The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Now you also know what members of the band "Gentle Giant" did before they became, er, "Gentle Giant"

I was friendly with the drummer, Martin 'Cuddles' Smith for several years before he sadly passed away in 1997. He was still playing until he became too ill. He liked trains and we went on a couple of steam trips. He knew Harry Frith (Jr) of Eastleigh RPS and we were invited to ride in the support coach for E828 on a trip to Bristol. He spent most of the run at the window and was delighted to find his picture (in a very long shot) on the cover of Steam Railway magazine. 

Pete

Back home after cycling up to London (and catching the train home).  Trouble at a junction when I waited behind all the cars indicating left, beside a car not indicating.  Lights changed, toddled along behind the left turners, then was almost taken out by the idiot assuming I was turning left as well.  No, it wasn't a filter lane.  Much hooting from the idiot as I accelerated out of the way.  In retrospect I should have let him touch me, then insisted we go to the police station 100 yards away. But it was pissing down and I had a meeting to go to.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Mike what is the betting that they still have you marked down as DNA. I cannot see that they will have changed their records.

Don

Could be Don - but in view of the amount about me that Hearing Therapist entered onto her screen, plus the stuff that the audiologist entered on the system following my hearing test the hospital has a pretty complete record of my being there.  The impression I have is that the NHS Direct Booking Centre or whatever it's called is totally disconnected from the NHS and is - as someone has already said - basically a call centre managed by overpaid incompetents and staffed by poorly trained folk (judging by my experience with it today and in the past) who have no greater level of access to the online booking system than us; but at least it isn't in some remote part of our former empire.

Drove past approximately 100 bald eagles over a very short distance today. Most were perching in trees (about 30 in a single tree), some on the ground, and a few in the air. I've never seen so many in such a small area before, and that includes visits to rivers where the salmon were running. I presume this lot were on the way to or from one of these salmon runs - eagles come from hundreds of miles away to feed on dead and dying fish. No photos, unfortunately, since we were on a freeway and couldn't stop.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Bikini weather again today.   Layout being cleaned and polished to within an inch of its life ready for Saturday.  Next is sweep the leaves then clean the house ....... etc ......

Anyone want a few degrees Centigrade?  there's plenty spare here ;)

• Like 2

Morning All, 

Not much to report from these 'ere parts....but I've got some spare Centigrades too...

I did manage to get a bit of modeling done last night, the 20 minutes turned into an hour! Photo later.  

Now not sure this member of the eagle family is...

Try and survive the day, 

Trev

post-4282-0-01718300-1391060441.jpg

• Like 9

I'll take 'em, Rick!

Bikini weather here too but than add vest, T-shirt, long sleeve T shirt, Fleece, Fleece Jackat - couple pairs of pants etc., etc.

Best thing I bought this year? Leather and Fur Trapper's hat (with the flaps...

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Drizzly at the moment & 4oC - some more rain forecast with possibly one or two bright intervals this afternoon.

Went to do some ballasting yesterday then realised I hadn't painted the track so did that - now hoping to ballast today. (unless management has other plans for me)

She's only working until 7.00 this morning so I'm off to pick her up in a moment & assist hinder her in the replenishment of food & drink. (not much of the latter needed at the moment)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

Morning All,

The temperature has dropped quite a lot here this morning, we are now down below freezing.

Yesterday turned into rather a busy day, so hopefully today will be a little calmer.

Whatever today brings you, have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

This week's painting and decorating is nearly done..yippeeddoo!

Seems we need a bit of heat transfer around the world? Just shuffle politicians it moves the hot air around.

Told yesterday our internal flight in oz (Adelaide to Sydney) has been put back an hour - is this a regular thing in Oz???

Have a great pre POETS day..

Barry O

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Told yesterday our internal flight in oz (Adelaide to Sydney) has been put back an hour - is this a regular thing in Oz???

It can be.  Same as it can be anywhere else.  At least you know in advance.

Many domestic flights are operated by aircraft on pretty tight schedules and often flying between the major eastern cities Brisbane - Sydney - Canberra - Melbourne - Adelaide with sometimes only 30 minutes on the ground at each so if one drops due to a maintenance problem and another can't be slotted in straight away there can be knock-on delays.

There can also be air traffic management issues just as happens anywhere else.    Sydney and Melbourne airports in particular can be very busy at certain times of day.  The Melbourne - Sydney route alone supports up to three flights an hour at busy times for example.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Cold and grey, misty, but with a little lightening in the sky here and there, and almost a hint of blue. More, please.

Yesterday grey cat Chevron was off his food, lay in the basket and moped (that's a verb not a noun) but purred if I approached. Last thing at night, he decided to go out. Has returned today in apple-pie order, noshing breakfast in no time. Now asleep on my lap, inhibiting typing. OTOH, his fat brother Cooper wandered indoors very slowly this morning, didn't want to eat. Sigh.

Hope your day goes well.