The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I have a DBS liveried 66 approaching on the stone (one of only 5 repainted out of the 250 EWS stock) - so something of interest, but the band of rain sweeping across the country is also heading my way, and both are due to arrive at about the same time, so fingers crossed the 66 gets here first.

I went to Eccles Road although the heavens had opened ...

(23 January 2014)

First this passed

Notice the rain, especially where the headlights pick out the drops

158777 on 1R82, 10:57, Norwich - Liverpool Lime Street

post-6662-0-05928600-1390479275_thumb.jpg

I was expecting a poor shot but fortunately the rain eased a little for

66152, Derek Holmes, Railway Operator, on 6L39, 06:37, Mountsorrel Sidings - Trowse Redland Yard Siding - loaded stone

post-6662-0-44421600-1390479347_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

:scratchhead: I came upon a door last week marked 'Lift'..............

......`nearly did myself a mischief! :mosking:

I once encountered a waitress in a restaurant wearing a name badge saying Pat.  She nearly did me a mischief  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

The 'find the x' answer would have been praised at my school.

Mostly for courage.

"You're a moron, DD!

What are you?"

"A moron, sir".

Been there done that!  Where is your homework Binns I haven't done it Sir SLAP Sit down boy I didn't carry a Lee-Enfield rifle across north africa so etc etc

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, just read back through a couple of pages, interesting as ever.

This retirement lark is going well, busier than ever, first time in my life I've ever needed a diary. With no domestic management structure apart from me I can truly please myself now, possibly for the first time ever.

I'm enjoying life at Southall helping to maintain the mainline engines there, we've been joined by Nunney Castle now - it really is inspiring when you go into the place and there's 70000 and 4464 on the left and 5029 and 34046 on the right - magnificent machines. Always something to do on them, it's steam fitter's paradise.

Looking at the photos above I'll have to take the camera next time I go there, it's an interesting place for the modern day train spotter. As well as the usual HSTs, Heathrow electrics and various modern day dmus rattling by there is quite a variety of freight to be seen, 60s on oil trains, 59s belonging to various companies, heritage 47s and 33s as well as the ubiquitous 66s in a variety of liveries as well.

Ah well, spot of lunch and a cappucino then up to do a bit of modelling I think.

Take care 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I can't remember much about my school reports (probably a psychological blotting out) but I did set a school record in an end of term Latin exam by achieving the lowest mark ever recorded - 7%, which I am sure will amuse those of you who know my surname :jester:   My knowledge of French was also regarded by the teaching staff as fairly atrocious so it was an interesting situation to be in when 40 years later I was having to make 'phone calls in that language for work purposes (but by then I did see a young lady once a week for a private French lesson - no sniggers at the back there),

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, just read back through a couple of pages, interesting as ever.

This retirement lark is going well, busier than ever, first time in my life I've ever needed a diary. With no domestic management structure apart from me I can truly please myself now, possibly for the first time ever.

I'm enjoying life at Southall helping to maintain the mainline engines there, we've been joined by Nunney Castle now - it really is inspiring when you go into the place and there's 70000 and 4464 on the left and 5029 and 34046 on the right - magnificent machines. Always something to do on them, it's steam fitter's paradise.

Looking at the photos above I'll have to take the camera next time I go there, it's an interesting place for the modern day train spotter. As well as the usual HSTs, Heathrow electrics and various modern day dmus rattling by there is quite a variety of freight to be seen, 60s on oil trains, 59s belonging to various companies, heritage 47s and 33s as well as the ubiquitous 66s in a variety of liveries as well.

Ah well, spot of lunch and a cappucino then up to do a bit of modelling I think.

Take care 

4464?

Is this a new build?

I thought that the 44xx series only went up as far as 4410? :angel:

Adams442T, on 23 Jan 2014 - 11:30, said:snapback.png

The only one I remember was a somewhat ambiguous statement, "This boy goes through life pushing doors marked pull."  

I'm still not sure what he meant, 

A couple I remember are " His men would follow him anywhere - if only to see what F*****g stupid thing he'd do next!"  and  "This NCO should not be left in charge of himself, let alone a body of men" and

" This man has more than sufficient ability to reach the nadir of human progress"

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

4464?

Is this a new build?

I thought that the 44xx series only went up as far as 4410? :angel:

No, a proper 44xx! LNER A4 4464 Bittern in Garter Blue complete with side skirts, which makes life interesting when you're trying to work on anything under the running plate.

I can't remember much about my school reports (probably a psychological blotting out) but I did set a school record in an end of term Latin exam by achieving the lowest mark ever recorded - 7%, which I am sure will amuse those of you who know my surname

Mike Corleone? Sounds too familiar...

Best, Pete.

....A colleague did write that a student (or pupil as they were then called) set himself a low standard and failed to achieve it. That didn't get through the vetting/checking.

Pity. I think that it would do many students good to hear, for a change, a really frank evaluation of themselves. One doesn't want to return to the days of <"iD you're talking in class" "yessir" "is it anything important iD?" "nossir" "hold out your hand iD" "yessir"... WHACK... "and 100 lines I will NOT talk in class, sit down boy"> but I think we also need to move away from the politically correct <little Nigel needs to be able to restrain his physicality with other students> (translation: the littlle thug has hospitalised 3 kids and a teacher).

Seriously, I think that whilst one shouldn't discourage ambition and enthusiasm, it needs to be tempered by realism (so no more, "Of course Jamie, everyone agrees you'll grow up to be the English football team's first one-legged Captain")

iD

p.s. Aren't pupil and student supposed to be different? I thought that it is pupils go to school and students go to University