The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Polly, let me know if you actually do want to use it and I'll e-mail a better image.

Thanks, DD, though I initially imagined all of us clamoring for your pic as it is so evocative.

As you so kindly offer, I would be most grateful of a copy.

I'll pm you.

Polly

[in more sensible mode :mosking:  ]

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Near here an estate of new homes was built on a flood escape area.

They flooded in the first winter.

Did heads roll?

Not in my lifetime.

And if it's not on a flood plain, they choose the bog.  That's why there aren't houses on there already.  Doesn't that say something?

:scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Morning, not so much low skies as high sea here, it is absolutely bucketing it down.  Mrs NHN off walking friend's dogs (they're back from Kiwi tomorrow, thank crunchie) so she will be rather damp when she berths.

A day of shopping and house cleaning (for the friends - they have been away a month) and car waking up fun, although I did move them in mid holiday to prevent stuck brakes.

No Groudle tomorrow either as we will be collecting said friends form Ronaldsway Airport (no through connection to Hull) at some point, when they make it!

As for Hull, NHN's big brother went to Uni there, which says more about him than Hull I fear.  He does know a lot about radar though.  Just not much else.....

Love the Trough shot, one of our favourite places in the UK, and little known to those outside of Lancashire.  Magical countryside.

When I went to Hull it was to accompany our daughter to interview - by train from Bangor.  That was a day and a half but quite liked the place. Maybe I was hoodwinked by the Christmas lights in town.  Only caught a glimpse of the docks, though. 

• RMweb Gold

I think the only thing that will stop a couple of developments round here will be the sudden discovery of rare bees or a previously unknown colony of European Hamsters. Even Eric Pickles was overturned! I'm not against new housing as such but the plans indicate that apart from a token few affordable homes most will be of a type that there is already a surplus in the area. The one nearest us was, we were informed, going to improve the local transport infrastructure to take account of the new housing. This turned out to be funding for an electronic sign at the bus-stop!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all!

Another day at work for me I'm afraid - the last 2 days have been so busy. I'm hoping today is quieter, it seems so at the moment but things may change (and often do!). Needless to say, I've been playing on my new keyboard a lot when I get home from work at 11pm. It just sounds and feels beautiful. It's hard to explain how much better it is, best just to know that it is!

I've also got to babysit when I get home from work tonight which will drain my time even further. I think I need to ask the boss for at least one more day off in the week, 6 days just leaves nothing for me.

I am reminded that churches never flood so always buy a house at the same level or higher than your local church.

Of course, developers want to erect as many as they can at the lowest possible cost so on one hand, there is a nearby development which in parts has 35 units per hectare and the site has to be elevated to get it above the level of an existing EA Flood Risk 3 plain whilst another developer wants to concrete over 21 Hectares to build 500 houses which will cause yet more surface water run off to be directed into the first site.

Rearrange the following words to describe our LPA and money-grabbing developers and farmer: 

asylum, charge, of, the, are, The, in, idiots

• Like 2

Light snow at present. Could be sub-zero for a couple of weeks from next Tuesday.

Sunrise: 07:17am

Sunset: 4:59pm

Daylight length: 9hrs 41mins 57secs.

Weather fairly normal in my experience for this time of year. Usually last week in January, first week in February temperatures struggle to reach 0C.

Funny thing is that every single met site lists our "average" temperature much higher. I wonder why?

It's Winter, it might snow some times...

Best, Pete.

Last I heard, just after 7, they were through security - and Sherry was very pleased with the way she'd been inspected. Her resurfaced hip gives a positive on the scanner, so she always asks for a personal search, which despite being conducted by a female can still be very unpleasant and invasive, she finds. Today's lady was charm itself, apparently, and Sherry made sure her supervisor was told that, too. The Scots contingent will be pleased to hear Sherry was tucking into porage in the Departure Lounge!

Have booked my tickets for a trip to the UK in mid-March, and also visited the LM circuit to collect my annual Members' review of the race, including a lavish book and DVD.

I had a 'dynamic hip screw' fitted about 7 years ago, following a fractured hip. This immediately doubled my scrap value. However, when I went through airport scanners, I was surprised that it didn't register. My son left a couple of coins in his pocket, and set off the machine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be fair to 'ull, my (and big bruv's) knowledge is from the 70's!  I went to Liverpool, and that is rather a different place compared to the mid 70's now.

As for flooding....we found out after buying our new build house that the local pond in a field was where we now have our garage/railway room.  We had the ground levels reduced around the house with a slope away towards the garage (50 feet away) and fitted a float pump in a little well surrounded by a soakaway sort of thing which pumps back into the house drains.  It all works well, and if we ever black out as a result of flooding I do have a small generator!  However the lawn is bog force 8 as I saw someone say!

• Like 3

Afternoon All,

I didn't get on this morning - having got up quite a bit later than usual.  We went into town for a haircut, and also to get some biometric passport photos taken for the little guy, whose passport is once again up for renewal.  I then came home and grappled with the gov.uk website (the British Consulate don't do passports anymore) and now have all the forms ready for signature, counter signature and I am 101 quid worse off!

The weather has been quite passable today - still too warm for the time of year, but at least grey has given way to blue skies and sunshine.

• RMweb Premium

Sad moment.  I just noticed that the 'word game a new new' thread was started by Smudgeloco.  Smudge/Michael was an English guy who lived in the States who I 'knew' quite well via one of the US Model Railroad forums and even exchanged some odds and sods with.  He passed away a couple of years ago after bravely fighting the big C, and was a smashing bloke.

Life, eh.

• RMweb Premium

We are off to Skipton once I can find the car...

Did you get there, and if you did was Drake and Macefield on your list of "must visits" - first stop for me when I get into the town centre.

Afternoon All

Dd - were you there today - should have popped coastwards and looked in for a beer or a cuppa.

Been tied up all day with a major task so not been able to visit until now. 

Not a great deal to report, but for those who might be wondering...

post-103-0-65826300-1390064773_thumb.jpg

Oh, the fire's gone out - must shoot.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 10

Afternoon :)

So thought I'd show you what -8 but really SUNNY after 6 inches of snow overnight looks like here...

First up - view of the garage and driveway, note the 6 inch tracks in the snow, the "CFO" already headed out for some fun outing with great-niece, streets have been plowed and you'd hardly skip a beat getting somewhere/anywhere (except our driveway!!)

post-20244-0-58278600-1390069761.jpg

Next up - view from the corner, to "try" and show the present snow accumulation, note bottom-left corner of picture, that's the street after it's been plowed, and the front yard (garden) under who know how much snow cover...

post-20244-0-37988500-1390069854.jpg

Me - Hell, I'm going nowhere in this - I'm soldering droppers in the peace and quite of the basement (train room) :senile:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

That's the only one who is not me......I put it up from time to time to see who recognizes the geezer (RIP).....

Best, Pete.

I didn't know but I do now. Google image search is very clever!

• RMweb Gold

Locomotive query coming up. I'm not sure if it should go in Prototype or Modelling and I suspect if I did I'd get some derisory answers so I'll ask in the relative safety of ERs!

Over the years I had Princess Royal locos in BR black, BR lined green and the present one is maroon. I have various colour photos in books of Duchess of this and City of that in maroon. I may be going loopy but I'm sure the loco that pulled the train I went to Scotland in the early 60s was maroon. So did the painting of engines maroon, begin at the end of the blood and custard coach period and was it restricted to former LMS "big" engines or specific sheds or whatever? I have tried searching on the internet and information on why and when this happened seems to have eluded me!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

That's kind, Stewart but the pic was taken a while ago.

No Dd - the picture was actually taken yesterday - the chair is where she sits and the vantage point is where my PC is - so often the pictures can (and do) apear similar.  She's currently eating a crisp bag that she's filched, so if I can get a good shot, I'll post it.

post-103-0-24807800-1390074156_thumb.jpg

Tony - the Duchesses were (post 1948) in Green or Maroon with yellow lining - I have the details in a book somewhere (where, I don't quite know, as I have been forced to split my railway book collection between four locations now, and the have to be stored by size rather than content as many of them are too big for a conventional bookcase - but in one on ex LMS steam (but not one that I can find) there is a table of numbers, liveries, and dates.  I know that towards the end of steam, I saw both variants working on Beattock, and on the G&SWR main line.

Hope that helps a little - one of tomorrow's tasks does include some work on the books, so I may strike lucky - if so, I'll post the answer.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Been a pretty dreadful day here, rain coming down in bucketfulls. We have to move off this site for a couple of days so are going to Baltic Wharf in Bristol.

That looks a nice place Ian

My uncle used to live in Clyst St Mary near Exeter. The Clyst ran along the back of the gardens and the field the other side across to the M5 was a flood plain. A high wall had been built along the back of the gardens to stop the flood going that way. Neighbours were not impressed when a new arrival removed the wall the the rear of his garden to improve the view. Can you sue a neight for damages due to his stupidity?

Don