The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Strange thing is if you scroll out on Deb's map it shows Grenada as just above Scarborough.  Don't remember that last time I was there...............................

They got fed-up with all the negative publicity and relocated!

41eJrW--FlL.jpg

• Like 5

Computers - bah!  The really worrying thing is I am considered knowledgeable about such things in the team.....doesn't say much for the others.

Run off my feet with tasks from the inspection currently - the agenda remains hidden but clear, if you get my drift!

Caribbean - only been to Bonaire - an oil tank farm surrounded by rock and nothing else!  Not really the Caribbean now I think about it - Dutch Antilles?

Yes Neil, Dutch Antilles which comprise Bonaire, Aruba and Curacao. Shell had a huge plant on Curacao in the 60's & 70's which was where we used to load all manner of oil products for anywhere coastal on the North American continent. It was worse than various posts about Canvey Island - by a long way!

Sounds like you don't need computer distractions at the moment!

PIR board bought and now in garage but weather not conducive to having the door open and I won't cut or trim it until I can do it in fresh air. I will be fitting a thin plywood edging strip but the board cuts must be true to accept that.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Engage rant mode

Today's post contained a missive from NHS Direct (Alert Level 1) located in Milton Keynes (Alert Level 2) telling me that I had recently booked a hospital appointment (correct) but that their records showed I had cancelled it (Alert Level 3, total nonsense).  So I duly rang NHS Direct (possibly a mistake on my part), gave the person who answered it my Booking Reference Number (once I could understand what he was saying) and was asked for my Password - told him I hadn't got it.

So he then said that he couldn't do anything without the password.  I duly informed him that the reference number applied to an appointment I had attended almost two weeks ago and that I objected to NHS Direct wasting its time, my time, and my money sending me irrelevant letters and would he please note accordingly.  I sincerely hope that the call was 'recorded for training purposes' - bunch of time wasting, tax wasting, idiots who could easily trace back through the appointment number exactly what happened, viz I booked an appointment (online), it was made (and never cancelled), I attended, the receptionist 'clicked' my presence on her PC.

Doesn't matter what sort of system you 'puter programming type folks have written - it still doesn't necessarily take account of the human element and RIRO at the hands of a human.

Rant mode off.

Afternoon all,

Engage rant mode

Today's post contained a missive from NHS Direct (Alert Level 1) located in Milton Keynes (Alert Level 2) telling me that I had recently booked a hospital appointment (correct) but that their records showed I had cancelled it (Alert Level 3, total nonsense).  So I duly rang NHS Direct (possibly a mistake on my part), gave the person who answered it my Booking Reference Number (once I could understand what he was saying) and was asked for my Password - told him I hadn't got it.

So he then said that he couldn't do anything without the password.  I duly informed him that the reference number applied to an appointment I had attended almost two weeks ago and that I objected to NHS Direct wasting its time, my time, and my money sending me irrelevant letters and would he please note accordingly.  I sincerely hope that the call was 'recorded for training purposes' - bunch of time wasting, tax wasting, idiots who could easily trace back through the appointment number exactly what happened, viz I booked an appointment (online), it was made (and never cancelled), I attended, the receptionist 'clicked' my presence on her PC.

Doesn't matter what sort of system you 'puter programming type folks have written - it still doesn't necessarily take account of the human element and RIRO at the hands of a human.

Rant mode off.

It doesn't surprise me in the least - having heard a report on Today(Radio4) this morning that some ridiculous Number/Percentage of European People - which includes us-lot - are unable to read - I get the impression that a considerable number are employed as jobsworths in the call-centre industry! Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

I've had the "you did not attend" letter a few times  The local hospital's system was ridiculous, they would cancel appointments and then send a letter saying if you didn't attend the next appointment you would be discharged. 

One of the GP BiLs said hospital appointment errors take up a considerable amount of his time sorting them out for his patients.

Tony

I don't suppose they have to look at it! 

Which castle is it DD?

Pete

Denbigh Castle - probably not the best view!

I once ran a spoof for people to vote:

a) Put a new roof on the Castle

b ) A new International Airport to serve the town

c) A new Harbour.

Edited for self motivated smiley: b)

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A good result the afternoon.  a new cable for my end of the reclining setee was delivered and after turning the thing upside down and puzzling for a few minutes I worked out how to fit it.   I can now recline in comfort again.  Even less modelling will be done as it will be so eay to fall asleep after tea again.  The lack of the recliner has been a major quality of life issue.   I even found 30p a pencil and a coaster in the process.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

GROAN!! Well, the intense cold weather final got me/us :(

Didn't post yesterday as we were on the road getting home - temp was about -25 - -20 the entire drive through Minnesota.

Next door neighbor tends our cat (Bob, yep, that's his name :) ) while we're gone, and had been in around 9AM to feed and change his water yesterday, all OK at that time...

We got in at about 3PM to not running water in the house and found the main water pipe had "finally had enough of the awful cold weather and had frozen", had a 1 inch split in it - THANKFULLY, still frozen so no water in the house.

Spent the next couple of hours cutting out about 2ft. of pipe plus secondary shutoff valve (right where the water froze in the pipe), and additional valve to outside faucets, and effecting replacement/repair, including a TON more insulation where the pipe enters the house - BAH HUMBUG! !@#!@$#^! !&@$%!&@%$ etc., etc.

On the bright side we did enjoy our few days away - but by time for bed I felt like I needed another vacation, my back ached and I had the obligatory skinned knuckles from all that sort of work...

• RMweb Gold

.........a return of Justinian Plague could wipe out half the world's population

Wasn't he last year's X factor winner?

Didn't think his singing was that bad.

Debs,

do you still have that stripey beach suit.

It looks rather fetching!

My kite`s never flew like that one!.......... :no:

I seem to recall spending hours running about the beach ploughing the sand with it, rather than it soaring upto the Heavens upon gossamer-wings. :beee:

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just caught up and saying hello - commiserations to those with ailments and housing problems of all sorts.

Just discovered that BiL was taken to hospital at the weekend, with a pancreatic infection, and was in A&E from about 1am on Sunday morning, until 3pm the same day before being admitted for tests etc - that does seem rather a long time, even by the NHS's current standards, but at least they got a diagnosis, and he's been allowed home now. 

Apart from that, I've got one or two issues which might mean I'm not about for a day or two while I spend some time addressing them.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

My kite`s never flew like that one!.......... :no:

I seem to recall spending hours running about the beach ploughing the sand with it, rather than it soaring upto the Heavens upon gossamer-wings. :beee:

My father always said he would make a box-kite for me. Never did though!

This is what it looked like Monday morning at -26C after the blizzard - lovely bright morning, and doesn't even "look" cold! :)

post-20244-0-91832400-1391024026_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Evenin all, just to try and warm you up a bit, my GF sent a couple of pics from Blue Springs State Park in Florida where it was 75F yesterday,  mind you she never said what the fate of the two guys in the canoe was......

Now maybe this evening I might just find 30 minutes before bed time to do a bit more modelling. 

till the Morning, 

Nite, 

Trev.

post-4282-0-43433800-1391026253.jpg

post-4282-0-30683800-1391026331.jpg

• Like 6