The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I tend to be rather sceptical about Cholesterol levels scince two froends who have had heart attacks had level recorded at about 4 which is normally considered good. Last year Marions doctor advised her level was high but as the majority was the 'good' type it was best to leave it. One of the above friends has had a lot of trouble with statins after the chemists swapped to a generic form to which he proved intolerant (possible wheat content) so now has to use a particular chemist who will still stock the original.

As I will reach 65 this year I am expecting the doctors to recommend some of these things for me personally I would prefer to rely on exercise and change of diet if necessary rather than taking medication.

Don

My GP claims that if there is one class of drugs that has made a significant impact on his practice, it's the statins. Allowing him to manage cardiovascular disease (of diverse origins) much more effectively.

One of the problems with using statins (as well as other medications) is that generics can be less effective than the original. In order to get a new drug approved, registered and marketed an awful lot of scientific and medical data has to be generated to support the new drug claims, whereas a generic drugs do not have to demonstrate any preclinical or clinical safety or efficacy data in the intended patient population but need only demonstrate bioavailability and bioequivalence to the brand-name drug.  But bioavailability and bioequivelance is only part of the equation (I remember a presentation given by a professor at a clinical pharmacology seminar where he looked at several generic versions of a widely used drug. Although theoretically bioequivelant, the data he presented showed that some were only partly absorbed after ingestion and one version managed to make it's way through the body completely untouched! [i remember the presentation well, because of this particular bit of data he showed]).

I'm not against generics per se, but I would like to see a somewhat more rigorous testing put in place for their approval.

Exercise and diet are to be heartily recommended, but if you have this misfortune to have a LDL receptor gene mutation, you'll need help. Furthermore, a combination of risk factors will also mandate medication use. Personally, I avoid taking medication as much as possible - simply because I'm a stoic and can adequately tolerate my various joint related aches and pains. But I do cave-in and take drugs when absolutely necessary (like when I sliced my finger open in the workshop, damned if I was going be sewn up without adequate local anaesthesia).

Anyway, good luck at 65

iD

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Sunny South Special, later Express, was a LNWR service from Liverpool & Manchester via Brum to Brighton & Eastbourne. It enabled a bit of loco info exchange between the LNWR and LBSCR, I think, with through running of both companies' locos between Rugby and Brighton in November 1909. ISTR Hamilton Ellis felt the Whale Precursors to be rather heavy on coal consumption, while the Brighton's I3 did rather well by comparison. It is suggested than Bowen-Cooke, having seen the effect of superheating on the I3, decided to add it to his George V locos. 

Sorry about the lapse. A sunshine and showers day has now eased off to general overcast - but I can see lightning flashes in the distance.

• RMweb Gold

After recent tests 'they' are recommending that I have statins and a daily aspirin or equivalent. I've to make an appointment with my GP to discuss this. I'm still trying to research/ look into this whole statin business. Normally I would talk it over with my own personal doctor, my brother in law, but he's still recovering from major surgery and is undergoing chemo at the moment.

I've always been erm, big boned, but to be honest I have gone to seed over the last couple of years or so and have put on weight. I haven't cycled for a couple of years which I can't believe as it is something I loved. I used to be fat but fit, now I am just fat.

• RMweb Gold

Dominik, I know what you mean! I could do with more time to sleep - not enough free time in the week to allow for sleep on top of everything else!

Today has been a very important day for me, and all because of a certain delivery i've been waiting for - my MIDI music keyboard! Sounds a bit daft, but this has absolutely made me positive that music is the way I should head career-wise. Here's what greeted me on my break from work earlier:

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/q77/s720x720/1521485_10202227958934153_1726802496_n.jpg

Which contained this (Rather large and heavy) beauty:

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1525012_10202227959254161_635636070_n.jpg

Proper hammer-action playing as per the real deal, and it has loads of fun things to go along with it like knobs and sliders and pitch wheels - how exciting!  Man I can't wait to get home from work later this evening...

Jam (super-excited of Hampshire)

(Can't get the image URL dialogue box to open, so I can't post it in-line, it may be because of terrible work internet.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Statins are very straightforward but they can have side effects although whether or not that can be exacerbated with generics I don't know (but it did happen to me with Tegretol where the  genetic had nasty side-effects and I had to go back on the 'real stuff').  I have been on statins for 13 years but last year I was getting increased incidence of leg cramp plus 'the shakes' seemed to be worsening.  So i was switched to a different statin which was better but still caused (in my view) problems and interestingly things got much better when I did my own prescribing and stopped taking it.

However when I saw the neurologist about 'the shakes' he explained what a major benefits statins are and all the rest of it (which is supported by statistics) and following a chat with another GP in the practice who I went to see about something else I restarted on the 'new' one without too much trouble.  However on a test just before Christmas I put in a high cholesterol score so my GP changed me to a third statin - which is one of the strongest - and within days the cramps returned, albeit not badly but quite frequently, and 'the shakes' have got progressively worse.  So today I have been switched back to the less side-effect inducing one and as my cholesterol was quite a good number (and I've given up the daily pork pie) the dose has also been reduced.  So fingers are now crossed for reduction in both the cramps and 'the shakes'.

Side effect on muscles is a potential problem with statins but overall the medicos seem to prefer the problems of that to having you pop off due to a heart attack or cardio-vascular troubles.

Btw I don't need aspirin, in fact I'm not allowed to take anything which contains aspirin - my daily intake of warfarin is probably enough to bump off a small colony of rats.

I would indeed like to invite everyone making that claim to spend a week in our shoes!

NO BLOODY WAY!!!!

My son is now into his third year as a second grade teacher, he absolutely LOVES it and I'm very proud of him, BUT, you are all to be admired for what you do for the childern of the world and are NUTS for doing so much work for "relatively" so little reward (moniteraly that is)...

The world needs to wake up and realise that we need to pay a LOT more to the teachers of this world and a LOT less to the bandits that purport to "work" on Wall Street (no offense to those employed there) but it IS topsy turvey, and we can add Nurses into the mix too along with teachers...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

Dominik, I know what you mean! I could do with more time to sleep - not enough free time in the week to allow for sleep on top of everything else!

Today has been a very important day for me, and all because of a certain delivery i've been waiting for - my MIDI music keyboard! Sounds a bit daft, but this has absolutely made me positive that music is the way I should head career-wise. Here's what greeted me on my break from work earlier:

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/q77/s720x720/1521485_10202227958934153_1726802496_n.jpg

Which contained this (Rather large and heavy) beauty:

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1525012_10202227959254161_635636070_n.jpg

Proper hammer-action playing as per the real deal, and it has loads of fun things to go along with it like knobs and sliders and pitch wheels - how exciting!  Man I can't wait to get home from work later this evening...

Jam (super-excited of Hampshire)

(Can't get the image URL dialogue box to open, so I can't post it in-line, it may be because of terrible work internet.)

With two built-in tellies?

Ed

• RMweb Gold

My GP claims that if there is one class of drugs that has made a significant impact on his practice, it's the statins. Allowing him to manage cardiovascular disease (of diverse origins) much more effectively.

One of the problems with using statins (as well as other medications) is that generics can be less effective than the original. In order to get a new drug approved, registered and marketed an awful lot of scientific and medical data has to be generated to support the new drug claims, whereas a generic drugs do not have to demonstrate any preclinical or clinical safety or efficacy data in the intended patient population but need only demonstrate bioavailability and bioequivalence to the brand-name drug.  But bioavailability and bioequivelance is only part of the equation (I remember a presentation given by a professor at a clinical pharmacology seminar where he looked at several generic versions of a widely used drug. Although theoretically bioequivelant, the data he presented showed that some were only partly absorbed after ingestion and one version managed to make it's way through the body completely untouched! [i remember the presentation well, because of this particular bit of data he showed]).

I'm not against generics per se, but I would like to see a somewhat more rigorous testing put in place for their approval.

Exercise and diet are to be heartily recommended, but if you have this misfortune to have a LDL receptor gene mutation, you'll need help. Furthermore, a combination of risk factors will also mandate medication use. Personally, I avoid taking medication as much as possible - simply because I'm a stoic and can adequately tolerate my various joint related aches and pains. But I do cave-in and take drugs when absolutely necessary (like when I sliced my finger open in the workshop, damned if I was going be sewn up without adequate local anaesthesia).

Anyway, good luck at 65

iD

I am usually quite willing to take something for a short period to assist the body in healing but I am not convinced that taking things long term makes sense. When you find people being asked to take something to conteract the effects of taking asprin after a heart attack and then find the drug offered increases the likelyhood of a heart attack. Something the doctor had not considered. The person concerned had been used to risk assessment as part of his proffession and pointed out that with no evicence of trouble from a recent endoscopy just propsing taking such a drug from a general recommendation was not sensible. I am also under the impression that when patients report side effects these are often not recorded by the doctors.

Don

I've always thought that to live in France requires one to be a masochist...

Of course Academie francaise is the prime example of a people both insecure yet at the same time full of pomposity. Hollande is another fine example, little tw@t full of sh$t.

Lovely countryside, though. :mail:

Best, Pete.

Good food, great wine and far fewer people than in the UK! Works for me.

Now in Gatwick Central Travelodge Cafe/Bar (We know how to live!) where there is FREE Wifi!

Many thanks for all the supportive comments and helpful advice re Reading and the Ventura. A degree of panic re our connection at Reading as we were waiting outside the station for nearly 10mins. Just made it as the whistle blew!

Feeling mellow as we begin our second bottle of wine, following a good meal of Piri Piri Chicken.

Might regret the wine when the alarm goes off at 0530!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Although I do take several drugs long term, I am not always convinced of the benefits of some things I have been on - my current GP is very good and has worked with me to improve my lot quite considerably - and you're spot on about some Dr's not recording complaints regarding side effects!  I could have rather severe words with one in my past..... :butcher:

Ventura.....isn't that a Paxman engine? #shudders# :jester:

Here's a train for a rainy day, as it doesn't look as if Debs is around to ban me!

post-10195-0-44789700-1389903024.jpg

• Like 11

Now in Gatwick Central Travelodge Cafe/Bar (We know how to live!) where there is FREE Wifi!

Many thanks for all the supportive comments and helpful advice re Reading and the Ventura. A degree of panic re our connection at Reading as we were waiting outside the station for nearly 10mins. Just made it as the whistle blew!

Feeling mellow as we begin our second bottle of wine, following a good meal of Piri Piri Chicken.

Might regret the wine when the alarm goes off at 0530!

Enjoy the wine and your trip - remember ALL you need to do in the morning is get up and be awake enough to struggle through Gatwick and stumble onto the plane for a long sleep :)

Sherry, I know that feeling!

Av. Population density per sq. Mile:

UK:  660

France: 295

USA: 80

Of course Canada's is so low it is impossible to type....

Have a great trip! Keep us informed...

Best, Pete.

• Like 1