The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The joints were aching more than usual after the shopping trip so I took an eyelid inspection. Feeling better after that and a muggatee and a couple of mince tarts.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Norfolk schools start half term 28th, and I think the radar museum closes to the public for the winter a week after that.

Evening Awl,

Radar museum very quiet in the morning, I saw no visitors till 13:00 then it got busy, I was still talking to visitors till 16:59...

So the morning was spent muddling, so I built a bloodhound missile and a type 259 radar in 1/1000 scale..

17292841064461429312085335746499.jpg.03e266767e7011716634e5dd8d38df9c.jpg

This very pair, though a 259 has nowt to do with bloodhound.

As a matter of scale that cube the T259 aerial sits on is a 8 ft square it's very economical in materials is 1/1000 scale.

Then I went to the Chinese and for a change had Chicken satay Thai style, I think the peanuts are still in Thailand, but other than that it tasted good..

MRC went well, wire knitting mostly,though  I gave up early as so much muddling had upset my back.

Still clear skies outside and it's quite chilly, but the weather radar shows soggy on the way here soon.

A heavy bit of farm machinery has just gone past all yellow flashy lights, at 21:56 I suspect he's of home to bed..

I'm already there,

Muggachoccy gone goodnight Awl...

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well I got it, even if nobody else did!

22 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Early night not happening - Blues Brothers on the tellybox.

Surely you meant  Caeruleum fratis non somnambulus

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

I hope @Erichill16is OK..  he iwas trying to retire soon. I wish him well.

Drink my mugatea!

TTFN

Baz

Thanks for the thought but plans not going particularly well.

Ideally everything should be wrapped up next Friday, in time for the budget and should have been according to my team.

Unfortunately financial institutions are also having reservations and are apparently very risk averse until things become more clear after the budget.

A Mexican standoff is developing.

Some sort of compromise on my part may be needed but I have already bent over backwards (financially) to facilitate other peoples needs.

Very difficult and stressful situation which has certainly let the dark one out of his cage on allowed him to run amok.

When one reads about what’s happening in the world at the minute my problems do seem trivial.

Goodnight All

• Friendly/supportive 13

Good morning from an unbearably warm (it is supposed to hit 30°C today!) and soon to be rainy Tokyo.

Yesterday, in the company of @railsquid I went to the famous electronic store Adobashi camera, where I was incredibly self disciplined and only purchased an MP3 player to the one I have with me which has failed. The MP3 players were stored on the same floor as the TVs and it does seem that, nowadays, big is better. As the photo shows:

IMG_5774.jpeg.e27805d304fdce138be15588faf59e32.jpeg

As you can see you have 97 inch, 100 inch and 115 inch TVs available which use the micro LED system. The most expensive of which comes in at an equivalent of £8000. I really wonder where you would put such a television in a typical Japanese flat or apartment, given that such dwellings are incredibly tiny. 

In regards to charities, I really think that a shake up in how charities are defined, funded and run is long overdue. To be brutally frank, I find it totally obscene that for certain charities up to 80% of a donation goes to “administration”. I would cap the salary of the CEO at £100,000 (which is more than generous enough), I would prohibit “chuggers“ and the like - making it illegal to make money off of donations made to a charity. Of course such changes are unlikely to happen in the UK (or at least happen soon) as a lot of people make a nice comfortable living at the top of the big charity organisational pyramid.

My wife insists on supporting a number of big name charities, but as I am the one who makes payments and disperses funds, I have stopped giving donations to all but or two. Instead, I support some local charities which I know are not over burdened by expensive administration. There are certain large charities which are worthy of support, but ideally – if you can – provide that support in the form of your labour or by buying the charity what they need (So if a charity wants to raise funds for X and you can afford to do so, ask them how many X would they like you to buy for them - I suspect their answer would be very illuminative of how they view the purpose of donations to the charity). 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's ideal strides are 30" rather than 31" long , which of course is "the norm"

I used to be a 30" leg, which was standard, and then manufacturers moved to odd-numbered lengths. Under the force of gravity and ageing I'm now a 29" leg. Sometimes things work for you, sometimes against you. I'll take the win where I find it.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Darlington_Shed said:

I used to be a 30" leg, which was standard, and then manufacturers moved to odd-numbered lengths. Under the force of gravity and ageing I'm now a 29" leg. Sometimes things work for you, sometimes against you. I'll take the win where I find it.

Similar experience.  Still coming to terms after >20 years with a well known brand offering trousers of 42"W/25"L, but since then have had a couple of good experiences.  Wherever Austin Reed are now, they did some decent OTP suits in their last few years, but since their demise I've used another firm which uses 0.5" increments, and seems pretty accurate.