The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Now moved to Norfolk, Horray!!!!

Boxes everywhere (I mean everywhere).  Luckily my timber stash revealed numerous lengths of 18mm ply and mdf.  Just the job for boarding the loft.  The lost looked empty, but an old water tank and other assorted rubbish will get a ride to the tip today.

All the family will be here for the weekend (another horray)

Hope everyone else has a good weekend

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Where abouts are you Bigbee ?

Morning all,

It's very dank here today, but getting less dank as the morning progresses.

Managed another morning walk today, a bit shorter this time but I had to fight my way along a very overgrown footpath which took some time, and I have to be back for the 09:00 start of work.

Still no birds, aside from the robin in the first few minutes, have taken up my free food, but I'm patient, I know they'll need it when the weather turns and I'll be here to help them out - I've now got a frame with some water for them too, the grain type food will be here soon and yet more fat balls, so at least the birds won't go hungry for a while - I haven't got anything for me for lunch yet though.

A pair of 47s heading my way later, hopefully on time or early as the dankness will be back by the 15:30 time they are booked to pass.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Dreary, still and about 7 degrees, so cheerless.

How can you lose an On30 coach? I mean, I recall vividly it arrived from ebay, and I took it to pieces to see if any of the appalling Hawthorne Village paintjob would come off readily with IPA, but no dice. Now it's disappeared, despite being in several bits and having arrived sans box. Two successors have already passed the rattle-can primer stage, and may get a first coat of rattle-can brown before I find the original. Baffling. Yes, I do have an airbrush - but it always clogs. Noted US race commentator and former Le Mans Ferrari driver Sam Posey mentions in his book "Playing with Trains" that airbrushes always clog, so that's alright - it's not just me!

Yes, Black Friday has been mentioned in emails from a couple of slightly spurious suppliers. I suppose retail is so desperate these days that any hook to hang a hat on is deemed good enough.

Sanding the staircase took a big step forward yesterday, with purchase of a new sander - for just over £6! I'd been using a detail sander to smooth the filler I'd put in the old screw-holes from the stairlift, and now I'm giving the whole thing a light sand before painting - well, staining, really. Brave stuff by my recent DIY standards. Compare that to Debs's workshop skills if you must!

Hope your week ends on a positive note.

• RMweb Gold

A break through - the robin has been back again and a herd* of blue tits have been hanging around, I have come to the conclusion that the fat balls have dried out as the robin has a peck or two and then gives up, no worries, new supplies will be here soon.

(*what is the collective noun for blue tits ? - a brassiere ?)

• RMweb Premium

Late on parade due to:

1  painting a window prior to carpet fitting (its a long story)

2  Visiting moreasons for the weekly food shop

3  removing doors in train room to allow carpet to be fitted

4  Talking to the builder as he has finally filled in some holes left by no longer used pipes etc

Debs

like the workshop  - used to work somewhere with slightly bigger machines.  The turret casting went round and the machine stood still (This was one of the smaller machines at Vickers Leeds.. The Innocenti was huge(!).)

Barry

482975_377491425653625_68732139_n.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning (just) all,

Running late after spending the earlier part of the morning acting as a bed/backrest for Sammy and thence to Tesco to stock up on wine for the coming few weeks, some might even last 'til Christmas, plus some other oddments of shopping.  Now to have a wander around RMweb with steak sandwiches on the horizon for a daytime snack.

Have a good day one & all.

PS  I like the redacted pic Barry (or is it splashes of paint?)

• Like 2

Morning all and a Happy Thaksgiving for our US friends.

It's a very dull day at the moment, just finishing off my cup of tea and then I'll take a wander around the fields for half an hour or so - I'm trying to ensure I do this at least every day now I'm home based, it's too easy to become a couch potato otherwise, the Trowse bound stone train appears to be heading my way so, hopefully, I'll be out for that in a few hours.

Here's the tanks I photographed yesterday

27 November 2013

Great Moulton

66744, Crossrail, on 6P41, 09:57, Harwich Refinery CRS SLVS - North Walsham - condensate tanks

attachicon.gifDAS566038.jpg

Hope we all have a good day.

Dave, that's a lovely crisp image with good D of F. I would be interested to know the speed/aperture/ISO settings. As I imagine it was moving at a reasonable speed.

Back from my walk - a nice roughly 2 mile wander down the lane, across the "cow" field (where my son got chased by cows!) to Banham Zoo - yes, yes I saw Mr C Lion and Mr G Raffe - and then back down another lane, passed by a total of 3 cars on the lane part of my walk, so quite busy, whilst walking across the fields the volume of noise from the murderous crows was incredible - no wonder the farmers use the crow scarers (when it hisses put you fingers in your ears), that was bad enough never mind them eating crops.

Came across Banham zoo this Summer whilst holidaying in Suffolk. Was well-impressed, especially with the Penguins and Meerkats! Photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevewilliams7/sets/72157635183961003/

Best to view on flickr for captions or click on each photo in turn.

Edited by Steve Williams
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Came across Banham zoo this Summer whilst holidaying in Suffolk. Was well-impressed, especially with the Penguins and Meerkats! Photos here:

Yesterday mornings walk took me past the entrance, we only live a mile or so from there, you could have dropped in for a cup of tea.

Dave, that's a lovely crisp image with good D of F. I would be interested to know the speed/aperture/ISO settings. As I imagine it was moving at a reasonable speed.

Thanks.

Here's the exif info.

Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS 5D Mark III
DateTime - 2013:11:27 12:52:50
Artist - Dave Skipsey
Copyright - Copyright DAS
ExposureTime - 1/800 seconds
FNumber - 8
ExposureProgram - Shutter priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 800
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/790 seconds
ApertureValue - F 8.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
FocalLength - 98 mm
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
SceneCaptureType - Standard

It was travelling at 60mph or thereabouts.

Debs,

re your photo  of "Jane the Crane". I was pondering just how your pink welly ended up on top of the MillVision? A moment of excitement whilst milling, perhaps?

Best, Pete.

They`re kiddie`s wellies (charity shop outcasts); they`re brightly coloured and used to draw-attention and/or cushion the ends of material dangerously protruding from machine tables or in storage racking (e.g: where eye pokeage is a major-risk); being weightly and 'wubbery' they don`t "vibrate/blow-off" the ends like some commercial protection/I.D material. :boast:

• Like 5

Yesterday mornings walk took me past the entrance, we only live a mile or so from there, you could have dropped in for a cup of tea.

Thanks.

Here's the exif info.

Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS 5D Mark III
DateTime - 2013:11:27 12:52:50
Artist - Dave Skipsey
Copyright - Copyright DAS
ExposureTime - 1/800 seconds
FNumber - 8
ExposureProgram - Shutter priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 800
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/790 seconds
ApertureValue - F 8.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
FocalLength - 98 mm
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
SceneCaptureType - Standard

It was travelling at 60mph or thereabouts.

Thanks Dave. It certainly handles noise very well at 800 ISO. We were staying at Eye for a few days. I got back and realised I had left my wallet on a table outside at the zoo. Fortunately someone handed it in. What I love about the area is that there are so few people!

Edited by Steve Williams
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

PS  I like the redacted pic Barry (or is it splashes of paint?)

They were  the painted  markings for casting checks... 

At least that one was white - lots of words said when one turned up with pink paint here, there and everywhere - the test machine did not like it(!)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave. It certainly handles noise very well at 800 ISO. We were staying at Eye for a few days. I got back and realised I had left my wallet on a table outside at the zoo. Fortunately someone handed it in. What I love about the area is that there are so few people!

Even less when they see me coming !

Did you photograph the old station at Eye ?

(It's the red/white building)

http://goo.gl/maps/vhA1V

Closed - Pass 1931, Goods 1964

Very late to contribute today.

With all the talk of birds, Thanksgiving and the best way to prepare a turkey for Christmas or any other occasion, I offer this for your predilection:-

post-10142-0-10936800-1385741905.jpg

It's entitled: Turkey Chillin'!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 3