The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Plenty of oktas yet it is still bright, strange. Not sure what's going on at work, this is the third day in a row people have booked meetings for me. Anyone would think I work there or something! Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Morning brethren...smile.gif

Glad to hear we are in fine form despite the usual setbacks of this life of ours. Who was it who said 'Life's a ###### and then you die'?

A quick Google says Don Carpenter. He must have been a happy soul...

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Failed my apprenticeship last night trying to remove the worm off a Bachmann motor shaft. Little b*gger would not come off despite using my best wheel puller. Eventually resorted to the intelligent approach. Clearly I didn't know exactly where to hit it.....

A new motor is on it's way this morning. rolleyes.gif

Edit: PC or what? The word 'batch' with an 'i' instead of the 'a' has been censored....angry.gif

• RMweb Gold

Gordon Glad you got the worm off. I always used to get irritated when doing something the "right way" didn't work. Though in your task as long as the worm survived it was a good result? If bitch gets censored what is a female canine called in the land the censor was written in?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, just surfaced after quite a heavy night with call outs - mind you it wasn't too bad as it started with a call yesterday evening to probably our most idyllic site, a reservoir right out in the sticks which serves Stockbridge. If it wasn't work it would have been something I would have done for fun (almost) beautiful evening, beautiful location, beautiful views. Had a few more calls during the night, but again they weren't too bad as there is something almost magical about being in the depths of the silent, deserted countryside in full moonlight. During an hour's lull in between jobs I took this, any of you photographers out there got any tips on how to take the definitive photo of this thing. Things I did find out last night - you have to underexpose to ridiculous lengths to get any shot at all, and it's almost impossible to focus correctly. Still I was fairly pleased with what i got as it's a first attempt.

post-6683-127244565281.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Obviously it's selective!

Perhaps Gordon is being watched by an autospeecheditor whereas Tony isn't.

No Gordon doesn't need to worry. I just know how to confuse the censor!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Obviously it's selective!

Perhaps Gordon is being watched by an autospeecheditor whereas Tony isn't.

Hi DD,

Tony knows the trick.

To defeat the censor you select a few letters in the middle of the word and change the colour from black to er, black. :)

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Cloudy and bright here - builder HOPES to finish tonight, but "not sure" - about right for a builder's estimate on timeframes, I think. Hope he's finished soon, as got the carpet fitter booked for Saturday!

Then the whole of the rest of the Bank Holiday will be taken up with the spring cleaning as there's dust everywhere - good job I put all the locos and rolling stock in boxes and moved to an upstairs room, as I don't actually think that builder's grime is the best weathering material.

The good(ish) news is that once this work is done, we're not moving on for some years, so with luck, I can get a small layout into the spare bedroom - it will need to be put-awayable, though, as the room is also used for guests - looks like a project for next winter.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

... Still I was fairly pleased with what i got as it's a first attempt.

I should think you would be "fairly pleased". Don't have any useful tips (nothing changes) but that looks very tidy to me. Clearly rushed off your feet!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

We were invited to stay with my parents in law while they were on holiday in Norfolk when Matthew was a baby. Unfortunately my anger/frustration at being micro-managed on holiday got broadcast over the baby alarm. I don't remember apologising!

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Well, now we know what he thinks of ordinary folk - talk about an own goal!

Yeah, life's a dog-ess...! ;)

Dave.

(snip) a reservoir right out in the sticks which serves Stockbridge.

Did stars fall on Stockbridge? Stars fell on Stockbridge (It's a Doctor Who comic from the 80s...)

During an hour's lull in between jobs I took this, any of you photographers out there got any tips on how to take the definitive photo of this thing. Things I did find out last night - you have to underexpose to ridiculous lengths to get any shot at all, and it's almost impossible to focus correctly. Still I was fairly pleased with what i got as it's a first attempt.

post-6683-127244565281.jpg

Blimey, what lens are you using for that? Very impressive!

To defeat the censor you select a few letters in the middle of the word and change the colour from black to er, black. :)

Sneaky!

Lesson for today: Always ensure your microphone is turned off, once an interview is finished......Poor b*gger.

Heh heh! :)

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a lovely day, playing Pooh-sticks and a nice walk in the country.

Tony

You're right, it was a lovely day to walk in the countryside admiring the views. However, I would have enjoyed it more if there wasn't a giant pair of wellies to carry laugh.gif We did actually play Pooh sticks at the first site, but then by the second and third site we were only allowed to use flowmeters. (Rotten lot!)

More exhausting than I expected, but I think I'll relax with a bath later - that sun can get quite hot!

I did get to see part of a dismantled railway (part of the Salisbury to Ringwood line), the gradient looked pretty steep going up from the (demolished) station nearby.

• RMweb Gold

When my wife first taught geography, Bonio biscuits were the favoured object for Pooh Sticks. It then went all techy. Matthew hopes to study "Human Geography" at university. I think welly boots are not required equipment for his course.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I tell you what, using biscuits is a good idea - I couldn't see the darned sticks they were so small - it didn't help that they were seemingly the same colour as the river bed! Not sure why I was the only one who managed to stay dry, everyone else's wellies filled up with water!

Physical geography is probably mroe my style if I'm honest, people seem to be so unwilling to help us geographers sometimes!

• RMweb Gold

I tell you what, using biscuits is a good idea - I couldn't see the darned sticks they were so small - it didn't help that they were seemingly the same colour as the river bed! Not sure why I was the only one who managed to stay dry, everyone else's wellies filled up with water!

Physical geography is probably mroe my style if I'm honest, people seem to be so unwilling to help us geographers sometimes!

Matthew said that after doing opinion surveys for his geography fieldwork in Cromer one could get a very poor view of society!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely laugh.gif

Not being horrid, but in general it tends to be the older portion population - some of them can be particularly unhelpful and even quite rude at times!

I wouldn't even bother asking some of them questionnaires - you can tell when they just aren't interested.

I would say that there are also other types of people like this - mainly those in a rush (or at least pretend to be!)

At least physical geography doesn't fight back! laugh.gif

Not sure why I was the only one who managed to stay dry, everyone else's wellies filled up with water!

You'd put corks in the holes beforehand!! Better to take shoes & socks off and roll up your trousers on a warm day like today, though! :D

BTW, how was Flo?