The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I may see you at Warley tomorrow then Mike. I also wonder which was the nice country road back from Tilehurst I used to know all of the roads north of Reading (plus many round other sides) as trips out on the push bike for railways then bike and car to the pubs plus walks in the woods were a big part of my youth. I think I would be tempted to go out to Pangbourne and over the toll bridge these days since they have pushed alot more traffic through cow lane bridge.

Don

The nice country road was actually on the Oxfordshire side of the river Don as Whitchurch bridge is closed until April (possibly longer) so I went up from Caversham past Chazey Heath and turned off by the The Fox (as once was) at Cane End, much nicer than going out through Emmer Green to Sonning Common (the main road to Henley was undergoing so resurfacing work with big delays) I would normally go via Pangbourne and Whitchurch toll bridge (season tickets save a lot ;) ) but it closed closed for a major rebuild.

At present we only have a choice of Reading or Caversham Bridge or going via Goring.  Sonning Bridge has been closed for about 7 hours every day (from 09.30ish) for the past month but I believe it is now fully reopened.  Actually today Cow Lane wasn't too bad, it was awful last week when part of the Oxford Road was closed and everybody was heading via Cow lane (except us brighter souls who use  the Tllehurst Road which was hardly any busier than normal!

• Like 1

Gooood morning all.

It's a lovely, though windy, day here. No cloud whatsoever although that will change as a strong 40kph South Easter is forecast which usually causes a table cloth on top of the mountain. Max temp forecast to by 23c which is considered mild.

Happy Exhibition visiting, those lucky enough. Remember your deoderant! :O

Morning All,

Good luck to those going to Warley, I exhibited a couple of my layouts there, and helped crew on others...but have never gone as a visitor.

Only a quick site visit this morning, then back to the drawing board. Several big projects next year on the go already.

Every one else try to find something to smile at,

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All,

Good luck to those going to Warley, I exhibited a couple of my layouts there, and helped crew on others...but have never gone as a visitor.

Only a quick site visit this morning, then back to the drawing board. Several big projects next year on the go already.

Every one else try to find something to smile at,

Trev.

Will report back sometime in the future - knowing my inconsistent attendance on here.

No weather report - too dark to see. 

Have a good day all and if you're going to Warley over the weekend hope you enjoy it and don't spend too much.  :mosking:

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Light enough to see.

Tasks today include taking the Fiesta to the tyre place (500 mile after tyre fitting alignment check), walking Robbie, some shopping, and  collect transceiver purchased by my brother as a collect only eBay item. At some time during the day I hope  to go to the exhibition in Southend. 

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. A damp day here. 

The English Bluebell bulbs that I ordered to go under my new tree turned up with instructions to plant asap.  

Meantime the RHS advice on dealing with heavy grey soils is to not walk on them and dig in plenty of organic matter. The RHS calculations on the amount of grit that would be needed are around 250kg / m^2. Don't think I see my self shifting a few tonnes of grit! 

I'll be assembling a trapeze later to access the offending raised bed!  

Lunch today with an Aussie friend who retired to Australia in September. She's back for a few weeks....sounds more like commuting than repatriation!

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 2

A cold, bright morning again here. We appear to be in for a week of similarly fine days which give stunning sunsets. A bit too cold to be out of bed for long yet so I've just enjoyed BIB!

Hope you all have a good weekend!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Gorgeous morning - but the north wind is pernicious. Another totter on my doorstep looking for whatever he can con - he went away with a spent electric fence battery. The bloke who was going to give me 20 euros for my tiles has never re-appeared. But then he came from the Mayenne!

Don Bradley : my father went up Table Mountain in the war - and got nosebleed! As I've been to Jungfraujoch - 11,333 feet - without problems, he probably didn't pass that endearing trait on.

New phone seems to work, but have yet to get it to talk to the SD Micro card where I stored all my contacts. Further work needed.

Hope your weekend goes well, and look forward to being regaled with tales from Warley, and pics would be even better.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Lovely start to the day, blue skies, sunshine 5oC and should stay nice.

A lot of talk about stereos & Hi-fi yesterday went completely over my head and in one ear & out the other. Technophobes R'Bob.

Hope those visiting Warley have a good time. 

My offspring have informed me that if I want "train stuff" for Christmas I better compile a list so that might keep me occupied for a while! :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Car checked, doggie walked (and brushed/dried/brushed), shopping list received, so I can now head east (and a tiny bit north) to the other side of Southend for the exhibition. I will take my boots as I suspect I'll be in the overflow car park which has a sort of crushed brick surface. The big puddles at the entrance and exit distribute it rather well. I'm not going in the Fiesta which is white. Even though my Land Rover is the one that the Land Rover enthusiasts try to deny it copes with a bit of dirt quite well.

The exhibition also has a Scalextric championship event. I used to race slot cars when I was in my teens. It will be interesting to see what is different (if anything)

Tony

• RMweb Premium

When I lived in Southend (1967-68) there was a public slot car track. I only went once though, the regulars were so good it was off-putting. I just googled it and it was “The Model Racing and Drag Centre” in Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff on Sea. It would appear those regulars started a club that's still going: http://www.southendslotracing.com/html/history.html 

Pete

• Like 1

It always takes me a while to acclimatize to Flagstaff, Arizona at over 7,000 feet - Santa Fe is even higher, I think, but usually I go there after Flagstaff  so I've never had issues. Usually heights affect me most in the middle of the night when  I often awake gasping for air...

Funeral went very well yesterday (i.e. it could have been more traumatic). Glad it is over.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

When I lived in Southend (1967-68) there was a public slot car track. I only went once though, the regulars were so good it was off-putting. I just googled it and it was “The Model Racing and Drag Centre” in Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff on Sea. It would appear those regulars started a club that's still going: http://www.southendslotracing.com/html/history.html 

Pete

What a smashing link! A very heartwarming story to this lapsed slotracer! There are about 50 modern slotcars lurking near my desk as I write, and my membership of Reigate club in 1965-8 probably represents my only real club activity. Obviously I'm glad the prophesied death of model railways at the hands of Scalextric didn't happen, but they are good parallel hobbies. It was slotcars that generated my interest in the real thing, and that's why I live where I do.

Reading earlier, including a contemporary account of a passenger lap around the old Riverside track at LA, in the 1971 CanAm Challenge-winning McLaren M8F, with new champ Peter Revson at the wheel. The writer saw the tacho pass 6600, equating to 184 mph, and the driver was still gunning it, with a distant solid wall getting closer.......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pete

It was years later than your time there, Peter, but some mates of mine used to use a lockup at the bottom end of Hamlet Court Road to give their Strats and Les Pauls a thrashing.

And come to think of it my brother as a member of a model railway club just off the Hamlet Court Road. Not sure if that is still going several decades later though!

Andy 

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Hope those who make it to Warley have a good day - I believe there are several announcements being made today which will stir the frothers up no doubt, they will certainly cause some full and frank discussion when they hit !

Have a good day all - I'm about to control the whole of the Edinburgh PSB area on my own for an hour or two - Jill and the kids have gone to Norwich so time for some R&R

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, finished a bit of snake wrestling and replaced her bulb as well as cleaned out the vivarium. One left to do much smaller and lighter but so much faster..... Hair dye is todays activity so I try to stay far away from the kitchen as possible. As I am never likely to go to Warley I too would appreciate pictures and feedback.

• Like 1

Living under it's shadow and having been a Scouter I have climbed Table Mountain more times than I can remember. It's only 3,500 ft so presents no real problems. I was familiar with 5 non vertical rock routes one of which I even did at night on a few occasions.

Oh very happy memories! :yes:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A'noon, a frosty start here but dry mostly, just a touch of drizzle occasionally.  did some shopping and had lunch out, then got bacl to a brown box, containing a blue box, containing a L&Y 1008.  Oh gosh, what a super model.  I wonder if it has the correct number of spokes....

This is one that won't get weathered.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, back after attending a ex colleagues retirement yesterday down south, Dorking to be precise, was nice to catch up with some people in the office but more so that it reinforces the fact that I made the right decision to retire.

Nice when people say you look really healthy lol!

Will attempt to catch up with the forum whilst other half watches strickly later tonight.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon.

Now back from Southend; model railway exhibition, shopping in Waitrose and collecting my brother's radio transceiver purchase.

It would appear that some of the shopping was for cake ingredients, a fruitcake for Christmas possibly. 

Tony

• Like 1

Mother`s home from the hospital and looking like a elderly-pirate, with her protective eye-patch. :blind:

Are you alright Mum? :scratchhead:

:yes: .......Arrrrhhh! :mosking:

I've got all this to look forward to in due course following a Vitrectomy, cryopexy and gas bubble insert earlier in the year, after I had a torn and then detached retina. One of the almost inevitable side-effects of the procedures, is the growth of a cataract. My Mother has had both her eyes done and the operations made a significant difference.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, back after attending a ex colleagues retirement yesterday down south, Dorking to be precise,

Sherry and I are always pleased to hear things about Dorking! And, for the avoidance of doubt, I will re-iterate that Dorking is NOT a form of mediaeval punishment!