The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I remember a study a few years back that concluded vauxhall had the worst seat ergonomics of any mainstream car maker. You can't beat the swedes for seat comfort IMHO, followed by the Germans. I have never had back discomfort from a long journey in VAG cars, porsche, bmw or volvo and when I had a saab 9000 with heated seats I used to go for a drive to RELIEVE back pain.

My Skoda Fabia has very comfy seats - an all-day drive leaves no discomfort, although at 85k miles they are not what they were, obviously. On the other hand every time I drove a friends Peugeot 206 I found it difficult to get settled. When I had one for a month while another car was sorted, I still never really got comfortable. A couple of Lancias 30 years ago showed the famous short-legs/long-arms trait of Italian designs, but a Fiat Grande Punto last year really didn't.

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that the front seats in our Volvo 340 were very comfortable so at least it did have one redeeming feature.

I think I mentioned before that I was given a lift back from Golders Green Crematorium to Enfield in a Freelander 2 and thought it had the most comfortable car seat I'd ever sat on. I've only added 25000 miles of the car's total 45000 miles but the seats are still fine. If it had memory (nothing to do with memory foam mattress) seats I'd think it would be perfect. Aditi's driving seat settings are very different to mine. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These days about three hours driving is about enough. I have driven 400+ miles in one day between 13 hour night shifts the car was a 2CV. I was tired but I don't remember any back pain I was over thirty years younger. Where did the time go?

Don

• RMweb Premium

It is possible we will have some form of Citroen Picasso easy access for the disabled and big enough for lugging student stuff around. A proper car and hiring a transit cnnect for moving days was suggested by my brother but anything low is beyond Mrs B's capabilities now. D day tomorrow so things are a little fraught tonight, has it started healing? has it healed enough?  will they xray the right leg?

• RMweb Gold

The Picasso is similar in size and shape to the original Scenic we used to have. It was very very useful for lugging stuff about and had a nice driving position. I never really liked the newer Scenics. 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start & 9oC, sunny periods expected this morning with rain later & staying quite cool.

Today I shall be mainly playing the role of myself (ie Grandad) as we'll have our usual after school visit from the kids.

Before that though I have some mundane domestic chores that I've "volunteered" to do (read into that what you will) & after that - who knows? I might even go & do something to the trainset - I keep putting off rebuilding the board I demolished a while ago.

Have a good one,

Bob. (Who's still off the beer but getting used to it - only 3 more days to go)

Good morning all,  

All this talk of cars reminds me of one incipient when I was working in the UK.  On the Thursday I had to drive up to Bradford to pick my new  company car up from HO. The HR manager was stickler for making sure that we got them serviced on time......so nice steady drive back to the west country enjoying the Avensis (?) Estate.  Friday afternoon get a call, could I just "pop" up to Dundee to sort a problem the local service engineer couldnt?...Of I go, (June,  so light morning) .Takes me less than 10 minutes to sort the problem,  turns round drive back home,  around  980 miles that day. Monday saw me in Cornwalls China clay works.   On my way back I 'phoned the HR manager...."car needs service"......what he said was unprintable!  O happy days? 

Well after that bit of drivel, 

Try and have a good day, 

Trev.

• Like 1

Morning All,

It is grey and autumnal here again - which isn't altogether unexpected, but it is a bit of a shock that it has happened so quickly!

I also seem to have come down with a head cold.

Oh well - such is life!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Lots of cloud but a few patches of blue showing through. It is forecast to rain here today.

Matthew goes from Warsaw to Bialystok today. He has taken his camera and said if he saw any trains he might take some photos for me!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all,  

All this talk of cars reminds me of one incipient when I was working in the UK.  On the Thursday I had to drive up to Bradford to pick my new  company car up from HO. The HR manager was stickler for making sure that we got them serviced on time......so nice steady drive back to the west country enjoying the Avensis (?) Estate.  Friday afternoon get a call, could I just "pop" up to Dundee to sort a problem the local service engineer couldnt?...Of I go, (June,  so light morning) .Takes me less than 10 minutes to sort the problem,  turns round drive back home,  around  980 miles that day. Monday saw me in Cornwalls China clay works.   On my way back I 'phoned the HR manager...."car needs service"......what he said was unprintable!  O happy days? 

Well after that bit of drivel, 

Try and have a good day, 

Trev.

Ah those were the days... picked up my new Mondeo estate -left Bradford and drove to Heathrow - returned next day then had a call to go to Gatwick - there and back then a call to go to Aberdeen .... car had its quick check at the garage and by teh end of the year it had clocked just under 30,000 miles - what a waste of valuable work time...

Cold here, white clouds and will need full thermals if I visit the cricket at Headingley today...

Have a good day everyone...

and just for Debs - Lincolnshire people are Yellowbellies(!)  and what do we call people from Goole??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We enter the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, ghosts and goolies then???

They get upset if you say that ......  bit like Hartlepudlians being Monkey Hangers....   and for some bizaare reason the railways modellers from Hull  are always called "Dullites" by the travelling section of Leeds MRS... 

After being suspended from work for the last 6 months, I return to work today after the Governors have lifted my suspension. And the Sun's shining - I feel a good day coming on.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hope that was a good outcome, Phil.

Morning world, by the way.  Very dull and autumnal here on Fraggle Rock too, just dull inside.

Biggest job ever to have passed through our team has just landed on my desk - 18 offences in one file.  That's going to take a while to sort out!

• Like 2

The/my system is playing silly and won't take me to last unread post but brings me here, so no comment, encouragement, support or other required reaction to missed posts.

The weather is STILL grotty, grey, wet, windy, overcast and miserable.

Watching Sky, many of you are experiencing the same.

Happy days.

• Like 1

Morning all!  

Sun shining and blue (ish) sky here in Spalding.  Better than yesterday's walk around Frampton Marsh Nature Reserve where it was blowing a bl&&dy Gale and lashing with rain.  Nature sensibly seemed to have stayed home in bed!

And this afternoon it's going to be   -   Raining!   -   So off for a spin on the bike now before the Mums start ferrying their little darlings to school at 50mph in 4x4s 'cause they're late!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. regarding all the driving about that was a major factor in taking early retirement. I often spent more time driving up motorways than working. Having put my hand up to go I thought I may as well make the most of it and went by train as often as I could, usually took longer door to door but I did enjoy it and a trip over Shap beat flying up anyday.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Had a phone call from the doctors this morning, they mislaid my wee wee sample and found it too late to post, which means it will now be useless - more of my time down the drain.

"Can you provide another specimen by 11:30 today ?" "it's big*, but it's not that big, I'm 30 miles away" stunned silence and then we hit on an idea, I'll drop off a sample tomorrow though the letter box - reminds me of my youth but apparently they want it in a bottle this time.

Sunny morning but cool.

Have a good day all.

* big is a relative term in this context.

Morning all.

Had a phone call from the doctors this morning, they mislaid my wee wee sample and found it too late to post, which means it will now be useless - more of my time down the drain.

And that's not all that's gone down the drain .......!

Edited by Ashcombe