles, it's a long way from their music of the 60's, but quite nostalgic just the same..

Big house to live in.  Apparently his wife Olivia still lives there.  Must rattle around a bit in a 120 room mansion...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Friar+Park/@51.5397195,-0.9130653,652m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x48768fbb238252bb:0xd64d43ecc04ffd10

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Two possibilities:

attachicon.gifCraneC.jpg

We passed the crane on our return from the Liverpool MRE (Not quick enough for the photo! Drats!) which was quite uncanny as cranes were my focus at the show since I was looking for something suitable for Camel Quay's quay.

Must admit, they don't answer the riddle of Conwy castle.

Eskmuir

post-14049-0-10448200-1398712615.jpg

post-14049-0-82901000-1398712783.jpg

Llanfair Caereinion

post-14049-0-99281900-1398712799.jpg

post-14049-0-84140700-1398712834.jpg

Oswaldtwistle Town

post-14049-0-27147700-1398712871.jpg

Can't beat DD's pic, though.  Nice one!

Polly

• Like 11

Well a good evening to everyone on here. Firstly a few replies!

Interesting - sounds rather similar to my son who is now in his third year teaching. Add a couple of hours at the weekend when he often goes in to prep for the coming week and it matches up... he's dedicated and loves the job, but what amazes me is that we as a world community value teachers/teaching so little that for all the hours you folks put in you still do it whilst getting paid crap into the bargain! <sigh> that's just not right!

Yes I forgot to mention the hours at the weekend. It usually leaves Sarah fuming when I am sat on the laptop beavering away when she wants to make the most of a family weekend. I can easily put in three hours on a Saturday when the Rams are away. Amazing that society still values teachers so little and whilst the pay is ok compared to many professions, if you compare the pay to the hours actually worked......

Thanks, Andy!

Does one period also amount to 45 minutes at British schools? German schools have been gravitating towards 90-minute double periods for several years, though this transition is far from being uniform.

One lesson generally equals 1 hour. No double sessions in primary schools!

Thank you Ian, You are most generous in your praise of my constant coc* ups and re do's / mind changing Layouts.

With Kingsley I got excited about Third Rail then lost all enthusiasm due to well documented (On Kingsley) House move / not move issues.

The pace of posts on here is unbelievable and I'm surprised anyone has time for modelling in real terms, unless of course they employ a secretary and dictate whilst modeling, now there's a plan, hahha.

Anyway, come on here at Coffee Time and now its dam near Dinner Time, what a way to spend retirement, ahhah.   

And a warm welcome to Andy.P from a fellow new ER contributor. Always admire your layouts, especially Glen Roy!

And as for today,,,

Not a bad first day back considering I had an irate parent on the phone at 8.45. School hadn't even started back yet!! The meeting went well with the student this morning her planning is good enough for me to allow her to proceed into the teaching stage. She was very nervous bless her, but had no need to be.

After a morning out of the classroom it was nice to get back in the classroom this afternoon. Had an excellent time. I reckon we've got symmetry cracked today!!!! The children worked well too, you could hear a pin drop in the classroom today. A very enjoyable time.

After a long, but productive staff meeting I got home to find Amber at the door complete with a painting for me from playgroup and the greeting "I missed you Daddy!"

Amazingly after two weeks at home, where I have done no modelling or "playing",  I even managed to get a train running today on my Skaleby layout. This layout models a fictional preserved line and the usual pre-work departure was operated this morning with Jinty number 24 and a pair of suburban coaches. This returned from the fiddle yard after tea this evening with Amber watching. I also used the loco to shunt my Terrier into the small loco shed.

Finally, as a teacher, a few words of sadness for the poor teacher who was brutally stabbed to death at her school in Leeds today. There are just no words to describe such actions. My thoughts are with her family, friends and law abiding pupils. A sad loss to the profession!

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.  Been over Mike's way today with a summer league match against Badgemore Park in Henley.  I had a vague recollection George Harrison lived there, but was surprised to find his place just down the road.  Whilst surfing this evening to find out a bit more about Friar Park, I stumbled across this on Youtube with the three remaining Beatles jamming in George's studio.  Having grown up with the Beatles, it's a long way from their music of the 60's, but quite nostalgic just the same..

Big house to live in.  Apparently his wife Olivia still lives there.  Must rattle around a bit in a 120 room mansion...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Friar+Park/@51.5397195,-0.9130653,652m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x48768fbb238252bb:0xd64d43ecc04ffd10

Very interesting place Friar Park - I have a copy of the original guidebook (in its early years the grounds were open to visitors).  I understand GH did a lot of restoration work on the gardens but I don't know if he managed to recover and recreate the whole of the original layout - which was a whole series of gardens based on various themes, one of them included a scale model of the Matterhorn.

The razor wire which has been added round the boundary wall/fences led to a major ruckus between Olivia Harrison and former 'Likely Lad' Rodney Bewes who lives on a lane opposite one of the fences - and claimed his cat had been injured by the razor wire, kept the local 'paper going for a few weeks as they battled out.  The past also included a period during which the house was owned by an order of nuns and at one time they ran a boarding school for girls in the house the best known former pupil being Marianne Faithfull - who coukld well have been in one of the parties of convent girls walking down the nearby lane and about whom some of us in our younger years were inclined to make various jokes etc, etc.  

The school closed years before the nuns left and in the end there were less than a dozen nuns anyway - when their order sold Friar Park they bought a large house just round the corner from where we now live but they moved on from that some years ago when there were only a handful of them left.