The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening All,

My GF sent me this about Turkeys & Thanksgiving..

A little late but thanks to my friend Lois for some morning smiles:

What is sauce for the goose may be sauce for the gander but is not necessarily sauce for the chicken, the duck, the turkey or the guinea hen. — Alice B. Toklas

We’re having something a little different this year for Thanksgiving. Instead of a turkey, we’re having a swan. You get more stuffing. — George Carlin

I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There’s turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami. Some one needs to tell the turkey, ‘man, just be yourself.’ — Mitch Hedberg

I have strong doubts that the first Thanksgiving even remotely resembled the ‘history’ I was told in second grade. But considering that (when it comes to holidays) mainstream America’s traditions tend to be over-eating, shopping, or getting drunk, I suppose it’s a miracle that the concept of giving thanks even surfaces at all. — Ellen Orleans

What we’re really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving? — Erma Bombeck, No One Diets on Thanksgiving

You know that just before that first Thanksgiving dinner there was one wise, old Native American woman saying, “Don’t feed them. If you feed them, they’ll never leave.” — Dylan Brody.

Then I've got a new lodger. Moved in tonight, well on to one of the plants on the balcony!

post-4282-0-54182400-1385750217.jpg

• Like 3

I don't know if this is Universal of peculiarly South African but

"The wind is pumping"

Gusting up to 40kph in a partly cloudy, though mostly clear, sky.

Max temp predicted to be 23C today, 30 tomorrow.

Happy Saturday!

• Like 3

Good Morning all,  seems very quite on here  - even for a Saturday morning.  Dull and misty weather wise, so guess it will be quite warm later. Still it's my penultimate Saturday here this year so now the count down starts to my xmas break, I'll reveal all nearer the time! 

What ever you're up to today, try and find something to smile at, 

Trev.

• Like 1

Trev, We get giant Praying Mantis in New Jersey too. Odd when you think about it.....the only thing in common with Nigeria is that it get very hot in Summer.

How long do you intend to remain out there, working?

Btw if you listened to R4 this morning just prior to "Today" you may have gained an insight into the USA diametrically opposed to the views expressed in your previous post, I'm talking about the response by ranchers to their fellows in South Dakota who's livelihood was destroyed by tornados earlier this month.

Have a good weekend everyone..

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but dull start & 6oC - should be some bright & sunny periods today.

Kids are arriving this morning to "assist" Chris with baking etc, decorating Christmas tree & other stuff ready for a small party tomorrow.

Tonight Chris is taking us all out for a meal so all in all a pretty good an extremely good weekend is in prospect.

Have a good one,

I know I will,

Cheers :drinks:

Bob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure our Christmas tree will be in place before Christmas Eve. At least this year having crawled round the loft fitting an extractor fan last weekend I know exactly where the Christmas decorations are. 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

We asked Matthew if there was anything he would like for Christmas and he said he would really like a map you can "scratch off" countries you have visited. He is going to Mainz in a week for an editorial meeting for "European Geographer" magazine but does expect to be back before Christmas!

Tony

Quick question for Mike (or anyone, of course).

Did GWR Broad gauge reach up the Valley's of Wales? I need a reference type book outlining specific differences in GWR trackwork compared to the rest of the system in the UK and how it still affects the system? Does that make sense? I'm a total newb when it comes to West of London!

Cheers, Pete.

Another helicopter gone down (Glasgow).

Not that it's relevant but I've always hated the things.

I am lucky enough to have actually piloted three different 'copters as well as having been a passenger a few times. They are in some ways man's equivalent of a bumble bee - it simply shouldn't fly! That said, I loved flying them, they do require a strange ability to disconnect the normal coordination of you arms and legs but once you get that the achievement of controlling them is great.

From the sound of some witness reports, it could have been a catastrophic gearbox failure or the pilot would have been able to do an auto-rotational emergency landing. I have great sympathy for all affected but in case we see calls to ban helicopters over residential areas, remember that they provide a very fast way of getting casualties to hospital. The arguments about police use of such equipment I am less positive about.

Piloting a helicopter? You definitely have my admiration.....

Best, Pete.

It started on a corporate jolly Pete and then went on from there. Best one was an early Augusta Bell with the big glass bubble, used by Swiss military in this case but you may remember the tv series called Whirlybirds and of course Mash - two programs that used earlier versions of the same design.

Another helicopter gone down (Glasgow).

Not that it's relevant but I've always hated the things.

The Glasgow accident sounds horrific with talk of three fatalities too.

My only experience of being in a helicopter was in Alaska where we were lucky enough to occupy the front seats with the pilot for a trip to a glacier. Once the helicopter took off to return other passengers, I have never known such silence as on the glacier with just a few other people who were equally awestruck.

Back to reality - off to catch a bus into Torquay for Christmas shopping. It's a lovely morning here so there will good views of the sea to cheer us!

• RMweb Gold

Pete

The South Wales Railway later GWR ran along the flatter area to the south. When Brunel was consulted about the Taff Vale he recommended the smaller gauge as more suited to a line through the valley. However the Vale of Neath ran up the  Neath valley to Merthyr.

What info do you want on Broad Gauge track. The BG model railway society have a lot of info.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The Glasgow incident is now "confirmed" as 3 dead and 32 injured, some seriously

Having a day with Jill today as I'm out chasing ballast trains tomorrow, she had offered to come with me but I can't make her suffer two days foaming.

Have a good day all.

Good morning all. Heard from No.1 son (the one who lives in Cornwall). He has bought a Japanese camper van which rejoices in being called a Mazda Bongo Friendee!  His has an electric elevating roof so you can opt to sleep up in the roof or down on the re-arranged furniture. He tells me that the ones without the elevating roof are called "Bongolows" by the people who use the things.

He is collecting the van from Woking next week, so I will go down and meet him and have a look.  It occurs to me that if people from Dorking are called Dorks then people from Woking must be Woks.

Ed

Thanks, Don. That one sentence about the Taff Vale very informative.

I'm looking for a book or a site that gives the details of just how the GWR/Western trackage is unique (if at all). Obviously spacing of track where it was converted from broad gauge is one example... I'm trying to get a feel for it from a few thousand miles away..

Best, Pete.

Pete

The South Wales Railway later GWR ran along the flatter area to the south. When Brunel was consulted about the Taff Vale he recommended the smaller gauge as more suited to a line through the valley. However the Vale of Neath ran up the  Neath valley to Merthyr.

What info do you want on Broad Gauge track. The BG model railway society have a lot of info.

Don

Edited by trisonic