The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

"Nothing much going on today although I might have some news later on for DD if the catalogue proof is back from the printer."

Thanks, Mike - look forward to it.

Update for DD - he's not now coming until next Tues, hectic day at the auction room apparently.  The auction is scheduled for 13th March but I'm not yet aware if ephemera will be on that day or the next as details of lots are not yet on the 'net  http://www.specialauctionservices.com/collectables_auctions.php

• Like 1

Illustrious is a tiddler Hermes was twice as big but you could stand on her flight deck and look up at the Ark Royal, In turn the Ark was about a quarter of the size of Nimitz..... 

The Nimitz Class are the size of small islands:

post-9016-0-03952800-1360851298.jpeg

What is even more incredible is their flank speed (which is secret), I'm sure someone knows it.

Oh, OK, about 35 mph.

The USA has 9 of them - each one has an armada of supporting and defensive ships incl. several nuclear powered "attack" subs.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not that big really, by merchant ship standards.    I sailed on a bulk carrier much the same length, considerably heavier deadweight, and a LOT slower!!!!

The fact that it is now at the bottom of the sea was nothing to do with me, I assure you.  Lost many good friends on that.

A very tardy 'morning all', and hope all's well wherever you are ;O)

A 'decidely damp' drive down to Willesden in the small hours this morning via the A5, M1 and Norf Circla, with (unusually) a bit of shunting to do before departure with a double headed 6D78 to sunny Bescot, I did feel sorry for the poor shunters getting a soaking, bless 'em! It appears the railway was not having a good day at all today, first off I was cautioned through Crick Tunnel on the Northampton line due to flooding and on arrival back at our booking on point heard that several of my colleagues were marooned at the south end of the Midland Mianline as the wires were down 'big time'. What fun - and we get to do it all over again tomorrow ;O)

Things must be looking up though - I actually did about ten minutes modelling yesterday (the first spurt of any such activity in months) and the Dapol Western is looming ever so slightly large on the horizon.... ''game changer ahoy!'' methinks...!

• Like 2

Not that big really, by merchant ship standards.    I sailed on a bulk carrier much the same length, considerably heavier deadweight, and a LOT slower!!!!

The fact that it is now at the bottom of the sea was nothing to do with me, I assure you.  Lost many good friends on that.

6,000 crew members (incl flight), 90 fixed wing and helicopters.   I should have edited my post to say "the USA has another 9 of them" there are 10 in total. It is unfortunate for the Royal Navy that the US Marine Corps has more Aircraft Carriers than them (yet, very similar to the last UK design).

The large  merchant ships are often mistaken for Aircraft Carriers as you know (Atlantic Conveyor), to their cost, poor bu@@ers......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Its been one of those days...... started with a letter from HMRC (who owe me money according to my accountant) asking me to pay them even more!

Garden awash so pump out on going!

How big will our two aircraft carriers be compared to the Nimitz? They will also need support vessels including the Astutes plus the Type 26s..... lots of money to keep them company!

• RMweb Premium

6,000 crew members (incl flight), 90 fixed wing and helicopters.   I should have edited my post to say "the USA has another 9 of them" there are 10 in total. It is unfortunate for the Royal Navy that the US Marine Corps has more Aircraft Carriers than them (yet, very similar to the last UK design).

The large  merchant ships are often mistaken for Aircraft Carriers as you know (Atlantic Conveyor), to their cost, poor bu@@ers......

Best, Pete.

Pete

the Marines have all our Harriers as well as their broke and it was cheaper to buy the GR9s (updated at a vast cost to the UK taxpayer) for beans - but the Marines buy the best from wherever it comes from (they wanted Challenger 2 not M1A2 but that was scotched)

• RMweb Premium

Not the Atlantic Conveyor Pete - this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Derbyshire

I was also supposed to be on her when she sunk.  She was late, I went elsewhere....there but for some reason or other go I.

169,000 tons deadweight, big numb thing she was, not the favourite ship I sailed on for sure.  Awful Burmeister and Wain main engine, 30,000 hp from 8 cylinders, when it wasn't breaking down! 

• Like 1

Well they certainly appreciate the RAF.

During exercises in the Gulf prior to the 1st Iraqi War - they said that they were the only planes to try and attack (the Enterprise?) flying below deck level!

Best, Pete.

Edit: It was the RAF.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

The Nimitz Class are the size of small islands:

attachicon.gifUnknown.jpeg

What is even more incredible is their flank speed (which is secret), I'm sure someone knows it.

Oh, OK, about 35 mph.

The USA has 9 of them - each one has an armada of supporting and defensive ships incl. several nuclear powered "attack" subs.

Best, Pete.

Did anyone else (DonW?) ever see one of these babies park up in The Solent? From Stokes Bay it pretty much blotted out the IoW. Incredible sight. A visit by a ship of that size was good for a lot of local businesses, too.  

Wasn't Illustrious a "Through Deck Cruiser", rather than a carrier? 

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Did anyone else (DonW?) ever see one of these babies park up in The Solent? From Stokes Bay it pretty much blotted out the IoW. Incredible sight. A visit by a ship of that size was good for a lot of local businesses, too.  

Wasn't Illustrious a "Through Deck Cruiser", rather than a carrier? 

Andy

The Invincible class ships were originally called 'through deck cruisers' in order to disguise the fact (on paper, not when you saw one) that they were in reality small aircraft carriers.

BTW talking of 'Atlantic Conveyor' she is partially visible here in the background between the two frigates (the white bridge structure) - Devonport Dockyard while she was being fitted out and loaded in the week prior to sailing to the South Atlantic.

post-6859-0-59524500-1360881266_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I cannot see the sea from here only when I walk across the fields with the dogs. I do not see a lot of Navy ship the majority are container vessels or other freighters with regular Brittany ferries. When I was at Brixham a Navy boat came up the dart I thought it would be touch and go turning round but they had it off pat.

Don

Ello, Ello, Ello,

The sun has just peeked over the horizon painting the mountain and it's covering cloud a beautiful gold.

Plenty of cloud about, but wind, not rain bearing. 26C forecast today.

IT'S FRIDAY!

Since we had fried fish on Wednesday (Ash Wednesday) it will be Lasagna for lunch today .

I would welcome fried fish twice a week. :beee:

Anu railway modelling in prospect today?

Gordon has been very quiet about Eastwood!

• RMweb Gold

Evening, Morning , please delete as appropriate.

Thank you to Andrew and David. I too will recommend not changing at Green Park in future . I was getting updates by phone from Aditi as first the Jubilee Line wasn't running then there were Hammersmith line problems but I suspect they were all fixed before being reported on the travel news anyway. I got a random security personal search at Heathrow but the man was very pleasant. The plane wasn't absolutely full but although it left late it arrived on time. US Immigration and Customs were no problem. The immigration lady was pleasant and efficient. The queue moved a bit slowly at first but then they put on lots of extra staff. They also had people "working" the queue to sort out those with visas, visa waivers etc before they got to the interviiew stage.

I collected my car Ford Focus. The Avis staff were efficient and friendly. It was dark when I got here but with the sat nav and the well signposted roadsigns I got here Ok.

It has just gone 11pm here in Houston. This is my cunning plan to change time zones, go to sleep at a normal time!

Tony

• Like 8

Good Morning one and all,    Glad to see that Tony arrived OK. No modelling for me Don,though I do have a few projects in mind that I could do here....getting the inclination & time to converge is the difficult bit!  

Yup tis Friday...Only two more working days till next week!  

Try and find some thing to day to smile at?

Trev 

Morning all.

Oh dear Trev! A world without weekends does not appeal!

We have had a light snowfall overnight, but the temperature is above freezing so it won't stay long.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Dry & 3oC at present with some sunshine forecast for today.

Good to see you arrived safely Tony.

I seem to have another task free day although I may drive the Dyson around the premises just to bank some Brownie points. You never know when they'll come in handy They are essential because you know damn well that somewhere along the line you've either done something you shouldn't have done or not done something you should have done! :no:  :scratchhead:  :dontknow:  :help:  :banghead:

Bye for now,

Confused of Sutton.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Good to hear your trip went well thus far, Tony! I can see two squirrels chasing each other in a tree due south of the house and there is some fresh snow indeed. I think I'll get freshened up and head for the supermarket soon...

Cheers!

I was wondering, for a moment, how 1216etc could see two squirrels in the US.

A beautiful start to the day here.

Man coming to test dishwasher today.

While he's here he can test the Washing Machine too. Apparently it is not 'spinning' properly.

Probably the programme on that has been disrupted too.

The "live neutral" had put 400v into the system.

Others in the village have lost underfloor heating and many appliances.