The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

SWMBOs list of "can you make" is getting longer.. 

Aditi pulled a Venetian blind off its fixings last week. I fixed it back but it must have been weakened as I dislodged it this morning, breaking the angle adjuster. It  was in the utility room. It wasn’t an expensive one, we bought it originally to stop the sun shining into Zippy the hamster’s cage. To get one now that looks similar wasn’t cheap so I did try to repair the mechanism that was damaged by the recent fall. I failed so a new one was ordered. Fitting will mean drilling into a steel lintel. It usualltnworksmoutbat one drill bit per hole. Just out of interest, has anyone tried self drilling screws, and would they work in lintel girder steel?

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Evenin' awl,

The weather seems to be trying to provide some atmosphere for reading (or writing?) a historical novel. "It was a dark and stormy night in October, during the year of grace 17xx. The wind whined around the chimneys like a pack of the wolves sometimes seen in the depths of winter. The outline of the solitary small tower on the north side of the manor could be seen occasionally in the flashes of lightning. Inside the Great Hall .... " Well, maybe not quite that bad. But it's certainly soggy and blustery. 

Sympathies and positive vibes to @Ian Abel , @Darlington_Shed and anyone else with the pestilence, hope it passes quickly for you. 

Various odds and ends done, something of a 'MIUAYGA'/'unspecified pottering' day. I posted a book off which someone was kind enough to buy, did some painting (inside!) and played with composing a song. It's not really me but I thought I'd have a crack at something different. Something akin to I'm sorry I haven't a clue's one song to the tune of another. Baked a loaf - bread and cheese for tea - and replied to someone's email about C***mas lunch. 

I'd like to get a plant transplanted in the garden if it stops raining. A hole has been dug - and flooded! Tomorrow is supposed to be dry, so if I have a reasonable night and the hole empties, I'll try that later on. I could also do with planting out some aubretia which has been in pots and troughs this summer. 

And now, back to my reading ... maybe I'll find out whether the Baron did it in the courtyard with a broadsword or it was the Countess with a poisoned hairpin in the bedchamber... 

Sorry to disappoint you but it was the butler in the pantry with a lead pipe.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi pulled a Venetian blind off its fixings last week. I fixed it back but it must have been weakened as I dislodged it this morning, breaking the angle adjuster. It  was in the utility room. It wasn’t an expensive one, we bought it originally to stop the sun shining into Zippy the hamster’s cage. To get one now that looks similar wasn’t cheap so I did try to repair the mechanism that was damaged by the recent fall. I failed so a new one was ordered. Fitting will mean drilling into a steel lintel. It usualltnworksmoutbat one drill bit per hole. Just out of interest, has anyone tried self drilling screws, and would they work in lintel girder steel?

Tony

Try  a Cobalt or Titanium bit, rather than a standard drill.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Tony

You mean self tapping screws, as far as I know they are only for wood. I have a set of carbide steel drills that might be suitable but I'm not sure where I put them. I'll have a look for them tomorrow and if I find them your quite welcome to borrow them.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

We had a great day out at Chatsworth House, as usual, we arrived just before our friends did. It started to rain just as we were leaving home, but halfway there, Sheila had to put her sunglasses on, as it was so bright. We had a short walk before dinner, then a longer one afterwards. On our way back to get a drink mid afternoon, we were just yards away from the cafe door, when it started to rain. By the time we’d finished our drinks, the sun was shining again! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The Eurasian Magpie is spectacular... but lacks the song quality of its Australian namesake

Indeed. For a while I was curious about the possible link between intelligence and vocal ability in a  variety of species but corvids are an exception. Never heard one say anything except 'cark' and perhaps 'cark-ark'. But since they seem to have the ability to teach their offspring the difference between friendly and unfriendly humans, there may be some subtleties I'm missing.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Not happy that this lurgy brings on frequent trips to the smallest room

Agreed! And it's a mystery since I'd swear that every bit of liquid in my body is constantly streaming from my nose. Pah, indeed!

4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Sympathies and positive vibes

Appreciated! Day 3 of solitary confinement completed and in major news, it has been agreed with the authorities that I can have access to my desk and laptop in the living room when everyone else has gone to bed. As long as I wipe down everything I touch with antiviral wipes. Happy to oblige!

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

SWMBOs list of "can you make" is getting longer.. 

Wooden globe about 2 inches across with a hole down the middle, for spindle worlds.

Another wool winder.

Modify this loom with two new rollers and ratchets…

Your wife is into LNER Pacifics, then?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Tony

You know what they say; if it weren't for Venetian blinds, it'd be curtains for all of us! 🤭

• Funny 2