The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Enjoyable day chasing Guardsman. Didn't get arrested once.

Statesman train tour T&T with 57s was an added bonus.

Only downside was getting stuck in the middle of a 'fizzy pink wine enthused, giggly jolly girls outing'....

...at 10:30 in the morning....

...... on a full Class142......

.... for an hour and a half.

Thankfully I had my noise cancelling headphones with me. They didn't half earn their keep.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Fusing factors, Andrew - but I can't recall what it is for a plug top, it's been 20 years!  1.5 or 2.5, something like that.

As for wanting the weather rather than F1, I'm afraid I can't agree - plenty other ways to get the weather - if it had been footie or snooker there wouldn't be any complaints I bet.

This afternoon I have been mostly overhauling the front brake caliper on Deb's BMW.  Twice.  First time all went well, bled it up, and tried it in the driveway only to have brake fluid squirting eveywhere.  On second strip down the new seal had been 'shaved' by the piston, despite plenty of brake grease.  Bl**dy Italian brakes....Brembo.  Mind you, the old BMW calipers were awful things too.  second attempt was fine, one set of pads ruined of course. 

Talking of Debs.....have't seen RMWeb Debs for a few days?

• RMweb Premium

Nhn only if its paid time.....

Off back to Wellington today. May get back on line later

But if not enjoy your day today and.....

PS be nice to motters he is an excellent cook..

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Dinner chez nous has been salmon with asparagus, rice and Green Sauce - or, as a Hessian would say, "Grie Soß." I was delighted when I found they were carrying Green Sauce herbs in the food section of one of the department stores!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Now finally not doing anything that hurts my brain or muscles.

There was much dusting the tops of cupboards earlier and then did lots of routine cleaning. I made a better temporary support for a wobbly fence post (mine) that my nice neighbour (the one with various concrete smashing tools) will do when he isn't working seven days a week.

Robbie was in a funny mood today and was utterly disobedient in the park, jumping over streams and ignoring me. Perhaps it was due to the high temperature (18C).

Back at home I decided to put a decoder in a Bachmann Jinty I'd bought cheap from Modelzone. Looked simple as it had a socket. I thought I would try one of Hattons budget decoders that I had purchased recently. Very odd response from the programmer. Equally odd response when I tried another decoder. The soldering to the motor looked poor so I redid that, then the loco made a whistling noise even without a decoder. Careful examination of the circuit board seemed to show that the suppression chokes were wired across the track connections with blobs of solder. I chucked the board away and hard wired it with an old TCS decoder. The Hattons decoder was fine, I tried it in another loco. I just did some therapeutic opening of boxes for the rest of my time modelling.

Tomorrow should be a relaxing day, as we are going to lunch with MiL at Aditi's sister's house in Enfield. 

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

seems DSLRs are still short of low light imagery potential...

Probably, like the vast majority of us, you have an APS-C sensor DSLR, with a format about 24 x 16mm. The best low-light sensors are the bigger "full format" 24 x 36mm variety. Looking at this list, http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings/List-view/Sports  which I have skewed to show the cameras in low-light capability order, the first APS-C camera is the Nikon D3300, in 26th place - and it is a brand new model. Note DxO Mark give the leading camera, the Nikon Df, a low-light value rather more than twice that of the D3300.

This clock shifting thing is OK I s'pose, but I've had a problem since some joker said to me, "Ah, but is it Spring Forward, Fall Back or is it Spring Back and Fall Forward......."

Bu&&rit! I still find meself confused.  Mind you that's not difficult at the best of times..............................

Oh, and if I've sown a seed that comes back to bite you in the Autumn....... that's good, it's nice to be in sane company.....................

Edited by Adams442T

Probably, like the vast majority of us, you have an APS-C sensor DSLR, with a format about 24 x 16mm. The best low-light sensors are the bigger "full format" 24 x 36mm variety. Looking at this list, http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings/List-view/Sports  which I have skewed to show the cameras in low-light capability order, the first APS-C camera is the Nikon D3300, in 26th place - and it is a brand new model. Note DxO Mark give the leading camera, the Nikon Df, a low-light value rather more than twice that of the D3300.

Dear Ian, I've always thought of you as a caring, sensitive, sort of chap so please, please, refrain from postings that make my head ache.  Especially after a particularly nice bottle of Bouches-Du-Rhone which accompanied a rib eye steak this evening.  I anticipated a headache in the morning, but now it's a certainty............. :fool:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris had a very elderly aunt who used to sit up until 2.00AM to adjust her clocks "because the man on the telly said that's when they should be changed"  She could never be convinced otherwise!

the 2am thing reminds me of 1980s clubbing nights in Plymouth. Before 24hr licenses the clubs were open till 2am. In spring they shut at 2 but kn fall, they moved the clocks back at 2 before they closed and we got an extra hour

• Like 2

Is that not the point at which you're officially 'old' - when the clocks go back, you look forward to the extra hour's sleep, instead of the extra hour in the club?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, not trusted radio controled clocks since the time I saw two side by side showing totaly diferent times!

Laurence

They have to be set up properly and reset after a battery change. On a couple of occasions the one in my kitchen has gone haywire, apparently due to a stray signal. On one particular occasion it set itself forward by about 3 hours, I reset it only for it to 'reset' itself and go back 3 hours. :banghead:

Are we now only 1 hour adrift? Can I expect to see life on ERs one hour earlier for the next six months?

Welcome to longer days. Our Sunrise to Sunset  today is 11hr 47 min.

May your Sunday be full of trains!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all - all morning!

Extra sleep a sign of growing old? I don't know. But this 24 year old could do with more than the 5 hours sleep he's had between shifts! That and I'll miss the Malaysian GP and the start of the BTCC season today.

Ho hum, that's what catchup tv is for!

jo

Edited by ewsjo

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Light now but it was still dark when I went down to make a cup of tea this morning. I adjusted a few clocks in the kitchen that don't automatically change.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

My body clock is confused.

It woke me at the same time that it always does ..... and it was an hour late.

How do I reset it?

t doesn't appear to be radio controlled and I lost the instructions years ago.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

:boast: Sir, present, Sir! :bye:

Been working 'overseas' this past week; not long arrived home and feeling very tired........Anon. :drag:

Ok Debs,

Lovely to have you back, now spill the beans.

Why were you in Liverpool?

Nosey folk need to know.

Dog fed, tea made and mother's day card and present waiting for the Obergrumpenfuher when she springs out of bed (as if)

I now await the start of the GP

Morning all

Bright and promise of warmth.

Set alarms for 8 to prepare us for the earlies tomorrow.

Forbidden from kitchen clearing duty (shouldn't be lifting yet) but otherwise functions slowly getting back to normal. Just seen the daily dwarfmorphosis from Grumpy to Happy when I feed her coffee.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry & 10oC already, forecast says it will be a warm but cloudy day with some hazy sunshine.

The only clock I had a problem with was the one on the new oven  :scratchhead: so ended up having to :rtfm: (how ridiculous is that?)

Have taken tea to Her Bossness who is looking forward to being spoilt by her children today. We're off to Steve's flat later where he is in charge of culinary arrangements with the assistance of his nephew & nieces. Between them they are apparently preparing a multi course meal for their respective Mums. (& Dads) There will be no dieting today!

Actually worked on the layout yesterday and finished ballasting the track at long last!  (I know - about bl##dy time)

Have a good one

Bob.

• Like 1

Actually worked on the layout yesterday and finished ballasting the track at long last!  (I know - about bl##dy time)

Have a good one

Bob.

post-17811-0-08788000-1396165260.jpg

In all seriousness, it's a thankless task and I have a little ballasting to look forward to soon - thank goodness it's only a 6ft board... Not my favourite job!

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

First to answer Pete's question it's just over 12 hours of dayøight at present but from today it will simply move to a later slot with sunset around 19.40ish judging by the time we saw it going down the other evening - when we passed some whales going in the opposite direction although not real whales but Killer Whales\Orca which are, I think, more of a dolphin than a whale.

Crossed to the Lofoten Islands yesterday evening and we went ashore in Svolvær in a snowstorm (well we are north of the Arctic Circle!) to look at something called 'Magic Ice' which was basically an old fish storage shed with lots of rather good ice carvings on display.  Currently heading towards Finnsnes, with Tromsø this afternoon where we are going on the guided tour of the 'Arctic Explorer Trail', seems that unless it changes we will have apppropriate weather following us around as we are still passing through snow showers and visibility is fairly limited.

Could Pete do me a big favour and post one of those rather handy NOAA weather charts here please?  The weather advice on the ship seems to be aimed at the 'dumb tourist' market and it is impossible to find a synoptic chart and the 'net is terribly slow so searching is very difficult so all we know is what it currently is and not what is forecast.  I'm presuming the snowfall is a result of one of the lows that has been crossing the Atlantic this week.

Have a good day folks.

• Like 3

Oh my Gawd, what have they done to F1!?

I've been aware of the changes, but this was the first time I have seen and heard them in action.  Where is the scream of the big V10's?  It sounds like F1 after the Noise Abatement Society got hold of it.  At this rate they'll be racing in libraries next...

That me probably done with F1.  In all honesty my interest was waning anyway, but this clinical silence is just about the last straw...

Oh well, life goes on.  Back to wiring up baseboards and the odd bit of golf.

Edited by gordon s

Mike, I cannot find pressure maps for the Barents Sea only the Bering. They may be secure.

I have found this that may help a little. http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/norway-sweden-finland.php?icao=ENHF

You're mostly staying close to shore right? I hope you are anyway, too much ice off shore...

If I come across something else today I'll post it.

Ah, here you go:

Pressure Map: http://www.uni-koeln.de/math-nat-fak/geomet/meteo/winfos/arcisoTTPPWW.gif

Should update itself.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic