The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That in Australia, floorboards are commonly nearly as wide as doors.

The shelves on the left are oddly spaced too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

We had a short conversation here on the topic of veracity the other day. (It's relevant to the news cycle at the moment.)

A pundit referred to a quote which I had not heard before. I found it apropos.

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.

Jonathan Swift - 1710. 

(My emphasis - that was the referenced bit.)

Not new, disinformation is.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

14 hours ago, Hroth said:

@Chris Snowdon  Roman Wall Blues?   Is that the one about sentry duty at the dead of night during Saturnalia?  🤔

(Looked it up, not far off on the sentiment!)

Yes, if I remember correctly, it's basically the grumblings of a bored and homesick soldier from Southern Europe or North Africa wondering WFT he is doing in the middle of the night, in the middle of what soon became Northumberland, in the rain.  We were advised to read the poem as optional homework whilst studying The Eagle of the Ninth, but apparently the vast amount of correspondence found at/from Vindolanda suggests it's pretty accurate.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

14 hours ago, DaveF said:

I noticed this after I wrote my post a few minutes ago.

The Tanfield Railway is just like it always was, very friendly and with lots of fascinating things to see.  The electrics are still there, safely stored in one of the sheds along with lots of other nice things.  They also have many interesting railway books (second hand) in their shop.

David

David, that's really good to hear.  Not just about what's still there but also that the bookcases are still worth browsing.  A lot of the smaller industrial museums around the NE seem to be suffering (not just financially, but theft and vandalism) at present, so hope they are doing OK - it sounds as if they are.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I think I need to give up this forum. I'm clearly turning into a grumpy old man. Take the revised format for BBC Young Musican which has resulted in the final including two performances of the same old warhorse. And some twirp speaking between the movements - treating us the TV audience with contempt.

My dear fellow, you becoming a grumpy old man is a sign of maturity and wisdom. A process undoubtably aided by you frequenting these pages and learning from the best. For on ER you have experienced, wise and extremely talented grumps. Fellows who could be grumpy to gold medal standards for Britain (and elsewhere, as appropriate).

Anyone who gets to our age (and I am assuming that you pretty much coincide with the demographics of ER) and is still euphorically skipping through life like Basil Fotherington-Tomas, has clearly done too many drugs in the 60s and 70s!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

... done too many drugs in the 60s and 70s!

Isn't that the stage of life when the number of prescriptions written starts to increase dramatically? Sounds pretty normal to me.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Isn't that the stage of life when the number of prescriptions written starts to increase dramatically? Sounds pretty normal to me.

I think you are being naughtily obtuse, Oz: I was of course referring to the 1960s and the 1970s!

30 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Laugh out Loud or even better Live out Long.

I was being just a teeny tiny bit sardonic!

I am aware of what LOL means, and a lot of other trendy/New Age/millennial/generation Z acronyms besides.

“Know thy enemy“ and all that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This I found incongruous. 

image.png.225ebf0bc3a051854e6c1dcab7a10bde.png

It is a photograph I took yesterday - of a wall.  It's a bit of a headscratcher.

The building on which it is applied, explains it a bit, but it still confuses. I do not know what the graphic attempts to convey, beyond "Australia".

I'm impressed they included Kangaroo Island, King Island, The Furneaux Group, Groote Eylandt and Bathurst and Melville Islands.  Meanwhile maps here often leave off Tasmania!