The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

One set  of Sweet Peas tied  in to the wigwam, the clematis tied in to the trellis. Cuppa then back out to plant another 21 Sweet Peas up the trellis. 

The Juneberry (aka Serviceberry) I planted last year is now showing signs of coming in to leaf. 61 English Bluebells have popped their heads above the bark mulch, too.  

Naga Jolokia I will make you germinate and bear fruit in time for my mate's retirement do chilli-con carne!  :ireful:  :devil:

• Like 1

We had a neighbour that gave me Rupert Annuals every Christmas until I was 16 - I was with Decca Records by then....

Best, Pete.

We had a neighbour that gave me Rupert Annuals every Christmas until I was 16 - I was with Decca Records by then....

Best, Pete.

Writing songs in rhyming couplets?????

Curses! I told them not to dress me like that..........

Best, Pete.

Rupert D. Bear was so cool...........even TIna Turner would`ve done much better in the charts had it been "Nutwood City Limits" :mosking:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One set  of Sweet Peas tied  in to the wigwam, the clematis tied in to the trellis. Cuppa then back out to plant another 21 Sweet Peas up the trellis. 

The Juneberry (aka Serviceberry) I planted last year is now showing signs of coming in to leaf. 61 English Bluebells have popped their heads above the bark mulch, too.  

Naga Jolokia I will make you germinate and bear fruit in time for my mate's retirement do chilli-con carne!  :ireful:  :devil:

I have always found chillies to be very slow to germinate - if they do at all.  Once going though they seem to do very well.  We have three very small ones as house plants and they fruit all winter on a window ledge.  Nothing like fresh chillies, so much better than dried.

• RMweb Premium

Best, Pete.

Yep, the dear old Christmas Annual from friends of the family.

Favourite story was the one that included the constellation Orion - not that I can remember it now. Just have vague images in my head.

And I stopped receiving them when I was about 12.

I tried to sway the old dear by telling her how much I loved the Eagle and the Beano...........didn't work, of course.

I'm convinced she did it to read them first. She was a Daily Express reader, back in the days when it was a decent newpaper.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

New Haven Neil, on 06 Mar 2014 - 07:56, said:

I have always found chillies to be very slow to germinate - if they do at all. Once going though they seem to do very well. We have three very small ones as house plants and they fruit all winter on a window ledge. Nothing like fresh chillies, so much better than dried.

Grow like weeds in New Jersey - once the bloody snow has gone...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Neil's post about a colleague's liking for strong tea reminded me of when I was a young secondman at a South London depot. There was a high proportion of Scots drivers who'd come down to London to get their drivers jobs a lot sooner than if they'd stayed in Scotland. On an early shift at around 4am, a tradition of theirs was to make tea in an old electric urn. Inside you'd find half a box of cheap teabags, a couple of mugs of sugar and a good few pints of milk all brought to the boil and allowed to stew for at least half an hour. Sounds disgusting but on a cold winter's morning, it was absolutely wonderful stuff...

One of the signalmen at Hooton used to make tea the same way.

Afternoon all.

I've been scanning some photos of my son as he's 21 on Monday,  boy has that flown. Travelling up to Birkenhead tomorrow, a party on Saturday night and then back home again on Sunday - I expect I'll manage some train photography whilst up in the North West too. Friday night on the M6 ... oh what joy !

Have a good day all.

I also received Rupert annuals at Christmas, anyone remember the magic paintings ?

• Like 1

ESCOM reports that they had to resort to "load shedding" as the Power Station coal was too wet!

Hence been off line since midday!

Officially only tea is served at supper.

I told Management, truthfully, that I don't drink tea.

A special mini pot of black coffee is made for me at supper time! I add a dribble of milk :no: .

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have always found chillies to be very slow to germinate - if they do at all.  Once going though they seem to do very well.  We have three very small ones as house plants and they fruit all winter on a window ledge.  Nothing like fresh chillies, so much better than dried.

i think the first batch of seeds, which were kept in the greenhouse since June, may have got too hot, reducing their chance of germination? So, I've started a second batch. Those were Thompson and Morgan.

I have 3 other varieties that came at Christmas as a "3 chilli kit", including compost and pots. These germinated with no problem.

Hoping for a good crop! :) 

I also received Rupert annuals at Christmas, anyone remember the magic paintings ?

Yes I usually ruined them by "painting" on the water with a three inch brush.

Andy's started a new section on "Intermodal/Containers", Dave - which will be USACAN, UK and International, i.e. Worldwide.

Best, Pete.

A good afternoon to everyone. SWMBO's surgery went well. She is already annoying the nurses by trundling off to the loo unassisted. Just waiting for them to send her for an other set of X-rays and permission to go home. I will admit to having being a bit worried as I have a pretty sh*t record when taking family to the hospital. :-(

Chilies, to change the subject. they are a royal pain to get to propagate but once they go...... SWMBO's secret is heat. the soil has to be at least 15-20c to get the little b*ggers to start growing. Spent an hour today checking out the garden for her. Loads of bulbs coming up. The crocus, snow drops, and daffs are doing their thing. Early tulips look ready to bring forth their colours in the next couple of weeks. Had a nice chat with the worms in her composter. They're Red Wigglers, the Cadillac of worms. (doubt many or any will get that reference)

Time to play taxi driver. Laters

Good morning all, -9 and sunny, headed for +1 and we're supposed to be PLUS "something" for the next few days - the thaw will start, and already folks are reporting ice dams on roofs! Major issue here with all that snow and then a thaw with overnight freezing temps. We get flooding from the top down!

I'm a one-cup-of-tea-in-the-morning now, and coffee (one) at the weekends. In my yoof (well really in my 30s) I used to drink gallons of bad coffee all day, being in software deveopment and the associated companies and company kept, it used to be you'd have a coffee cup permanently grafted to one hand, always full, continually being drained. After a few "issues" the doctor kindly explained that the gastro-intestinal system of humans isn't designed for the gallons of the crap I was ingesting and to "do myself a favour....".

Stopped the eternal coffee, felt MUCH better, and now just one cup of "something" followed by liberal amount of water for the balance of the day - it's OK after you get used to it...honest it is, no HONESTLY!!!

Long Ash Wednesday service for the choir last night, very worthwhile as what we sung was all excellent, but little time for anything else.

I DID however get enough time to find my short circuit problem - some COMPLETE IDIOT had installed the last point (electrofrog) in a batch without completing the DCC setup by clipping the tiny little wires connectors to the frog - if I ever find him, I'll give him a piece of my mind, that's for sure!!!

Ooooo, just found him :punish: bet it won' t be the last time I make that mistake <sigh>

• Like 1

I still have a bumper crop of frozen snow.................I dread to think what the ground looks like underneath...

Best, Pete.

For some reason I get the impression that under the ground in your garden, you have a mole - who keeps puhing his nose up to see if winter has finished yet. and when it melts..........

• RMweb Gold

I went into the garden and got bitten by insects. 

Unless it was in the park earlier.

Much excitement in the park. Some workmen had managed to get their Land Rover stuck in the flood defences. I'm not surprised the ground was boggy it was under water a couple of days ago. I think they had been repairing the manhole cover that has been pretending to be fountain for a couple of weeks. I did tell them that the park groundsmen had a tractor but the chap was looking for somewhere to attach his winch.

Then just as exciting, a pair of DRS Class 37s with some yellow coaches in between chugged past heading west.

I have been keeping up with my "How to be a Railway Modeller" lessons and this week did  "Receive a stock email from Hattons and immediately send off for item". I won't be able to cross off the "Complain about slow despatch" or "Complain about wrong kind of grease" lessons as the items  are on the way and I don't think brake vans or coal wagons get greased. Perhaps there will be some dodgy ducket installation!

• Like 2

Actually, Jack, I swear that the chipmunks are actively tunneling between the snow and ground and are loving it because they can avoid the attentions of our local (rather large) Red - Tailed Hawk. Who when he perches in one of our trees makes all noises silent. I can always tell when he is around...

My dog goes mad sticking her nose right into the snow - something is going on.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

For some reason I get the impression that under the ground in your garden, you have a mole - who keeps puhing his nose up to see if winter has finished yet. and when it melts..........

Coming from Birmingham and never having seen a mole I always imagined them to be much bigger, getting on for small guinea pig size. So the first time I saw one (it ran over my foot) I was really surprised how tiny they are.

Carritt 'as the roit oidea abaht moles...... a shotgun is the one and only cure! For a tiny creature they can't half make a mess!!  I was told mothballs dropped in the tunnels were the best - the little bu99ers just popped them all back up again!!!