The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Many people "have a book inside them" and the web has allowed those who so wish to compose and publish far easier than would have been the case before e-books. I think that previous to today's facilities, many thought that they could only fill a hundred or so pages so that wouldn't be enough. Today, many e-books are under 200 pages.

Capturing the memories of past generations is something I think we all often regret not having done. I would have loved to record my father's experiences in WWII and similarly those of my mother's brother but one would have been 93 now and the other 103 and both left us in the last millennium, when the e-world was not as developed and I had a lot of other priorities. My grandfathers had different and interesting (as far as I was told) lives that would have today filled in elements of social history. Perhaps there is a lesson for us all in that?

• RMweb Premium

Hello all.

Belated condolences, Sherri, on your Uncle's passing.  I always found uncles somewhat special.  I still have one in his eighties.  Special? Yup. And Auntie.

Not keen on the idea of moving into something palatial - unless I could afford a household team to keep it running.

Have a good day - and be wary of getting above your station... especially with layouts.. . :king:

Polly

She is not minded to write it though, which is a pity.

And there's the rub - the best books do not get written.

I've had my own run ins with the 22nd, surprisingly, considering their obsession with secrecy, they have a very nice Gift Shop in Hereford.....

Was she in Berlin the night that  the wall came down? A pal of mine was in East Berlin and was probably the first Englishman to walk through the remains of the wall from East to West.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, but your own PM declaered last week we are not a tax haven - just a lower tax environment.  You can't hide ill gotten gains here. 

Any more..........

Just as well we still have mattresses then (except, in our case,  the one that was collected by Nightmares Dreams 2 hours ago :sungum:  :imsohappy: )

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Putting together a shopping list or posting on RMWeb is about the limit of my literary ambition.  One relative (by marriage not genetic) has written (and had published) an autobiographical tome. I suggested it for the Booker Prize.

Sequential 20s on the Sizewell today, such is the excitement !

Polmadie used to do that in the 1960s. It was quite unusual to see double-headed EE Type 1s that weren't consecutively numbered.

Just as well we still have mattresses then (except, in our case,  the one that was collected by Nightmares Dreams 2 hours ago :sungum:  :imsohappy: )

Straw pallaise tonight for you then Stationmaster. Just make sure alternative arrangements are in place for the return of Mrs Stationmaster.   :good: 

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

I'm not really caught up tonight as there's about eight pages since I last checked in - such is the popularity of this fun and games thread.  So all I can add is generic congratulations/condolences and whatever else. 

Not a lot to report here, but in work tomorrow so had a day out today to sample the delights of Messrs Drake & Macefield. 

Anyhows, I'm a bit cream crackered, and I'm off to light the fire and have a sit down in front of the telly.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Turned out very nice indeed today. Temps well into the 20s mid-afternoon, but the sun hasn't got as much guts in it, so as light slips away, so does the mercury. I felt constrained to sit on the lawn-tractor, so things look a little better. I hope to get things fairly ship-shape by Sunday, as I'm away for 10 days from Monday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The world is now a slightly better place. Medication finished yesterday & seems to have done the trick so I can now have a drink.

Bobby No Beer of Sutton

Cheers,

Bobby on his second pint (of Sutton) :drinks:

Edit: Should read Bobby of Sutton on his second pint (of Bombardier)

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've come across that tide prediction computer somewhere else, but I can't recall where!   D'oh, middle age stinks.

My literary adventures only stretch to four published magazine articles (Garden Rail) and our internally circulated (IOM Govt.) only team Annual Reports!  I doubt it'll go any further, but I would love to write a humerous novel, sort of a Tom Sharpe thing, using anecdotes I pick up at work!

I thought you were going to say: "Life and Death amongst the Early Risers".

Sorry back to Faraday (again), interesting character zero to thin education, no Grammar School or University. Rotten at Maths.

I wrote the "Call me Mike"  thing and he was like that ; contrary to his photographs of a typical early Victorian he would shake hands with someone and if he liked them would say "call me Mike" which sounds unbelievable to my ears amongst such formality. This is where biographies really score. If done right you get to know the person behind the persona.

Gorgeous day here again in Gotham. 78f (27C), fantastic rich dark blue sky again. No clouds and a gentle breeze.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's some of those 'T' word things - of US persuasion as usual for my indoor pursuits.....

That RS11 again - strictly inaccurate livery, they were painted, never delivered, and repainted and sold to another RR.

post-10195-0-00666000-1379707177_thumb.jpg

An unusual viewpoint....

post-10195-0-59780800-1379707255_thumb.jpg

Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston engined H-16-44

post-10195-0-24357000-1379707297_thumb.jpg

That's enough to keep me banned until after lunch I reckon?

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the engines were used in US subs - 4 in a fleet boat.  They were very powerful for their size and weight, but expensive to maintain, which was their downfall in railroad use.  The New Haven had quite a few, the NYC less.  Some locos on the NYC got re-engined with the ubiquitous EMD 567's.  Oops, that's trains.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1