The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Good news from the home front - a parcel has arrived from Cornwall.

Less than good news from the home front - one of the cats has pee'd all over a pair of my shoes; Dr Station Cat believes that this is a sort on 'dirty protest' that the litter tray was not available for sir's use at the instant he required it.

Worrying news from the Arctic front - ship to (a lot smaller) ship transfer due to take place within the next hour, reportedly the gangplank has a handrail.

Oh, and it's snowed again, and again, no doubt the sea eagles will stay safely tucked up in their eyries if they have any more sense than us who are aiming to phot them.

This evening might allow time to investigate oif Svolvær has a chippy (we did see one in Bergen so you never know).

• Like 5

Andrew - right on the money here <sigh> that video could equally have been produced by/for Minnesotans ;)

+2 right now heading for -2 and NOW they are predicting 8-14 inches of snow overnight through mid-Friday! It's all a nightmare dream, I'll wake up in a minute! I WILL!!

Supposed to be "heavy/wet heart-attack shovelling" snow, so I'll be waiting for our snow/lawn service (bet he WISHES he was doing lawns already!!) to get rid of it all before venturing out tomorrow I suspect.

Don - ditto what everyone else is saying, please DO wear that button 24/7, we've finally got my MiL to do so after a couple of falls that could have been worse if we'd not been going over her place the day she fell...

All those suffering the sahara sands (reported in the Minneapolis paper even so it MUST be significant!!), also take care, injesting/inhaling airborne crap is also not to be taken lightly - stay safe out there everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully in the near future I will cease to belong to the landlord class and return to my rightful status as peasant class. It looks as if my brother has found a buyer for our mother's flat. After some years of no interest we suddenly have a rush of interest. 

I still haven't had lunch. I think I'm on the DCC diet as I like to finish a task before eating and have had another learning experience (more positive than "problem") today. I bought a Derby Lightweight DMU a year ago from the Bachmann returns stand. It worked in a straight line backwards and forwards in DC so I removed the bodies fitted the decoders, one 8pin, one 6pin and it set off nicely along the track until it came to a corner and something melted. Dismantling it completely showed some very dodgy connections and a new connection from the motor to track voltage. I think a bit of the PCB had vaporised too. If it had been a steam loco I would have ripped out the PCB and hard wired it but the lighting looked a bit complex so I remade the board with wire connections and high temp insulating tape. No chance of being bored in my retirement with this hobby!

Tony

• Like 5

My e-mail has suddenly unbunged and nearly 50 e-mails have arrived in one bunch - all timed the same.

The Safari plume has now arrived here again - with knobs on (quiet at the back)!

It's visible as a murky mist over the mountain and one or two villagers with breathing problems are already struggling.

I'm told we're in a red spot but don't know what that signifies.

"Can you tell the difference between 16.2mm and 16.5mm?" asks someone. Crikey.

0.3mm

Isn't the red the bit round the centre of the target DD :scared: :scared:

Don

Well it's certainly all around if we are the bull.

Was promised rain today but had very little.

I suppose that would have cleared it.

• RMweb Gold

Where it turns into an instant gooey mess that's abrasive if you wipe it..........

Yep, I remember that Saharan Crap.

Best, Pete, who owned several black cars in the UK....

currently sahara beige

post-12721-0-98744000-1396546188.jpg

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Sea eagles were interesting and rather magnificent although I don't think I got much in the way of decent pics - partly due to the snowstorm which enclosed our transhipping (there was a handrail) but interesting 'small boat' ride for all that, it had a navigation outfit that was almost as sophisticated & 'puterised as the kit on THV Patricia!  We didn't go through Trollfjord because of the avalanche risk (now there's something new, ship doesn't go there in case it gets caught be massive snowslide).  Duly came ashore in Svolvær with 2 hours to wait until dinner so went to a restaurant, a pizza joint run by Kurdish emigres, nice grub actually despite lashings of paprika.

Jiudging by some of the posts on here it looks like my car might be needing its second wash of the year, what a task to come home to and I hope Mrs Stationmaster's purple sprouting broccoli hasn't suffered from this sand stuff.

Have agood evening all, now to look at 'dudders doings in blighty.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My car is Santorini Black and is supposed to look like a black volcanic sand finish. It just looks grubby now. Aditi got me to wash the first lot of sand off her car as she was worried it might stain the lovely white paintwork (that is the white that shows through the sticky grime colour from driving along the non-Essex bits of the A13)

My superpower of tactfulness was required just now. We invited some distant relations of relations over to lunch in a couple of weeks. Nothing complicated. However MiL has decided to "help" and is trying to arrange menus, transport and wants to know Aditi's plans. As far as I know when Aditi was interrogated a couple of nights ago she told her mother she had no plans, it was weeks away. MiL used to organise dinner parties for her closest couple of hundred friends and doesn't seem to be able to cope with the thought of deciding a couple of days before. Until yesterday I thought it was only going to be 2 people coming but now it seems to be 9. Robbie will be ecstatic. He likes visitors!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Aditi just phoned to say she was on her way home and was pleased that I didn't tell her mother that we were thinking of doing an Irish themed lunch (not that we were, but I do remember eating rather well when I went to Ireland). Aditi said I should be tolerant as her mother has been home from her latest long-haul jaunt for a fortnight nearly and is obviously bored.

Tony

• Like 1

It's the Frogmore AA3 brake van - one side of A4 printed on an inkjet that's running out of ink, no drawing, no reference from instructions to fret diagram, instructions like 'fit the shutter to the centre window, arrow pointing up" - they're a poor fit and with no locating tabs and pretty difficult to get straight. What illustrations there are you can't see because of the striping.

Mind you, the Ratio toad kit I opened earlier is probably more flash than kit.

Back to it in the morning

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

Just back from a trip on puffing billy..no garratt today just the class a? Although there was a balwinesque 2-4-2T a la lyn running as well.

Used a myki card to travel up there on the train. Apart from our train changing destination in route (just swapped to another) with no warning till we had left Flinders St station all went well. Apparently a lot of ex BR people are out here.....say no more!!

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Light enough here to see that it is a somewhat grey day. The BBC forecast sounded encouraging though.

I'll be going shopping today, mainly vegetables.

Tony

• Like 1

Hello all. Thanks for concerns expressed and the warnings to wear my panic button 24/7 but will NOT wear it in bed. I will however carry it when venturing out of bed. Even previously I donned it with my shirt, even before trousers.

As a matter of interest there are push button intercoms connected to the Sisters office/treatment room in ALL rooms, including bedrooms(obviously)  toilets, showers, bath rooms etc. The problem of course is that they are situated at sitting/standing height.

Summer is returning; 23 today, 27 tomorrow and 31 on Sunday and then remaining in the vicinity of 30 for the rest of next week.

Nights are comfortable temperature at low teens.

In case you hadn't noticed it's FRIDAY!

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 2