The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I went and did some shopping today and did the closest to gambling as I ever do and decided this was as good a day as any to buy some dollars (Canadian). Canadian banknote values are easier to tell apart than US dollars (well for me anyway, perhaps I can't tell the subtle colours apart!). Matthew tells me the Canadian currency is known as the loonie, after the loon on the $ coin I think.

Normally whenever we go anywhere sterling seems to collapse. 

Tony

• Like 1

I went and did some shopping today and did the closest to gambling as I ever do and decided this was as good a day as any to buy some dollars (Canadian). Canadian banknote values are easier to tell apart than US dollars (well for me anyway, perhaps I can't tell the subtle colours apart!). Matthew tells me the Canadian currency is known as the loonie, after the loon on the $ coin I think.

Tony

Yep. Fast history lesson. The first $1 coin had voyageurs and a canoe on the "tails" side. The original proofs and dies went missing in unusual circumstances. So they went with the second choice of design which is a loon. Hence the name loonie. The $2 coin came along and is known as the Toonie. The original Toonie had a polar bear on the back. If you turned it to the light just right and cover bits of it you can turn the bear into 4 penguins and a dinosaur.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Tony

Directorate of useless information:-

The man who designed the current (new) Canadian banknotes is coming here to run his live steamer next week!  He's on the island on a years sabbatical, his wife is Manx.  I've known him a few years!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you turned it to the light just right and cover bits of it you can turn the bear into 4 penguins and a dinosaur.

Well that's the entertainment sorted for our trip then!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The real problem with the welfare state is that it lacks any real sanction. If you persist in wasting your admittedly meager benefit and run up debts and rent arreas there is nothing that can be done. If you have kids the state will have to house you and give you money for food but cannot stop you spending on drugs or beer! I can think of solutions but they are probably not socially acceptable!

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yep. Fast history lesson. The first $1 coin had voyageurs and a canoe on the "tails" side. The original proofs and dies went missing in unusual circumstances. So they went with the second choice of design which is a loon. Hence the name loonie. The $2 coin came along and is known as the Toonie. The original Toonie had a polar bear on the back. If you turned it to the light just right and cover bits of it you can turn the bear into 4 penguins and a dinosaur.

Too fast for me. I had to Google to discover that a loon is a bird. Unfortunately, in English slang the aforementioned mental hospitals were know as "loony-bins", derived from lunatic asylum, and therefore an inmate was a loon. Common language? Well, maybe.

Edited by Oldddudders

Too fast for me. I had to Google to discover that a loon is a bird. Unfortunately, in English slang the aforementioned mental hospitals were know as "loony-bins", derived from lunatic asylum, and therefore an inmate was a loon. Common language? Well, maybe.

The common language being the one thing that divides....!

Holiday letting to Webbers with a penchant to see the local steam railway in operation Ashers?

Sound like an excellent plan but I doubt if I'd find enough takers for all year round letting, though. At least they'd pay up (or risk being named and shamed on here!!)

Having visited this morning, the state of the place is worse than we feared. Bizarrely, the agent who deals with the letting had authorised the redecoration of the walls of the flat (without reference to us) but hadn't thought it would have been better to have cleaned the place first. The doors are filthy as is every kitchen cupboard and both bathroom cabinets. And don't get me started about the carpet!

Anyway, having left the director (Darren!) in no doubt as to our feelings about the way things have been dealt with and what we expect in the future, we told him that we would organise the deep clean required as we have a very good woman in our employ, mainly as a gardener, but she will do cleaning too. Since she is a single mother trying to make a living and an excellent cleaner, I would prefer that she has the money for doing what I know will be a superb job. The flat is already on the market for letting and I'll post the link if I can find it.

http://www.crownpropertymanagement.co.uk/detail.php?id=662&postcode=tq2

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just back from a trip in the sludgemobile loan car as we had to get some of life's little essentials like food, Steam World, dog requisites, Hornby Mag - well one has to have something to read other than RMWeb occasionally.

Quite pleasant here at present, though it was chucking it down while we were out - at least it was wet, not white and sticking to the ground.

Not a lot to report today but I've caught up a bit with the posts - what a mixed bag we get here on ERs.  I'm told that the computer is now needed for something more important - what can be more important than ERs on RMWeb?  Banking? Credit Card checking?  I'll take RMWeb any time.

Regards to All

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

- what can be more important than ERs on RMWeb?

For me, at least for the moment, it's trying to sort out a gas bill erroneously based on a ridiculously high meter estimate. I supplied the actual reading and their system now thinks my meter has been right round he clock. 'The system' claims that in the last quarter the two of us in our terraced house used eleven million kWhours.

That will make the next bill even more interesting.

Edit: I've just calculated that that means we have had the equivalent of approximately 5000 electric fires running continuously for the last three months.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2

We've just had a woodpecker have a go at the house! Our houses here are wooden, but they are painted and more horizontal than vertical, so difficult to confuse with trees (I would have thought!). There's been a woodpecker coming to feed from a suet block that we've hung from the eaves, and I presume that was the one - I only got a glimpse of it as it flew off. The noise was amazingly loud - our neighbour is doing major renovations at the moment and at first I thought it was him using a power hammer.

The $2 coin came along and is known as the Toonie. The original Toonie had a polar bear on the back. If you turned it to the light just right and cover bits of it you can turn the bear into 4 penguins and a dinosaur.

The $2 coins are made of parts of two different metals. The very early ones weren't put together too well, and the parts could be separated by a sharp blow. For a time, they were known as 'two bits'.
  • Like 2

The common language being the one thing that divides....!

Sound like an excellent plan but I doubt if I'd find enough takers for all year round letting, though. At least they'd pay up (or risk being named and shamed on here!!)

Having visited this morning, the state of the place is worse than we feared. Bizarrely, the agent who deals with the letting had authorised the redecoration of the walls of the flat (without reference to us) but hadn't thought it would have been better to have cleaned the place first. The doors are filthy as is every kitchen cupboard and both bathroom cabinets. And don't get me started about the carpet!

Anyway, having left the director (Darren!) in no doubt as to our feelings about the way things have been dealt with and what we expect in the future, we told him that we would organise the deep clean required as we have a very good woman in our employ, mainly as a gardener, but she will do cleaning too. Since she is a single mother trying to make a living and an excellent cleaner, I would prefer that she has the money for doing what I know will be a superb job. The flat is already on the market for letting and I'll post the link if I can find it.

http://www.crownpropertymanagement.co.uk/detail.php?id=662&postcode=tq2

I love the west country but unfortunately it is too small to bring the collected brood of Gruffalettes to see proper steam in action!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For me, at least for the moment, it's trying to sort out a gas bill erroneously based on a ridiculously high meter estimate. I supplied the actual reading and their system now thinks my meter has been right round he clock. 'The system' claims that in the last quarter the two of us in our terraced house used eleven million kWhours.

That will make the next bill even more interesting.

Edit: I've just calculated that that means we have had the equivalent of approximately 5000 electric fires running continuously for the last three months.

That reminds me of  a case where the customer complained of a high meter reading when he had been away part of the time. Under test it was discovered that with his useage it was going one and a bit times round the clock so he was only being charged the bit. While he was away it only went 3/4 round the clock so he paid full wack. Obviously should have kept his mouth shut.

In your case it sounds like someone has typed a wrong number in ( or the automated meter reading service) so the computer has just assumed it has gone round the clock. Either that or the meter is up the swannee.

Don

Edit Course the other thing is to forget something. My father put a fire on in the loft in very cold weather to stop the pipes freezing then forgot it. Very red faced Dad when the EB found the cause of high useage!

Edited by Donw

Hello all,

Totally grey and overcast here right now, although the forecast says mostly clear though partly cloudy.

Max temp forecast is 23C.

I've got to go to the bank this morning to increase the stop orders for board and lodging and also the TV which are re-evaluated annually, upwards of course, but manageably. 8% & 7% respectively.

Pakistan beat us in an ODI last night. We won the 1st a week ago. This was the 2nd of 5.

Congratulations to AndyB's eldest on the politeness award.

• Like 2