The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

So, here's a couple of examples of HR practice. 

Try to work out which is the real one. 

Example 1.

You are aware that your employer is making cuts and there's too many staff at your level. They have 2 people and only really can afford 1. 

They deliberate and make their choice and call you in for a chat, thank you for 25 years of service, offer you commiserations etc but basically break the news humanely.

Example 2.

You are aware that you employer is making cuts and there's too many staff at your level. They have 2 people and only really can afford 1.

You happen to take a few days off on sick leave - the first in 25 years of service.

Your mother happens to call you to wish you happy birthday. You get chatting and make her aware that your job may be on the line but nothing has been decided.  

Your mother, having read about your "retirement" in the newspapers says, "Sorry, son, but it has been decided." (Possibly better than bumping into someone in the High Street who tells you, but not by much.)

(Not me, I hasten to add, but a close relative.)

• RMweb Premium

So, here's a couple of examples of HR practice. 

Try to work out which is the real one. 

Example 1.

You are aware that your employer is making cuts and there's too many staff at your level. They have 2 people and only really can afford 1. 

They deliberate and make their choice and call you in for a chat, thank you for 25 years of service, offer you commiserations etc but basically break the news humanely.

Example 2.

You are aware that you employer is making cuts and there's too many staff at your level. They have 2 people and only really can afford 1.

You happen to take a few days off on sick leave - the first in 25 years of service.

Your mother happens to call you to wish you happy birthday. You get chatting and make her aware that your job may be on the line but nothing has been decided.  

Your mother, having read about your "retirement" in the newspapers says, "Sorry, son, but it has been decided." (Possibly better than bumping into someone in the High Street who tells you, but not by much.)

(Not me, I hasten to add, but a close relative.)

Nobody ever tells HR it has sacked so may that it needs to slim down do they? I am not a human resource I am a person etc etc

• RMweb Premium

Not available in the UK but I do have a supply of it. Works great. One spoon and you are too scared sh**less to ever cough again. Not helping the throat or the aches though. It also tends to burn a hole through my stomach. Best taken with a Zantac. Or better still, gargled and not swallowed. Most likely I've ended up with a secondary infection so it will be antibiotics for a week come Thursday. For those that have never experienced Buckley's, its like liquefied forest with a good dollop of camphor oil mixed in. Sort of like drinking Vicks Vapo-Rub with a pine tree and juniper chaser.

Syrup of figs is a good substitute, a good dose and you daren't cough. :jester:

Yawn...oh dear, managed to NOT get here until late in the day...

Ended up at the Emergency Room last night until after midnight! MiL managed to fall in her apartment Sunday, but didn't TELL ANYONE until yesterday evening, when she called Mrs and said she was in a lot of pain, took an AGE to extract the reason why <sigh>. So over we went, and she couldn't move out of her chair, although she'd been walking "some" during the day with her cane. Ended up having to call the ambulance to get her to the ER and spent a long time with X-rays etc., found nothing concrete, but kept in overnight for observation and more tests etc., today! Boy am I tired... never seems you can get out of an ER visit here in under 4-5 hours even if they admit you.

THink I fell asleep twice already onto my keyboard today!

OK it's +9 here going to be +11 later and expected +23 tomorrow. Nice and sunny out and very pleasant, actually spring-like :)

• RMweb Gold

Retinal tear my *rse!

The whole bl**dy thing is detaching!

Surgery on Friday, I'll spare you all the gory details(for now), with an 85% success rate.

The no surgery option is to lose the sight in the right eye completely, so I'm rather stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Currently on very light duties with a hot line number to ring in case it gets worse and then they go for the out of hours emergency option.

Apparently my plan to go down the boxing Club tonight to act as a sparring partner has been given the no no!

Still they didn't say I couldn't  do the Hippo thing of having a lie down, eat copious amounts of cake and chocolate and get slightly drunk on cider.

• RMweb Gold

Boy am I tired... never seems you can get out of an ER visit here in under 4-5 hours even if they admit you.

THink I fell asleep twice already onto my keyboard today!

I know what you mean Ian - I arrived about 5.45 this morning and I'm still here! :jester:

Seriously though I hope MiL is OK.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Richard, a friend had that procedure and she was absolutely fine after recovery - still is 30 years later.  Hope it goes well for you my friend.  Eat cake and be happy.

Work went mad this afternoon, a two gurl crime wave made for more jobs in a day than we usually get in two weeks!  I think it's a plot to get more out of me before I b*gger off.  Ruined the figures for next year probably - oh hang on, I won't be there....shame. Of course in central London this wouldn't even cause a lifted eyebrow, we are so used to low crime levels here it rattles cages when something like this happens.

Retinal tear my *rse!

Surgery on Friday, I'll spare you all the gory details(for now), with an 85% success rate.

Richard,

Had a retinal detachment over 20 years ago with no problems.

Did take about a year to settle down completely e.g. the bricks in brick walls looked a trifle wavy in that eye for a while.

Regards,

Dave

Retinal tear my *rse!

The no surgery option is to lose the sight in the right eye completely, so I'm rather stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Currently on very light duties with a hot line number to ring in case it gets worse and then they go for the out of hours emergency .....

Our eldest had an operation for that when she was eight! The hardest part was persuading her not to go racing around following surgery. She recovered well and since moving to Australia has had (unrelated) laser surgery to correct myopia and astigmatism.

What was really significant was that our regular optician identified the condition months before it was recognised at the Eye Hospital!

Good luck with your operation!

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start and fresh at 5oC - looks like being a cloudy day with some sunny spells but staying fairly cool.

Apart from being here a quite a lot yesterday I did get around to cleaning the self-cleaning oven (that doesn't) which took more time than it should. Today I'm thinking about washing the non self-cleaning car. Bearing in mind that I've successfully found many excuses not to do it for quite a while this may not happen so then what? Something to do with railway modelling perhaps?

Have a good one,

Undecided of Sutton.

• Like 3

Wishing you a successful procedure and a speedy recovery H Hippo.

High Mid Summer weather continues and is forecast to extend into the future.

It's HOT! A cool night registers 21C.

However I am managing to survive without much discomfort.

Funnily the worst is at Sunset when my room is oven like, but even at 10:00 pm it's still uncomfortable.

I should adopt nudity as my favoured dress code! :O 

Morning All,

It is a bright, sunny morning here - but a rather chilly 5°C.

A lot of us seem to be spending time in Hospitals at the moment.  Fingers crossed Richard, I hope the Op goes well.

Tea is currently brewing, then I had better get on with a few jobs that are waiting in my in tray!

Have a good one everybody...

Morning all,  

GF is excelling herself!  Found not one, not two but three rail museums in Omaha yesterday!  So my in -box is full of (train) photos this morning!  (Just one attached) 

The rains seem to have started with a vengeance too  several hours of them yesterday morning. At least they lay the dust if nothing else.

Have  the best hump day you can, 

Trev.

post-4282-0-20234000-1397022425.jpg

Edited by travelintrev
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, bright sunny day here but yesterday started like this too (eeyore moment).Not a lot to report here but I am counting down to Friday and holiday. I hope all goes well with the eye op Richard and you have a swift recovery. 

• Like 2

Bright, sunny, and forecast to be warmer today.

Won't last.

And today I will be trying to repair the headband magnifier that suffered as a consequence of being under the vice that I knocked from the workbench yesterday evening. That'll have to be done before I can abuse any more metal.

[EDIT] repair not possible. Metal can breathe a sign of relief as I'll have to wait for another set to arrive before I can see close enough to perform the abuse.

Edited by Coombe Barton

GF is excelling herself!  Found not one, not two but three rail museums in Omaha yesterday!  So my in -box is full of (train) photos this morning!  (Just one attached) 

I seem to recall seeing a Tv. documentary about an historic loco in Omaha being hauled (by road and not without great difficulty) up onto a hilltop for display.....Perhaps that`s the one?

Morning all. A sunny start to the day. 

Looking at the morning news and certainly without getting at all political I can't help wondering if "Bounty Road" was the best choice of constituency address. 

Anyway, more flight trials scheduled for today. Cellotape has been used to reinforce the fuselage where the wing attaches. It's lightweight construction so anything else would likely stop it flying. But that's not really the point, of course. When the children look back perhaps they'll remember the time their school holidays were spent with dad trying to get a plane to fly and playing with them. :)

The garage project has progressed to the stage of kitting out, or rather ordering up the parts to kit it out. I'm looking to get 4 or 5 kitchen-style units and put chipboard on top. 

I think I've found the most cost effective supplier. Or at least one that seemed to give me the dimensions and price before selling me the colour and style. But if anyone's got a better please idea let me know.  

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

EDIT: Just seen that minimum order value has to be £750, or that relates to delivery anyway. So, that may rule them out!

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Body in Leeds brain still in Dubai....

Had a great 4 weeks in the antipodes..got back to a lot of newly plastered walls and a jiggered laptop so no photo downloads yet..

Put on 4 lbs so the diet is back on.

Hope all goes well for those in need of medical support.

And when you have finished the car mine needs a wash please Grandadbob?

Try to have a great day everyone..

Confused baz...

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny here and also warmer than yesterday. I have been out to put the recycling out.

We are going over to Enfield today for lunch with MiL as she is keen to see Matthew.

Tony