The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, darlings, I don't do movies; only live theatre for me!

Be careful what you say Ash. That comment often attracts bitchy remarks like 'hasn't got the face for close ups any more'

Don

• RMweb Premium

Morning all! Off to the seminar in a while. Need to discuss why the class didn't seem to understand how gerunds in English are formed and used... (though they could, paradoxically, form phrases using them!)

• RMweb Gold

Live Theatre (well farce actually) going on outside the hippo house.

Two weeks back, the road was closed for it to be completely resurfaced...........................

Today a small gang has just turned up and are presently digging a hole in the road.

Obviously another case of joined up management

Richard

• RMweb Premium

back from dentist - he used self levelling filler - it tasted horrible but I asked for a sample to try on model railways ... for some reason he didn't want to part with his machine which makes it go hard(!)

Cricket last night was good - albeit one bowler tried to bowl his "slower" ball and nearly decapitated his wicket keeper. In indoor cricket there isn't much room to hide.

Did notice Andy Y poking around in here last week - will keep closer watch in the future!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

PW construction work going on around the Central Station tram stop, so several lines rerouted for the next several days. Currently aboard a 1 line service which when I took this photo was rolling across the Augustusplatz intersection, with a NGT12 car on the 15 line waiting on Grimmaischer Steinweg.

mobile.1447jupe.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning, nice and sunny again, yesterday was spent in the Lakes walking with a nice pub lunch thrown in!

Just about to do some work in the garden, leaf clearing part 1 will be taking place a task which will be repeated often over the next month I guess.

Enjoy the day

There's an annual contest at the Griffiths University , Australia , calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

This year's term was...... 'political correctness'.

The winning student wrote: Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh*t by the clean end.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Consultant duly seen (40 minutes late - seems the NHS follows the Hornby school of non-explanation) however he seemed very competent, knew what to look for and ask about, got me to do some writing and draw some squiggles plus various arm and hand bending things and take a walk across the area outside the room, and back, under observation.   However as he didn't respond to my leads he clearly isn't a railway modeller, and probably not into any sort of modelling as he wasn't interested in talk of scalpels, soldiering irons or weathering wagons.

But he did explain that he is an expert in motion related conditions and expressed the view that I appear only to be suffering from Essential Tremors and don't have any signs of Parkinson's Disease.  But he'll see me again next May although at this stage he doesn't think a dopameine (sp?) test is necessary.  So notwithstanding my waggling fingers one somewhat more cheerful Stationmaster emerged from the consultation.

Not much else to report - the auction is underway but I don't know what's happening so will hear results this evening I would imagine.  Cold quiche coming up in the next hour or so and otherwise all reasonably well in the world on the back of the consultant's opinion.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

I was saddened to read today about the inquest on a former work colleague. Having seen first hand how hard he worked it isn't a great surprise to read how it panned out. The place he worked at attracts conspiracy theorists like flies who seem to delight in the prospect of a cover up. Sadly the truth is much blander - overworked, overtired, dedicated, diligent. I think the only mystery is how come more of his colleagues haven't done the same thing. 

He left a teenage daughter and wife. 

Andy

Whenever someone takes his/her own life, it leaves family and friends wondering what they could have done to prevent that. The answer often is nothing but that doesn't assuage the guilt feelings. Depression is a malady that varies in intensity and can be brought to a heightened level by stress, the simplest of event or even a comment and sadly people who have not suffered from it don't recognise the symptoms nor understand it. The grief felt by the family will be huge and they have my sympathy (even though I do not know them).

For the conscientious employee work can become all consuming. Absolutely ghastly when it leads to such a needless loss of life. No words can express the devastation this leaves in the weeks that follow for those who loved the person.