The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Yes I had decided earlier when checking the motorway reports to go the pretty way, Chelmsford, A1, and possibly approach Leicester from the east if necessary from the A1.

It is a bit slower but quite a pleasant drive.

Off in a few minutes!

Its a bit late now I know, but the A14 takes you to J19 of the M1. An added bonus is that it follows the course IIRC of the old Kettering to Huntington line, the station at Thrapston is still intact, or was last time I used that route and is visible from the road.

• RMweb Gold

Its a bit late now I know, but the A14 takes you to J19 of the M1. An added bonus is that it follows the course IIRC of the old Kettering to Huntington line, the station at Thrapston is still intact, or was last time I used that route and is visible from the road.

I went via Chelmsford then what used to be the A130 to the A120, then M11, A14, and A6 into Leicester through Oadby. Matthew lives in Clarendon Park so I didn't have to go through Leicester city-centre. It was a quiet drive up, and only one scary moment on the way back just after the roadworks on the A14 near Cambridge. I was in the nearside lane doing about 70 and a small car overtakes me. It must have been going quite fast as it had caught up quite quickly. However as the driver passed she pulled in front of me and slowed very quickly before even completing the lane change. Matthew doesn't even drive and noted that he couldn't see the point of such a manoeuvre. Nissan Micra v Land Rover is not going to end well if they collide.

Tony

I went via Chelmsford then what used to be the A130 to the A120, then M11, A14, and A6 into Leicester through Oadby. Matthew lives in Clarendon Park so I didn't have to go through Leicester city-centre. It was a quiet drive up, and only one scary moment on the way back just after the roadworks on the A14 near Cambridge. I was in the nearside lane doing about 70 and a small car overtakes me. It must have been going quite fast as it had caught up quite quickly. However as the driver passed she pulled in front of me and slowed very quickly before even completing the lane change. Matthew doesn't even drive and noted that he couldn't see the point of such a manoeuvre. Nissan Micra v Land Rover is not going to end well if they collide.

Tony

That section of road outside Cambridge has been notorious for some time.... I hate driving along the A14 near there.

Best, Pete.

M'tinks dem is Horns, Mon!

Bloody great big (and loud) ones.............with anti - fly nets on.............

There's like a wall around the catenary system that seems to include heat exchangers that makes the loco look even taller. It's a very impressive piece of kit. I haven't seem one with catenary raised, yet.

Best, Pete.

Edit: Craig Z. has just posted a rear 3/4 view on the thread on this loco in the "USA and Canadian RailRoads" section. The catenary is at the rear. The front part of the roof appears to contain all the various radiators.

Edited by trisonic

Well, that took all day, but we now have a working motor/gearbox for a High Level 14xx working and running in.

Minor adjustments needed to the motor fixing to make it run rather than binding, but we now have something ready to power the chassis - when I've finished building it.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but feeling a bit fresher this morning at 6oC - should be a bright & breezy day with the chance of the occasional shower.

Missed posting yesterday but had a splendid weekend although I managed to put on 5lbs over the week which just shows how easy it goes back on!.

We did get a bit of bad news last night as one of our oldest friends had 2 small strokes over the weekend. She is OK at the moment in hospital and we're keeping our fingers crossed for a full recovery.

Not sure what I'm doing today apart from making another cup of tea in a moment so.......

have a good one,

Bob.

Did I mention approaching Winter a few days back. I was WRONG!

The long term forecast shows continuing HOT, clear weather with temps in the very high twenties and low thirties for as far as the forecast goes. If you want to develope a tan, come here. The UV radiation factor is HIGH. Bring plenty of Sun block.

• Like 2

Morning All,

It is a nice sunny morning here - with scattered cloud.

I have to walk over to the other building for a meeting later on, but that should be quite nice in this weather.

Time for a cup of tea!

Have a good day everyone...

Morning all,  not much to report from here at the moment.  Still hot and the wheel re-inventors still abound. Though they are starting to keep there mouths shut (in front of me anyway). 

Try and find something to smile at today, 

Trev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a bright but cold Heathrow.

Bacon but tie eaten (thank you Boeing Always!)

Flight was full of SAGA trippers...they ate and drank everything!

Have a great day

Baz

• Like 9

Rain.

Same here and most of it seems to be in my recycling bin after the lid blew off during the night.

My daughter is off to Cadbury World tomorrow with a Girl Guide trip. She needs to be dropped off at the guide hut for stupid o'clock tomorrow morning. I explained to her that as she knew where the guide hut was, she could make her own way there, and there would be no need to wake me on her way out. Kids. No sense of humour sometimes...

Have a good day whatever you're up to or wherever you're off to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, returned home around 00.35 which is a sign of light traffic both ways wound down with a cup of tea and went to bed. Promptly woken about 2.00 by a power cut turning all the alarms on then peace was restored then the power was cut again I think it happened three times in total but by then I had lost the will to live.... Nice bright sunny day now but it rained heavily in the night I could hear it when the alarms stopped. Best get on the sandwiches are not going to make themselves.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Finally caught up enough to post.

Cold but dry and occasionally sunny morning at the moment.

There are two DRS loco hauled moves booked off Norwich this morning and I'm currently watching for them to depart, the first is a DVT and 47 heading off for an overhaul and the second, I think, is DRS coaches with two 47s on it so it should be an interesting 90 mins if they both run however the DVT move was caped last week and there was no loco allocated to it an hour or so back, but the second, probably coaches, move has two 47s allocated to it so looking promising.

I must get 'round to posting more photos - time seems to come and go these days.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone.

Whilst I am not a frequent poster in ER, I am aware of the sometimes deep and ethical topics which are discussed on here.

To that end, I would appreciate any comments you might have on my slight dilemma, regarding my layout of Treamble and the bombing of Penhale Camp.

I have raised a topic in M M & M : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84419-penhale-camp-july-1940-an-ethical-dilemma/?p=1410791

Many thanks

Stu

• Like 2

Morning all,

A sunny day here today. Yesterday was rain all day and the children were confined to barracks doing indoor craft projects. Well, after they had helped me clean the house that is. My son seems to specialize in floor cleaning, although one has to moderate the amount of water he uses! My daughter did the damp dusting. 

We tried an Easter-related project later making Easter egg cradles using a balloon and yarn dipped in PVA which is then wound round the balloon and when dry you burst the balloon leaving a string Easter egg. 

In practice this didn't work out too well.

First the 50:50 glue & water combination didn't really stick the yarn to itself. 

Second we tried using hair spray to hold the yarn together. 

When we burst the balloon this seemed to simply deflate imploding the yarn cradle with it. 

I should add the idea is to put some wrapped chocolates in the balloon before inflating it, so that you end up with chocolates inside the string cradle. I guess this might have been possible if I'd melted the chocolate first. And this is pretty much what happened as I repeatedly tried to force wrapped chocolates into the neck of the balloon.

We settled for colouring in.

Anyway, have a nice day everyone. A load of paperwork to do here and then maybe investigate a toy given to us by some French friends - a model plane that is powered by compressed air.

Andy 

• Like 6

Hello everyone.

Whilst I am not a frequent poster in ER, I am aware of the sometimes deep and ethical topics which are discussed on here.

To that end, I would appreciate any comments you might have on my slight dilemma, regarding my layout of Treamble and the bombing of Penhale Camp.

I have raised a topic in M M & M : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84419-penhale-camp-july-1940-an-ethical-dilemma/?p=1410791

Many thanks

Stu

I'm sure that you will treat the project with respect, Stu.

Hard not to do so.

I don't think it is less respectful than a photograph of the period.

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Morning, a sunny start but traditional deluge promised later.

My Inspector who has been off for a few days has gone to tell the Chief Plod I'm leaving, that'll go down like a far........well, something unpopular.   'Bothered'....  :no:  :jester:  Oh to be a fly on the wall as who is writing this years annual report is discussed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Bright and breezy here. I haven't been out yet so I don't know how warm it is. My phone app informs me that it is 7C but feels like 2C.

Not sure what is planned for today. Matthew wants a rucksack that meets Ryanair carry-on so I said we can go to the  outdoor pursuits shop with my discount card and he can then push the trolley round Tesco for me as I'm sure we will be given a shopping list.

Tony

• Like 1