The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Also, my Laptop has somehow managed to pick up some malware which has resulted in my getting a load of adverts and the like every time I visit a website - I have just run a full scan of the PC with AVG and it has picked up a couple of threats which it has removed - so here's hoping.  

Regards to All

Stewart

Hi

nice to hear from you again. If the AVG doesn't clear it try installing and running Malwarebytes. 

Hi

nice to hear from you again. If the AVG doesn't clear it try installing and running Malwarebytes. 

Those two tools are IMHO some of the best available, and fix 99.5% of the problems I've ever run across on many, many systems...

Malwarebytes, especially, is a must use on a regular basis for anyone running Windoze (Winblows..) etc., :)

ID my comments were not about the efforts made to test drugs initially. They all come with information on likely side effects which makes it all the more odd when doctors/consultants make comments like;

Oh that's a new one on me

I dont think it would have that effect

these on effects clearly listed. Couple this with the doctor changing the medication but failing to make a note of the side effect.

I do not consider that to be professional.

Don

Certainly sloppy.

A good friend of mine is dealing with being post-lung cancer surgery and the tales he tells me about the doctors and staff he encounters do not impress. He was on the 'phone to me recently, talking about a recent encounter he had with a consultant. For the first time in what seems ages, he told me, he was amazed that he was seen by someone capable of joined up thinking... Without getting political, and from the outside looking in, the NHS is deteriorating and money is only a small part of it. Much of what my friend tells me about are things that cost pennies to do properly (if that much)... You'd think that a GP that had never seen a particular patient before would do more than give a cursory perusal of the notes..... Good medical and nursing care is driven by attitude and mind-set ("calling" if you will), money although it helps, is secondary (and I've been there and done that...)

The Stationmaster commented upon me "not" thinking outside the box... and then promptly suggested Manchester. It's not that I have anything against Manchester, but it's the other side of the country. If you were to visit me in Basel, I wouldn't tell you to fly into Lugano (well, not unless I knew you'd enjoy a 4 hour SBB journey).

I've done some choir singing, fun. Although it really helps if you can read music (if I've heard a piece I can follow the music on the page). Mrs iD thinks I have a lovely voice, I don't, 'nuff said!

• RMweb Gold

Thinking it was a good job Ashcombe travelled yesterday http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-25757256 - hope they got away OK.

Last I heard, just after 7, they were through security - and Sherry was very pleased with the way she'd been inspected. Her resurfaced hip gives a positive on the scanner, so she always asks for a personal search, which despite being conducted by a female can still be very unpleasant and invasive, she finds. Today's lady was charm itself, apparently, and Sherry made sure her supervisor was told that, too. The Scots contingent will be pleased to hear Sherry was tucking into porage in the Departure Lounge!

Have booked my tickets for a trip to the UK in mid-March, and also visited the LM circuit to collect my annual Members' review of the race, including a lavish book and DVD.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry about that sort of thing - I know an auction where you can get all that sparkly sort of stuff nice and cheap.  

I am under very strict orders from Aditi never ever to buy jewellery for her. She likes my opinion if she is buying any (which is an extremely rare event anyway) but I think she likes the process of choosing. 

• RMweb Gold

Sadly I cannot reconcile a City of Culture with Lord "Bruiser" Prescott.    :scratchhead:

Fair comment - but no less likely than the idea of Glasgow, City of Culture some years back, yet home of the "kiss"! Cities have multiple personalities in my experience.

• RMweb Premium

I shall choose to ignore digs at civil servants today - unless some one wants to deal with our young offenders in my place.... :jester:   S' Ok guys, I know you don't mean the rank and file, just the Sir Humphreys, but we're all lumped together! :beee:

Ian A, 20 miles!!  I'd get very wet if I drove that far...... :O

• RMweb Premium

From what you have told us Dominik, it seems that your easing into teaching is somewhat gentler in Germany than the "in at the deep end" approach, which can only be a good thing.

I can only go from what I've been told about British teacher training as well, but TBH, there's a big lot of the deep end jump element in our system as well! :O

• RMweb Gold

Hull beat Leicester, Dundee and Swansea Bay to become City of Culture 2017 so it must have something to offer. I've only ever been to the edge of town when I was very significantly diverted on a trip to Leeds as a result of major motorway mayhem!

• RMweb Gold

Hull beat Leicester, Dundee and Swansea Bay to become City of Culture 2017 so it must have something to offer. I've only ever been to the edge of town when I was very significantly diverted on a trip to Leeds as a result of major motorway mayhem!

Stiff competition that wasn't :jester:

I've said before and I'll say again that there are a lot of hard-working and very effective civil servants. Sadly, there are some who bring the hard work of the majority into disrepute. In the private sector they would be dismissed or their company would go under, in the Civil Service these bad apples seem bullet-proof regardless of complaints made against them.

• RMweb Premium

Fair comment - but no less likely than the idea of Glasgow, City of Culture some years back, yet home of the "kiss"! Cities have multiple personalities in my experience.

The best that I had re Glasgow's accolade is that I was taking a taxi from Glasgow airport into the city centre when the year was about to start, and the driver summed it up in inimitable Glasgow approach - "aye Glesca Eurof**ckin' city of f**ckin' culture - sh1te"

And thanks to all for the kindly welcome back messages and advice re the malware - unfortunately, I don't think that it is malware within the letter of the law - but I have a lad who is a computer buff and who will come and have a look for a small consideration (as I tutored him and his brother into the delights of the Scottish nectar over the last few years.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thinking it was a good job Ashcombe travelled yesterday http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-25757256 - hope they got away OK.

Apparently while Gatwick was prepared and up and running - the aircrew were held up by the floods! Sherry seems to have flown in a 787, which I think is the Dreamliner with battery issues, apparently now resolved or they wouldn't be flying. Whatever, she is safely in the W Indies, where P&O are doing a good job, I hear.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Somewhat overcast here and still a little smoke in the air but mercifully COOL at just 25C.  The house was open all night - doors and windows wide with the lockable fly-screens for security.  Not familiar with fly-screens?  Watch an episode of Neighbours ;)  It will take a day or so for the house to give back all the heat it's accumulated in the past week of 40+ daytimes and 30-degree nights.  It will take a couple of hours to launder the bedding and thoroughly shower the Gwiwer.

One life lost in the fires this time around and the big Grampians fire is now at 43,000 hectares and counting.  Most others are under control.

787 is the Dreamliner (or Plastic Pig as I've heard a few airline people call them - please don't recycle jargon already in use for class 442 EMUs) but we shall be on the humble A380 Airbus for our jaunt over there in late summer.  Emirates now fly them into Gatwick as well as Heathrow meaning we can hop straight on the "Front 4 cars for Littlehampton".  I've clocked touchdown to boarding the train in as little as 20 minutes there; not bad when one also has to navigate immigration.  It can take that to taxi in at Heathrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are other good things in Hull:

1  The ferry to Rotterdam

2  The ferry to Zeebrugge

3 The M62 to Leeds and Manchester 

and - if the money is right ...there will be..

4   An ex Aircraft Carrier

As well as a bridge to Lincolnshire

plus a good University, an interesting shopping centre and some decent pubs....

• RMweb Premium

Managed my first 30 minute spell on the exercise bike tonight just over 15km, 350 calories and a pulse of about 132. My recovery rate came out at F6 which is assessed as poor! It is below totally unfit, so I think a week of 30 minute spells at little resistance and see how I get on. Wish my scales were more encouraging though.

• RMweb Gold

The Stationmaster commented upon me "not" thinking outside the box... and then promptly suggested Manchester. It's not that I have anything against Manchester, but it's the other side of the country. If you were to visit me in Basel, I wouldn't tell you to fly into Lugano (well, not unless I knew you'd enjoy a 4 hour SBB journey).

Well you did mention going via Heathrow as an option you'd looked at, and it's at the other end of the country - and further away than the other side ;)

Anyway today's experience with the NHS was top notch - the audiology folk at the RBH aren't in the main complex (which tends to be very complex if you don't know your way around) but are outside in a couple of fairly modern brick built buildings and several 1950s concrete sectional buildings and if you go from one bit to another you have to walk outdoors.  I don't know if it's the effect of that, or being separate from the main blocks, but the folk were great - things happened on time, my initial assessment interview/what next discussion lasted over 45 minutes and was only cut off short of an hour to fit me in for a hearing test, which had not been pre-arranged but very quickly was when the first person decided I ought to have one.

Short term potential palliative to relieve tinnitus at night was explained and demonstrated (it seemed to work) and further appointments and probably tests to be arranged.  All very impressive and no wonder they receive high satisfaction scores from patients.

• Like 1

Good morning all and especially Welcome to Ian Abel.

You do have a busy choir schedule on a Sunday but singing is FUN.

At one stage I was simultaneously involved in 4 choirs (three were for special events, so not permanent)

re the layout thread just tell it as it is with PHOTOS and you can't go wrong.

Another Summer day has dawned, clear, windless (there is a breeze) and warm with a max forecast of 25c

Also, Stewart, I hope things work out for you and stress levels reduce.

• Like 1

Morning all,   

Another work at home week-end for me,  seems that our sales people are getting very proactive......(which is a good thing?)  But does mean a **** load of work for as part of the front-end process. 

As to getting to Hull, of of my colleagues here lives pretty close to Humberside air port, normal flies in using KLM. (via Amsterdam). Christmas time though he had to go via Manchester & then catching the train.  Took I believe just over an hour..

What ever you're up to today, try and find something to smile at. 

Trev.