The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Aussies 494 for 7 at the end of day 1. H E L P!

Some relief yesterday afternoon when rain stopped play!

Today partly cloudy at. 23C 10% chance of rain but unlikely.

I hope the new week is good to you.

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 6

Morning all,  yet another Moanday dawns!  Still I had a fairly productive day of modeling yesterday.. inbetween bouts of work & snoozeing.

The threatened thunder & rain didnt appear around here, but could be heard in the distance.

What ever you're up tp today, try and find something to smile at. 

Trev.

• Like 4

Dawn breaking over Slapding with a little cloud, but the promise of a fine, bright day. 

Time for a quick brew and breakfast, then off to pick up Jane early at Peterborough for a days hiking our favourite Norfolk Coast.

Stayed up far too late modelling last night but a bracing walk on the shingle from Cley to Blakeney Point should blow a few cobwebs away!!

Have a good day in ER one and all!

• Like 5

Morning All,

It is quite a chilly morning here, with a touch of mist and temperature around freezing.

The trip to work was rather more eventful than usual.  We got through without problems, but one car on the motorway was on fire (by the time we arrived the fire brigade were damping down the wreckage) and another bloke had run a wild boar down on the motorway exit.  He was Ok, and his car looked relatively undamaged, but he was waiting for the police to arrive.  If you kill game with a car in Germany, then you have to pay for the animal (and no, you don't get to keep it!)

A belated Happy Birthday to Ian!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

Time for a quick brew and breakfast, then off to pick up Jane early at Peterborough for a days hiking our favourite Norfolk Coast.

Stayed up far too late modelling last night but a bracing walk on the shingle from Cley to Blakeney Point should blow a few cobwebs away!!

That is a beautiful stretch of coastline, and the good news is that we have a little blue sky here this morning, although I haven't checked yet to see what the met office says is in store for North Norfolk today. Enjoy.

Edited by Pete_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny with clear blue sky here. Rain forecast for mid morning until late afternoon. 

Robert's boar reminded me of the time Aditi and I were on holiday in Germany. We had visited a wild boar park/zoo/reserve and had seen lots of sows and boarlets but on returning to the car which was parked outside an enormous tusk equipped boar came out of the woods and started licking the insect collection off the front of the car.

Tony

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Damp night but now dry with blue sky and 4oC. Sunshine, heavy scattered showers, hail, thunder and sleet all possible according to the forecasters.

Chris took me for "walkies" yesterday but it wasn't too bad - my knee is only slightly painful.

Today I'm expecting a parcel in the form of a new mobile computer workstation which will (just) fit into the spare bedroom railway room and will double as a workbench. This was actually Chris's idea to stop me cluttering up the breakfast bar and/or the dining room table with "railway stuff". (One of her better ideas I think)

Weigh in due shortly - I'm expecting to take a backward step this week.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited to retype most of the above as I seem to have lost it the first time!

Edited by grandadbob

Out of the 12" of snow expected between yesterday afternoon and today we have received precisely a big fat zero!

I'm pretty happy.......although a lay in would have been nice. The Oscars show was actually enjoyable for once, which is even odder...

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Frosty start to the day with a cloudy sky..

This week I shall mainly be doing.....wallpaper stripping......frabjoy!

Hope you all have a good Monday!

• Like 2

Morning all. Its amazing what a bit of radiated vitamin D can do for people. Sunshine even on a Monday brightens up the mood.

Ian, the ice cream cake was a bit of a joke considering your temps at the moment. Glad you had a good day though.

My BIL texted me from Calgary on Saturday saying he couldn't get to work as it was so cold (how cold was it?) that the grease on his bicycle gears had solidified to the point where he couldn't get it moving. (what kind of psycho tries to cycle in -40c? ) The outlaws arrived home in Winnipeg yesterday to -33c after 6 weeks in Ft Myers Fla. That'll teach them for spending SWMBO's inheritance. :jester:  Although I've got a feeling they have finally had enough of winter and expect to see their house for sale by the end of summer and the purchase of a Snow Bird condo in Florida to follow.

Another quiet day expected. Sent the project manager an email on Friday asking when he expected the review on the documentation to be completed. He replied with a photo of a glacier. Obviously my twisted sense of humour is rubbing off.

Enjoy your Monday everybody.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you have the misfortune to hit a sheep in the Forest of Dean and report it the owner of the sheep will send you a bill Sheep have right of Way in the forest. I don't think the same applies to wild boar but one caused some excitement and panic when it entered the Co-op in Coleford.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Catching up.  Belated birthday wishes Ian.  My apologies for the late arrival of these wishes - this has been caused by temporary relocation to an alternate universe.

It was very wet and it looked like this:

DSCN1400-M.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Catching up.  Belated birthday wishes Ian.  My apologies for the late arrival of these wishes - this has been caused by temporary relocation to an alternate universe.

It was very wet and it looked like this:

Is that Newcastle, Rick?

• RMweb Premium

I don't often post here, but thought I'd tell you all about dinner tonight.

SWMBO was going out, so had to fend for myself. Decided to cook some Herb & Garlic Kangaroo Steak on the BBQ - an excellent choice.

SWMBO hates the concept of eating 'roo, she reckons its full of vermin and won't even let me cook it in the kitchen when she's there. Her first husband used to shoot it himself & serve it to their dogs.

What a tragic waste of perfectly good food, still it means I didn't have to share! Tastes fantastic, providing its not over cooked & yes the Labrador loved the left overs - no great surprise there.

:laugh:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A wettish night, showers this morning, but blue sky approaching.

Elsewhere on RMweb people are discussing the World Crisis, and objecting to railway staff having untaxed travel perks in retirement. Jolly stuff!

Dinner tonight Chez Alison. Partner Ben will be out teaching, so Sheena and I will not feel embarrassed by the grumpy atmosphere.

Hope your week goes well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that Newcastle, Rick?

Looks very much like Sydney Harbour, to me! Taken from the other side compared to the traditional tourist view. The Opera House can be seen under the centre of the bridge.

Edit. Just ignore my sense of direction. My excuse is that its years since I last went to Sydney!

Edited by kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

Is that Newcastle, Rick?

Close.  It's Sid's Knee and his famous coat-hanger.  Newcastle is three hours up the coast on quite comfortable double-decker electric trains.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looks very much like Sydney Harbour, to me! Taken from the other side compared to the traditional tourist view. The Opera House can be seen under the centre of the bridge.

It's the "traditional" tourist view from Circular Quay.  The Opera House is just out of shot to the right; the lights across the water are from Luna Park and North Sydney.  Here's one from a different angle however .....

DSCN1523-M.jpg

DSCN1418-M.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Well it is a lovely morning here in sunny Shropshire, after a rather wet spell overnight.

I continue to roam the upper echelons of the house with the decorating kit spreading paint and dust wherever I go.

I would have thought that the Obergrumpenfuhrer would have got the message by now, but she merely appears at regular intervals to view 'progress'.

The problem is, that instead of just painting, i'm spotting small flaws in plaster or  minute cracks where timber meets wall, so am diverted into filling and smoothing exercises.

I prefer to do this now that go back and do it after, and probably have to repair damage to the newly painted timberwork.

The reference to 'roo made me smile.

A few days ago I was describing how to dress and prepare pigeon.

Here in the country, pigeon means wood pigeon.  the lady in question is a townie, and to her, a pigeon is the feral type that frequent town squares and squat under railway bridges.

I wondered why she was turning slightly green at the thought of tucking into a nice tasty pigeon pastie?

Or perhaps it's the way I tell 'em?

• Like 6

Morning all. Rather overcast and heavy rain to start the day.

Busy weekend - hence wasn't able to spend any time on ER. Not sure quite what made it busy, but that's how it seemed.

Spent some time edging the lawn and breaking the ground up, hoeing and raking to sow new grass seed. Timed that to perfection as a rain show arrived to water the seed in. :)

Good news on a couple of utility bills. Both gas and electricity have noticed that we use less this year than last and are reducing our payments by about 20%. I'm trying to get everyone in the household to associate cause and effect. Daddy goes round turning the lights off and the bill comes down. I think it was the CEO of the Scottish electricity company that said "The cheapest unit of electricity you'll ever get is the one you don't use." A man after my own heart. 

I'm wondering if next time I buy a car for SWMBO the same will be true. "Could I have a car with just 3 gears please?" I'm practicing yoga-type breathing to calm myself for each journey where SWMBO thrashes the gearbox. I believe we once did 5 miles at 60mph in 3rd gear on the M6 after leaving a service station before she thought to change up to 4th. 5th gear was reached some miles later. The car has a "range" predictor. Each time I come to use it after swmbo has been at the helm I manage to get the range predictor to add about 50% to it's available mileage 

Rant over, breathing calmly.... 

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• RMweb Gold

I'm wondering if next time I buy a car for SWMBO the same will be true. "Could I have a car with just 3 gears please?" I'm practicing yoga-type breathing to calm myself for each journey where SWMBO thrashes the gearbox. I believe we once did 5 miles at 60mph in 3rd gear on the M6 after leaving a service station before she thought to change up to 4th. 5th gear was reached some miles later. The car has a "range" predictor. Each time I come to use it after swmbo has been at the helm I manage to get the range predictor to add about 50% to it's available mileage 

I have travelled with people who couldn't find 5th. It makes you wonder whether they shouldn't have bought an automatic instead, because the additional fuel burnt by not using 5th probably evens out the normally higher cost of running an auto. And of course, they are never the sort to change down three times while braking for the hairpin, so the slight loss of immediacy (that I ignorantly associate with automatics) won't matter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Rain has stopped and currently it's bit brighter.  Interesting to that Rick has been down on The Rocks, interesting little area of old Sydney I found, and good to see that the funfair on the north shore is still shining through the below the bog bridge at night - must be one of the few funfairs that is built on the site of a former railway station and I presume the car sidings are still there alongside it?

And Kevin should not have mentioned 'roo - those of a more traditional taste in food should look aside now as below is a pic of the delectable 'roo fillet I consumed in a restaurant alongside Darling Harbour back on my first time in Oz.  I also had some on my second trip but as it was a meal served up by friends for Sunday lunch I couldn't really sit there and take a pic of it.  Oh and sorry to inject railways into this place but you'll also find a view of Newcastle signalbox as it was back in 2004.

Have a good day one & all

post-6859-0-92278400-1393843542.jpg

post-6859-0-49615900-1393843562_thumb.jpg

• Like 5