The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

She may well stoop to conquer but I've got to stoop to do more ruddy skirting boards.

Should get to York show on Monday though. I have a long shopping list.

Enjoy whatever it is you are up to this weekend.

Good Friday mystery lunch turned out to be; Pickled fish, with potato salad and mixed green salad. A traditional Good Friday dish in South Africa though a very pleasant surprise!

I think the origins of pickled fish here, like many South African dishes, comes from slaves imported from Malaysia.

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Still sunny here and hope the weather is improving for our ER friends in the US after their protracted winter - particularly Ian A!

Here's some photos of Spring stuff to remind them....

I took this photo last weekend up in Shropshire - a lovely spot known as Carding Mill Valley

post-4299-0-21328300-1397828403.jpg

The other photo is closer to home, namely my back garden and shows the Juneberry (aka Serviceberry) which I planted last autumn.  The flowers have now set and I'm guessing in a month or two we'll see the berries develop. 

post-4299-0-31214500-1397828483.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good Friday mystery lunch turned out to be; Pickled fish, with potato salad and mixed green salad. A traditional Good Friday dish in South Africa though a very pleasant surprise!

I think the origins of pickled fish here, like many South African dishes, comes from slaves imported from Malaysia.

Pickling fish in Europe goes back a very long way - at least to Mediaeval times - so the idea might well have come from Dutch colonists?

• RMweb Gold

I think the Romans were partial to a bit of fish pickle.

"Good Friday" all - just another day in the US :) -2 when I awoke, fog/mist and clearing later, heading for 10!! We're expecting 19-21 for highs the next few days - gotta love the temperature/weather swings in the upper-midwest in spring.

Daughter arrived home last night, all ready for an Easter weekend - except she has her FAA class-1 medical this morning so has to get up and get going - for a change :)

I'm very new here so feel I exercise some caution when reviewing/responding in threads as I don't know the RM history, BUT, I have to concur with what appears to be the majority of ERs regarding the ad situation. They should thank Andy for starting this in the first place, and far as I understand it, it's whom ever currently owns it to run it how best works for them.

Frankly, unless "someone" has deep pockets and want's to be magnanimous "eternally", the fact of life is revenue from ads will keep a web site/forum running, alive and vibrant, more than a bunch of winging old farts who take and don't give back ever will - oh, and simply providing content isn't giving back, these things cost something to run! I see "some" ads, know how to block them if and when I want and need to, and if I was that outraged by them I'd walk away (note to the whiners - EVERYONE HAS THIS OPTION!!). They don't bother me, then again I live in the US and ads are a religion here <sigh>.

An alternative is for a whining philanthropist to pony up all the money and then they can sit smugly and say "see no more ads". So there, had my say. :jester:

• Like 5

Afternoon all,

Still sunny here and hope the weather is improving for our ER friends in the US after their protracted winter - particularly Ian A!

Here's some photos of Spring stuff to remind them....

I took this photo last weekend up in Shropshire - a lovely spot known as Carding Mill Valley

attachicon.gifCarding Mill Valley.JPG

The other photo is closer to home, namely my back garden and shows the Juneberry (aka Serviceberry) which I planted last autumn.  The flowers have now set and I'm guessing in a month or two we'll see the berries develop. 

attachicon.gifJuneberry.JPG

THAT'S IT - I'm getting on the next plane for a "flowered location" :)

Just kidding, that all looks soooo nice <sigh>, but our snow is nearly gone again, it's only on about 50% of the lawn now and they do promise it'll be gone by Sunday, they do, trust me, honest, no really...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Carding Mill Valley? I think I've ridden down it, on a horse called Tawny, in 1978. Our late friends, Donald and Pat Pearse, ran a sort of private riding stables in Church Stretton, and Deb was a favourite client. A decade later, Tawny passed her final years with us in Kent. Son Ian Pearse was a Bachmann rep for years, now fronts the UK operation of a US live-steam etc model manufacturer - NHN's sort of stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I did get a text reply from Matthew. I asked if he was going to Tallinn today and did he know he would be £368 overdrawn on Tuesday am due to his rent standing order? I then sent a text letting him know I had transferred (his) money into his current account. I suspect his banking app doesn't work if he has turned roaming data off on his phone.

Tony

The old adage about if you want to make a small fortune you need to start with a large one springs to mind

Laurence

PSThe debate about advertising not Tony and parenting!

Edited by laurenceb

Didn't their "pickle" or sauce morph into Lea & Perrin's "Worcestershire"????? I dunno where I got that in my mind but the ingredients are certainly similar.

Useless potential factoid for Good Friday.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pickled herring..or soused herring...a north east delicacy which I am not keen on...

Sun shining...lots of grockels in rhb getting in the way/parking badly/driving into the bay to have a look despite the road signs to the contrary....people watching can be hilarious!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm very new here so feel I exercise some caution when reviewing/responding in threads as I don't know the RM history, BUT, I have to concur with what appears to be the majority of ERs regarding the ad situation. They should thank Andy for starting this in the first place, and far as I understand it, it's whom ever currently owns it to run it how best works for them.

Frankly, unless "someone" has deep pockets and want's to be magnanimous "eternally", the fact of life is revenue from ads will keep a web site/forum running, alive and vibrant, more than a bunch of winging old farts who take and don't give back ever will - oh, and simply providing content isn't giving back, these things cost something to run! I see "some" ads, know how to block them if and when I want and need to, and if I was that outraged by them I'd walk away (note to the whiners - EVERYONE HAS THIS OPTION!!). They don't bother me, then again I live in the US and ads are a religion here <sigh>.

An alternative is for a whining philanthropist to pony up all the money and then they can sit smugly and say "see no more ads". So there, had my say. :jester:

Caution might have its advantages Ian but i don't think that there is any sort of ill-feeling anywhere on RMweb about reasoned views reasonably expressed even if others don't agree with you.

The history of RMwebb, and several round here go back much further than me, is relatively simple - Andy created it, Andy and his team of Mods run it and for a long time Andy plus donations from members and things like raffles etc financed it and every now and then Andy would put out the collecting bowl, always in a very nice way.  i doubt if every one who visits the site, or even all those who post, were regular financial contributors and some probably never put in any money at all but contributed in other ways (or not at all).

Eventually, after redundancy from his paid job, Andy simply couldn't keep the site going as he would have liked so sought a buyer and along came Warners (among others) and they have left control largely with Andy - we just see a few more posters from their organisation and a bit more about what they and their magazine are doing and really that is it.  Some things might have changed a bit more than is obvious because it has been a gradual process but in all honesty very little has changed since they took over other than the accessibility and technical reliability of the site improving by leaps & bounds because of the funding they have injected - all too easy for folk to forget that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning, Nice and sunny here, today will be spent at home away from the crowds preparing the study for redecoration tomorrow ie move everything out!

The "advert saga" is a good read with some melodrama in my opinion, why leave when you can block ads if they bother you that much?

Each to there own though

Still awaiting an ad for Russian or Thai Ladies to appear!

Have a good day

Last night there was a film on youtube of a Russian girl that would get me banned from RMweb if I flagged it up. Basically she was drunk out of her mind and ended up dancing on a table in the middle of a busy street, naked! :O  :swoon:  :blush:  

• RMweb Premium

Didn't their "pickle" or sauce morph into Lea & Perrin's "Worcestershire"????? I dunno where I got that in my mind but the ingredients are certainly similar.

Useless potential factoid for Good Friday.

Best, Pete.

It was called 'garum' and was fermented not pickled. Thats what comes from watching 'Time Team'.

Last night there was a film on youtube of a Russian girl that would get me banned from RMweb if I flagged it up. Basically she was drunk out of her mind and ended up dancing on a table in the middle of a busy street, naked! :O  :swoon:  :blush:  

That is disgraceful and you're right... it has no place on RMWeb!

You could always PM me a link... :secret:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
I hate to spoil Alan's day, but the Thai "ladies" that have been referred to are not only potentially easy in virtue, but may be - how can I put it - not made as other

Yes I witnessed a couple of errors of judgement in that area on a sales conference about 5 years ago from a couple of colleagues,whilst not partaking if you get my drift I must admit it's not that easy to tell with some of them lol!

Did provide some amusement to the rest of us!

• RMweb Premium

That is disgraceful and you're right... it has no place on RMWeb!

You could always PM me a link... :secret:

If I can find it again, I forgot to bookmark it  :banghead: Its probably been pulled by youtube by now anyway.

EDIT PS she did not have anything extra unlike the Thai 'girls' either. 

Edited by PhilJ W

Evening All,

The weather proved to be somewhat better than was suggested today.  Having said that, it is bright, but somewhat blustery.

I thought I would drop a few photos - I took them a couple of weeks ago while we were in Rüdesheim.  My Girlfriend had an appointment with the hairdresser who is doing her hair for the wedding, and she suggested I took my camera down to the railway line.  Who am I to argue with a suggestion like that?!?

The light wasn't the best - but there were one or two acceptable shots.

DSCF0588_zps7f1c935f.jpg

DSCF0591_zpsb47f4acb.jpg

DSCF0593_zps33ef4aac.jpg

DSCF0595_zpsae57c1d5.jpg

Edited by Robert
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

It was called 'garum' and was fermented not pickled. Thats what comes from watching 'Time Team'.

Indian pickles can rely on natural bacteria and ferment as an alternative to vinegar. Garam masala means hot spice so perhaps the Romans got their spicy pickle from India. I believe the fish sauce trade was probably the main reason for the Roman occupation of what is now Spain.

• RMweb Gold

My mother in law still makes weapons grade pickles. She has one of those dwarf lemon trees and made lemon pickle from the tiny fruit. What she describes as a mild flavour is pretty lethal.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Late call.....

Wow, what a busy day.  Early start to work on the camper van, removing a gas grill that is no use to man nor bacon, and replacing with a compact microwave.  Ever wish you hadn't started a job?  Anyway, due to a lot of bad Naval grade language it is all done, then I realised I hadn't removed the now redundant gas pipe.....which is behind the microwave.....*&^%%$£".  Managed to cut it into four parts with a little pipe cutter I have, but due to the awkwardness of reaching through cupboard backs my wrists now look as if I'm self harming.

So we went out on the bikes for a ride to recover, what a beautiful day it turned into, made our way via many windy lanes all the way south to Port Erin, where the beach was full and the cafes fuller...or more full.  Had a snack and wound our way home three hours later, looking in at a friend who is building a bike for Bonneville Speed week, he must have nerves of steel to ride this thing, I am sworn to secrecy about power outputs and expected speed, lets just say it is totally and utterly mad.  I saw the dyno curve for the engine, it's beserk. Ice enhanced intercooling.....really.

Mrs H now painting the spare room would you believe, as new wardrobes may arrive any moment.....well, not this weekend they won't but she likes to be prepared.