The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

They seem to have given up round here. What we do get are the charity sign up people, most commonly claiming to be the Red Cross. Usually very earnest looking young people whose mask slips when it is mentioned that we never ever sign up for anything to doorstep, unannounced callers. 

When confronted by such people I merely ask for a leaflet so I can read it and research the charity before maybe signing up on-line; if they're happy with that approach it tells me that (a) they're not taking a cut out of my donations, and (b) they genuinely do have the Charities' best interests at heart.

From a quick Google:

The British Heart Foundation confirmed it paid the equivalent of £136 per signature. Cancer Research UK said it paid an average of £112 to recruit each donor and in total paid face-to-face fundraisers £3m a year. Guide Dogs said it paid out nearly £2m annually.

Those figures are 14 years out of date, incidentally......

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Gold

I support a number of charities on a regular basis, for personal reasons. 

I don't appreciate chuggers or "heart rending appeals" that appear on the lower digital tv channels, charities that employ such measures do themselves more harm than good in my eyes.

And then there's the ones who want you to write wills to their benefit.  Their TV adverts nestle amongst those for over-50s life insurance and funeral plans.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Looking at your cow again, its got a Hereford face pattern though not the purebred underside so if nothing else, its related to a pommy cow...

Bonus cow-based history lesson:

The first fleet arrived in 1788 and landed livestock along with convicts. Shortly after, 2 bulls and 5 cows escaped into the bush and were not seen again. At the time for the small colony, this was considered a disaster because it left them perilously close to starvation.

But in 1795 explorers to the south west of the colony crossed the Nepean River and discovered  several herds of wild cattle, numbering over 100, obviously descendants of the escapees. The area was named The Cowpastures and includes where I am sitting right now.. 

Since then though, cow traffic between the UK and Australia  has been decidedly in the other direction, for example, post-WW2 when Australia extended wartime meat rationing  for its citizens so that cattle could be sent to the UK to feed its starving masses.

More recently the Liz Truss Awesome Trade Deal  has meant that 1700 tonnes of beef has been exported to the UK from here, with zero in return. ( The one shipment of UK-exported  beef jerky was stopped by Australian customs because the UK government had not notified the Australian Government that it was coming).

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/british-farmers-export-no-beef-to-australia-under-uks-first-post-brexit-fta-370421/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold

The day has passed quite well, I am starting to feel somewhat better but my gut is still objecting each time I eat, though not as badly as yesterday.

I've not done too much, the church things took me until about lunchtime as I expected.  This afternoon I've been to the podiatrist to get my toenails dealt with as I really can't do them myself.   I left home in plenty of time to negotiate the temporary lights on my way to the main road, when I got there the pick up truck carrying them was waiting to drive away.  In less than two days of work the gas people have dug trenches across two roads, done whatever they had to do, filled them in and restored the surface.  Why can't they always do that?  I did notice that on the roadworks website it diid say that the council had refused the original permit for the work so I wonder if they were only allowed two days to do it.  

On the way I took some things to the tip, at 2p.m. there were only 5 cars there - the skips have at least 15 parking spaces plus about 10 more for the elctricals/paper and rubble skips.  I also stopped at the park near the podiatrist which has about 50 parking spaces, there were 4 cars there.  Where has everyone gone today?

I think this evening will be spent very quietly, probably just reading and then a very early night to make up for last night. 

David

• Friendly/supportive 18

POETS, why not!

Yesterday was most enjoyable, post work. Choir rehearsal was bracketed by both a pre AND post happy hour.

Much to the delight of all that attended. Having missed two rehearsals due to the darned lurgy it was good to get back in touch with my choir friends.

Departing rehearsal at 9PM we were greeted with a very clear sky and excellent view of the rising full moon - your truly seemingly didn't have the brains to take a picture!!!

Today, Mrs is off for a walk/lunch with friend(s) - not sure if it's singular or plural.

Busy weekend ahead;

Tonight we have a "farewell dinner/get together" with our friends who spend the winter in Arizona. They're heading there on Sunday. We'll grab a take-out and watch game 4 of the women's basketball here.

Tomorrow evening is the annual neighbors "Tacoctober" (yeah, I'm not thrilled with the name!!) get together. Tacos and drinks galore.

Sunday evening we have the first of our Concert Series fund raiser at church. I help with tickets so have to be there early to manage those that can't find their seats/tickets (there's an email AND an app for that!!), and we are also sponsoring so have front row (well 3rd row as it's better!!) seats.

This show is called "The men of Motown". Has had rave reviews when it's been presented at several local theatres.

All the above is "supposedly" punctuated with me getting lights and the garden railway outdoor transit thing up and running for Halloween.

Probably will be exhausted at the end of it all, just in time to start work again <sigh>

That does it for me, for now...

Weather getting decidedly "August-like" as temperatures are on the increase, we should be worried about snow by now.

First thing it was a sunny and very pleasant 12c with a high of 24c expected. Over the weekend we're supposed to see highs 25c-27c, say WHAT?!?!?!

Enjoy the start of your respective weekends.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 17

26 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

For those that can't master real tap dancing .    😆

I’ve too many historic injuries from tap dancing……..kept falling in the sink! 😂

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

They seem to have given up round here. 

We have a Kingdom Hall in the street at the back of us. They often stand outside Waitrose. They've stopped knocking on the doors of the neighbourhood. Maybe they've remembered what every career burglar allegedly learns - don't sh*t on your own doorstep.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

This arvo saw both lawns cut - it was actually pretty reasonable to do after all; I even got all excitable and picked up the leaves in the front garden too.  Tick.  After that I got really ambitious and decided to clear the brambles etc. down the alleyway to access the back garden gate as they were becoming a right PITA (not that I have cause to use the alley very much); most of the brambles come from the House that a certain tw*t Landlord** owns - he doesn't give s sh*t just as long as he gets his rent from the (perfect) neighbours every month.

**The very same that Bear + others managed to supremely p*ss off some years ago by blocking his planning application to build another house in the Garden 😁.  I've a feeling we'll not be hearing from him again - he's currently banged up awaiting trial for IIRC a double murder + attempted murder (his missus & stepson no less) - couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.....🤣

BG

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening from a dark Charente.  Time to read all today's drive but will try to do better tomorrow.  I had a Model Railway Group meeting, oop north from here so a good lunch and chinwag with friends then a pleasant hour sitting watching trains at St Saviol.  Just got home. 

Jamie

• Like 19

A male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A pretty, young, student nurse appears to give him a partial sponge bath.

'Nurse', he mumbles, from behind the mask. 'Are my testicles black?'

Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, 'I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet.'

He struggles to ask again, 'Nurse, please check. Are my testicles black?'

Concerned that he may elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worry about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and pulls back the covers.

She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles in the other.

Then, she takes a close look and says, 'There's nothing wrong with them, Sir!'

The man pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her and says very slowly: 'Thank you very much. That was wonderful, but, listen very, very closely...... 'A r e - m y - t e s t - r e s u l t s - b a c k ??

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Grizz said:

A male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A pretty, young, student nurse appears to give him a partial sponge bath.

'Nurse', he mumbles, from behind the mask. 'Are my testicles black?'

Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, 'I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet.'

He struggles to ask again, 'Nurse, please check. Are my testicles black?'

Concerned that he may elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worry about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and pulls back the covers.

She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles in the other.

Then, she takes a close look and says, 'There's nothing wrong with them, Sir!'

The man pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her and says very slowly: 'Thank you very much. That was wonderful, but, listen very, very closely...... 'A r e - m y - t e s t - r e s u l t s - b a c k ??

Very good, but I think that might be a tad too exciting for the gentle folk of ERs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

We have a Kingdom Hall in the street at the back of us. They often stand outside Waitrose. They've stopped knocking on the doors of the neighbourhood. Maybe they've remembered what every career burglar allegedly learns - don't sh*t on your own doorstep.

I got a "dear occupier" letter from them the other week (posted), inviting me to their meetings 'to make sense of the situation in the world' or some such.

ION I had a crusty molly pinsa ("Roman", include rice in the dough today, toms, mozzarella, and claimed to have basil). Much fewer carbs than proper individual pizza, but very lacking in flavour. If that's really the Roman style then I think ROMANES EUNT DOMUS is the correct response.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Done a bit of shopping this afternoon and had a good hunt of the reduced to clear shelves that revealed a small cheesecake and a packet of spiced rum flavoured mince pies. The cheesecake became dessert and the mince tarts will accompany a muggatee later.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

The day has passed quite well, I am starting to feel somewhat better but my gut is still objecting each time I eat, though not as badly as yesterday.

I've not done too much, the church things took me until about lunchtime as I expected.  This afternoon I've been to the podiatrist to get my toenails dealt with as I really can't do them myself.   I left home in plenty of time to negotiate the temporary lights on my way to the main road, when I got there the pick up truck carrying them was waiting to drive away.  In less than two days of work the gas people have dug trenches across two roads, done whatever they had to do, filled them in and restored the surface.  Why can't they always do that?  I did notice that on the roadworks website it diid say that the council had refused the original permit for the work so I wonder if they were only allowed two days to do it.  

On the way I took some things to the tip, at 2p.m. there were only 5 cars there - the skips have at least 15 parking spaces plus about 10 more for the elctricals/paper and rubble skips.  I also stopped at the park near the podiatrist which has about 50 parking spaces, there were 4 cars there.  Where has everyone gone today?

I think this evening will be spent very quietly, probably just reading and then a very early night to make up for last night. 

David

If you are like here it is half term next week so I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't jetted off on holiday.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If you are like here it is half term next week so I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't jetted off on holiday.

In this part of Essex there is another week of school before half term. My nieces go to school in Northamptonshire and they finish today and have a fortnight for half term. They have shorter summer holidays.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I've just checked, here in Northumberland it is the week after next, 28th October to 1st November.

Perhaps everyone was at work - or at the beach.

David

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, zarniwhoop said:

I got a "dear occupier" letter from them the other week (posted), inviting me to their meetings 'to make sense of the situation in the world' or some such.

ION I had a crusty molly pinsa ("Roman", include rice in the dough today, toms, mozzarella, and claimed to have basil). Much fewer carbs than proper individual pizza, but very lacking in flavour. If that's really the Roman style then I think ROMANES EUNT DOMUS is the correct response.

Well I got it, even if nobody else did!

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here...

Well the recently altered strides fit a treat - it seems Bear's ideal strides are 30" rather than 31" long , which of course is "the norm".  TC's.

I've just been watching "The Motorbike Show" - the Jammy Git got to visit the Langen Factory in Wigan and ride one of their 2-strokes.  Dribble Dribble....

Now if Bear had a Garage......

https://www.langenmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/two-stroke

Oh yes, and 35 large piles of Tokens would come in handy as well.  Rattin' Piggin' TC's.

Well it seems that sky wee wee is due to visit Bear Towers tomorrow - at least until 10am it seems.  Poo.  I'd quite like to get the Bearmobile washed (it's disgracefully dirty - one of the few downsides to working at the W/H is the journey to & from involves country lanes in often pooey weather) - maybe in the afternoon.  I also have a 3-drawer storage cabinet (a bin find at the w/h) that needs some TLC in the form of sanding (when it's not raining...) & varnishing; it's destined for the muddlin' room when finished and may well be used for storing Unimat & Taig Lathe accessories. 

Right, the Leccy Underblanket has just gone on - meaning it won't be too long before Bear climbs the Little Wooden Hill.....

BG

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 4