The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I must admit that posties perhaps get an undeserved bad press, when they are often only responding to local management pressures.  We used to have a fantastic postie who whizzed around on his bike, but knew everyone and went out of his way to make sure mail was safely delivered.  Then our local office had  'substantial improvement and restructuring' and of course things got far, far, worse.  Mail arrives anytime from 8.45am to 2pm, different postie every day almost, but no sign of our original stalwart.

Best service I've had recently has been from DPD.  Clean, smart, vans and drivers, an email a day or so before telling me when the parcel will be delivered, and one on the day giving me a window of an hour for delivery.  The email also contains map information showing where the driver is and refining the delivery time.  Superb!   And sadly something Parcel Force should have done.

• Like 2

Morning all

An imperfect night had me drinking tea at 5, but I slept again afterwards. The day is bright and sunny, so that's nice.

A friend and I were reminiscing about skool playground games on the first of the month. "Pinch, punch, first of the month!" they mis-rhymed. But, if the first thing you said on rising was "White rabbit!" you were immune, allegedly. But how did the playground bullies know whether you'd said it or not? Discuss.

Hope you weekend goes well.

Funny that - I related this "feature" of British life to my wife and kids years back when the kids were maybe 3-4 at the time. It's STUCK to this day, and Mrs got me this morning.

We HAVE had to invoke a "can't be done via text, but PHONE CALL is permissible" rule, given the kids are now scattered to the wind - well corners of Minnesota at least.

I had forgotten the "White Rabbit" bit, so will add that and see how it goes down.

-19 here and cloudy, high expected -17 - bah humbug. We're off in about 3 hours to see son do the Polar Plunge, seems we might get frozen ourselves just WATCHING in this weather.

Note: Don't EVER think that if you perceive a free weekend, it'll actually MATERIALIZE! I've now discovered that in addition to the Polar Plunge watching;

i) we "need" to clear out the small office on the main floor as it's being re-decorated starting Monday

ii) we MUST go to IKEA and a couple of other places to look at various kitchen components for the potential upcoming kitchen revise

iii) sundy other tasks...

I'm GOING to do some modelling even if it's at 11PM tonight - will report back, and tomorrow on my birthday, FOR SURE (yeah, dream on!!).

Of course in addition to all the above, to compliment Ash, the choir have our "Concert" appearance tomorrow evening, call is for 5PM for an almost complete rehersal/run-through, and concert starts at 7PM.

On the postman front, whilst I truly sympathize with those having issues, I have to say that even with the lambasting the US Mail gets here, I've never (touch wood) had any problems at all in the twenty plus years in this house. They're on-time, friendly, generally leave items they should, are concientious when we're NOT here at leaving a note and redelivering, never let packages get wrecked, never skulk around and avoid delivering packages, so I'm well pleased...

Make best use of the weekend everyone :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My gardening wasn't too difficult. It just consisted of putting the bird feeders back up. I took them down recently for a good clean out. Aditi did some gardening though, a bit of light pruning and everything looks very tidy.

I did plant about 20 small trees but they were 1/76th scale. I spent some time putting the Woodland Scenic armatures where I thought they looked nice but then thought I'd better look at a photo of the prototype embankment. In modern times it is quite overgrown but in the 1950s and 60s it was scruffy grass but without shrubs or trees. In LNWR days the photos would suggest some neater grass and a flower bed. So I have moved the shrubbery up to the top of the embankment. Though to be honest after sticking clumps of foliage on to tiny plastic twigs I regret not modelling an autumnal scene.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, we me and MrsB went off to Mansfield exhibition this morning and stayed for more than three hours! OK we had refreshments but there was plenty to look at. Ian (redgate models) had made sure there was a space to park so MrsB didn't have far to walk which helped her stay longer. Karen even bought a couple more Metcalfe kits for the shunty plank. Those years card making and scrapbooking result in some good looking buildings quickly made. Enjoyable day out. Hope everyone has a good time for the rest of the weekend. 

• Like 5

:boast: Enjoying a nice day off today: a trip to the model railway exhibition at Rainhill..........although I`m sure it wont be a trial! :mosking:

Ray and Polly (RMweb`s 'Tender' and 'Southern42') are exhibiting their Camel Quay layout, it`ll be lovely to see them (and it). :good:

The Rainhill show was lovely: very friendly, interesting and easy to get to. :good:

A nice day out, only let down on the return journey by a shockingly overcrowded Pacer 142 (2 car set) on the Stalybridge to Liverpool Lime St. route.....there must`ve been five times the safe, passenger allowance wedged onto that set; t`was like a scene from a Tokyo commuter train! :O

No wonder the electrification of that line is long overdue!

My personal Royal Mail horror story involves my PhD submission form which I posted to my supervisor who lives on the far side of the county - first class but not tracked/signed for. A week later it still hadn't arrived so he printed off a copy, filled in his bits, and posted it to me. A week later there was still no sign of either copy of the ruddy form so, by now somewhat panic stricken, I printed off yet another copy and wasted the best part of a day on making the return journey to his office. Both missing copies did turn up within a couple of months but I still haven't forgiven Royal Mail and I wouldn't send anything important untracked. Should have claimed the cost of the train ticket off them I suppose, to say nothing of the paper and at least one set of envelopes and stamps

Evening all,    

Day out in the rain ( that shouldn't happen until April! ) to check on a site were "you'll be able to start commissioning from 3rd March as the gas will be available".......lying  *********!  No where near ready. In fact nothing has happened since around 15th January!  

By the way Gruffalo, you got my address here wrong... I've sent PM to NHN with the correct one! 

The low value notes here (there are coins but no one likes or uses them) mainly 20NGN  (about 7 1/4pence) are these new fangled plastic type....

Any way enough of the rubbish,  heres a photo of the 1:24 trolley; 

Trev

post-4282-0-60276900-1393696895.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

a belated hello from Leeds!

Been busy today tutoring a Level 2 Cricket Scorers course... nice group of attendees including her indoors who is already a Level 2 Tutor. As would be expected being indoors all day mean the sun has shone... it will be sunny tomorrow also as I am umpiring indoors from 11 till 6...

Have a great Saturday and Sunday everyone!

• Like 2

I'm off to see the Falcons tomorrow.

We bought our tickets a while ago, never thinking that Sunderland would reach the 'League Cup' final.

You could do us a favour by beating Tigers and denying them a point!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  where have I heard that before?

Spent the afternoon at a G1 Society meeting at a very posh address nearby.  Felt a little out of my comfort zone shall we say, I think most follk there earn more in a week than I do in a year.  Still, lots of G1 live steam thundering around a large indoor layout, odd sort of thing, bare boards and track but fully interlocked signalling from lever frames.  About 70 feet by 20....maybe more.

Mostly GWR locos, Aster Castles and Kings and the likes, some custom commissions, that the working man couldn't even think about!    Met some nice folk though, including one guy Pete probably knows but I didn't get his name - he used to manage Roxy Music though amongst others, before selling his business to Richard Branson.

• RMweb Gold

You could do us a favour by beating Tigers and denying them a point!

We can but try .......

........ sadly, not very likely though.

Your guys had a very impressive second half.

Cloudy overcast, chilly! Max 24C

The Aussies are beating the pants off us. End of day 1, Aussies batting, 331 for 3 GROAN!

I might have to skip live commentary on TV to avoid a heart attack!

Well that's my day planned.

I hope you manage a show or some modelling.

• RMweb Gold

A starter home! Crikey, most Brits buying their first home would love so much style and space! A site would be good, too.

Morning all

A frosty morning, maybe the second or third this year, I think. A fair if chilly day ahead.

A bit of a sore mouth - no, it hasn't had a well-deserved smack! - but survival likely, if grumpy.

Hope your day of rest pleases.

Following on from the photo I posted yesterday of the house being moved on a flatbed truck - http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/zip/4353470399.html . This is a free item!

A free house? Whatever next...? If it could be flat-packed and shipped, what an excellent railway room or clubhouse - it looks a little more substantial than any B&Q shed I've ever seen!

With some bright spots overhead and the drizzle finally stopped, I'm tempted to "bunk off" training at the lifeboat station this morning and do something simple that I haven't done for ages - go for a walk. I might head west out of Sheringham towards Weybourne along the coast road following the path of the North Norfolk Railway. I have no idea what they have in steam today but I might catch a glimpse of it running light engine from Weybourne shed.

Once past the modern blots on the landscape such as the petrol station, industrial estate and newly installed skate park (recently built to satisfy the local yoof), the views over the railway and golf course towards the sea are actually quite nice. I could take the rocky hilly coast path for better views, but I'd need to be feeling at least 300% more energetic...

As Don suggests, I must find out if there's a nearby show in the near future, as I haven't been to one for ages.

• Like 4

Good Morning,

I am moved by the numerous flags of support, posted by ERs. Thank you. Unfortunately, I must report that the (mis-)adventures don't stop there. I was out at a dinner yesterday evening when I received an urgent text from Mrs iD "DOG LIMPING BADLY. WHEN WILL YOU BE HOME?"...

I made my excuses and whizzed home, and checked out the HM: and indeed he was not only limping badly but seemed in considerable pain. So - to make a long story short - off to the emergency vet who thoroughly examined Schotty and X-rayed his paw (Mrs iD found the examination distressing to watch as the vet was checking Schotty's range of motion in the shoulder, elbow and wrist joints to rule out injury there which looks horrible but is merely uncomfortable for the animal  when the joint is sound). The final diagnosis? Well, Schotty has a soft tissue injury of some kind to a toe on his right paw and his treatment consisted of (at the vets) a wide spectrum antibiotic injection (which Schotty tolerated OK) a sub-cutaneous analgesia injection (which he did NOT like) and a padded dressing to protect the paw. The HM was also prescribed 150mg/qD of an NSAID for 5 days.

He is now on the mend and starts to sporadically to bear weight on his right paw. Amazingly, the bandage has stayed put and will be removed tonight. He is, it pains me to say, being a bit of a drama queen about this. I thought I had seen all of his "I am a poor suffering doggy" repertoire until now, but he has taken the art of "chewing the scenery" to new heights.

My thanks to Tony_S, DonW and others for tips on getting meds into dogs. Whilst he has sussed out the "pill-in-a-sausage" wheeze and was able to sniff out the pill hidden in a chunk of cheese with ease (cheese+pill = refusal, cheese alone = gulp!) I managed to bamboozle him by wrapping the pill pieces in moist lemon cake - making a pellet that gets inhaled without a second thought.

To conclude all matters canine, I must mention something I read recently about dogs. The author claims (and I agree) that not only did mankind create dogs, but dogs created mankind, Our relationship is one of symbiois. And when you think about it, the premise holds up: without Terriers and other ratting dogs, stores of grain would have been decimated by rats (and ethnologists believe that it was because of early farming and the availability of "surplus" food stored away that non-hunting and gathering humans could be supported by the group - thus leading to village and towns, societies and civilisation), without guard dogs, such as the Swiss Entlebucher Sennenhund, livestock (and an important source of protein in primitive societies) would have been decimated by predators, and without herding dogs, it is likely we would have no wool to clothe ourselves with or milk to drink (or at least in the quantities needed to support a large human society). Our history with cats is slightly different, but it is safe to say that without dogs and cats, we wouldn't have humanity and society as we know it. We owe them a big debt of gratitude...

Well, off to start the cooking (3 major recipes on the go today: steak and kidney, pork-shank ragù and a Penang chicken curry) and then some work on Camden Lock (I hope)

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3

Morning all,

Not much to report from here....except heavy rain forecast with temps in the mid  to high thirties, and humidity High! 

Might get a bit more on the trolley done..

What ever you're up to today, try and enjoy!

Trev.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather a pleasant morning here so far.

I may continue with the 1/76th scale gardening. I assembled another 15 shrubs/trees last night. I'm tempted to add a scene where the landowner has grubbed up the rest of the ancient hedging!

Tony

• Like 5

We can but try .......

........ sadly, not very likely though.

Your guys had a very impressive second half.

Your second half last week stifled us, and Tigers aren't as formidable this season so you can do it! I do hope it is enjoyable for you. Glarster weren't bad and we weren't good for a large part but we do play for 85 minutes this season.

I fancy that house, enough space for an aging Gruff and boss. The trouble we would face is throwing out the clutter we have accumulated over so many years in the same house.

Hope HM's paw continues to improve and Olddudders' bouche is more bon. Walking and gardening are probably on the cards today. Last night's excellent repast needs to be worked off!

Good Morning,

I am moved by the numerous flags of support, posted by ERs. Thank you. Unfortunately, I must report that the (mis-)adventures don't stop there. I was out at a dinner yesterday evening when I received an urgent text from Mrs iD "DOG LIMPING BADLY. WHEN WILL YOU BE HOME?"...

I made my excuses and whizzed home, and checked out the HM: and indeed he was not only limping badly but seemed in considerable pain. So - to make a long story short - off to the emergency vet who thoroughly examined Schotty and X-rayed his paw (Mrs iD found the examination distressing to watch as the vet was checking Schotty's range of motion in the shoulder, elbow and wrist joints to rule out injury there which looks horrible but is merely uncomfortable for the animal  when the joint is sound). The final diagnosis? Well, Schotty has a soft tissue injury of some kind to a toe on his right paw and his treatment consisted of (at the vets) a wide spectrum antibiotic injection (which Schotty tolerated OK) a sub-cutaneous analgesia injection (which he did NOT like) and a padded dressing to protect the paw. The HM was also prescribed 150mg/qD of an NSAID for 5 days.

He is now on the mend and starts to sporadically to bear weight on his right paw. Amazingly, the bandage has stayed put and will be removed tonight. He is, it pains me to say, being a bit of a drama queen about this. I thought I had seen all of his "I am a poor suffering doggy" repertoire until now, but he has taken the art of "chewing the scenery" to new heights.

Oh no!...........Schotty; get well soonest, big-Lad. :friends: