The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Sadly nobody at the garage wants to say much to me anymore, left hanging on for six minutes before being cut off yesterday, ring back to be told she isn't there not in her office today..... bet someone appears if I walk in carrying a letter saying I do not want their car anymore. This looks like pis* poor pre sales support what happens when it needs a service?

• RMweb Gold

Sadly nobody at the garage wants to say much to me anymore, left hanging on for six minutes before being cut off yesterday, ring back to be told she isn't there not in her office today..... bet someone appears if I walk in carrying a letter saying I do not want their car anymore. This looks like pis* poor pre sales support what happens when it needs a service?

We had a couple of Renaults and the sales experience was appalling but the service was excellent. Is it a Citroen you are getting to replace the Vauxhall. Before I bought the Land Rover I was looking at many vehicles. Only Land Rover and Volkswagen seemed bothered about trying to sell me something and the Citroen dealer seemed almost depressed at the thought of arranging a test drive. I was surprised as in the past I recalled car sales people as being quite enthusiastic. When Aditi was looking for a replacement for the Renault she was very impressed with the local Ford dealer who had basically ignored me. Perhaps I don't look like a serious customer!

• Like 1

Nowadays I always buy new cars from the lot. If they do not have the specs I want I either go elsewhere or wait until they pull one in from somewhere else. Never hand over any money until you have checked the actual car out.

I learnt from my Mother who ordered and paid cash for a new BMC/BL car in 1970 and when it came in it had several paint flaws (oversprays). She never settled the dispute to her satisfaction and it taught me a lesson.

Funnily enough I watched a TV program the other day about the mighty Walenius Ro-Ro's that bring cars from Europe to the East Coast at Elizabeth Seaport. The Captain mentioned that even with the brand new cars he carried (that were Jaguars, BMW's and Bentley's) there were always a significant number that leaked oil and or other fluids over his pristine decks causing all sorts of hazards....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't seen goat on the menu in this part of Essex but Aditi has said it is served in many restaurants near her places of work in east London (East Ham, Stratford). They have had office outings to some Caribbean (food not location) restaurants.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Don't think I ever cooked at home when I lived around East Ham / Stratford / Manor Park areas.  Too many good quality (and cheap) Indian establishments.  They've nearly all gone now along with that entire community, replaced by various Afro-Caribbean peoples.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

Sent to me from a restaurant in Westcliff.

" One week to go til Chinese New Year..Lets celebrate the year of horse with us along with A delicious 3 course meal."

The horse menu is so last year!

• RMweb Premium

" One week to go til Chinese New Year..Lets celebrate the year of horse with us along with A delicious 3 course meal."

Which reminds me of this delicacy found in a local shop recently

IMG_0027_zpsa61ec70b.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't think I ever cooked at home when I lived around East Ham / Stratford / Manor Park areas.  Too many good quality (and cheap) Indian establishments.  They've nearly all gone now along with that entire community, replaced by various Afro-Caribbean peoples.

Aditi works in the London Borough of Newham and it is quite a diverse area. The predominant population amongst the Asian demographic seem to be Bangladeshi now. She hasn't found an Indian restaurant yet but her definition of Indian would probably exclude most businesses trading as Indian restaurants (and why go out for something you can cook at home!). 

Leicester where Matthew is at university is quite famous for its South Asian cuisine but the only place he found that cooks like NaniJi (Granny) or MummyJi was the food served at the Sikh temple. Matthew's final year dissertation is about health issues in  the Sikh and Hindu communities in Leicester. I think he chose a topic where he was likely to get fed while interviewing people,

• RMweb Premium

Time was when you could walk from Stratford Broadway to East Ham Town Hall (via Plashet Grove, West Ham Lane or Romford Road as you chose) and never be beyond sight nor smell of an Indian restaurant / takeaway.  Mostly northern cuisine but with a stronghold of southern around Forest Gate.  The local languages were Urdu, Sylheti, Hindi, Gujerati or Punjabi.  English as a first language was almost unknown.  

Populations shift.  Times change.  The world moves on.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps we could get a well know supermarket chain to sponsor some celebrations.

Jamie

• Like 1

Morning all, chilly but not as bad as last night when we had freezing rain for a while, how do I know trip to shop had to be delayed until the windscreen was cleared. Phoned up the garage yesterday we are supposed to be picking up new car on Wednesday ' Oh it won't be here until end of February' I might have criticised Vauxhall but at least the car was ready when they said it would be. Under promise and overdeliver is the maxim for good feedback so far zilch out of ten.

Are they trying to emulate Hornby?? <ducking>

Morning :)

Already -4 here and headed for 2 in a couple of hours! So it'll be a 26 degree change since last night at 10PM when it was -24. Talk about a rollercoaster.

Latest news from daughter is that there's a blizzard watch (one level below warning!!) for Grand Forks from 3PM, so we may be driving the last hour or so in very dodgy weather.

The last real place to "stop" before Grand Forks is Fargo (yep, of the movie fame, if it made it over there...), so we may find a watering hole there if the weather turns for the worse and see if it improves in an hour or two, which it's supposed to do. Just expected to be a brief 3 hour window of poor weather/visibility, we'll see!

Wish we could leave now and beat it but I need to work until at least noon...

Hope everyone has some time to get some modelling in this weekend - cheers.

A'noon all,

A quick flying visit to ER's waiting room before cooking duties commence... I took a few more pics of the Cooper S yesterday, behold... we have lights!

post-7638-0-10079700-1390576152.jpg

While I was there the chaps were shuffling some cars around to get the next job into the spray booth, including four very loud TVRs... the 'music' was fabulous, I think I've gone deaf in both eye balls...

post-7638-0-85386400-1390576315_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-86514600-1390576364_thumb.jpg

Hope all's well folks... ;)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Already -4 here and headed for 2 in a couple of hours! So it'll be a 26 degree change since last night at 10PM when it was -24. Talk about a rollercoaster.

Latest news from daughter is that there's a blizzard watch (one level below warning!!) for Grand Forks from 3PM, so we may be driving the last hour or so in very dodgy weather.

The last real place to "stop" before Grand Forks is Fargo (yep, of the movie fame, if it made it over there...), so we may find a watering hole there if the weather turns for the worse and see if it improves in an hour or two, which it's supposed to do. Just expected to be a brief 3 hour window of poor weather/visibility, we'll see!

Forget the work and go now safety should be paramount.

Don

Jeez, You're warmer than we are! 10f (-12C) with persistent NW winds.

More snow tomorrow.

Pure joy.

Have to burn some more carbon.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I had a conversation earlier with Aditi "Do you think that tree...?", and she finished the sentence "... is leaning slightly. Yes I thought so too!"

One of the remaining leylandii looks a little less upright. It hasn't been windy here but it has been very wet. I think it may go over if we have any breezy weather. It isn't leaning towards my house or any of my nice neighbours property just its owners!

• Like 5