The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Regarding Ash's dilemma, mentioning that a will has been written favouring "The Home for Distressed Elderly Railway Modellers"

iD

Are there any vacancies......................................

• RMweb Gold

A sunny start here without but not within.

Interfering offspring I do not need! I fear there is a degree of role reversal here with no 1 daughter thinking she has the right to monitor my behaviour and admonish my perceived shortcomings.

Now, where did I put that will.........?!

Matthew hasn't ever been reluctant to share his opinions but fortunately they seem quite sensible!

• RMweb Premium

Regarding Ash's dilemma, mentioning that a will has been written favouring "The Home for Distressed Elderly Railway Modellers" (but one that could be changed at some later timepoint) is likely to result in some filial piety and obedience.

iD

Are there any vacancies......................................

There is a waiting list, but it is rather long.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The sun shineth - probably a temporary phase but it's there at this minute.  Which will help as it's another log moving day - got to keep the wood burner going of an evening in order to keep the cats happy, these two definitely like their home comforts although one is on starvation today for a tummy (probably) problem so life is dangerous as hungry cats prowl the household.

Have a good day one & all.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Hmm, perhaps a little trick I've seen practiced may not go amiss.

Many years ago, I had a chum who was an officer in the London Fire Brigade, one evening we met up for drinks after his gym session, whilst crossing a zebra crossing some pillock stopped with his wheels ON the crossing just as the London crowd starting crossing. My chum Pete used his soft, but heavy, sports bag to give the offending vehicle an almighty thump on the sheet metal. Of course, this caused no damage but frightened the life out of the prat driving the car - who for a moment thought he had hit a pedestrian. I am pretty certain the driver thought twice in the future about braking at the last minute fo zebra crossings.

Ah well... Tea Break Over, off to work again

iD

I witnessed something similar many years ago at a newly installed Panda crossing. On this occasion two 'boy racers' upon seeing the lights about to change tried to race the lights. As the first car flashed over the crossing someone done exactly the same thing with a bag. The first driver jammed on the brakes, the second driver only a few feet behind him couldn't miss. :mosking:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Evening with Alison and Sheena went very well - despite three kids, eldest 10, who are an unfamiliar accompaniment to me. A large piece of pork had been slow-cooking for many hours, and was delicious, having a mustard coating. Strawberries from Morocco were a treat of sorts, but I was told they didn't taste as good as fresh ones in season from France or England.

Sherry - the only person who can decide your position on anything is you. They may think they are too old for you to box their ears, but you do have sanctions, and their tails need tweaking now. And, as I pointed out on another subject recently, as we get older and the chances of things going wrong increase, seizing the moment actually becomes more important - and if you feel strongly enough to mention wills, it seems likely this is Big Stuff. You need to add up the pluses and minuses in whatever the issue is, and that may inform your decision, but assessing who your ongoing friends might be could also be important. Some of us do quite well alone - e.g. in many ways Deb and I led parallel lives, so I have coped better than many would in bereavement - but you are probably not one of them, being, I sense, a little softer.

It's a bright morning here, almost Spring-like. Hope yours is good too.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A warm sunny morning in Southampton, after a frosty start. I shall be off to work shortly; yesterday I started a month's part time temp job at my old place, preparing a Heritage Assessment of the industrial Itchen riverside area. It included at least three separate industrial railways/tramways. This aspect of the job was the only bit I missed after retirement, as  being research-based it's more like a hobby. Hopefully it will lead to a few more similar jobs, as long as there's gaps between them; I couldn't face being back there every day. 

Back on here later

Pete

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Still sunny - it can't last.

iD, unfortunately on the spot fines aren't in our legislation, despite attempts to introduce them in a recent Criminal Justice (amendment) Bill that was defeated for other reasons.  We aren't part of the UK, don't forget!  Parking tickets are the best we can do in these circumstances, but the wardens are seldom in the right place at the right time - we don't have many and they don't seem to have the same view on this issue as many residents do.  We only have 230-ish police officers for the whole country so they aren't really bothered with such minutiae.

• RMweb Gold

A nice sunny start to the day with blue sky and just a breath of wind.

The past few days have seen the slow advance of the paintbrush and paint around the upper regions of the house.

This has been interspersed with assisting in the construction of a Science and Technology package for the Obergrumpenfuhrer in her capacity as a trainer with Girlguiding UK.

The package is designed so leaders can take interesting and achievable projects back to their units and promote science and technology as something that is interesting and fun.

In my capacity as technical adviser,(gopher is a more apt descripter) we have had fun this week designing and making a working Ballista from bamboo canes, a couple of pop pop boats, (which has consumed by entire stock of 1/8" copper tube)and a water powered space ship made from a lemonade bottle....................well it's hardly rocket science is it?

However, the best is yet to come.

Since the training meeting is in Leamington Spa, I can go along and assist in the unloading of all the equipment, and then toddle off to the Leamington show at Stoneleigh, and then returning to pack it all away again.

Having seen the list of traders attending this year, my credit card has already broken into a sweat.

Btw, painting a track plan on a bedroom door, even in undercoat, is not as appreciated as it should be.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Many, many years ago when Aditi's family really disapproved of her wish to marry me, it all got very Victorian melodrama-ish with her mother stating they would "disown" her (whatever that meant) and her father would exclude her from his will. Aditi just said she would prefer her father to have a long life instead of his money.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

In my capacity as technical adviser,(gopher is a more apt descripter) we have had fun this week designing and making a working Ballista from bamboo canes, a couple of pop pop boats, (which has consumed by entire stock of 1/8" copper tube)and a water powered space ship made from a lemonade bottle....................well it's hardly rocket science is it?

Sounds more like urban guerilla training to me!

• Like 2

Morning all,

Late to enter the debate on parking, but I notice that one parent who picks up from school has got into the habit of parking across a white line which denotes where all the children have to cross the road. So, blocking access, making it unsafe to cross the road behind a parked car. The last person who did this made the mistake of leaving her nearside window open. She was quite surprised (literally) when my head and shoulders popped through explaining that "May I just say this is the most stupid, irresponsible place imaginable. Don't do it again!" Sadly this seems to just leave a gap for the next moron to do it. This time I may have to resort to simply climbing over the bonnet to make the point. GRRRRRR! or I could perhaps leave a post it note on the rear windscreen with a helpful suggestion on why it isn't the best place to park. 

...and breathe deeply. In ...5,6,7, out 8,9,10,11,12.... 

I know a web site for people like that. www.youparklikea****.com  (that link won't work you need to change the **** to something rather profane beginning with the letter c and ending with t.) As you may guess the language is rather colourful. as a less profane (sort of) alternative there is the shame a driver twitter feed. https://twitter.com/ShameADriver

My BiL, he of the frozen bicycle, used to work as a courier. Bad drivers and poor parking which blocked cycle paths were usually repaid with their wing mirror being introduced to a D lock at high velocity. He also had a habit of walking across someone's bonnet if they had blocked a pedestrian crossing.

Its local election time in the boring borough. Its that time once every 4 years where the maggots crawl off the sh*t pile and condescend to mixing with the plebs just long enough to hope you forgot what utter bell***s they are and will vote them in again. our fine upstanding councillors take the time to address the concerns of the electorate. Times like this I wish I had a turret on the house and a vat of boiling oil.

Ashcombe: may I suggest some psychological warfare. If she is judging your behaviour, just leave the odd freak out inducing item lying around in strategic locations. Travel brochures for strange destinations with dangerous activities. Volcano bungee jumping in Indonesia or similar. A copy of 50 shades with a riding crop. A guide to hydroponic pot growing. etc, etc. Yes, I'm a complete wind up merchant. Once upon a time I shared accommodation with others. Someone used to go through my wardrobe. I started "hiding" strange and exotic items in there just to see if I could get a rise out of the guilty party. (car parts, bits of plumbing, innocent videos and magazines with not so innocent covers, stuffed squirrel) Loads of fun.

Enjoy your day everyone. I'm playing magical meetings just now. So far today's 16:00 meeting has gone from live to tele-conference back to live, to moving 3 times, to cancelled, un-cancelled, and finally back to a face to face at the client's office. Weeeee

• Like 7

Living opposite a school gives me a great opportunity to see all sort of ridiculous parking behaviour.  No, it is not limited to the UK!

My side of the road is a no parking zone - which means that cars can stop to let their kids out.  The other side of the road is a no stopping zone in front of the school itself, but once beyond the school boundary parking is allowed.  You would think, given the possibilities that nobody would be stupid enough to stop in the no stopping zone - but you'd be wrong.

Despite the no stopping zone being there to protect their children a substantial number of parents still stop there.  Every now and then, the police will have a blitz - which involves them hiding behind a hedge, and popping out to slap a ticket on a car the second it stops.  That works for a few weeks, and then it's back to normal.

On one occasion, someone parked right in front of my gate as I was about to back out of it!  Then, when I got out of the car to enquire what they thought they were doing, had the cheek to tell me they would only be five minutes or so.

On the recent build estates round here there is so little room for parking that the residents and visitors have no option other than to park half on pavement.

Most of Stevenage is mid-50's terraced housing with something like one garage per 10 houses. The garages are bloody dear to rent and seem mostly to be used by tradesmen for storage.

Ed

As a labourer for a team of 3 that spent the better part of 6 months in the early 60's, reslabbing paving in Stevenage, I know EXACTLY what you mean - parking our lorry was great fun- I have to say though, that Herbie (a 70-year old-fashioned tradesman who simply wouldn't retire, with a "tab" permanently attatched to his bottom lip) did manage to teach me to cut a paving slab dead straight - by eye -  to achieve a perfect fit!. In that time we only got offered tea by one lady,( all the others were out at work!) and she got a crazy paving path fitted free of charge, rather than taking all the broken slabs back to the yard!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

We live round the corner from a primary school. Most of the poor parking takes place at the end nearest the school but we do get the occasional inconsiderate parker. Someone parked across the drive of a near neighbour. He was just about to go out and asked the parent parking there how he was expected to get out of his drive. The driver actually suggested he could get a bus. I'm sure you will be pleased to know that he didn't get a bus and it was amazing how quickly she moved the car. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I did get shouted at for inconsiderate parking once in Germany. We arrived at the hotel and there was a single parking place next to the entrance to allow guests to drop off luggage. I stopped long enough for Aditi to get out so she could go in to check the reservations and immediately intended to go to the main car park. However as soon as she opened the car door a man sitting at a table started shouting at her about how inconsiderate it was to leave her car with the engine running while he was eating his meal (he had chosen a roadside table!). I think he had assumed she was the driver and hadn't realised it was a RHD vehicle. He wouldn't make eye contact when I walked up to the hotel.

• RMweb Premium

Morning (just) all

been a busy bee so far today - collected a sound chip from DC kits and loads of boxes to pass on to Judith Edge kits.

Put some washing out then brought it back in due to ...rain

started on some wallpaper stripping ... off to the bank and post office after lunch ... I just don't know how I fitted work in.... and my final indoor cricket umpiring is tonight,,,,,

its all go here..

• Like 4

Well yes, as a Community First Responder, I don't get to drive with blues" and so can be trapped behind a DPCT. A teensy bit infuriating when the text on the LAS radio has "cardiac arrest" and there ain't no alternative route. Not that your average DPCT takes much notice of blues; one must ensure that little darling successfully achieves the 10 yard walk from rear passenger door to school gate. I mean, it could be little darlings most energetic activity of the whole day.

Not that I'm going anywhere today, as a neighbour's telephone wire is at waist height across my drive. Actually I can drive out but would need assistance in reversing back in again. So it's just the bike until further notice. Luckily my next CFR duty is next Monday.

Bill

DPCT = Double Parked Chelsea Tractor

"In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.

Then her cheek was pale and thinner than should be for one so young,

And her eyes on all my motions with a mute observance hung.

On her pallid cheek and forehead came a colour and a light,

As I have seen the rosy red flushing in the northern light"

trisonic adds: "Get on with it whilst the body is still willing and able for f@#k's sake! The suspense is killing...."

Apropos of nothing as usual, of course....

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had quite a long chat with Matthew this morning. He has his Skype interview this afternoon for the internship placement organisers in Melbourne. He seemed a bit nervous and just wanted to chat.  He had also applied to Tesco but didn't get as far as an interview as he didn't match their needs according to their psychometric test. He didn't seem too bothered about that though! He has been accepted onto a Masters course at the University of Leeds Business School (subject to getting a 2:1 from Leicester) but he is keen to have some work experience before he starts. He also has applications in to LSE and Liverpool but they haven't replied yet. 

He had to give up his ideas about working in urban systems planning. He could have got on the appropriate courses but when he looked at the job opportunities they all required design (graphics skills). There were very few opportunities for people like him interested in the pre-planning research. As he can't draw he decided to go for something more people orientated. He said if he did have design skills he would have liked to have been an architect. So it looks as if urban plannings loss will be human resource managements gain.

I'm surprised he hasn't tried for the diplomatic service, he likes travelling and already has friends in Russia.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago, I had a chum who was an officer in the London Fire Brigade, one evening we met up for drinks after his gym session, whilst crossing a zebra crossing some pillock stopped with his wheels ON the crossing just as the London crowd starting crossing. My chum Pete used his soft, but heavy, sports bag to give the offending vehicle an almighty thump on the sheet metal. Of course, this caused no damage but frightened the life out of the prat driving the car - who for a moment thought he had hit a pedestrian. I am pretty certain the driver thought twice in the future about braking at the last minute fo zebra crossings.

By chance I happened to be carrying umbrellas for the children yesterday. Being quite a clumsy chap these seemed to end up being dragged over the car as I walked past. Don't ask me how...must have been the wind. Hopefully the driver, who was sitting in his car at the time, may have got the message. I believe I may be taking a large bag with wellie boots in today. Oh, and a Post-it note: "Dear children, parents and grandparents. Please squeeze past the rear of this vehicle to cross the road. Please do use x-ray glasses to see through this vehicle and ensure it is safe to cross." 

• RMweb Premium

By chance I happened to be carrying umbrellas for the children yesterday. Being quite a clumsy chap these seemed to end up being dragged over the car as I walked past. Don't ask me how...must have been the wind. Hopefully the driver, who was sitting in his car at the time, may have got the message. I believe I may be taking a large bag with wellie boots in today. Oh, and a Post-it note: "Dear children, parents and grandparents. Please squeeze past the rear of this vehicle to cross the road. Please do use x-ray glasses to see through this vehicle and ensure it is safe to cross." 

Yes it's amazing what can happen accidentally.  I was once out in a local park one Sunday afternoon with SWMBO, some of our kids and various in laws and two young nieces.  Through the crowded park came two local yoofs riding on a stripped down Honda 70.  They had to slow down to try and squeeze through a gap between two pieces of childrens play equipment so I produced my warrant card and spoke to them.  I was just checking the loose wiring on the bike, in order to make it safe for the riders, when they tried to ride off and I was left holding the ignition harness in my hand.  The two poor yoofs had to push said motorbike back up rather a long hill to the estate they had ridden from.  It's terrible when unfortunate accidents like that happen.

Jamie

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Those mini-moto things were a plague here a few years ago, riding in parks and pavements, school playgrounds etc. Having tried the gentle approach with no result, we developed a tactic of waiting until they rode them up the street home at tea time and nicked them for no insurance, helmet, licence....word got around.  We don't often need to get so heavy handed here but they were a real pest, the community bobbies finally lost it with them!

• Like 4