The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Somewhat sleepy this morning after another difficult night. Our little lad has had a succession of nights with massive stomach cramps. The medical diagnosis last week was "It's a mystery". 

Very distressing for all of us. 

We think we've isolated the cause now, so fingers crossed. 

Andy

Morning all,

Somewhat sleepy this morning after another difficult night. Our little lad has had a succession of nights with massive stomach cramps. The medical diagnosis last week was "It's a mystery". 

Very distressing for all of us. 

We think we've isolated the cause now, so fingers crossed. 

Andy

Gosh, Andy; that`s terribly worrying and distressing...`fingers crossed he`ll be on the mend and fully-well, soonest. :ok:

Are you sure about that name, Doc?

Imagine shouting it across the park.

Well, it won't cause any "hilarious misunderstandings" in Switzerland at least (plus it's a traditional Mrs iD Family dog name - her family has had 4 dogs named Schotty to date [i spell it Schotti - Mrs iD insists that it is spelt Schotty])

It just occurred to me that I will be in for a challenging year ahead. Schotty is about 18 months old - so an adolescent (and a male adolescent to boot). Having watched the children of friends go through adolescence, I can just imagine the scenario...

Schotty:   I'm bored

Me:         Let's go for a walk

Scotty:    Don't wanna.....

Me:         OK , let's play frisbee. I'll throw, you catch

Schotty   Not gonna...

Me:         Right, let's play tug-of-war.

Schotty:  Booooring!

Me:         Fine. Just stay in your basket then

Schotty:  You don't understand me, I hate you...

Time for some Victorian Parental Values methinks....

Have a good one

iD

• RMweb Premium

Morning world.

Sunny here, misty on the mountain on the way to work though.

Not sure if I'm OK to post this morning, how long do Debs red cards last?

Heart goes out to Micks Mrs, hope a resolution can be found and instituted quickly.  I fully understand how debilitating constant hip pain can be.  Unfortunately.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Warm and breezy enough to put some washing out to dry today, so I have. The recycling stuff has all gone out. 

Electricity and broadband seem OK here. Matthew hasn't sent a text to let us know he is in Bialystok but he seems to be the subject of a few "tweets" on Twitter. 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sympathies for those with medical ills / dilemmas - if my wee sample is anything to go by it's a wonder anyone ever gets treated.

Jill collected the bottle from the surgery yesterday, a major rush for her due to work / kids etc. but it was collected. I did my business this morning and took it to the surgery where I discovered it wouldn't actually fit in the letter box  :scratchhead:  I was tempted to leave an alternate sample but...

I left it in the grit bin, I've phoned, informed them of this and they've got it and rang back to confirm it will be sent off today - I'm not holding my breath.

Dull and cool morning.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

It just occurred to me that I will be in for a challenging year ahead. Schotty is about 18 months old - so an adolescent (and a male adolescent to boot). Having watched the children of friends go through adolescence, I can just imagine the scenario...

Schotty:   I'm bored

Me:         Let's go for a walk

Scotty:    Don't wanna.....

Me:         OK , let's play frisbee. I'll throw, you catch

Schotty   Not gonna...

Me:         Right, let's play tug-of-war.

Schotty:  Booooring!

Me:         Fine. Just stay in your basket then

Schotty:  You don't understand me, I hate you...

Time for some Victorian Parental Values methinks....

Have a good one

iD

Some male dogs do seem to like to check out their assertiveness level at about 2 years old. Robbie was fine and didn't really have a "terrible two" phase. I'm sure Schotty will soon have you trained.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I note that ERs has even more than its usual level of distress and anguish this morning. Very sorry. I hope better things and greater comfort are just around the corner for those suffering.

On the other hand, DD's PC going in the river sounds like sport!

A nice young man delivered the washing machine, plumbed it in and gave me a quick run-down of the controls - having tested it to confirm it worked. I felt I'd had great service. Although this one is Whirlpool (I think that was once part of the Philips empire, but not under that name) and the last one was Laden (not Osama Bin, probably), there is a remarkable similarity in some of the visible bits. That said, this has electronic controls and more options, few of which I will ever use. ISTR back in the '80s, a service engineer telling me there were only three factories worldwide that made dishwashers, so not doubt same factory, different badges.

Weather is running a bit late here, as the rain should have stopped by now, but has only just started. Weekend looks good, with 24 degrees Sunday, they say.

Hope yours cheers up.

EDIT - Meant to mention that a pillar of the ER community has this day posted on Facebook a very pleasant photo of some woodland in East Anglia. One of his "friends" has simply commented "Dogging?" (Google it if you don't know). You find out who yer friends are!

Edited by Oldddudders

Ian, I think "Whirlpool" is an American brand.  Certainly you see them everywhere over here.

An ideal 72f/22C here today, zero clouds. Warming up to 79f/26C by Saturday though a "few showers" are expected that day.

Very nice weather over all.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

When we took in Monty his age was estimated as about 5 (rescued stray so age unknown) he was extremely playful so we thought perhaps a bit younger. Six years on he is still extremely playful rather puppy like. So is he a late developer or has he discovered the secret of staying young. I hope the latter.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Ian, I think "Whirlpool" is an American brand.  Certainly you see them everywhere over here.

Wikipedia says you are right - firm started in 1911, Whirlpool name adopted in 1950. This was the bit I was thinking of in 1988 : "Begins a joint venture with Philips called Whirlpool International with Whirlpool owning 53% of the company. The joint venture was formerly Philips' major appliance subsidiary."

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

weather reasonable, sprinkler on (no rain forecast today).  I'm currently monitoring Mrs Stationmaster's/Dr Station Cat's alleged departure from Hreathrow and i think it really is about time the Daily Wail stopped knocking the railways and had a go at airlines about punctuality.  Flight Aware shows the aircraft as 'taxiing' for the past 20 minutes and as it has yet to blip up on Flight Radar with its transponder I presume it still is 'taxiing' although officially it departed 3 minutes early (time of push back);  all rather like saying the train left Paddington right time but hasn't yet passed Westbourne Bridge :O

But compared with some of folk's ills on here that's nothing so best wishes to all who are ailing with hope for early improvement, have a  good day one & all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it appears to be a better day in Horton so far.

Yesterday was wet and very cold:  Even after multiple layers of clothing we had to succumb to lighting the gas fire in the sitting room during the evening.  Elsa loved it, and lay there snoring most of the evening.

I've just inspected the 94xx I got from SE Finecast at the EM extravaganza last weekend.

Nice crisp castings with only a slight bend in the footplate which is easily straightened:  However, it will take a bit of work to bring it up to the standards we get from today's r-t-r, although it does feature a separate smokebox dart!!

As we all know from bitter experience, this purchase will be the cue for Bachby or Hornmann to announce a 94xx as part of their next batch of new releases.

I have also been invited to my nephew George's birthday bash this coming Sunday, and it's being held here: http://www.bridgendminiaturerailway.com

If I really grovel, and I mean really, really grovel, do you think I'll manage to get a drive instead of just a ride?

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

If I really grovel, and I mean really, really grovel, do you think I'll manage to get a drive instead of just a ride?

I have to do that to get a ride.

(Debs started it, Miss).

Edited by DDolfelin

Sorry to those having problems with the NHS - I have to report that my cataract surgery yesterday was superb (Left eye) and , as promised, I now have 100% distance vision in that eye - some irritation - like having an eyelash in there - yesterday after the surgery together with a much enlarged pupil, today absolutely fine. I really hadn't realised how much vision deterioration there was - my computer monitor is now so bright it is unbelievable. The surgeon said he wants me back in short order to do the righthand side to balance them  (6 - 8 weeks) - swmbo couldn't believe I was sitting in the living room yesterday evening without glasses - which I have worn for 62 years - reading the ticker tape at the bottom of Sky News. I am amazed at what can be done, and very, very grateful

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

WI've just inspected the 94xx I got from SE Finecast at the EM extravaganza last weekend.

Nice crisp castings with only a slight bend in the footplate which is easily straightened:  However, it will take a bit of work to bring it up to the standards we get from today's r-t-r, although it does feature a separate smokebox dart!!

As we all know from bitter experience, this purchase will be the cue for Bachby or Hornmann to announce a 94xx as part of their next batch of new releases.

Regards

Richard

Sorry - I'm sworn to secrecy :scratchhead:  :jester:

Sorry to those having problems with the NHS - I have to report that my cataract surgery yesterday was superb (Left eye) and , as promised, I now have 100% distance vision in that eye - some irritation - like having an eyelash in there - yesterday after the surgery together with a much enlarged pupil, today absolutely fine. I really hadn't realised how much vision deterioration there was - my computer monitor is now so bright it is unbelievable. The surgeon said he wants me back in short order to do the righthand side to balance them  (6 - 8 weeks) - swmbo couldn't believe I was sitting in the living room yesterday evening without glasses - which I have worn for 62 years - reading the ticker tape at the bottom of Sky News. I am amazed at what can be done, and very, very grateful

Great to hear such good news, Jack!!!!!!!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all - again! 

The sun is out, but still feeling quite tired after last night's upheaval. Not so much about a late-ish night, but more about feeling drained and useless as there was little we could do to help the little lad. 

Anyway, as mentioned we think he should be ok now, but many many thanks to ERers who ticked the "heart" symbol earlier.  

For some reason I thought Whirlpool was an Italian brand - saw them mentioned on the BBC news last week in connection with factories in Italy relocating, and their name came up in that context. I guess with multi-nationals they can be based all over the show. 

Pickling of green tomatoes is now in progress and the intense vinegar and onion smells in the house are certainly doing something to awaken me! 

Putting some track down on my layout later before the children come home. My daughter was busy dyeing sponges last night to make leaves for her improvised trees. Maybe we have a convert to railway modelling?

Andy

• Like 4

Late riser today!  Due to finishing a commission at 2.30am!  Repeat after me, "I will not accept any more commissions to a deadline!"

Should know better as 4 years ago I decided that life was too short to be pressured into accepting work of this type. 

I now have a large sign above the workbench saying, "Don't do it!"  Jane says it's very useful as all she needs to do now is quietly point at it................................... :angel:

(Trouble is in future she's likely to use it for all sorts of things.......................)

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Simply append "My Boy" to all your commands:

e.g: Sit - My Boy!. :laugh:

Robbie manages to cope with our Jewish and Indian visitors quite well but I think his favourite visitor was our niece Maya ( 14 months old now) who was very amused that Robbie would catch any food she threw! Non-verbal inter-species communication!

• Like 4