The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
so that should see off the last of the snow that is hanging around.

We are forecast a few clear days or a heavy dump of snow depending on which forcast you believe and when you look.

The forecasts seem to change with the weather.

Morning all

Good Morning.

For those that don't remember me since the board broke, I'm DD and I have an interest in modelling dioramas.

Having been 00 all my life I'm also now going to attempt an N layout.

With a little help from my friends of course - preferably those with exceptional eyesight.

Morning all!

Now working on both computer and iPhone. I'm with O2 as my broadband connection as well as my mobile so heaven knows why the phone worked but the computer didn't!

Anyway, nice to be back! Tony - i'll have to check out Edward Stourton's dog's column!

DD - an N gauge layout? What plans have you got?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is cold and dry here but not cold enough to be frosty. I have a shopping list and suggested household tasks to complete today so I don't think there will be any modelling progress.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Nice to see RM Web back and working - thanks to the team.

Actually, I had no idea about the problems, as my PC finally gave up the ghost and I was left a bit isolated here. I'm still off work, and am now having physio to try to get the muscles that have got a bit lazy remobilised - still not driving, and using a keyboard is still very awkward.

Had to bite the bullet in the end and get a new computer - decided on a laptop - there was a pretty good deal in Argos, and I managed to find one - but as usual with that store, I had problems with the extras that should have been free - but finally got back online at the weekend, to find that RM Web was down! Got to say that it's pleasant to switch the machine on, and to get a response in seconds, rather than two hours as I was sometimes with the old kit.

Regards to all.

Stewart

"rather than two hours as I was sometimes with the old kit"

Our feral cat can take longer than that to respond.

Mike: At the moment just an extended oval with some branch twigs.

Don't expect any fast progress.

I'm still at the gathering materials stage - and then trying not to lose the bits.

I don't know if it is normal here, it has just started snowing. It won't settle though as it is much too warm otherwise.

Don't worry, Tony. According to www.raintoday.co.uk, it'll soon turn to heavy rain!! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

:lol:

I've made it over after failing to sign on earlier. Huge thanks to the team :D

Got thoroughly drowned cycling home today, it's also very muddy going the back way. Pretty miserable weather really.

Can't wait till NG South in April, looks to be a good one.

Right, i've got some homework to be getting on with unfortunately but not a great deal...

:lol:

I've made it over after failing to sign on earlier. Huge thanks to the team :D

Good to see you on this side!

Got thoroughly drowned cycling home today,

click the link I just gave Tony! You'll see it coming!

Can't wait till NG South in April, looks to be a good one.

Breaking news - Lynnbottom strikes again! - See you there!

Right, i've got some homework to be getting on with unfortunately but not a great deal...

Mustn't keep you... :icon_winker:

• RMweb Gold
click the link I just gave Tony! You'll see it coming!

And I thought you had made the website up - apparently not! :D

Breaking news - Lynnbottom strikes again! - See you there!

I knew Lynnbottom had a narrow gauge but I didn't know it is narrow gauge?

Mustn't keep you...

I shouldn't worry, I can multi-task - I can boil the kettle and surf RMweb (Not that that's much use for doing homework... :lol:)

I knew Lynnbottom had a narrow gauge but I didn't know it is narrow gauge?

It currently represents Japanese Commuter lines which are 3ft 6ins gauge! Besides, for an Exhibition Manager, it's a case of BOGOF - Buy East Hants Light Railway, get Lynnbottom Free!! (We are the same operators, I'm the chauffeur!)

(For the uninitiated [just in case there are some!] - BOGOF = Buy One Get One Free!)

If you're having a stereo Jam session tonight, there's probably good reason!

In answer to your question, Jam, Sparshalt is about 27 miles from me and, coincidentally, about 27 miles from you, so if you put a speaker at your house and mine, Sparshalt's about the best point to hear the sound. :lol: (Might be a bit loud for the immediate neighbours, though! :( )

• RMweb Gold

Yep i've just sussed the driver error out. I don't remember reloading the page though - especially 5 times! :lol:

In answer to your question, Jam, Sparshalt is about 27 miles from me and, coincidentally, about 27 miles from you, so if you put a speaker at your house and mine, Sparshalt's about the best point to hear the sound. :lol: (Might be a bit loud for the immediate neighbours, though! :( )

:lol: :lol: I wonder how long it would take the sound to reach Sparsholt *tries to engage physics brain* well, the speed of sound is about 343 m s-1 (m/s to the rest of us!)

27 miles equals 43 452 metres (ish)

Edit: 43 452/ 343 = 126.7 seconds not 44.3 seconds!

Or have I made a mess of it?!

Yep i've just sussed the driver error out. I don't remember reloading the page though - especially 5 times! :lol:

:lol: :lol: I wonder how long it would take the sound to reach Sparsholt *tries to engage physics brain* well, the speed of sound is about 343 m s-1 (m/s to the rest of us!)

27 miles equals 43 452 metres (ish)

43 452/ 343 = 44.3 seconds

Or have I made a mess of it?!

Well, I reckon that 27 miles is 27 x 1.6 x 1000 = 43200 metres (1.6km=1mile) and that 43200 metres / 343 metres per second = 126 seconds. However, since it would be travelling the same distance from each speaker, you wouldn't know that it took 3 times as long to reach you! The locals would, however, notice that they had become very deaf!