The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I was watching BBC Spotlight (local news for South-West) yesterday and there was an interesting piece on possible re-opening of Tavistock-Okehampton. They are doing the Teign valley route tonight, I don't know if they have done/are going to do the Dawlish by-pass.

Ed

I would have put this on the Dawlish thread, but I'm still banned.

Edited by edcayton

Morning all.

A lovely sunny morning down here - pity I have a touch of the man flu, raised temperature all night, very restless and kept waking with a sore/dry throat - I think someone has a voodoo doll model of me and is poking it with pins as I keep getting aches in all sorts of places !

Have a good day all.

Me, too.

Who's doing it?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Another stonking morning.

Glad to hear Sherry's not guilty, unlike in her recent Murder Mystery, ISTR.

Yesterday I managed to get two fence posts in the ground, have mainly dug the hole for a third. The posts are half-rounds, about 10" diameter, and need to have a good couple of feet in the earth. The clay is good, solid and yellow at that depth! My back is surprisingly uncomplaining today, so I will sally forth a bit later to do some more. 4 posts will be needed in all, and then I need to work out how to attach the rails on my own. Haystring looks likely for holding in place while long nails are applied. This was all easier nearly a decade ago when we had a gang, and one was under 30 and very strong.

Great to see Tony S posting real modelling on here!

Hope midweek looks after you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

heyup all.

quick report form Murray Bridge..... flight was Ok except Dubai airport where they forgot to tell everyone which gate to go to to gt on the plane... doh!

Trip on the Overlander from Melbourne to MB was good - it rained but today has been sunny and warm.

Will report back later

Barry O

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Something that came up recently. If you put a cupboard in an empty room, do you increase the storage capacity?

Ed

Just think about the space needed to open the cupboard door.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Yesterday I managed to get two fence posts in the ground, have mainly dug the hole for a third. The posts are half-rounds, about 10" diameter, and need to have a good couple of feet in the earth. The clay is good, solid and yellow at that depth! My back is surprisingly uncomplaining today, so I will sally forth a bit later to do some more. 4 posts will be needed in all, and then I need to work out how to attach the rails on my own. Haystring looks likely for holding in place while long nails are applied. This was all easier nearly a decade ago when we had a gang, and one was under 30 and very strong.

Quick grab clamps are very helpful. I also find in quicker to use the screwdriver bit in my cordless (a 24v one) and decent screws that cut their way in. Otherwise holding the head of the sledgehammer against the post while hammering in from the otherside saves knocking the post out of line.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I remember once a govt minister coming down to our lab for a briefing. This turned into a bit of a fiasco as do many of the best laid plans of mice and men. The mice ruled our place.

The night before we were told to put chairs out for all the senior managers who wanted to be seen at the briefing.

The senior managers came along later and rearranged all the chairs...and the ship wasn't even sinking...yet. 

The arrangement was that said minister would arrive at the station and be met by one of our cars, driven up to the guard house where he would sweep through and arrive at the front door.

A couple of us were told to wait at the front door to keep an eye out and alert the senior managers...

Come the day of the visit another lot of managers turned up and with about 5 minutes to go decided to rearrange the room (back to how us junior chaps had first arranged it)...

The minister gets off the train and heads straight for a taxi rank, hails a cab and heads to the guard house.,,,whereupon he gets given a pass and directions to our lab.

The first we knew of this was when two of us were on lookout duty and the minister storms into the foyer, having found a side door to the office block.  

Taken aback a bit - knowing that chaos reigned upstairs where two sets of managers were now arguing about rearranging the chairs...and yes, now it did feel like water was lapping round our ankles....we tried to stall the minister whilst sending a runner up to the briefing room.

Now, he was a big bloke and had a reputation for not tolerating idiots. And stalling him wasn't really on the cards. So we concentrated on walking slowly through the building trying to buy time for the mice managers upstairs...of course this worked about as well as a chocolate fireguard and the minister's mood wasn't exactly good humoured having cottoned on!

"Just get me to the briefing!"

"Yes, minister"

Anyway, 20 minutes later we were meant to give him a tour of the lab and all the technology we had been working on. When it came to my turn he decided to have a go and started grilling me..."You shouldn't be working on that, you should be working on this..."

All I will say is that's when you know that the managers were indeed mice! Leap in and support you junior colleague...yeah, right!   

Edited by AndyB

Morning all

Good old bale string, how would we manage without it!

Laurence

• RMweb Premium

I remember once a govt minister coming down to our lab for a briefing. This turned into a bit of a fiasco as do many of the best laid plans of mice and men. The mice ruled our place.

The night before we were told to put chairs out for all the senior managers who wanted to be seen at the briefing.

The senior managers came along later and rearranged all the chairs...and the ship wasn't even sinking...yet. 

The arrangement was that said minister would arrive at the station and be met by one of our cars, driven up to the guard house where he would sweep through and arrive at the front door.

A couple of us were told to wait at the front door to keep an eye out and alert the senior managers...

Come the day of the visit another lot of managers turned up and with about 5 minutes to go decided to rearrange the room (back to how us junior chaps had first arranged it)...

The minister gets off the train and heads straight for a taxi rank, hails a cab and heads to the guard house.,,,whereupon he gets given a pass and directions to our lab.

The first we knew of this was when two of us were on lookout duty and the minister storms into the foyer, having found a side door to the office block.  

Taken aback a bit - knowing that chaos reigned upstairs where two sets of managers were now arguing about rearranging the chairs...and yes, now it did feel like water was lapping round our ankles....we tried to stall the minister whilst sending a runner up to the briefing room.

Now, he was a big bloke and had a reputation for not tolerating idiots. And stalling him wasn't really on the cards. So we concentrated on walking slowly through the building trying to buy time for the mice managers upstairs...of course this worked about as well as a chocolate fireguard and the minister's mood wasn't exactly good humoured having cottoned on!

"Just get me to the briefing!"

"Yes, minister"

Anyway, 20 minutes later we were meant to give him a tour of the lab and all the technology we had been working on. When it came to my turn he decided to have a go and started grilling me..."You shouldn't be working on that, you should be working on this..."

All I will say is that's when you know that the managers were indeed mice! Leap in and support you junior colleague...yeah, right!   

I would have directed the minister to the meeting room upstairs and enjoyed the entertainment. It sounds as if the minister was well aware of the mice and their actions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good old bale string, how would we manage without it!

Laurence

Sadly I now receive large round bales of hay, which have a sort of flimsy - but effective - netting around them. The old blue string is becoming a scarce resource!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright and sunny here but I can't see either Benfleet or Clay Cross - odd thing geography isn't it.  The answer to the space taken by the cupboard doors is simple - blow the bl**dy doors off! (why do cupboards have doors, interesting thought perhaps?)

Must download all yesterday's pics sometime, must take the good Doctor off to her 'good turn' work this afternoon (Riding For The Disabled), must replenish the ready use windscreen de-icer for the lad to use on his early starts when the frost is still about, like this morning.  Must get to the MRJ shop - oh what a complicated life, and these are all my priorities.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 1

Sadly I now receive large round bales of hay, which have a sort of flimsy - but effective - netting around them. The old blue string is becoming a scarce resource!

That netting is horrible stuff, a real pig to get out of the bale and on use for anything else.

Laurence

Morning all. Just back from the doctors with the good news that my chest x-ray last week revealed nothing untoward. Have also stopped coughing blood clots, so the antibiotics are working. I have a condition called bronchiectasis which means I produce more than usual amounts of phlegm so coughing is quite normal for me. When the blood appeared it was time to worry though. If any of you has a cough that persists for more than a few days I urge you to see your doctor. Don't do the "man thing" and put up with it until it clears up. Better safe than sorry.

Anyway, cheer up and have a great day.

• RMweb Gold

Yep . . .I think that topic is shelved . . .

Not so fast, huh? Suppose the cupboard is not very tall, and is wall mounted above head height. That way we haven't compromised floor space at all. Oh - bring your own ladder.

• Like 1

I have a brilliant idea!

Put the cupboard in another room to create more space.

If ERs remember my Bee Box adventures, I have an update.

After attacks by GS Woodpeckers and a thorough soaking by the elements I'd about given up on bee offspring.

Took the box into the Sun Room to dry out and so far have triplets.*

* Probably from different mothers.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 9

Something that came up recently. If you put a cupboard in an empty room, do you increase the storage capacity?

Ed

My thinking is that if you wanted to fill the room (with furniture, clothes, trains etc) the first thing to do would be to remove the cupboard, complete with its doors, to make more space.

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My thinking is that if you wanted to fill the room (with furniture, clothes, trains etc) the first thing to do would be to remove the cupboard, complete with its doors, to make more space.

Ed

About time they invented the TARDIS after all!