The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning, sunny but rather chilly 7c on Fraggle Rock this morning.  First time it's felt like autumn really.

Trev, those photos are at Dhoon Quarry, and Port Erin loco shed.  Dhoon Quarry looks less tidy nowadays, and Port Erin more tidy!  Interesting to see the van on the MER shot too, don't see that any more although most high season trains do run with a trailer car.

We average about 80" of snow per year and I've never bothered with snow tyres, either!

Maybe because they tend to clear the snow efficiently and often, helps.

The "Blizzard" range seems to be popular over here in rural areas.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

We don't get a lot of snow here but it doesn't get cleared quickly. I was sceptical about the benefits of winter tyres but they did make a real difference on Aditi's Clio. Some of the neighbours with sporty Mercedes or Lexus cars seemed to have extreme difficulty in snow/ice but not as much as some allegedly 4x4 with ultra low profile tyres. BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne seemed to suffer. I know many Land Rover owners don't think my Freelander deserves to be classed as a Land Rover but it is rather better in snow than many other cars. Though I drive it assuming it isn't. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Thanks for all the 'hearts' yesterday - while the diagnosis isn't final (hence a further appointment) it was at least very reassuring in that it came from an expert and he said 'none of the usual signs of Parkinsons' - not that it's a killer (but a life shortener) and all I need worry about now is the odd incidents of 'waggling soldering iron' which can at least be a bit amusing as long as nobody is hurt.  The 'low tech' tests were also quite amusing - such as 'start at 100 and take off 7, then take off 7 ...' and so on or , draw a spiral - then do it with your left hand (I'm right handed).

Anyway enough of me - picking up a point above and in Trev's pics I always understood that the vans on the MER were used for mail traffic,  I certainly saw them being loaded with mail back in 1962 when on holiday on the island.

We have lovely sunny weather this morning but the temperature has dropped considerably compared with only a few days ago - so commiserations to those who are suffering.  And Fatcebook? - I only look at it when RMweb is down or certain regulars post their occasional words of wisdom (or pics of their intended) - my 'social media' is RMweb, quite enough for me and a nice bunch of folk.

Have a nice day folks.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

First of all so many thanks for your support yesterday. It was much appreciated. 

Morning all. Blustery here, although sunny. 

There I was thinking that Mumsnet was a forum for comparing pushchairs and nursery care options. Blimus, Ian, you've opened my eyes!  

Lord knows what would crop up if there was a forum called Dadsnet. Please don't tell me there is such a forum.

Bit of a fleeting visit here today as I have a pile of work to do and also the dreaded company accounts to bring up to date. :( 

Best, Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky with some cloud and a bit of sunshine. Quite fresh at 8oC.

Late start for me as I went back to bed after taking Chris to work - lazy so & so! Drop in temperature means that we had the heating on this morning for a couple of hours. I expect that will increase in the next few weeks.

Had to take daughter & Joe to hospital yesterday for blood tests etc as he is a bit under the weather & nothing obviously wrong.(He's Type 1 diabetic so we can't be too careful) 

Still can't find my modelling mojo but am thinking of going to the Farnham show on Saturday which may help to get me kickstarted!

Which reminds me - more coffee is needed now!

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

I suspect that we might be later - I'll communicate with her Doctorness when she arises from her pit and she what she says (which might give you a hint about our timing ;) ).

There speaks a brave man, whose better half I suspect never, ever, looks at his postings on RMWeb..................................... :girldevil:

• RMweb Premium

You are correct about the mail van on the MER Mike - there is one preserved - but also a small amount of general goods was carried.  The loss of the mail contract almost killed the MER, but I don't have the date of that to hand as I'm, er, at work! Shhh.

I'm so jealous of folk attending shows, that is something I really miss.  We're across in a couple of weeks and have managed to make such arrangements to miss any shows local to our two places of stay! 

Lovely sunny day in the Capital of Wales! A bit breezy and the temperature has dropped a bit.

Summer anorak now consigned to the wardrobe, winter anorak and woolly hat no longer hibernating.

I think I will make the most of the weather and do some photography.

Dave

• Like 2

Well despite being a little chilly and windy (8 degrees, positively balmy compared with some places I know) it's a beautiful sunny day here in Slapding so I'm putting off replacing the hardtop on the MX5 for a while.  Can't see the point of having an open car and not using it as much as possible. 

Jane & I went back to Cambridge, hood down, with scarves, hats and gloves on yesterday afternoon and the looks of astonishment were roughly balanced out by the indulgent smiles.  Either that or folks were too nervous when confronted by obviously crazed senior persons to do anything else!  :crazy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A sunny, rainy, overcast blustery morning down here today, the sun is currently shining after a torrential downpour.

Went out for the Sizewell earlier, windy but dry, I set up the cameras, and waited ... a rainbow appeared (not a good sign!) and then I could hear the distant rumble of the 37s, videos on - check, still camera on - check, heavens open and torrential rain pours down - check, train passes with amused driver - check, videos off -check, rain stops and sun comes out - check. All in all a successful session (!)

Glad the checkup was positive Mike - I had my results from some "C" tests last week and they came out not only good (clear), but on the low risk side of good so I'll be around to annoy people for a good while longer.

Have a good day all,

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I meant to ask Trev earlier - is that a wooden coal pocket in the right background, behind your loco? In my dreams I'd build the one at Vance Junction on the Rio Grande Southern, but it needs an awful lot of space just for the slope to get the wagons of coal up to the top! Someone makes a kit, Crystal River, I think.

We don't get a lot of snow here but it doesn't get cleared quickly. I was sceptical about the benefits of winter tyres but they did make a real difference on Aditi's Clio. Some of the neighbours with sporty Mercedes or Lexus cars seemed to have extreme difficulty in snow/ice but not as much as some allegedly 4x4 with ultra low profile tyres. BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne seemed to suffer. I know many Land Rover owners don't think my Freelander deserves to be classed as a Land Rover but it is rather better in snow than many other cars. Though I drive it assuming it isn't.

We used to own a Lexus IS200 which I loved to drive but in which I had a "life flashing before me" moment during unexpected heavy snow one Friday when driving home in the rush hour. The only way I could reach the bottom of a steep hill (Weston Bank, near Stafford) was by sliding at a right angle to the normal direction of traffic.

Later, when I related the experience to a friend, it was pointed out to me that the car had a "snow" button......! Doh!

Edited by Ashcombe

I managed to get an LS400 (it was in the nineties) airborne on La Cienega in Beverley Hills one time but it landed on all four wheels at once. The trick is to ensure that the front wheels are facing forward in a straight line when you land.

By the way is it just me or has the ratio of waffle to pure drivel increased on here recently? The only people being rational are ("mine's a") Sherry, Mike Caligula and Ian Dudley-More.............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Here's an anecdote from our seminar yesterday which made me smile: As both our tutor and one of my fellow trainees had learned Russian at school, we found out there appears to be one word which kind of "sticks":

dostoprimechatelnost

...which translates as "sight", or "landmark."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

By the way is it just me or has the ratio of waffle to pure drivel increased on here recently? The only people being rational are ("mine's a") Sherry, Mike Caligula and Ian Dudley-More.............

While that puts me in very exalted company, Pete, it also implies that I'm a boring old straight. Growing old can be so cruel!

• Like 1

I'm not sure I can differentiate between waffle and drivel? :no:

I tend to waffle on about drivel..... :O

Yes, but at least you don't drivel on about waffle, so it could be worse..........................

• Like 2