The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I was the pigeon, today the statue.

I went out to Eccles for the stone - got that fine, and then headed over to Gissing for the tanks with 66743 on them. I decided to go to a user worked crossing as the sun was out and the light is better, when I got there the gang were tree felling, no chance of a photo so I decided to move North a bit to a half barrier where the field is accessible and a nice view now the trees / bushes have been cleared back. The other gang were there fixing the fence, zero chance of a photo so now I had to head back to Gissing and as I drove down the lane towards the crossing I could see 66743 blasting North - darn it, I was too late ! (or similar words)

• RMweb Gold

(Not a) good day all,

Definitely not a good day but first to put olddudders right on Doreen - my mum retired from teaching in the 1970s so Doreen could well be in her '40s or possibly early '50 and it is equally possible that my mum could have taught either or both of Doreen's parents as she started teaching in 1941. And indecipherable cake - for someone who used to feed cake to teh cat I found the fact that the good Doc claimed not to have consumed any in in Vienna of all places to be completely indecipherable.

Now to the joys of today yesterday I rang the garage to book the car in for a service and an MoT - duly arranged for this morning.  Yesterday on the 'phone and today facing the p*llock to whom I gave my instructions I pointed out that at least one front tyre needed to be renewed as probably did the windscreen wiper blades BEFORE the MoT so please check and do BEFORE the MoT. Off we go into Reading to our usual eating haunt in Bill's - where the fried eggs were underdone and Mrs Stationmaster chucked up (twice in total so far) and I ended up with a somewhat 'loose' tummy and bowel.  Then after doing the shopping we go and have a cuppa - the garage rang, 'sorry sir but your car failed the MoT although I'm sure you know why' 'No says I, please tell me' (because I hadn't got the faintest idea why it should fail_.  'Well sir it needs a new front near side tyre and Driver's side windscreen wiper blade'   Just about containing my venom I pointed out to the idiot on the other end of the telephone that I had made it clear to two other brainless p*llocks working there that the tyres and wipers should be done before the car was sent for the MoT and that I was a less than happy bunny and I hoped it would still be ready at the promised time of 14.00.

So after telling the clown I didn't want the brake fluid drained and replaced (60 quid), didn't want the anti-freeze drained and replaced (90 quid) and yes I did want the pollen filter changed - as I had already said when I told them to check and change filters as necessary dumbo duly said he would try to have it done by 14,00  5 minutes later he rings back to say that he can't get the tyres because the Pirellis won't be in until 1600 and all his workshop staff finish then anyway but he could get me some alpha something or other tyres before then and they're only £80 each.  I don't think he entirely followed me when I said that somehow I had the impression that an 80 quid tyre of unknown make would be entirely suitable under a 1.5 tonne car at 90mph- presumably he thinks manufacturer's specs are there to be ignored?

Car not now ready until tomorrow morning - with a bit of luck and a following wind no doubt and I'm now seriously wondering what I actually get for £179 for the 'interim service'; pack of ruddy gangsters and not very bright ones at that.

Now from the incompetent to the downright ridiculous.  Coming home by train I noticed at Twyford a large white fence has been erected from end to end of the Up Main/Down relief island platform with occasional very large gates interspersed along it.  Now admittedly some poor person recently fell or jumped off one of the Main Line platforms but why on earth have Nr, with all their problems and calls on their funds, got the money to waste on a blinkin' great fence which basically serves only to get in peoples' way and next to a line where the linespeed (100mph+) hasn't changed in over 30 years.  Is it me or is it the loony world in which we live - was the poor s*d who jumped (or fell) at Twyford also a customer of Charters who had suffered equally from their incompetence and had to take the train home?

On a brighter note I got home to find a postal communication from Benfleet - holiday insurance docs.  But why has Benfleet still got its own postmark when we, and Reading, haven't?  I'm more than happy for Benfleet to have a postmark but it seems Royal Mail logic in such matters might be on a par with Charters' as they (don't) prepare a car for an MoT.

Hope things on here are better, disengage rant mode.

• RMweb Premium

The meadow turf arrived at midday. The instructions said it was a two-man job to lift each s@d and, in fairness, it was. So, I used a knife to solve that one - divide and conquer. 

The bees and butterflies are going to love this. 

I did try texting a police-mate of mine on the pretext he might want to come round and help me protect a vulnerable section of society (meaning the aforementioned bees and butterflies) so he sent round a crack squad of social workers instead. :jester:  

After wrestling the first demi-s@d onto the wheelbarrow I observed that yesterday sheep must have been happily grazing on my new lawn. Ask me how I know, he mutters, heading for the shower.

Anyway, waste not want not so I'm going to lag my neighbour's shed roof in environmentally-friendly turf that's left over. Will it be my fault if it collapses under the weight? :no: 

I must admit - I nearly did!  :training:

All the best, Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Aditi left a message that she was happy with the appraisal. 

Office 2013 Service Pack 1 - 1GB download - wonder if it'll be worth it?

taking an age!

I spent an exciting evening last night downloading "Mavericks" for my Mac Mini. It took ages to download and then over an hour to install and then wanted to do more updates. I just left it and went to bed. My iPod update didn't take long though.

I haven't got Office 2013 on any of my PCs.

One of my BiLs had to make a presentation to an organisation handing out research funding. This involved a Powerpoint presentation. I told him to save it in various versions of Powerpoint just in case the Royal College of GPs didn't have recent software on their presentation equipment. I didn't refrain from saying "I did warn you" when I heard what happened.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Aye, wa stayin wiv friends like, neyah Maasden in Sooth Sheels.

What shows please, John? I just may.....

Birtley   8th, 9th. . . . . . .  . . . . .  . . 22nd, 23rd  Perth Green (Jarra)

cheers

Edited by Two_sugars

Some pictures of my travels (i'll post my train pics in the overseas prototype forum)

Arty shot of the plane wing (BA's G-EUYA by the way)

vienna2014008_zpse1effb7d.jpg

The bins below my hotel room (i'm sure there were more there when I arrived)

vienna2014170_zpsbb5bb829.jpg

Sights of Vienna, the Rathaus, Austrian parliament and St Stephans Cathedral

vienna2014233_zps9d00890c.jpg

vienna2014225_zps3c961cd1.jpg

vienna2014015_zps3a0af33b.jpg

WW2 Flakturm, subsequently converted to an aquarium

vienna2014175_zps4d8283ad.jpg

The Prater ferris wheel

vienna2014275_zps96627c28.jpg

Mucking out at the Spanish riding school

vienna2014258_zpsc7a3327a.jpg

Trams

vienna2014223_zpse5bb2a62.jpg

vienna2014245_zpsdc6b02ef.jpg

Sights of Bratislava: Old Rathaus, Cathedral and street art

vienna2014127_zpse7c73d3c.jpg

vienna2014138_zps0e984204.jpg

vienna2014152_zps3d05b334.jpg

Skoda Sentinel steam lorry in the Bratislava transport museum

vienna2014066_zps19cd528a.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Definitely not a good day but first to put olddudders right on Doreen - my mum retired from teaching in the 1970s so Doreen could well be in her '40s or possibly early '50 and it is equally possible that my mum could have taught either or both of Doreen's parents as she started teaching in 1941. And indecipherable cake - for someone who used to feed cake to teh cat I found the fact that the good Doc claimed not to have consumed any in in Vienna of all places to be completely indecipherable.

Good to note Dr Station Cat has returned the indecipherable compliment! I think that's deuce - New balls, please!

When you said Doreen was in your mum's class, I inferred as a fellow pupil, of course. I know Ashcombe/Sherry is occasionally delighted to be re-acquainted with former pupils who have grown up and made their way in the world. Teaching is not without some pleasures, evidently.

The rain desisted quite early in the morning, so by midday we had sun, and I toddled off to Bonnetable for a bit of shopping. On coming out of Super U the sky was black, and it chucked it down most of the way home. Now bright and sunny again, as Alison gets mopping the bathroom. Lots of vinegar being used today, as we have hard water, and the shower floor does get a bit calcified.

• Like 2

Morning all...

Was up at 6 today so I could take daughter to the airport as she's off to Florida for a few days - lucky thing!

Now it's got just plain stupid/idiotic here (if it wasn't before!!) - at 6AM and still NOW three hours later it's -25C with a windchill of -36C it's hardly worth bothering anymore about writing the temps. as they don't even make any sense, you can't really tell the difference once it's this cold seems to me, it's just BL!@$!@$DY COLD and you should stay indoors and MODEL!

So the amusement of the day yesterday was that after President Obama was here, to laud the new light-rail and promote his 300+ billion dollar plan to improve the infrastructure in the US, roards rail networks etc., 2 hours later a test train on the line he just visitied derailed because of the ice and snow at an intersection that'd not been cleared as the line isn't "active" yet! :no:  :scratchhead:

I could barely contain myself when I heard the news - what a bunch of pillocks!!!!  :locomotive:

Who said trains stay on their tracks -->> http://www.twincities.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=5761062

If anyone knows how to make snow burn, let me know, I'm thinking of setting fire to my front yard to keep warm  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

We have recently been upgraded to Windows 7 and office 2010 is the ICT section being careful or just saving cash? Whatever version of IE we are using it is too old for google to be happy....

Aditi's college has also had the same upgrades made recently.

Tony,

I got the thing about the free mavericks upgrade (for my IMac). How can I tell if the hardware is suitable? The Apple page says 2007 onwards but I can''t find a date on it? I know my current OSX is fine it's 10.6.8........

best, Pete.

I'm resisting Windoze 8, so's our IT department.

Office 2013 is inevitable, so is Office 365.

Both of which are giving me problems.

Unless you HAVE to get the Microsquash office suite, I'd recommend LibreOffice, it's a free, peer-reviewed stable office suite that can do everything the Microsquash suite can do (and more). It's available for both PC and Mac. It does take some getting to used (especially on a MAC as my other ancient computers that run old versions of office are PCs, as is the work computer) but it is very stable and gets periodically updated.

Saves £££££££££

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Well, I'm fully caught up now - it has taken quite a while so to do, and just offer a blanket get well to the ailing - of whom we seem to have a few.

Been checking up on the state of the roads in Purley and down to Kenley and Whyteleafe, and though it's not as bad as the Somerset levels, it is surely pretty bad along the A22 which effectively follows the course of the Caterham Bourne river, which normally resides underground.  I used to live in the area and had a garden bordering onto the Caterham branch - at the bottom was a shed, a railway fence, and a socking great manhole - when I looked down, it was a great void which was virtually dry - the surveyor who did my Home Buyers said that this was "the Bourne, but it's always dry".  It was for all the time that we lived there, but I suspect that the manhole is now under a foot or so of water, and I've got to say, I really feel for the residents - not a great deal has been said about this particular flood, which has been ongoing now for some weeks - and it looks as if there are many homes affected.

Oh yes, and 45156 had a bit of a culinary disaster - having put the oven on for the chips, I also lit the gas under the saveloys which had water therein - then went up for a bath which was running, and the whole thing boiled dry.  Savs got a good singeing as a result, and they were not as brilliant as usual - DOH.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Oh yes, and 45156 had a bit of a culinary disaster - having put the oven on for the chips, I also lit the gas under the saveloys which had water therein - then went up for a bath which was running, and the whole thing boiled dry.  Savs got a good singeing as a result, and they were not as brilliant as usual - DOH.

Read that first time as the bath boiled dry and you had singed saveloys that were - ahem - somewhat more personal.  :jester:

My day was brightened a bit earlier this morning :   .......my 'phone rings....( I don't recognise the number)........so the call goes like this:  "is that Mr Trevor...yes [me thinking it maybe one of the staffs members wives phoning in to say they were sick]  who is this calling?  Moira......who?? .....Moira.... [ now I'm lost!] ......where are you?  She goes......"in  the car - on my way to work"  Where do you live....."why???" ....I want to come and see you......."why??"  I want to be your Friend  ......."Dont think so, I've got all the friends I need thankyou, you have a nice day now, 'bye". 

Still made a change to the morning commute! Dont recall ever being propositioned by phone before...

Bit of modelling time in prospect now, have good evening,

Trev